Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Markets for Our Writing » Tor.com

Author Topic: Tor.com
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard they have increased the speed of their turnaround a lot.

And they don't mind stories over 10,000 words.

Posts: 4673 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LDWriter2:

They could hardly have slowed down!
Posts: 3708 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Meredith:
quote:
Originally posted by LDWriter2:

They could hardly have slowed down!
[Big Grin]

I've never submitted to them.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never submitted there, either, but I might now that the response times are coming down. The latest responses I've seen have been in the 50-day range, which is better than a lot of pro markets.
Posts: 966 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JenniferHicks:
I've never submitted there, either, but I might now that the response times are coming down. The latest responses I've seen have been in the 50-day range, which is better than a lot of pro markets.

That's MUCH better. The one rejection I have from there (admittedly a long, long shot) took 249 days.
Posts: 3708 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to those on the WotF forums who like to submit to them, their returns might be cut in half.

But in my experience a lot of pro markets usually take a month to two months but some are trying to speed up.

Asimovs and Analog had decreased their turn around time but then Mr. Schmidt retired and evidently took some staff with him. The new people are Slooow.

Now Tor is working on it too or so it looks like.

I've never sent anything to them because according to Ralan.com they are pricker than even most pros. I probably will go ahead now anyway...always can use new rejections.

Posts: 4673 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you talking about submitting short stories to TOR> What about novels?
Posts: 1561 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
Originally posted by arriki:
Are you talking about submitting short stories to TOR> What about novels?

This, I believe, was about short stories.

If I recall Tor's website correctly, they cite 4 to 6 months for novel submissions.

Ha! Come to think of it, it was the short story "The Bard's Gift", which grew into the novel THE BARD'S GIFT that took 249 days at Tor.com. It'd be really--I don't know if ironic is quite the right word--if I submitted the novel to them and had it accepted. Admittedly, another long shot. [Wink]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.