Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Markets for Our Writing » My Dream Is Dying

Author Topic: My Dream Is Dying
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Analog and Asimov's go bimonthly.

http://www.locusmag.com/News/2016/11/analog-and-asimovs-go-bimonthly/

My dream, when I got into this writing racket, was to sell a story to one of these print magazines. It remains my dream and my goal, though these days it seems even further away than when I started.

The market was small to begin with, and is now even smaller. Publishing less often means less available space.

I suppose I could reconcile myself to some alternate goal---I enjoy "having writ," very much---but it's not the same. One of these days, I'm going to read the last of the print magazines has suspended publication and is all online.

That's not what I want, and, when it happens---it looks like "when," and not "if"---I just don't know if I'll bother any more.

Posts: 8714 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dream has been to appear in F&SF, and they've been bi-monthly since 2009.

Asimov's would be great as well (I began purchasing the magazine since issue #1 when an undergraduate).

However, I don't think I write hard enough stuff for Analog.

Appearing in Mike Resnick's Galaxy's Edge was a thrill. Not only is it published in both ebook and print editions, the issues are free to read on-line for two month's after publication. This means a greater audience, story reviews, and a hard copy to hold in on's hands (and autograph, and bring to cons).

Anthologies nowadays often provide both ebook and print editions. Unlike the magazines, they may have book release parties and readings and signings to participate in.

There are chapbook publishers, which I have not broken into yet, and an increasing number of brilliant small press publishers for novellas and novels.

As for on-line only venues, I was recently published in Cosmic Roots and Eldritch Shores, a subscription ($12 per year) only magazine. The negative is there is no print edition, they have currently a small readership, and non-subscribers cannot read these stories--which means little to no reader or review site feedback. The positive is they pay pro-rate, and the illustrations and artistic layout for the story is (in my humble opinion) spectacular--like having my own illustrated book. Other on-line magazines do publish their contents free, and some illustrate their stories.

I've not yet gone the independent or self-pub ebook or print on-demand route; nor placed stories of mine on Wattpad (which is a free site with a lot of readers who give feedback).

I guess my point is, if you enjoy writing, then write. Send to Asimov's and Analog first; and then proceed from there. The thrill is to get your stories before readers. There remain plenty of avenues to find fulfillment and pleasure.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1471 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the postcard they sent around---I got one from Asimov's yesterday and, being a postal clerk, I happened to see one from Analog for someone else---they'll be six double issues. Thicker (but not as thick as two separate issues).

(They're doing it with their mystery magazines, too---I saw a postcard for Ellery Queen, too.)

Still, it's a shortage of space that won't be made up.

Usually I send to F & SF first. Quicker returns. The last two I had at Analog took about nine months to turn up back in my mailbox.

Posts: 8714 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Death of the sacred dream is but a waystation detour along the Poet's Journey. Next comes a brutal, blunt self-assessment, and consequent adjustment accordingly -- cruelly imposed by the naysayer gatekeepers. Print digests will always be around, even if they appeal only to niche markets. The matter of whether a niche is sufficient for artistic satisfaction, at least a debut entryway, emerges for all Poets.
Posts: 5094 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.