Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Markets for Our Writing » Museum of Words Flash Fiction Contest

Author Topic: Museum of Words Flash Fiction Contest
H Reinhold
Member # 10553

- posted      Profile for H Reinhold   Email H Reinhold         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came across an article about the Museum of Words Flash Fiction Contest, which offers $20,000 for a 100-word story in any genre. Seems legit. The deadline is 23 November 2017 and there is no entry fee. Each writer may submit two stories, although the competition looks pretty tough--in total the contest receives over 35,000 entries.

Anyone up for entering?

Posts: 75 | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilentOne
Member # 4814

- posted      Profile for SilentOne   Email SilentOne         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've thought about it, but something inside me keeps protesting that there must be something morally wrong with anything that will get me $20,000 for 100 words, even if I can't find the problem myself.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The current contest is version V, the fifth, hence established. The contest is more or less a flagship activity of an organization that promotes and advocates multiculturalism and diversity, Fundación César Egido Serrano located in Madrid, Spain. Other organization activities include a Museum of Words, International Day of Words, and acknowledgment by the International Brotherhood of Knights of Don Quixote, Princess of Asturia Foundation, and FAPE (Federación de Asociaciones de Periodistas).

The foundation's averred mission is dissemination of the idea of "The word as a tool to link humanity against all violence." This channels the proverb The pen is mightier than the sword.

The astronomical prize reflects the contest's reputation and generous sapience, and results in winners and runners-up that most represent the organization's ideals and mission. This year's prompt: The Word, spanning the gaps between disparate cultures and religions.

A possible action that occurs to me off the cuff is an international hearing about adding a new volume to scriptures, or compiled into a global belief system anyway, or an allegory in which humanity is tried for sapience aptitude status or competes with other species for sapience aptitude supremacy. Flash fiction and the contest's hundred-word limitation could entail only a denouement's conclusion and perhaps implied, if not declared, maxim that completes an implied and unstated dramatic movement -- the way appealing micro fiction does. Ernest Hemingway's apocryphal "For sale, baby shoes, never worn." ?? I'd shoot for something satiric along the lines of No good deed goes unpunished, at first, though goodness is its own reward long term.

Posts: 5097 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My take on the idea of the pen being mightier than the sword would be to show that the use of words can be just as deadly and tyrannical as coercion through violence.

Incitement of the masses against the status quo through rhetoric as a capital offence being the ironic realisation of such an argument.

Phil.

Posts: 1605 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh, thought and word as fatally coercive as deed!? More than one argument and counterargument entailed therein. What about a synthesis that reconciles the manifold cognitive dissonances thereof? Wayne Booth notes that reconciliation of Kierkegaard's irony's infinite, absolute negativity hypocrisy provides stable access to mutual, global, inferable context, texture, and meaning, (A Rhetoric of Irony).
Posts: 5097 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.