Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Romantic Complications and Resolutions

Author Topic: Romantic Complications and Resolutions
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, what makes a good romantic liaison? (In literature, not in life)

I'm wondering about this because my own perspectives on what is needful in a relationship are perhaps less common then even I had supposed, so I throw the question open in the hope that with discussion, I can get a feel for how not to bewilder and offend my entire audience when talking about the subject.

What elements are necessary to a compelling romantic interest? Which are factors increasing that interest (both for the reader and the character) and which are detrimental to that interest? What other elements, though genuine considerations in real relationships, should be avoided in talking about fictional ones?

Note: I would appreciate it if sexual activity were not discussed in detail. If you think that having sex is an important part of a romantic relationship at any given stage of it's developement, just say so.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
jackonus
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for jackonus   Email jackonus         Edit/Delete Post 
Does that interest have to be shared for your purposes, or is unrequited romantic interest of interest?

I think unrequited love is the most "romantic" of all. It is all about the chase and not about what happens after, in story telling that is.

I think the key elements are the lover and distance from the object of his/her adoration. The notion of perfection in the admired person is hard to sustain once the lover truly encounters his/her beloved. The sheen wears off in the face of truth.

Or, the story becomes so saccharine that no reader would spend time with it.

Much of what we call romantic comedy these days (sex included) is just a variation on that theme. Ever notice how the principal characters never seem to actually connect, even if they physically are involved? There are separations of understanding that take the place of the older style unrequited love. This is physical love without the depth of interpersonal knowledge. The couples seem to spar rather than learn more about each other. Whether they stay together or break up is secondary to the plot. What really matters is the process, nowadays.

I think this is just a modern take on the old theme of the lover's quest. Striving for the person is only worthy of telling the tale if the loved one is somehow unattainable. There must be an element of tragedy or the lover is just a fool.

Posts: 303 | Registered: Feb 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

That is a very intersting point. Love is always unresolved, because even if you do get together, you still aren't perfectly aligned. I don't know that it's universally true, but it is a very compelling point.

So you have to be searching for something in a relationship that you will never actually secure. Whether it is the guy longing after a woman that is 'out of his league' or a woman hoping that her 'bad boy' will turn around, or just the couple that is chasing after 'happily ever after', a goal that it is logically impossible to secure before the end of time (or their deaths, which seems more probable ), there is interest as long as they are always getting closer towards something that is never attained.

So one thing that draws our interest is that the characters are trying for something that is unattainable. Once they attain everything that they want from a relationship, there is no point in continuing it, either for the character or for the reader.

jackonus
Member # 132

Yep. I think we can find proof of this phenomenon in the cancellation of many hit TV series once the two circling lovers come in for a landing. It's always a sign that the end is near. (I looked for this in the Apocalypse of John, but the quest for love is not one of the four horsemen. Darn.)

I think this happened in Moonlighting. It's about to happen in the X-files. There are others I can't think of at the moment.

I did think of another romantic convention, however, that is not "unrequited." The old couple holding hands walking in the park. We look at them and admire how they've kept the relationship so tender after all these years. (Never mind that she's grabbing onto him to make sure he doesn't fall and break a hip, or wander off and start a fire in the nearest trash can .

I think the hardest thing would be to show a true romance that is not insipid and exists between two moderately youngish people. The comedy potential is high here, but the actual interest in the love angle once the couple is a couple? Nil.

Survivor
Member # 213

I liked Mad About You, that one with Helen Hunt and Paul Reiser. I don't think that they were insipid or way too old to be interesting. And come to think of it, I've seen a few 'old demented partner' relationships that were funny and interesting just because of the fire setting or major health complication potential.

I think that if Scully and Mulder ever got together, it would signal that Fox had lost his passion for hunting aliens, or maybe that Scully couldn't help him anymore. She's too important to him as an ally for him to risk what taking her as a lover might do to their relationship. And she cares about him to much to stop being what he needs, a careful and exact investigator.

The main problem with maintaining a relationship after the 'chase' is over is that too many people that write these things think that once the relationship is 'consumated' it then should be completely free of hardship or trials if ithe love is 'true'. So they are stuck with the idea that if there are any difficulties, then the characters should abandon the relationship and go their separate ways, with all potential for further romance killed off (or even more sickly, they have the characters break up and get together in the sort of disfunctional cycle that makes any sane person want to puke).

Take Mulder and Scully. After the first episode we know that they are going to stick together. That's not even an issue. And we also know that they won't 'get it on' unless their partnership fails in some critical way. But that doesn't make us less interested in the crises that threaten their relationship in various ways.

I just don't see that there is any real barrier to writing about people that have stable, committed relationships. I mean, the question 'will they do it' is out of the picture, but there is a question that is even more compelling, 'how do they do it'. Like when you watch a nature documentary about crocodiles. It's less interesting whether they get a particular animal than how they do it. Or maybe it's just me. But it can't be just me, because whenever the prey gets away, they explain what went wrong and show the crocodile getting the next victim good . I love that stuff.

Okay, crocodiles...er, love, I mean. What's up with that?

Rball
Member # 397

- posted      Profile for Rball   Email Rball         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC's Lost Boys is a great example of that, I thought. If you've not read it yet, it's a good one.
-Ryan

Posts: 445 | Registered: Feb 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, it's okay. The relationship stresses were a little too dramatic for me, I guess.
joanuvark
Member # 426

- posted      Profile for joanuvark   Email joanuvark         Edit/Delete Post 
yea, i'd have to say that stable relationships are more interesting(or at least as interesting) to me than 'the chase' or whatever. That is, if it's only -part- of the story. if it's the whole plot (love story), well, i'm not into that so i can't help ye. What makes stable relationships interesting is that they still aren't just 'happily ever after', so things still happen to keep interest...or something like that
Posts: 1160 | Registered: Mar 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
jackonus
Member # 132

I think it is much more difficult to write well about a stable relationship. If someone can pull that off, its probably because they are a better writer than the ones who have written just about "the chase."

I think Mad About You is not such a great example of a stable relationship. I think they circled each other while married.

Actually, I thought of one print relationship that is kind of romantic and works well. Does anyone else get the "Sally Forth" comic strip? She and her hubby are a model of romance and deep interaction. Odd to say that from a comic strip, but if you read through the things where they deal with work and their smart-as-a-whip kid, I think there's something there that most novels about relationships just don't have.

Survivor
Member # 213

I don't know that I would call the relationship in Mad About You perfect example of a stable relationship, but there was no question that they were committed to each other. Even the episodes dealing with disaffection and the potential for infidelity did so under the basic assumption of the fundamental reality and endurance of their marriage.

But more importantly, I don't think that I wanted to just get stuck talking about whether a committed relationship can be interesting. I will assert a priori for the remainder of this discussion that such relationships can be interesting. I feel perfectly justified in doing this because not only is it true, but because only after accepting that such relationships are interesting can we begin to discuss the question of how to make them interesting in literature.

Only the most purile literature doesn't assume that there is something permenent and lasting about a romantic affiliation, even if all that lasts is memory (I know that some literature presumes that conquest after debachery after conquest and so on is interesting, but I regard such as not properly belonging to a discussion of romance, since it is merely a history of unrestrained appetite).

So, what makes a relationship interesting?

jackonus
Member # 132

depth of interpersonal interaction. The writer has to explore the nooks and crannies.
Toni Finley
Member # 416

- posted      Profile for Toni Finley   Email Toni Finley         Edit/Delete Post 
it's interesting when characters discover themselves through their interactions with their significant others. after all, that's what relationships are supposed to do, give people space to learn how to learn each other and themselves. you can't love yourself if you don't accept yourself, and you can't accept yourself if you don't know yourself. so characters who discover themselves, as well as each other, are the most interesting to me.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

So, what kinds of things should our primaries discover about each other through the action of the story?

And where does falling in love fit in?

W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for W.P. Morgenstien   Email W.P. Morgenstien         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, well, well! The long lost has returned to the stomping ground to find something here worth looking at! How about that. Hi, guys (figuratively speaking of course), remember me???

This is a really good question and one that deserves to be discussed at length. Far too many writers substitute sex for romance, and that might just work if the reader has never learned the difference. But there is a difference, a big one! Romance is not a requisite for sex, neither is sex required for romance. If I could just go back to a few points already made to state my stand on this:

I don't believe that the only love story worth telling is unrequited love. Maybe it's because I've been there, and it's not romantic, it's just painful. (Side note - have you ever noticed that most "romance" novels have one of five plots. No kidding! 97% of the time, the plot is unrequited love. That's because the criteria for stories they will accept and publish is incredibly detailed and confined, even down to the fact that they are almost required to have sex before they marry. You write the editors idea of romance, or they don't buy. There is not much room for individualism. Pitiful, isn't it?)

No one ever attains everything they want from any relationship! There are always challenges, ranging from simple to complex, to be dealt with in day to day dealings with the person you love and live with.

TV shows end because the writers run out of ideas, not because the characters decide to get together. "Hey, Ernie, whadda we do now? They've already slept together...Now we have no plot!" Forgive me for saying so, but Scully and Mulder don't really count - the entire show, let alone a relationship, is way too contrived for any part of it to count as realistic! (I'm sure I can expect heated debate about that one! )

Last of all, and most importantly is the point Jackonus made about the old couple walking through the park, hand in hand. Well, now - what has happened in their lives, and their life together to bring them this close together this strongly? Are we to throw away all those years and important events that occured between the time they fell in love all the way up to the time they are old and feeble and cute?

That, gentlepeople, is the story worth telling! Exploring every part, every piece, every joy, every heartache, every hardship that binds two people inseperably together. That is romance with all it's parts intact - the fluttery heart at first meeting, the thrill of the chase, the commitment of a lifetime together with all it's ups and downs, and the best resolution of all!

Our job as writers is to bring even the most trivial, yet the most endearing traits and events to life. How boring is hearing that a man loves his wife enough to get dressed in the middle of the night and go get her 7up because she's sick - or that he stays right by her, holding her hand, while the doctors run an excruciatingly painful test that will determine if they will ever have children? But I can tell you from personal experience that there is nothing, absolutely nothing that cements the hearts of two people together than these sorts of things that seem so boring and trivial, and not worth writing about.

[This message has been edited by W.P. Morgenstien (edited May 09, 2000).]

Posts: 63 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeannette Hill
Member # 317

- posted      Profile for Jeannette Hill   Email Jeannette Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
In the novels I've read, the most interesting relationships are those that "work" despite all odds, or those that the people involved have to work at. The one Survivor mentioned, between what's-their-names on Mad About You, was interesting because they worked at it. They faced both the daily and long-term challenges of being married and sticking to it. Of course, they had the benefit of script, but the situations were mostly realistic, and resolved in a more-or-less plausible fashion. (Now, if Stephen Wright and Larry Miller were *my* best friends, I think I'd be a little weird, too... ;P).
In any plotline, romantic or otherwise, there has to be some conflict or challenge. Otherwise, it isn't interesting, it's just: boy (or girl) meets girl (or boy), fall in love or sleep together, (not necessarily in that order), their parents and friends all approve, they live happily ever after, neither one of them getting seriously ill, no miscarriages, no affairs, no problem children. YAAAAWWWWWWNNNNNNN!!!!! Not that I like to see bad things happen to people in real life, but in a story/novel/movie, that's what makes it all the better when things turn out okay. (Or, in a dark-future setting, explains why the relationship doesn't work, despite all the effort to make it).

Posts: 79 | Registered: Dec 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for W.P. Morgenstien   Email W.P. Morgenstien         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly!

Just an example: Has anyone seen the old Mel Gibson movie titled "the River"? A story of a couple who love each other very much, and are going through a very hard time in their lives. I think the one scene that stands out most in my memory is while he is out of town finding work, she curls up with his pillow to sleep. I know exactly how she felt! Great story, perhaps not overtly a romance, but a great love story worth telling.

Posts: 63 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that the relationship between Spenser and Susan in Robert B Parker's Spenser novels might be worth noting. They aren't married. In one novel they toyed with the idea of marrying but decided against it. They sleep together at "his" place or at "her" place often. Yet there is something more like the "romance" you guys seem to be talking about in their relationship as it continues through something like 37 novels.

I think something of the same sort went on between the two main characters in the "art lover's mysteries" by Iain Pears.

The couples in both evolved to a point and then seem to hang there with few changes, but changes, through a series of adventures. With both of them couples, both of them -- like with X-FILES -- are involved to some extent in the adventures. But with Parker and Pears, the romance is more subtle(?). And it is involved in domestic matters as well as the adventure.

Hmmm...now I'm going to have to re-read and see what IS different.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing about being married is you don't stop getting crushes on other people. Now he may reasons that getting a crush on a guy is different from getting a crush on another woman, but in terms of his marriage, what is the difference? Is he a man who questions his commitment to his wife based on attraction to some other person (or anger toward his wife) or not?
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive me for bringing up the obvious, but have you seen "Brokeback Mountain?" I avoided the movie for oh-so-long because of all the hullabaloo about it. However, I broke down and watched it a couple of weeks ago. It was one of those movies that left me thinking for days afterward, and the reason was that once you strip away the character's gender, the core is a lovestory where the lovers are unable to find a way to be together. Everyone, regardless of gender, can identify with that premise.

Identify the core conflict and then you will be able to write your story.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.