Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Story Idea: Human TV is the worst pollution in the Galaxy

Author Topic: Story Idea: Human TV is the worst pollution in the Galaxy
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
So aliens come down and tell our government we have to stop all TV broadcasts. Being we have a stupid president at the time, he tells them about a little thing we call the First Ammendment. Being they are technologically advanced and really upset about the TV broadcasts, they invade, and when they see us up close they decide they're going to have to stick around and see that our society is purged of all our devient (from their perspective) behaviors (war, rape, murder, stealing, and so forth).

Some people welcome the alien "liberators" and their laws but a lot of us are madder than whatever and try to fight the "alien overlords" and their "oppressive cultural imperialism".

What do you think?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this has been done before many times, but if you do a good job that shouldn't matter much.

Any why are they sticking their noses into this?
Who's paying their costs?
Where are they from?
If they are so peaceful why do they have the weaponry to take over a planet?
What are they eating, and where are they staying?
How do they know our language?
If they are so tech. advanced how is possible to resist at all?
If any violence is, for them, wrong than how did they survive on their planet? (Assuming a carnivor-hebavor-etc. chain)
The more I think about it, more obvious questions arise...

[This message has been edited by Phanto (edited April 13, 2003).]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds okay, but I'd give it a twist. Earth has just discovered it's first inhabited planet and when the scientists land they find massive mental and physical illness. Yet, they also find aliens who are perfectly healthy who are scared for their people. The scientists discover the root cause of this is television. Now, for the sake of preservation, the scientists must go back to earth and convince humanity that television broadcasts must cease.

You can even give the aliens television sets (if they have any technology, this wouldn't be too hard to pull off), and they accidently tapped into our television broadcasts but they don't know what it is. Thus, when the scientists land, they are preceived as gods.

What I don't like about the idea is that (1) it sounds too much like A Stranger in a Strange Land and (2) I really don't like the notion of the aliens being messiah-figures.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited April 13, 2003).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

Survivor, earlier you expressed something along the lines of "pukes at the word SF and what the kind of stuff that entails". I agree slightly, which is why when I see a SF story I just ask one question. Why the hell is this happening? It gets me in the critical mood that the author has to dispell.
For example, in Ender's Game the entire alien invasion makes sense.

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor, I like it. I'm not sure about the invasion to "purge" the human race of its ills, but I definitely like the idea of human TV as pollution.

It touches on part of the reason Osama Bin Laden hates America so much. In his culture, people behave themselves because the temptations to misbehave are removed. American culture, which allows scantily-clad women to prance around on Baywatch and everyone to have a beer when it's Miller Time, induces and even encourages evil. I think Osama really would view our TV as the worst pollution in the world.

So, what will be the perspective of your story? Will the reader love the aliens or hate them? Will the aliens win? Will an Earth hero defeat them, leaving Earth free to broadcast Saved by the Bell and Will and Grace to an otherwise wholesome galaxy?

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

Darn, why does politics always enter into it?
" It touches on part of the reason Osama Bin Laden hates America so much. "

How can you say why he does anything?

" In his culture,people behave themselves because the temptations to misbehave are removed. "
lol, that's like saying by taking away food from people they won't eat.

Anyway, please let's not turn this into a political debate, and stick to talking about Survivor's ideas - so feel free to ignore my rant.

[This message has been edited by Phanto (edited April 13, 2003).]

Penboy_np
Member # 1615

- posted      Profile for Penboy_np   Email Penboy_np         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's an interesting concept, but it seems a little bit too bare bones for me to grasp it.

Phanto outlined most of the major questions involved. If you can explain them all in a story and you don't make the reader go 'Huh?' then by all means, go for it.

I had a conversation recently with a friend of mine, and we came to the conclusion that there's only about five or six truely origional ideas left out there. What you need to do is look at something in an interesting way. So if your idea has already been done, it doesn't matter. What you need to do is find a way to look at it like no one else has.

If you think you can look at this in a different way, then by all means, write away and I'd love to read it.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Kudos to Doc Brown on picking up on the not so subtle political elements of all this. Right at this very moment, we are engaged in an attack on a regime that we find unacceptable...because they might be providing weapons and support to terrorists that might attack us. I don't want to be overly critical of the war (which I happen to agree is necessary even if some of the decisions along the way made me grit my teeth a bit), but I do think that in science fiction we can give ourselves a chance to pull a role reversal.

Answering Phanto's comments:

The aliens care about this because anyone in their multi-species culture can configure a fairly ordinary communications device to intercept and decode our transmissions. Once our language was decoded and they realized the implications of the content of what we were broadcasting, all reputable researchers stopped watching them, but there has been a growing underculture of terrorism, violence, carnality, and nihilism in their previously very peaceful society fed by secret consumers of our cultural "filth". It has been going on for decades, and despite attempts to set up jamming and so forth, our technology relies on far more powerful signels than the aliens are accustomed to using (they have advanced in the direction of greater sensitivity and refinement, technologically as well as culturally).

The costs of the diplomatic mission were funded originally by the interstellar federation, and the current "invasion" is also funded by that government, because they really have a serious problem as a result of our increasingly violent and carnal broadcasts.

"They" are from a couple of thousand different worlds, though only the nearest hundred or so are close enough to Earth to have recieved our broadcasts.

They are peaceful, but technologically advanced. They don't want to take us over directly by brute force, for the most part their method is to offer really good deals in exchange for getting their way. They don't even use lethal weapons (though they do use a sort of "brain reformatting" regression on some really bad individuals). They studied our language intensely before realizing whar our broadcasts contained, so they all talk in fiftiesish dialects of the various major languages on TV back then But because they are so peaceful and nonviolent, human guerrillas can often manage to inflict some degree of harm on them without too much risk (aside from being caught and sent to a really posh rehab--unless they decide to reformat your brain).

Their culture has no problem with violence against nonsentient life at all, in fact, they don't even make a distinction between "living" and "nonliving"--a sentient computer has the same rights as a human would have under their law, and a fish has about the same rights as a rock (various higher animals have intermediate levels of rights in their law). A human built supercomputer might have about the same rights as a dog, dolphins are about the level of the computers that run the aliens ships (thus the ships themselves are actually citizens, albeit of a tertiary class).

And finally, I didn't say, "pukes at the word SF and what the kind of stuff that entails". I was puking at the implication that a group of science fiction writers would borrow a page from Jordon on what to call themselves.

In Ender's Game the invasion makes no sense at all. The humans have no idea at all exactly why the aliens attacked them, and frankly I can't figure it out either. Sure, they couldn't communicate with us...but shouldn't they have taken a hint when we started shooting at them?

Penboy, there were never any "truely origional ideas left out there." There weren't even truly original ones But I take your point kindly.

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Doc, "I definitely like the idea of human TV as pollution," and far be it for me to defend TV, but if we're talking humans, they'll misbehave without temptations. They'll just do it more with them.

Besides facts like Osama's culture burning only half the duo of out-of-wedlock sexual encounters and cutting off offending limbs for stealing, I remember the old USSR had great problems with prostitution, which dilemma they simply denied existed.

Neither a heavy-handedly nor a benevolently repressive regime changes the nature of man. Then, too, those in power--whether in suppressive regimes or just societies--seem hell-bent on proving the old adage about the corrupting influence of power.

I've never read Jordan and had no idea I was borrowing from him, but isn't imitation the most perfect form of flattery? Although I generally prefer something original (even though there is "no new thing under the sun") would he really have minded?

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Deny all you like, Phanto, but Osama has never been subtle about why he dislikes America. It's our culture of temptation that he hates. And it's always been sci-fi's mission to challenge social and political ideas of all types.

My impression is that Survivor's story idea touches on the most important issue of the 21st century: what is the nature of human free will?

Generally, Western philosophers subscribe to a causeless free will. It does not matter if you've been exposed to viloence and pronography all your life, you alone are responsible for the assaults, murders, rapes, and adultry you commit.

But many Eastern thinkers differ on the point. Budhists have this thought that we are not captains of our own ships, that our thoughts and actions are influenced by the world around us. In some respects Islam takes it a step further: having sex out of wedlock is a sin, but the cause of the sin is sexual arousal. It is a woman's responsibility to make sure that no man but her husband ever experience any arousal from seeing her. Their rules on alcohol and many food products are similar.

To them the sinner is responsible for the sin, but the tempter is also responsible. This is very different from our culture, in which the tempter bears no responsibility.

Suppose a highly advanced alien race held some variation of the Eastern philosophy. If their rates of adultry and drug abuse were increasing, they might blame our broadcasts. Even as they punish their adulterers, they'd be sending a fleet to punish us!

What sort of punishment would they impose?

Assuming they gave us the opportunity to justify ourselves, what sort of defense would we present?

This could be very cool!

Now you've just got to work out the logistics. Assuming they live many lightyears away, by the time they arrive to bring us to justice there will already be centuries worth of Baywatch reruns floating around the galaxy!

Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question about this premise: do you explain why these distant aliens have the same, or at least similar, opinions on what is moral and ethical as humans hold? I understand if it fits the conceit of the story for them to view our television like members of the religious right (for example), but I was wondering if you have an explanation beyond that?

The natural assumption is that aliens would at minimum have their own cultural and ethical morays, and at most would be so different from us physically, mentally, and emotionally that they'd neither understand nor form a strong opinion of our entertainment at all. What is their context for understanding "necessary" human violence, (i.e. war in a just cause)? Are they ultra-pacifists, in whose society violence is never acceptable? Can they discern comedic violence from serious (i.e., cartoons)?

It sounds like a very interesting idea...I'm just curious about the rules you are going to establish to make it work.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

quote:

Urh..rruogh...hak ak
Okay, now that I've finished throwing up at the implications for what we are including as science fiction....

besides for the lack of smileys, this is the quote I derived that from. Thanks for explaining what it meant -- the way it's phrased seems closer to my interpertation of it, though.

I refuse to discuss politics in this thread, if you want to debate contact me at my email, yos@gis.net.

I would enjoy reading the story of the aliens more, as opposed to what occurs on earth.

Cosmi
Member # 1252

- posted      Profile for Cosmi   Email Cosmi         Edit/Delete Post 
QUOTE: "Darn, why does politics always enter into it?"

isn't one of the primary functions of SF to serve as commentary on society and the ramifications of some sort of change (albeit in SF the human figures are often alien and the change is a "futurized" parallel rather than a duplicate). like one novel-length euphemism? that's always been my take anyway.

TTFN & lol

Cosmi

Posts: 160 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

FYI, if you want to quote on the forums we use ]quote[ then ]/quote[. (I did the []s backwards.)

Well, you are probably right, but generally, it's about a theme in general, not a specific one like Osy's motives...

Survivor
Member # 213

Well, I assume that any interstellar culture would probably have to value peace and social stability quite highly, and a culture that had to deal with many different intelligent species as well as artificial intelligences would necessarily need a value system that recognized sentience as literally more important than life. Nonviolence would be important to them. I don't know that they would care about sexual content so much, certainly with many different species they would have a tolerant attitude towards different types of sexuality (in fact, maybe from our perspective it is the aliens that are perverted )

As for logistics, I'm assuming that they have faster than light travel and are actively working on jamming our signels to a satisfactory extent. Or they have faster than light communication and can send a fleet from the planet nearest us, so it gets here in only about 20 years after they first decided our broadcasts were posing a real and unavoidable danger to their society. Say five years from now. (Of course, this means that most of the aliens are semi-humaniod looking hermaphoditic invertabrates that reproduce by means of group sex--which they are not shy about doing in public )

They aren't really interested in punishing us, per se. Even brain reformatting is regarded more as a form of extreme medical intervention rather than a punishment (though of course humans call it "zombification" and regard it as a horrifying atrocity). They don't care if our televised violence is real and necessary or pretend and gratuitous, all they care about is that it deomonstrably causes anti-social behavior in habitual consumers, and it is also highly addictive to some species.

Anyway, to clear things up a bit, those of us that oppose the aliens regard them much like Osama and Saddam view us, while the aliens view us much the way we view Osama and Saddam. They are invading our planet much as America is invading Iraq--with near irresistable technological and material superiority...but with limited numbers and rigid ethical limitations on the use of violence that can be explioted. They are doing it for reasons that seem perfectly rational to them (and to some of us as well), but the resistence finds their reasons stupid and insist that they are intent on stealing Earth's natural resources or exterminating the human race or some such blather.

The trick, of course, is that I am telling the story from the point of view of a resistance fighter A good ol' American intent on defending the first and second Amendments (as I mentioned, the aliens don't use or condone any form of lethal weapons--and they find all religions that aren't essentially pacifistic unthinkably evil, if you aren't Amish, you're out of luck ).

P.S. the USSR doesn't have anything on China, they claimed to have exterminated rats and flies.

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Survivor, you've got a great idea.

I really think your biggest problem will be technological credibility. IMO you can't be wimpy or unsure about it. Early in the story, you need to state in absolute terms that the aliens have a way to pick up UHF/VHF signals with great clarity across vast distances at speeds much greater than light. The technology must be ubiquitous, and it must work remotely (that is, there can't be an alien-run relay station near Earth) because responsibility for the broadcasts must lie completely in the hands of the human race. It would also help if the alien civilization depended on the technology for its survival.

The reason I suggest this is that you probably don't want to get stuck with an obvious technological solution to the problem. That's too much of a Star Trekish, win-win, happy ending style for this story. It must be clear from page one that your resistance fighter and the rigidly ethical aliens cannot avoid some sort of conflict.

In fact, a good opening scene for the story might be the moment when the aliens' last hope for a technological solution (perhaps the jamming you mentioned earlier?) fails. It would be especially poiniant if jamming has been a successful TV pollution solution against other primitive cultures, but for some reason (perhaps the location of the Earth) it won't work in this case. The aliens have always considered invasion their "Plan B" and they've never actually had to do it before. They are terrified about the ethical implications of invasion, but they have no choice. IMO this would make your aliens even more sympathetic, and your story even more compelling.

Tangent
Member # 1191

- posted      Profile for Tangent   Email Tangent         Edit/Delete Post 
I see one problem.

"Um, Mr. Alien... if you hated our 50s and 60s television... you're REALLY going to hate us in 40 years..." <evil grin> You see... doesn't matter WHAT they do. They're going to be stuck with decades of "bad" TV, and by censoring at the source, it's going to create a massive black market for the programming and the like.

In fact, it would be ironic if the Earthling Resistance fails. We become civilized. And the race falls to civil war and another fleet shows up insisting we start up our bad ways again OR ELSE.

Robert A. Howard

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, I'm positing that humans enjoy the dubious distinction of being the most technologically advanced violent race in the galaxy. Everyone else as violent as us always manages to bomb themselves back into the stone age every time they get close to television broadcasts.

The aliens take an active interest in emerging interstellar cultures, which are fairly rare (out of the billions of stars in the galaxy, less than ten thousand have given birth to sentient cultures...blah blah blah). They've actually had researchers monitoring our planet for the last hundred years. But of course, being a cautious and not particularly aggressive society, they only hang out several light seconds from Earth and try to decipher our radio signals (which are unusually strong, as I've already mentioned). So they are actually up to date on just how bad our television is now. Also, while the nearest alien world is forty light years from Earth, bootleggers can drop right into our solar system, pick up our most recent broadcasts, and beam them instantaneously anywhere in the galaxy (by the way, aliens also learned about bootlegging from human TV). As long as the bootleggers stay a couple of days out from Earth, they're nearly impossible to catch.

So it really isn't entirely Earth's fault that our TV poses a danger to the alien civilization, if the aliens would all just not tune in, it wouldn't matter. The problem is that a small percentage (0.0023% and growing) do consume our entertainment (and news) and act out what they see.

I think that I would rather tell the story of a person living on Earth after the "invasion", with the presence of aliens an accomplished fact. So on one level, the story is about First and Second Amendment freedoms in the U.S., but on a subtextual level it is about being a Baathist in coalition occupied Iraq. As I think about it, though, I guess I'll mostly drop the subtext...mostly.

Fahrion Kryptov
Member # 1544

- posted      Profile for Fahrion Kryptov   Email Fahrion Kryptov         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems similar to Rush's 2112 album after the presentation of an ancient instrument in the advanced culture-

[snip]*

They sought to crush the ancient music because it could spark "evil" in the modern world. Substitute "television" and it seems similar... I think. Am I completely wrong? You're saying that these alien officials want to censor and/or destroy our broadcasting because of its cumulative negative effects. However, these officials are stuck between a rock and a hard place: if they conduce or at least allow the spread of television, more will become effected and pose a danger to society; however, if they try to wipe it out entirely it will cause the contraband distribution of illicit material. Interesting...

* Sorry, but lyrics are copyrighted material and may not be quoted even under Fair Use.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited April 16, 2003).]

Posts: 101 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Survivor, here's something to consider:

Your alien race will have a weaker moral argument than an Osama-type character. Human TV will be passively pollution-like, while American culture is aggressive. American culture has active salesmen hyping Porky's and Independence Day to foriegn networks. We really should get credit/blame for the consequences, and we know it. It's an interesting position.

But in the case of your aliens, the bootleggers are the ones in the most interesting position. The humans produced the stuff, but non-human bootleggers distribute it. They know the stuff they are selling is "contaminating" the alien culture, but they also believe in something like our Second Amendment.

Thus, you might give your resistance-fighter protagonist a more intense moral conflict with the aliens by giving him an alien bootlegger for a best friend. Or at least have him meet one of the bootleggers during the story.

Have you got a resolution in mind? Will there be a fight? Some sort of alien courtroom confrontation? Or perhaps a bizarre Twilight Zone style ending?

Survivor
Member # 213

Well, from the alien's point of view they have a very strong case. Consumption of human TV is directly related to outbreaks of violence, which simply did not occur prior to the availability of human TV.

The bootleggers may not exactly believe in the Second Amendment, but they are generally less shy about violence and other kinds of criminality. But there is absolutely no reasonable scenario in which the protagonist would ever meet or associate with one such. So I guess that will just have to fall by the wayside.

For a resolution, I think that the protagonist needs to resolve his own moral ambiguity about the aliens. Either he will have to embrace their culture or he will have to embrace a view in which they are unquestionably evil...at least, if I decide to make that the conflict. Perhaps I should make the conflict more limited in scope, like he has some friends in the resistance on one hand but also some friends that favor the aliens on the other hand. Whatever. I'll figure it out.

Narvi
Member # 1376

- posted      Profile for Narvi   Email Narvi         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's a serious plot hole here. Why don't the aliens just give us the high-efficiency receivers? Come down, announce that our TV is messing things up, and offer to replace our entire communications infrastructure with one that only penetrates the ionosphere for targetted tight-band sattelite-bounce links. Their technology and industrial infrastructure does all the work, and we get a completely revamped communications network (e.g. truly global CD-quality cell-phone coverage). There's no real obstacle to that, and no credible reason I can see that Earth would object.

Of course, if the aliens feal the need to liberate us from our violent culture, that's different, but that also puts a very different moral spin on things.

This doesn't nessesarily kill the idea. Maybe they *did* do this and no the bootleggers are landing on Earth to get the signals. The alien authorities want Terran help in tracking them down. Meanwhile, the humans are trying to get more technology from the aliens, who are reluctant to (e.g.) turn over the secrets of planet-cracking (the trick is cold-fusion) to a race which still engages in warfare. Or something like that....

Posts: 66 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Penboy_np
Member # 1615

- posted      Profile for Penboy_np   Email Penboy_np         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, I got the idea that this was going to be a humerous story. People seem to be taking it awfully serious.

Is it supposed to be funny? If it is, then you've got alot more fictional leeway so I wouldn't worry about things as much. If not... Doesn't it sem like a bit of a strange story?

Posts: 42 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Good luck, Survivor.

I have confidence that you can make anything work, but I also believe that by splitting the blame between the humans and the bootleggers you will weaken the story's morality. What is the Resistance Movement resisting? The right to transmit violent TV broadcasts? Wouldn't the aliens simply demand that we restrain our violent movies to cable, and keep them off the broadcast and satellite channels? If your hero is so fanatical that he insists that violence must be broadcast to everyone in the galaxy, he's going to lose some reader sympathy.

What if the aliens had made a choice he didn't like? Suppose their choices were a) stop the bootleggers using technology, or b) invade the Earth and impose censorship. Suppose the alien governemnt decided that invading was cheaper? Stopping the bootleggers would cost $1,000,000 and invading Earth would cost $999,999. They invade the Earth to save $1.

Maybe the aliens are trying to pass a tax cut. Sure, they're an advanced civilization with a strict moral code, but a buck is a buck!

A human protagonist who resented the aliens for that would get plenty of reader sympathy. It's just the kind of logic that might sound good to an alien, but really piss off a human.

Survivor
Member # 213

No, stopping the bootleggers is simply not possible. For one thing, they have access to the same level of technology the alien "government" has (the aliens can't afford a strongly centralized government for the several hundred thousand inhabited...regions the civilization covers, and if they could afford it they wouldn't know how to implement it). For another much worse thing, the bootleggers are criminals trained in the art of bootlegging by much watching of TV. They use honest to Vortrax lethal weapons and lie, cheat and steal to boot.

Which is why the aliens are trying to totally replace our communications infrastructure...but they can't just give us the technology. They either have to boot-strap (well, technically not) us up to the point where we can implement the technology ourselves (which doesn't resolve the question of whether we will then use that technology the way they tell us and only the way they tell us--not even the aliens are that stupidly naive) or they have to install, maintain, and ensure compliance their own selves. In the first case (which as I've said, they aren't stupid enough to do), they would definitely need to alter our culture significantly for that to be safe. In the latter case (which is what they're opting for), they need to have non-violent humans in charge that they can interface without to much danger.

Like I said, the vast majority of the human race has allowed themselves to be bribed...but some humans have stuck to their guns--as well as their principles.

There is an element of humor in the situation (I mean, the aliens use all sorts of just plain funny non-lethal weapons, like the anti-equipment grenade which causes your clothes to liquify and the orgasmo-ray which immobalizes by means of...well, you know). But the very humor of it makes the issues deadly serious. Is the human race really going to give up our dignity and independence for sex toys and cell phones? There be a lot of people that would fight that pretty hard.

Anyway, I like the comments. It maketh my brain to stew (or..whatever)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.