Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » song lyrics

Author Topic: song lyrics
rjzeller
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I think I already know the answer to this, but:

What is the rule regarding use of song lyrics in a story? In a book I've just completed, I have lyrics from a couple popular groups referenced in the text (which full credit to the musical groups, of course).

However, this still strikes me as a copyrite infringement. Is this correct? Is there some guidline on how many lines from a given song I could use or the context I would be able to use them in under fair use? Should I seek permission from the musicians (hard if I don't know how to contct them)?

Thoughts?

Posts: 207 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nexus Capacitor
Member # 1694

- posted      Profile for Nexus Capacitor   Email Nexus Capacitor         Edit/Delete Post 
You have to get permission for any copyrighted song lyrics. The recording industry is insanely protective.

Of course, any musician can make a song based on your book without fear. (You shouldn't be upset about this either. It's free promotion.)

Posts: 144 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nexus Capacitor
Member # 1694

- posted      Profile for Nexus Capacitor   Email Nexus Capacitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah. Just contact the record company listed on the CD case. If they don't own the copyright, they will know who does.
Posts: 144 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
reid
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for reid           Edit/Delete Post 
Neil Gaiman has a few entries about this process in his American Gods blog. Start here...

http://www.neilgaiman.com/archive/2001_02_01_archive.asp

Regards,

Brian

Posts: 63 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
lindsay
Member # 1741

- posted      Profile for lindsay   Email lindsay         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine ran into this trouble a while back with one of her published books. She wanted to use J. Joplin lyrics-the Bobby Magee song. Specifically, she wanted to start chapters with bits of the lyrics. However, this resulted in a huge back-and-forth flurry of communications. End result was, she couldn't use the words at the beginnings of chapters without paying for the usage.

In the end, she opted to use what she wanted in quotes; i.e., dialogue. So there's an option for you. Use the references as part of dialogue.

The main character of the story had lost everything in his life, hence the author wanting to use, in some way, the whole idea of "freedom being just another word for nothing left to lose."

The book got published, the words (and their very critical meaning in terms of story line) got into the book.

And the hero in the book? He named his boat (which played a huge role in the story) "The Bobby Magee."

Just a thought...

Posts: 87 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rjzeller
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
That last post is an intriguing thought. I'd have a hard time with it, though. You see, the premise is the main character hears this song and it awakens some long lost memories in him.

Music and smell are very powerful to teh senses and have a tendency to stir up old memories, so I was going to use a U2 song as a tool to do this - the lyrics fit the storyline very well. I suppose I could just make up a group and a song, but this one just seemed for viable since it was a real song.

I don't mind paying a fee...to a point. I guess I'll be giving Island records a call and seeing what they have to say. Thanks all.

Posts: 207 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.