Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Bootcamp part4 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Bootcamp part4
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. I'm glad others haven't heard anything either, so it's not just me. I was starting to be paranoid they'd just lost my application in the mail or something.

<-- Has never been very good at waiting.

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited April 17, 2004).]

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nexus Capacitor
Member # 1694

- posted      Profile for Nexus Capacitor   Email Nexus Capacitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Same here. I was going to wait until Monday and then give a shout to Kathleen to see if she knew anything (or could ask.)

I thought maybe the mail might have been delayed because of Good Friday.

Posts: 144 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary Grant Morris
Member # 1994

- posted      Profile for Gary Grant Morris   Email Gary Grant Morris         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, April 15th (the deadline) was like Christmas Day, only Santa didn't deliver. And it's a tad chilly sleeping outside next to the mailbox.

Anyway, I'll post when/if I hear anything.

Gary

Posts: 150 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
If it makes you guys feel any better, last year I seem to recall the notification riding the edge of the deadline, in fact, I think it was a few days late. (It's all fuzzy...after I got in I didn't care about the wait anymore ) They actually called me, but that was at a different school, so I don't know if that's what they'll do this year. They called first, and a few days later they sent more info through the mail.

Just so you know camping out by your phone may end up being more productive than tha mailbox.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited April 17, 2004).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I know nothing!

(I'm in Utah and they're in North Carolina.)

I'd guess, though, that it's taken longer than they anticipated to decide, and you should hear soon, especially if they want their money when they say they want it.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nexus Capacitor
Member # 1694

- posted      Profile for Nexus Capacitor   Email Nexus Capacitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Kathleen.

I guess we should all just relax and be patient then.

>z

You wait...

>z

You wait...

Hmm. Time doesn't seem to be going any faster. Well, it worked in Zork. I guess I'll have to wait the old fashioned way.

GZ
Member # 1374

I called Southern Virginia University today to see if I could find out any more information about Boot Camp. They have the list of acceptences, and calls were probably going out this afternoon (although it was about 4 EST when I called, so I don't know how many they would have gotten to) and tomorrow according to Valerie.

I got in! *happy dance of glee*

Hope to see lots of other Hatrackers there!

Christine
Member # 1646

Congrats GZ! I knew you would get in...you write quite well.

Say hi to Scott for me when you see him.

Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, GZ! I would so love to go to this, but family constraints make it impossible. Sigh, maybe another year. In the meantime, yay for you!
Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary Grant Morris
Member # 1994

- posted      Profile for Gary Grant Morris   Email Gary Grant Morris         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, like GZ I also couldn't wait any longer...I called Valerie at Southern Virginia and she gave me the thumbs up!!

I was so surprised that I said, OKTHANKSBYE and hung up. Hope she didn't need to tell me anything important. :0

<--joining GZ's *happy dance of glee*

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Cgongratulations, GZ and Gary. I'm sure you'll have a great experience.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nexus Capacitor
Member # 1694

I'm just lifting my jaw off the ground now.

I was accepted to Bootcamp also!

Woo Hoo Woo Woo Woo Hoo! (I'm very happy!)

Congrats to everyone else that made the cut! It will be nice to meet you in person.

Christine
Member # 1646

Congrats! Congrats!

Wow, so many going to boot camp this year! I'll see you around the alumni forum in a couple of months.

Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't get in.

I was immediately relieved when I read the email. I had been planning how I would politely decline. I don't have the money (since I don't want to work this summer) and if I did work this summer to pay for it, I wouldn't have the time.

But then it dawned on me what that actually implied. I wasn't chosen. Or rather, he chose NOT to pick me.

A little disheartening.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Chin up, Rahl, there's always next year.

If I were to make a friendly suggestion, I'd use this year to find one or two big problems you see with your writing and really focus on them. I'm not sure what those things are, but I've noticed that one of the worst things that happens to budding new writers is that they get critiques that divide their focus 100 different ways. You can't fix 100 things now, but you can work on 1 or 2, get them under your belt, and then work on 1 or 2 more. Work hard, use this summer to work on your writing if you don't *work* for money, and I bet you can get in next year!

GZ
Member # 1374

Congrats Nexus Capacitor and Gary! I look forward to getting to meet you.

And Rahl22, even if you didn’t get in, you know you tried. If you hadn’t applied, your chance would have been nil. Keep at it, and don’t let it get you down.

AeroB1033
Member # 1956

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
I somehow made it in too *grin* (I thought my piece was garbage, but apparently there was something decent in there). Sorry about the rejection, Rahl.
Posts: 233 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

Hmmm... I just got the most curious email. Ms. Rieben from Southern Virginia University said that there was a mix-up, my submission had been overlooked, and that I actually was accepted.

I imagine that this has something to do with people being accepted and then declining, thus opening up their spots. I hope this doesn't make me a second-class citizen of sorts, but I don't care.

I'm going to go anyway.

Christine
Member # 1646

Woohoooo!

Congrats Rahl! (And everyone else!)

Nexus Capacitor
Member # 1694

Alright Rahl!
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Rahl.

Having read some of your writing, I was a bit surprised when you didn't get in. Glad to know I'm not totally clueless when it comes to recognizing talent.

[This message has been edited by EricJamesStone (edited April 26, 2004).]

Gary Grant Morris
Member # 1994

Hey congrats Rahl! See ya in Virginia!

Gary

GZ
Member # 1374

Yea, Rahl!
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad for you, Rahl.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Thieftess
Member # 1683

- posted      Profile for Thieftess   Email Thieftess         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to jump on the bandwagon and spread happiness too! Congratulations to you all! You are going to have such an incredible experience!

See you in the alumni forum...

Alethea

Posts: 280 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

Should I be concerned that I haven't been mailed anything but the book and a credit card receipt? I mean, I don't really know what's going on. Or, perhaps this is what is expected of me. Make it to the college, and stumble upon the correct location as a part of my learning experience.
GZ
Member # 1374

Hey, you got a receipt too? All I got was the book

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited May 15, 2004).]

Gary Grant Morris
Member # 1994

Hmmm...I got the receipt but I didn't get the book

Class begins June 7th, right? I bought my plane ticket so I'll be there. I'm sure we'll hear something soon.

Maybe some of the past bootcampers could shed some light on the situation. What happens next?

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

I vaguely remember wondering when I would get more information. Eventually I got a packet in the mail with sufficient details -- except that it had the wrong room information regarding the first two days. But all resolved itself well.
sassenach
Member # 1725

- posted      Profile for sassenach   Email sassenach         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrat to all the Bootcamper-ers!

Take good notes...and share them with us.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nexus Capacitor
Member # 1694

I received this email on April 29th:

quote:
Hi. I'm checking all the e-mail to make sure they're working so we can communicate via e-mail. Would you please respond to this e-mail to I can know I have the correct address?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Kathleen Bellamy
Assistant to Orson Scott Card

I fully expect that we'll get the details you're concerned about from Ms. Bellamy in due time.

If you didn't get this email, let me know and I can give you her email address.

GZ
Member # 1374

I got a little schedule and map packet from SVU today in the snail mail. They're looking out for us -- no need to wander wild through the campus.
Gary Grant Morris
Member # 1994

Woohoo! I got mine too!!

I'm still waiting on the book though. Truth is I already read it. But I wouldn't mind having an extra copy to loan out

Rahl22
Member # 1411

Grrr..... I keep checking my mailbox like Ralphie waiting for an Ovaltine decoder ring.
Nexus Capacitor
Member # 1694

Yep. No sooner said than wrong. I got my info in the mail also.
GZ
Member # 1374

I got the book at around the 6th-7th of May, so I think you really would have it by now, Gary.

Fun to reread yet again. I like that book (and How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy for that matter.) Funny that, all things considered.

GZ
Member # 1374

You know, we might well be the most excitable bunch of Boot Campers I've seen on Hatrack. No other year have I seen such a flurry of posting over what came in the mail when.

Not that that isn't fun or anything. Oh no, not at all.

Gary Grant Morris
Member # 1994

Yeah, I admit it, the mailbox has become quite a pal. And I think I'll drop Ms. Bellamy an email about the missing book

By the way, is anyone else staying in the dorms? I thought it was sort of hilarious that they suggest we bring a fan. Now I have friends lining up to go with me!!

Just kidding. I've never been to Virginia (or anywhere on the east coast for that matter) but I suppose it's pretty hot during the summer. That's cool though, it'll seem more like a bootcamp!!

GZ
Member # 1374

I signed up to stay in the dorms. Seemed like too good a price deal coupled with the convience factor and some vague notion of nostalgia for the college years. I am not, however, keen about the fan thing (Well, I'm keen on being a fan, just not the twirly variety), being a true air conditioning weenie. When I had first called, I had been told they were planing on using the one air contitioned dorm for the writing conference. When I called again after the fan note, she said it was still likely that was true, but they are juggling another conference, and there are space issues somehow. (Ugh, vague recollections of cheerleader camp at summers spent at college just resurfaced -- I do hope that's not what we're competeing for air conditioning with. Gah, that was always the worst weeks. But I digress). Oh well. Not like a little heat and humidity usually kills anyone.

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited May 18, 2004).]

Thieftess
Member # 1683

RE: Dorms

VA might be different, but if the dorms are anything like Greensboro, here's some advice from my experience last year:

Bring towels and everything you need for your daily ablutions. If you like toilet paper that doesn't feel like sandpaper, bring that too (us girls finally went out and bought some). An extra blanket or pillow might be nice. The beds suck. No real getting around that. Bring an alarm clock. If you bring a laptop on which to write your story, be able to burn it to disc or CD so you can print it somewhere on campus.

And hopefully you all won't have to experience the Great Caterpillar Migration. Or centipedes. Or whatever the heck those things were.

Did I forget anything?

Gary Grant Morris
Member # 1994

Hey thanks Thieftess for the helpful suggestions. I know I would've forgotten the alarm clock and the computer discs.

I haven't heard anything about monster caterpillars, but I read somewhere that the east coast was under attack by shrimp-sized cicadas. Apparently they only show up every 17 years. Lucky us!!

punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the 17-year cicadas have arrived in the Mid-Atlantic (there are types that show up on other schedules). So far, avoiding areas with big trees seems to help. They should be dead sometime in July. They are coming out from New Jersey to Georgia. Lucky us. I'm posting a map and info to show where they are:

http://www.cicadas.info/m.htm

http://www.nbc4.com/news/3010482/detail.html

They are big, slow, noisy, crunchy (underfoot), and supposedly don't stray far from their trees. They might not be a big deal on a college campus. So far I only had to deal with them at an outside tot lot that was surrounded with trees. You'll be inside writing, so no worries!

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

I got my letter! I now feel considerably more informed. Now I have to find out if the airport is reasonably close, and if tickets are reasonably priced -- perhaps I'll just drive.

I also will be staying in the dorms. I'm already a poor college student, and although I've been in an apartment the last few years, I think I can probably handle those uber-uncomfortable beds for another week.

Scott R
Member # 1353

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
SVU is in the mountains-- and in Virginia, that means lots of old trees.

Which means lots of cicadas.

As far as rooms go, I strongly suggest that you pay the extra to get your own room. Privacy is a wonderful thing when you're trying to compose and finish a story in one day. The demands the class places on you will be quite enough without having to deal with a stranger all up in your personal space. . .

Plus, if you have your own room, you can push the horrendously small beds together to make a comfortably-sized big bed.

(There were no centipedes in MY room, Thieftess. . . might have something to do with the blood sacrifices I offered before heading out. )

Man, I'm homesick for boot camp.

Posts: 128 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Thieftess
Member # 1683

*sigh*

Yeah, we never DID get around to eating ol' Uncle Orson's heart, did we? Lucky for you year 4 people...

Nexus Capacitor
Member # 1694

I opted to stay in beautiful downtown Lexington.

There was something about having a roommate in the dorm rooms. I'm hoping to make friends at the boot camp and not have someone hate me.

You see, I snore really, really loud...

God only knows how my wife sleeps at night.

Christine
Member # 1646

I enjoyed staying in the dorms, even with a roommate. Of course, money was really tight for me. How I managed to come up with the money for tuition is beyond me, after that I was pinching pnenies in a *big* way. Of course, it was sooo worth it.

I'm only 26, and college wasn't that long ago. I suppose I didn't mind going back to the days of a dorm room and a roommate, especially just for a week. I brought a laptop with me and so I could write wherever I wanted...I didn't have to stay in the room. As it happened, my roommate was the one to opt for outdoor writing, which was fine with me. The dorms were empty and there weree a lot of privacy options. Besides, I ended up with the second good roommate I'd ever had in my life. (But let's not open up THAT canof worms... )

Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
OT: So is anyone planning to write a story about invading cicadas from another planet that show up every 1700 years???

~L.L.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary Grant Morris
Member # 1994

Dang, now why'd you have to go and say that? The antagonist is a lambada dancin' cicada who comes to Earth in a terracotta piƱata.

There goes my BIG BREAK.

hee hee

Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
GGM: Hey, I'll read it! I loved Men in Black!

(Okay, okay, I'm leaving you Boot Campers to get back to your plans! )

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.