Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Courier New's Sinister Side (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Courier New's Sinister Side
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
An additional reason for mono-spacing manuscripts:

Typesetting is done from the manuscript. Typesetters do not read the manuscript the way anyone else reads it--they are looking at it letter by letter and mark by mark. Typesetters do a much better job if they are working from a mono-spaced manuscript because they can see very clearly what each letter and punctuation mark is.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Had this as a sidenote in another post, but decided it needed its own topic.

Those are the first words Kolona posted in this topic.

It is now the fourth-longest topic in terms of number of messages. Not bad, for something which was almost a sidenote.

The longer ones:

1. New: Introduce Yourself! (136 replies)
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/000101-3.html

2. Magic: Price or Technology (104 replies)
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/000951-3.html

3. The Grammar Thread (103 replies)
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/000427-3.html

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Do I get a prize?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure some of the old topics were longer...but come to think of it, I bet most of those have been deleted, since they were all flame wars. We used to have some great flame wars on this forum...nowadays we get about five flames and sputter out.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
This post brings it up to joint second.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
I only posted because I hate ties. I always feel like they're choking me. Hmmmm. Did I cofuse that word again?
Anyway, here's to solo second place.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

Well, at long last, here's my rejection made public. Tor passed on my story. "Not right for our list at this time." <sob>

So, planning to submit to agents, I entered six pages of editing notes I had accumulated since I sent the manuscript off (There's a thread asking when a book is done. Answer: Never.) and remembered this thread. Thought I'd refresh myself as to whether I could correct the dangling quotation marks -- apparently I can't -- and am debating about the scrunched ellipses. I have gotten several laughs from re-reading this thread, though. There's lots of good stuff here that may be helpful for those brave enough to read through all of it.

However, I've found that while you can create a non-breaking hyphen, you can't create a non-breaking dash, meaning you can avoid breaking up words like "non-breaking" but you cannot avoid ending a line with a mid-sentence dash. Which is not a big problem, really, but I just thought I'd mention it since I was in this thread again. (Although I fully expect someone to show that you can create a non-breaking dash. )

(Why do old threads lose all their symbols and get those funny squares all over?)

Gwalchmai
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Gwalchmai   Email Gwalchmai         Edit/Delete Post 
Commiserations, Kolona. I know it would be better receiving a positive letter but at least a rejection slip shows your're actually trying. At least that's what I say to myself when I get them.

Not sure about a non-breaking dash but I agree about the laughs from reading this thread through again. However, in doing so I've been reminded of my vow never to write anything that needed ellipses ever again. Oh well, I think I broke it pretty quick in the end.

I think the weird symbols and things appeared after the site went down a couple of months back. Most of the apostrophes seem to have turned to question marks too.

Posts: 156 | Registered: Nov 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in manuscript format it's not a problem if you use two hyphens to indicate an em-dash. And since you can use two non-breaking hyphens, that will solve the dangling quotation mark problem.
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm one of those daring souls willing to read the whole thing!

WHOA! a lot of interesting stuff here. . . .

i'm never going to be the same again!

oh, and kolona: i just checked on ending with a em-dash (two hyphens) where they are the very last character's on a line and the (") follows on a line all by itself... i have a solution. try using ctrl-shift-(-) twice, that enters two non-breaking hyphens, exactly what you are looking for. . . . i think. . . .

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

Well, Eric and dpatridge, that doesn't work. Oh, the dash doesn't break, which is fine, but the stupid quotation mark immediately after the dash still migrates to the next line all by its lonesome -- and the quotation mark is the wrong one. You have to type an extra letter and space after the dash, then the quotation mark, then go back and delete the extra letter and space.

But I give up. If editors are used to Courier New, then they're used to lone quotation marks. But thanks for taking a swing at it.

Nonsense, Gwalchmai, you did that whole post without an ellipsis. Congratulations.

quote:
i'm one of those daring souls willing to read the whole thing....i'm never going to be the same again!

Dpatridge, it is a life-changing experience. Now you are truly one of us.

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

Kolona,

I should have specified that you have to turn off the autocorrect function that changes two hypens to an em-dash. If you use the two non-breaking hyphens instead of an em-dash, you will not get the lone quotation mark. (In other words, you will not be using the em-dash character at all; you will be using two hyphens to indicate an em-dash, which is perfectly acceptable in a manuscript.)

In any case, you should also turn off "smart quotes." Then you never have to worry about whether it's the right kind of quotation mark.

Once "smart quotes" are turned off, if you do a search for all quotation marks and replace them with quotation marks, it will convert all the "smart quotes" to regular quotation marks.

Jules
Member # 1658

If you want to use smart quotes, but are getting the wrong one, you don't need to do the "insert character, put in quote, then delete it" dance: Press Ctrl + apostrophe, then quote. This always inserts a closing quotation mark. Ctrl + backtick (the character that looks like a reversed apostrophe) can be used to force an opening quote if it would put a closing one in.

Just so you know.

Kolona
Member # 1438

Wow. The things you learn here. I am in awe.

If I turn off autocorrect, though, what else will that affect?

Jules
Member # 1658

You can turn the bits of it on & off separately.

The main things to switch off for manuscripts are the things in the "replace" section of the "autoformat as you type" tab in my copy of Word 97: smart quotes, superscript ordinals, fraction characters, symbol characters (this is what does the dashes), and hyperlinks. I leave "*bold* and _underline_" switched on, cause it's really handy for typing the occasional italicised word.

On a somewhat related note, I was reading a book yesterday (Heart of the Comet by Gregory Benford and David Brin, a UK Bantam paperback edition) which had an em-dash followed by a quotation mark in which the quotation mark had been moved to the next line. Either this is correct formatting, or the mistake is quite common.

[This message has been edited by Jules (edited November 17, 2004).]

goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had a similar problem, does the quote mark point in the wrong direction? (backwards?).

I'm sure there's a fix for it, but I just worked around it by backspacing to erase the last several characters and then re-typing. When the last word and the quotes are in place, I moved the cursor into the right position and inserted the two dashes.
At least I think that's what I did.

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.