Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Writers Block?

Author Topic: Writers Block?
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys

just wondering if anyone has run into a similar situation and is able to help, or at least commiserate.

I have drawn up a novel outline, character details etc for a project I have been thinking about for a couple of years now. The background is pretty well fleshed out and I know the way I want the story to go, but once I sit down to write nothing comes out - nada, zilch, zero! (or what does come out sounds like the start of a romance or a soap opera - which is not what I'm writing - and then fizzles out).

Any thoughts on how to break this or approach it from different angle?

I haven't really encountered a block like this before (although I'm sure it won't be the last time). I've two completed novels and a couple I toy with from time to time. This is a story I am really excited about and want to get down on paper.

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
When I start feeling that way a lot of the time the problem is the daunting prospect of writing an entire novel. Even an outline doesn't always help, because the outline is the ENTIRE story.

Try this: Outline chapter 1. Not the novel, just chapter 1. Look at it like a computer program. What output do you need? In other words, what has to have happened by the end of chapter 1? Probably not much. Probably all that has to happen is a main character intro and stepping him or her into danger. Your input for chapter 1 is easy, you have none. Everything you need to lead you to the output has to be created inside the chapter.

This is my chapter-at-a-time approach, and it works for me. Other than that I'd say go and look at some of our back topics. This one comes up once a month.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

Thanks Christine.

I had a good read of a topic from January and will try a few of the suggestions, your own included.

Should have guessed this had come up before.

Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
I've nevr had that problem but I suggest two things:

1. Have an outline for overall and then break the book into sections or chapters, outline the first and make sure you include all of the things that need to occur in that chapter, in order, etc.

2. Then begin to write, and don't get frustrated that it isn't coming out exactly how you planned. Just be happy and make the best of what you have, most of all just keep writing. Keep moving forward.

You can go back and gild the text later.

Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

- posted      Profile for ccwbass   Email ccwbass         Edit/Delete Post 
If you just need to get a rhythm going, don't bang your head trying to figure out how to start the book. Write other scenes that you want in the book - the scenes that appeared in your head when you were plotting the thing in the first place. The left side of your brain will be able to come up with a good beginning onc the right side's been allowed to make a little noise.
Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
I've actually heard jotting down story notes with the opposite hand you write with. Supposedly, this allows you to use the other side of your brain (ie: if you're left handed you'd use the right side of your brain, but in this case it'd be the left side) I've never tried it and it's a little new agey, but it's worth a shot.
Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

Ironically, I sat down to write last night and something completely different came out - an entirely new story in a totally different setting - High Fantasy as opposed to Urban Fantasy.

Maybe the first story is just not quite ready to come out yet.

In a way, story 1 has been an experiment and may well have taught me something valuable about my writing technique. Maybe I should have said straight out, but I haven’t used a strict outline before. Having written for some years in this way, I decided to try the other side of the coin. There is a need for a large amount of suspense and tight plotting in this Urban Fantasy (unless I want it to turn into Buffy etc) so it made sense to work out that plot first.

But I think writing to an outline has sort of punctured the joy of discovering events, of watching them unfold before me. My first novel was long (very long) and I worked on parts of it for years before ever getting my act together enough to put it in one lump. My second just flowed and I wrote it in about 6 months, from start to finish, just like that, edits and all.

I’ve other stories that I have poked at from time to time and will have to take out and put together someday.

And now there is this new story – it’s a fantasy adventure, court intrigue, countries at war etc – and that’s suddenly screaming out for attention. I don’t have a clue where it’s going as yet. At some point I do have to sit down and actually plot the thing – I do realise that – but it fascinates me to discover the way my mind wants to work in this respect.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.