Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » My quickest rejection

Author Topic: My quickest rejection
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
The Writers of the Future Contest rejected my latest entry in only seven days, which is the quickest rejection I've ever received.

They didn't even use my SASE -- the contest coordinator called me personally to reject the story. Not only that, but she let me know in no uncertain terms that I needn't bother ever submitting to the contest again.

She also mentioned that my submission for the previous quarter had just won second place.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Send a manusscript off to F&SF...they can beat that time and still se nd you back your SASE!

Congrats, tho.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Eric - please tell us that you were told not to submit ever again BECAUSE you had a win... That is my understanding from the guidelines.

And big congrats for second place!!! That's payment and publication amongst stiff competition - fantastic!

Lee

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the real reason for the call was the win; rejection of my latest manuscript and my permanent future ineligibility for the contest were merely side effects.

Christine, I've sent one manuscript to F&SF, and it took 8 days for me to get the rejection. That may just be because the round trip by mail takes longer from Utah than from where you live.

teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
I received a rejection by email to an email submission in 2 days.

Congrats.

Rux

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Main
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for Michael Main   Email Michael Main         Edit/Delete Post 
My quickest response was from Thiotimoline Fiction. Got the goshdarn rejection in my own SASE three days before I wrote the story.
Posts: 42 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

OK I'll bite...WHAT???
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

There's a famous Isaac Asimov short story (more of a fake scientific article, actually) about a substance called thiotimoline, which dissolves so quickly that, in its pure form, it will dissolve before it is added to water.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiotimoline

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

Oh, and a for Michael.

[This message has been edited by EricJamesStone (edited April 08, 2004).]

Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
My fastest was from an online mag (but paying, nontheless) in 2 days. That's humbling. Fastest snail-mail rejection was 11 days.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Main
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for Michael Main   Email Michael Main         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, Eric got the reference to Thiotimoline right--but, shoot, doesn't Thiotimoline Fiction sound like a promising name for a zine? "Special offer for subscribers! Your first issue is guaranteed to arrive four to six weeks before submitting your payment!"

Posts: 42 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

LOL..ok, thanks for the clarification.
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go, Eric! Some rejections are just easier to take than others.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Uhg...permanently ineligible. That sounds so final.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Eric. It's always welcome news when a fellow board member achieves another rung of the ladder, so to speak. Well done!

Inkwell
------------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RillSoji
Member # 1920

- posted      Profile for RillSoji   Email RillSoji         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh I've got to stop reading these threads! LOL it's scary!
Posts: 125 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.