Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Fiddler

Author Topic: Fiddler
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone besides me live close enough to go see OSC's production of "Fiddler on the Roof" next weekend?

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited April 30, 2004).]

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see the poster on Hatrack's front page this weekend. Does that count?
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
AeroB1033
Member # 1956

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish...
Posts: 233 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
sassenach
Member # 1725

- posted      Profile for sassenach   Email sassenach         Edit/Delete Post 
Two things I wouldn't expect to see together:

Orson Scott Card + "Fiddler on the Roof".

[Unless it's an updated Mormon version set in Utah]

Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
jpwriter
Member # 1987

- posted      Profile for jpwriter   Email jpwriter         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish also. This is my favorite musical of all time.
Jerry

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Sassenach has clearly never been around Mormons.
sassenach
Member # 1725

I've been around many Mormons--but the connection to "Fiddler" still eludes me. Care to elaborate.
Survivor
Member # 213

Fiddler is about the joys and trials of being a Jew, Mormons generally consider themselves Israelitish, even when they can't trace their lineage to any specific Jewish ancestors.

Pretty simple.

Or even more simply...Fiddler is as much a part of Mormon culture as green jello and primary songs.

sassenach
Member # 1725

OK. Very interesting. I knew about the "lost tribe" stuff, but didn't know about "Fiddler." As a Jew I find this fascinating.
Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, Mormon's are the kind of people that will, in all seriousness, refer to most Jews as "gentiles". You must only know the must culturally sensitive Mormons if this never happened to you.
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 

I'm a Mormon, and I've never called a Jew a gentile! Since LDS members see themselves (ourselves) as belonging to one of the tribes of Israel, and Jews as another tribe, it would be an ignorant Mormon indeed who would refer to a Jewish person as a gentile...

I think that "we Mormons" also can identify with our ancestors being chased out of their homes because of their beliefs-- something "Fiddler on The Roof" does a beautiful job of portraying.

So if ever you're in Utah, you will find many productions of "Fiddler," as well as "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat."

Welcome to the board, sassenach!

~L.L.

[This message has been edited by Lullaby Lady (edited May 03, 2004).]

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
If you're familiar with OSC's history, he wrote plays and ran a production, before he wrote "Ender's Game". I believe that he has written more plays and still writes them. I don't think that it's so much religion as it is a love for the art. OSC can correct me on this anytime he wants. ;}

I've seen productions of "Fiddler" and have enjoyed all of them. I'm not a Mormon or a Jew.

Rux

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Ah, a sensitive sort. I don't call Jews "gentiles", and neither will most Mormons. But whenever I've heard Mormons use the word in any context that wasn't specifically Biblical, it also included non-Mormon Jews (the majority of Jews are still not Mormon, last time I checked).

I've certainly never heard a Mormon say "gentiles and non-Mormon Jews". That, for me, would be the test. I doubt Lullaby has ever said that herself (or heard it said).

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.