Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » I have many things that I'd to write

Author Topic: I have many things that I'd to write
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
As the subject states: I have many things that I'd like to write but I am leaning towards this one that I've had in my head for years and I have done before....but looking back I know that I can do better ( and will ) but...I have pressing issues ( like trademarked phrases ) what should I do?

they are owned by Marvel, Inc ( the comic guys )

Monolith

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
What is your problem?

Do you have too many ideas and you don't know which one to write? Write that one you're most interested in, or combine two or three ideas you like the most and write a novel.

Do you have a story you're in the middle of that you don't like anymore? Stop writing. It's okay to abandon a work in progress. It's part of writing, for beginners, amatures, and professionals.

Do you have ideas that are trademarked and you don't want to get into a legal battle with Marvel Comics? Either don't write it, or contact Marvel Comics and see if you can sell it to them.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to write something but don't think you have the skill to pull it off, then write other things. Get some experience under your belt, go back to your big work once in a while to see what's going on.
That's where I am right now, I've got a huge fantasy world that I don't feel worthy of so I'm working on other things.
If your work is full of Copyrights owned by Marvel then perhaps you could work for them. That or change it, go fully original.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Go original first. There isn't a chance in hell that Marvel will let you write for their characters/universe until you've proven that you have commercial value of your own.

As long as working for Marvel is your ultimate goal, then you should initially stay away from any plotlines, characters, or even ideas that seem clearly derivative of Marvel's stuff (at least in your published work--if you have a private penchant for writing superhero stories, then that is all to the good). However, if working for Marvel is not your goal, then you can get as close as you want, as long as you don't actually violate trademark.

As long as any consumer can tell the difference between your characters etc. and Marvel's characters etc., then you're fine (but remember that consumers are the people that mistake Sunlight TM for Sunny Delight TM and sue both companies when they drink dish soap).

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by trademarked phrases. That could be interpreted to mean that you can't actually think of your own words for your characters to say or something. That would be a very bad sign indeed.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.