Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » I got my first rejection!!!!

Author Topic: I got my first rejection!!!!
rjzeller
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
...and I'm sure there'll be many more.

I sent to a major house and they sent a form letter, but it had some handwritten comments on it. I guess that's hopefull??

I think that puts me in the same company as survivor if I remember correctly. I don't know if I have the stomach of a J.K. Rowling to keep at it 17 more times considering the 4 1/2 months this one took to resopnd to, but...I have a question:

They wrote the following in blue-ink: "Nice narrative voice, but try to work on engaging the reader more."

How should I take this second part? Clearly it's what held me up. Do I derrive from that that I basically bored them and need to make it more interesting? Or is there something deeper to look at?

(Probably impossible to tell without reading the sample chapters, I know, but any feedback would be nice). In the least, I was very pleased they actually took the time to make the comment...tells me they at least read the thing.

~Z.

Posts: 207 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver6
Member # 1415

- posted      Profile for Silver6   Email Silver6         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll say you're lucky, since the best I ever got was a form letter saying 'thanks for the story, but it's not our style' (the worst being a business card format with two options on it 'accepted' and 'rejected'-at least that's what they amounted to-, and two little boxes, one of which they had checked...Guess which?)
I would suggest that 'engage the reader a little more' means that they don't feel involved in your story. It could be because they can't identify with your character (for a number of reasons, perhaps because you don't show us enough of his deepest thoughts etc.), or because the plot is too slow. Hard to tell just on the basis of what they have said.

Posts: 121 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
AeroB1033
Member # 1956

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that the biggest obstacle to engaging the reader is clarity. There's always a great sense of apprehension when you first start reading a story by an author you don't yet trust. You don't know the characters, you don't know the situation, and in the case of science fiction and fantasy, you don't know the world. You start a story from an author you don't know completely in the dark in so many ways.

Strive to make things simple, clear, and understandable. Stay deep in point of view, and give the character's impressions on what's going on. But most of all, make show the reader knows exactly what's going on. Once that burden is out of the way, they will instantly begin to trust you, and that will engage them.

Of course, I'm saying all of this knowing nothing about your story, but I find that it's true for most stories. Clarity is the key to the trust of your reader, and therefore their engagment in the story.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be encouraged. The fact that someone took the time to hand write a comment indicates the reader took some interest. Work on the story further and then try again, next time it might not be a form letter.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice coincidence. I got my first rejection yesterday, too, no hand-writing, just the form letter. Time to send it on to the next people, I guess.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, handwriting on your first rejection letter! I only got my first personalized rejection this month. To be fair, until April I'd only sent out about half a dozen things in my lifetime, and then in April I went on a short-story writing kick and now have a dozen things under consideration right now.

Anyway, congratulations on the rejection. My suggestion at this point is to try to find some new readers for it...tell them what the publisher said and see if they can't help you pinpoint ways to make it better.

That's option number on. Option number 2 is that someone like it enough to send you personal comments, which means someone else might take it as is. (Don't count on it, the market's flooded, but it's possible.)

The frustrating thing about writing at a certain level is that you don't tend to get acceptance letters buty our rejection eltters take forever because they make it past the slush pile. I seem to be writing in that category now.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
My question would be: are you only sending out one query letter at a time?

Simultaneous submissions refer to the entire ms. If you go about it one query at a time it will take forever for you to get anywhere.

The best approach is to write up a compelling query letter (say make up a list of 30 you are interested in and have them ready to go sans postage) and send it out to about 10 at a time. As soon as you get a rejection of any kind you grab the next off the pile and send it out.

If you are worried--well, what happens if all 10 want it? I'm not being mean, but seriously you don't have to worry about that. And if it did happen, then you would have such a powerful book that you would be able to demand your price.

Try to work at engaging the reader--broad very broad comment. Could mean anything. And with only one comment and one rejection to go on--

Well, I've gotten rejections through my agent that say the exact opposite of each other. One sys the story moves too fast the very next says the story is too slow to start.

Rejections are subjective to the opinion of that one person. If you take every rejection and overgeneralize what it says you will drive yourself nuts. Yes, consider what this one said--but does it mirror what your beta readers have said? Of so, then time for rewrites. Otherwise send it out again.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
rjzeller
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent comments! Thanks folks.

Shawn -- all I sent was a partial - synopsis, query letter, and first three chapters. If I understand you that would not constitute a simultaneous submission if I send to ten at one? Correct? It would sure make life better if I could send to 10 at a time.

I think I'll engage more readers as was reccomended with that "engage the reader" comment firmly in mind and see what they have to say. Thanks all!

~Z.

Posts: 207 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on the reply. I just hope to get there one day, like you did. Might take a year or so, but I'll hopefully finish what I have in the next 6 months or so.

But enough of that, once again CONGRATS!!!!

-BHJr-

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is more common to send to three at a time.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Editors and so forth don't usually send me any kind of letter unless they're inviting me to out of state weddings that they know I can't attend.

I have collected a fair number of rejections, though

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

I say ten, that's what I did. Three works as well. Any number you choose. Yes, the partial is part of a query--send a partial only if they ask for a partial. It cost's two stamps to send a single page query with SASE.

I did a blitz approach when looking for my agent--sent out 26 in one swoop. Then sent about 5 at a time after that. Hard part of that is that there were days when I opened my mail box to 10 or more rejections.

Got 67 rejections before I landed my agent.

And I got a lot of personal notes. The worst were the ones that simply said NO written on the query letter--the best gave me their reasons, many were scams, many had full lists etc. I didn't get many that gave me story advice --

Shawn

Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't think you can handle more than 17 rejections?

I guess your writing career is going to be rather short.

Did you know that Kevin Anderson received 750 rejections before his first sale?

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but Kevin Anderson sucks

Congrats, rj. The first rejection letter, big milestone and all that, with handwriting to boot. Curiously, I'd call that cause for celebration.

As for not engaging the reader, I guess they're trying to say you're not grabbing the reader enough. I don't know if they mean "this story interested me so little I couldn't focus on it for more than a second before thinking of the ironing" or "this story grabbed me but there were points where I realised I was hungry". It's probably somewhere inbetween. If that had been 'said' to me, I would work on trimming out any 'boring' bits (hell, even any 'this might possibly conceivably maybe be boring' bits) and tweak characters and events so that the reader is grabbed by the proverbial naughty bits as soon as they read word number one.

That's what I'd think the editor was trying to tell me to do.

Congrats again.

JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, rjzeller. You know you're a writer when you celebrate rejection.

Hmmm...Anyone else? You know you're a writer when....?

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
When you get the SASE back, and your husband hands it to you first out of all the mail, and you feel an unexpected twist of anxiety in your gut. Oh my gosh, you care what it says! Then you open it. . .

Funny, I just got my first rejection too - on Thursday, from Analog. No note, but it was just a short story

Now I need to post to see if anyone knows of similar magazines that I could send to (yes, I've looked at the sites - sloggin' - hoping for a quicker answer since I can't read them all!).

Congrats on the written note - definitely a step up from the norm!

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that some editors mean when they use the word "engage" is to "engage the senses." So, just as a thought, you might want to see whether most of your scenes contain any sense descriptions other than sight and sound.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

A couple years ago I got one that said almost the same thing--Maria Carvains <sp> agency.

Finally figured out that she meant I had given the end of the story away with too much foreshadowing in the first three chapters--the reader knew the end already so why read on?

Like I said before it could mean almost anything.

Shawn

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Engaging the reader is pulling him into the story, making him care. Care about what, though? The plot? The characters? Do you need a hook? Have you had a wise reader go through those first chapters?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

I never said I liked or admired Kevin Anderson's writing; I've only read one novella by him, but I didn't care for it. His perseverance, however, is quite admirable.

You know you're a writer when you're acting a like a writing by writing as much as you can and sending your stories out to be sold. In fact, this is the only definition of what a professional writer is. Too many prolific writes don't make a living by their writing. I just found out that both Raymond Chandler and Gene Wolfe didn't write "full-time" until they retired from their day jobs. So write, and send yourself out, and call yourself a professional writer, because you are one. And don't worry about the non-writers who define a write by publication--or worse, by monetary success.

punahougirl84 -- What I've found helpful is to make a list of magazines I want to see my work in. I divide it between Pro- and Semi-Pro and Paying Markets. (I don't waste my time with non-paying markets; call me snobbish if you'd like.) I have between 7 and 10 magazines in each. Since I write different genres, I have a list for each genre. This has made submission quite easy, because I don't have to stop and think of where to send my story next. For a listing of markets, try Ralan.Com; it's quite helpful--and free!

goatboy
Member # 2062

Sometimes my wit seems to leave me and I miss the obvious. Otherwise I would have suggested this earlier.

If you decide to make changes to the story, I would suggest when you are done, that you send it right back to the same Editor. Attach a note along the lines of:

Dear Editor,
Thank you for your kind suggestions, I have taken your advice and at my own risk modified my story. It is attached in the hope that it might now meet your requirements.

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that if an editor wants to see a revised version, he or she will request it. Therefore, submitting an unsolicited rewrite of the story may not be a good idea.

[This message has been edited by EricJamesStone (edited June 28, 2004).]

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

I wouldn't submit it unless I had made changes that I felt responded to the Editor's suggestion. At that point, if I believed in the story, I would submit it back to the same editor if I thought that was the best market. If it's rejected a second time, I'd figure it's pretty much a wash.

I would, however, be careful to explain in my cover letter that I had taken it upon myself to do this "at my own risk." This gives the Editor the opportunity to reject it without even reading it, and does not leave the false impression that he had requested you to do it.

The only reason I'm suggesting this is because the response is not a simple form letter with a rubber stamped box. The fact the Editor thought enough about it to send a handwritten note is encouraging.

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps I should explain a bit more about why it's probably not a good idea to submit a rewrite unless asked.

Imagine that a hypothetical editor has just read your story. He liked parts of it, didn't like others. Because he does notice that you have some talent, he decides its worth his time to give you a bit of advice, so he writes one handwritten sentence on your rejection slip, pointing out the major flaw he noticed.

You get the rejection slip, and rewrite the manuscript to avoid that one flaw. However, you don't know what other flaws the editor spotted and didn't mention. Which means, if he bothers to read the rewritten manuscript at all, he will almost certainly still reject it because of those other flaws.

If the editor was of the opinion that he would buy that manuscript if you just fixed that one thing, he would probably have sent you a rewrite request. He didn't. Take the hint. You are more likely to annoy him with an unsolicited rewrite than to get published.

Instead, make sure your next piece doesn't have a similar flaw, and send him that. Rewrite your original piece and send it elsewhere.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got to agree with EJS. Every source I've read says don't resubmit something to a source unless they ask you to do so. If you want it straight from the horse's mouth go to http://www.nightshadebooks.com/discus/messages/378/378.html

Several of the big name SF editors hang out there, and they say "Don't do it."

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

Eric is giving you sound advice.

And besides, if you believe only this particular magazine is the right market for your story, either you haven't researched the markets or you're trying too hard to get published in that one particular magazine.

goatboy
Member # 2062

Makes sense. I guess if resubmission to the same market is out, then the decision would be whether to change the story or not. Might be wiser to submit to somewhere else to see if the same type of comment returned.
Balthasar
Member # 5399

Got to ralan.com and spend some time doing market research. There are a lot of magazines and e-zines out there--so many you'll probably want to narrow it down to between 10 and 15 markets.

Whether you edit your story or not based on the comments you received is your decision. Don't do it unless you think it will make your stronger. The comments are those of only one person--and that's all an editor is, nothing more. He may be right, he may not be. (It'd be different if he said, "Change this and I'll buy it." Then change it, of course.) I've found that it's often better just to move on to another project, even if it doesn't get sold. Almost every writer has boxes full of rejected manuscripts. It's all part of learning the game.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited June 29, 2004).]

Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Agreeing with Eric. Handwritten rejection means send more-- but don't resub unless asked or unless you've make significant changes such that it's a different story (and even then you might ask).

On the 17 rejections-- I think I've gotten 20 odd so far this year on assorted short stories. Once you get past the first five they start going down easier, like mildly rotten cantelope instead of raw sewage with broken glass. (Acceptances go down like hot chocolate or single malt whiskey. Here's hoping.)

Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

and then you start getting the rejections from major publishers--sent via your agent--now those are hard to take. They don't hold back since they are talking to your agent, no sugar coated compliments, they yell it like it is. (yes, yell is intentional)

But at the same time when they say something nice you can take as a pat on the back--so far I have only gotten one bad rejection through my agent--and it was pretty much obvious they didn't read more than the sample material. One other was mildly bad, talked about being too convoluted and sub plot heavy, got a nice amusing note written on it by my agent. If anything the book is sub plot light. Or maybe Coke C2. LOL

Rejection is part of writing.

Shawn

goatboy
Member # 2062

Thanks for the link to Ralan. I'll have to take awhile to digest everything that's there.
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
I know about sending query letters and a chapter for novel manuscripts, but what about short stories? Is it best to just do a letter with no part of the ms? Or can you send the first, I don't know, 5 pages with a query letter?
Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
For short stories, ALWAYS send the entire story. Your cover letter should have no more than: "Enclosed is story XXX. Hope you enjoy it," if you include one at all. Exception: if you have some professional writing credits, you can list a few so they give you a bit more consideration.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Balthasar!

I didn't find much for my current story (I have been to ralan.com before), but reviewing the listings by genre AHEAD of time is a great idea. So I'm going to do it and make a list, so I don't waste time, next time.

Looks like a large percentage of the 'zines do more dark sf/f/horror, etc. I was despairing of finding choices that fit my writing. I don't really want to write dark just to have more places to send stories. Guess I just have to write better so the places where I want to publish will want my stuff!

Balthasar
Member # 5399

punahougirl84 -- This is where I really become snobbish. First, DO NOT write for a magazine unless, of course, the editor has personally asked you for a story about such-and-such. Writing for the sake of publication is my definition of what a hack is. This attitude is different that writing with the hopes to be published.

Second, DO NOT send your stories to markets you don't respect. Yes, that means it might take a while longer to see your name in print, but at least you won't feel bad about seeing your name in print.

I know this from experience, because I've done both. Several years ago I decided I wanted to be published so bad that I found a low-end Catholic magazine (this was a non-fiction article, by the way), read it, and wrote an article I thought they'd accept. And they did.

But I was so embarrassed by it--both by the quality of the article and the quality of the magazine--that I called them and told them I decided I wanted it published under a pen name (I told them I never liked my last name, which is true, but that's not the real reason because all of my non-fiction since then has been published under my real name). Other than my wife and parents, I haven't shown that article to anyone. The publication--and the $100 dollars--wasn't worth it.

So write for yourself and send your material only to the markets you respect.

PS -- I didn't sent the $100 dollars back. I may have acted like a creep, but I'm not stupid.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited July 04, 2004).]

Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well... the smaller zines tend to dark dark dark SF and horror, but for the larger pros, most of the market (Analog, Asimov's, a little under half of F&SF, and around half of SCIFICTION, although SCIFICTION seems to be darker in general) is general, fairly cheery science fiction. And within the book market, fat fantasy apparently has the most profitable share. (Then again, I tend to gravitate towards dark fiction naturally-- so maybe someone gravitating towards cheery fat fantasy or science fiction would feel the exact opposite.)

Of course, I agree with Balthasar about writing what you need to write, although for additional and slightly different reasons. Writing for the market turns writing into a job, which changes the motivation from enjoyment to money and recognition. Enjoyment is intrinsic motivation, while money is extrinsic motivation; changing the motivation to extrinsic for a task tends to turn it into a job, which decreases overall motivation, creativity, etc, etc. I think the trick is to think of writing and marketing as completely different animals-- or at least that's what works for me.

Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
Going through the thoroughly depressed phase at the moment as just got a rejection back with the comment that the initial chapters didn't "click" for the agent.

So frustrated!!! But still writing - there must be a pretty masochistic streak in me.

And yes, I'll send it out again, just to prove the point! I just need to get a list of agents together. Back to the Writers and Artist's Year Book.

[This message has been edited by RFLong (edited July 08, 2004).]

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

Whoops! Guess I misspoke. What I've been doing is:

- writing stories that come to me that I like
- reading some magazines and e-zines to relearn how short stories work and what is being written and where it is being published
- trying to identify markets where my work would fit, on a story-by-story basis

I didn't mean I was looking for markets and then trying to write to fit them! I was writing a story, and after the first few drafts I thought I might send it to Asimov's. I didn't start writing it with the thought in mind - I wasn't aiming for Asimov's! I wrote the story because I liked the idea, and the mc. Then I read a couple of stories in a recent Analog that changed my mind, and I sent it there. But it does seem that a story that is more a fit for Analog has fewer places to be sent once Analog rejects it. But I won't do the editors' job and decide not to send it somewhere that does not seem a perfect fit - I'll send it anyway and let them decide, if I think it has some chance.

I'm just not familiar with enough of the short story publishers other than the 'biggies' and need to do more reading. I won't know how I feel about a market unless I read it I would be lying if I said I wasn't writing with the hope of being published. But am I trying to write stories targeted for some market for publication? No - I'm not that good! But now that I've read through the semi and pro paying markets and gone to the sites listed at ralan.com, I've been able to make a list of places that seem to want the stuff I like writing. I've had a chance to find out what they want and don't want, which is helping me learn about the cliches to avoid, mistakes not to make, etc.

RF - it didn't click for one agent, but that's just one! Maybe it will with the next one, or the next. Too bad the agent didn't feel like expounding on "click" - but that is so subjective that it doesn't mean anything. Now, if the agent had said "the POV shifts are incomprehensible" you might have had a problem! Good luck shopping your work elsewhere.

RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
punahougirl - thanks. Finger crossed I'll get there eventually and I agree - saying that something didn't "click" is not terribly helpful. Don't worry - I'm almost over it. This is just the occassional depressed me coming out.
Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.