Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Divine Secrets of the YA...

Author Topic: Divine Secrets of the YA...
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

I just started working on an idea which strikes me as particularly suited to a YA audience. However, its been a while since I was reading YA books and when I picked up a couple recently things had changed...

Sex, violence, torture, homosexuality - none of it graphic, but definitely there. Perhaps I wasn't reading so closely as a teenager, but I doubt I would have missed it.

So here's my question - what makes a book YA? I'm happy with the idea that you write as much detail as you feel comfortable, don't condescend to your audience and even to take the approach - if I give it to my teenage nephew will my sister kill me?

But seriously - in terms of putting the thing together - is it YA because the lead character is of an age with the target audience or YA because of content? Or am I missing something here?

What do you think?

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I think, mostly, that it has to do with the wants and needs of the POV character being things that your target audience can relate with.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It's YA because that's what the marketing department decides to call it.

Write your story. If someone wants to publish it as YA and tells you that a couple of things need to be changed, then work it out. Ender's Game wasn't written as a YA novel, and neither were the Harry Potter books. The Lord of the Rings wasn't written as a trilogy.

Write the story. Then consider the expressed desires of prospective buyers.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking the responces are coming slow because other people also have the same question, as I do.
I'd like to add to your list- drinking. Fantasy stories such as the one I am working on, have lots of drinking- beer, wine, sherry.Is this a problem? Do I really have to call it butterbeer to make it YA friendly or just write a story and figure YA's will find it and like it better because it's more true to life.

[This message has been edited by Kickle (edited July 06, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Kickle (edited July 06, 2004).]

Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would depend on which books you had picked up, and which target group the publisher was hoping to reach.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rjzeller
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
Kickle:

Write your story the way you see it. With the exception of vulgarities and profanity, I don't think you risk much problem there.

Even if it did turn away a few YA editors, I think it best to write the story the way it needs to be written and let it find it's proper market instead of manipulating your story to fit a particular market.

my 2 pennies...

Posts: 207 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I trust the label YA about as much as I trust that the Pope was baptized in the waters of Mormonism.

I don't know how many books I've picked up in the library with the YA label that WERE NOT YA fiction in any sense of the term.

I've come to mistrust the library's labeling, but where do they get the information for their labeling? Certainly it comes in with the publisher's information on the book when it is ordered? If this is true, then publishers are labeling books as YA simply to broaden their reading audience. That's damned irresponsible. If this is not true and it is entirely up to the library staff to decide how to label a book, then the library information cannot be trusted. There is no way librarians get around to reading every book they carry to help them rate the books Adult or YA or JF. So how do they decide? By author? Apparently not--I find Jane Yolen books in both JF and YA (often the same titles). I find Isaac Asimov in both YA and Adult (again, often the same titles). There is no information on the back of the title page to indicate the area to which the book should be assigned--unless it's in some code that I'm unaware of.

While I haven't come across any troubles with the JF group, I have come across some SERIOUS ones in the YA group. I picked up a book called "The Sky of Swords," by Dave Duncan. It was one of those search the shelves for something that looks interesting days--maybe something I can recommend to my kids. It was labeled YA, but contained some explicit sex scenes and some graphic, squeamy violence. So NOT YA. I complained to the library. They gave me the shrug the shoulders response and promised to review the book for reclassification. I have yet to check up on them. I really don't expect them to care much about the morality of our youth.

RF, if you're going to write YA, I hope it truly is YA and avoids the very bothersome issues you point out. Because I would love to be able to add another author to the list of those I trust my voracious young readers to enjoy.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eljay
Member # 1941

- posted      Profile for Eljay   Email Eljay         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as libraries and YA classification, it really depends on the library. Some stick closely to what the publisher calls a book, and some don't. (And some publishers are more careful with their YA than others, as far as content is concerned.) Some libraries review books very carefully, particularly for categories such as children's or YA, and some don't. Some libraries take patrons' concerns about content carefully, and some don't.

Trusting a YA label to mean a book will fit your definition of acceptable for young adults is not a safe thing. If your kids are still young enough to need a lot of guidance, you have to provide it yourself (with help from people you trust). I remember reading some YA fiction as young as age 7 (carefully chosen, of course--my parents paid attention to what I read). On the other hand, there's some I wouldn't want to read now as an adult!

Given the world we live in, and therefore the world young people deal with, I can't say YA fiction should ignore difficult issues. I do think it should handle them appropriately, though.

And I guess that's really where drawing lines gets to be difficult, from the standpoint of marketing your own writing. I'm struggling with the question of how to market the story I just finished this afternoon. From a plot perspective, YA seems like a good fit. The POV character is late teens, and he's dealing with questions that would be meaningful to a YA audience. However, I'm a little concerned about the tone. I don't want to change it, though, because I feel like that's where the story gets a lot of its power. The problem is, I'm not sure it will sell well in an adult market.

The advice to write the story you need to write is very good, and that's what I did. I'm glad--I think it's a good story. But sometimes you end up with a real marketing problem!

Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

Marketing positions aside... Surely you need to have some idea of the final reader in your head.

Dakota - I can sympathise both with you as a reader and with the librarians. I used to work in public libraries myself and to be honest, there was usually no way to tell when cataloguing a book other than reading it yourself, reading what the publishers had to say, or at the very least keeping yourself up to date with all the different markets - a pretty impossible task at the best of times. We even had books vandalised by people who thought they should dictate who was allowed to read what.

I think you can and should challenge a reader, even a young reader, but I think it can be done without offending or ostracising. Ideally, I'd like my books to appeal to young and not so young adults. That's the aim, I suppose.

I'm going to take a mixture of approaches and advice presented here in saying - I am writing the story I want to write, I will handle any difficult situation as arises if applicable to the story appropriately, and I will beware of annoying my sister if her son picks it up.

How's that?

djvdakota
Member # 2002

Beautifully stated!
RFLong
Member # 1923

Thanks - and thanks for all the feedback, guys.

RFLong
Member # 1923

Sorry to bring this up again, but anyone got any idea on length? Are we talking 80k or less?

R

djvdakota
Member # 2002

From what my kids have been reading, I don't think length matters so much in YA fiction as it does in Juvenile fiction. The JF books are generally shorter--I'd judge around 60,000 to 80,000 words, many shorter than that, a smattering longer.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.