Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Prophecy?

Author Topic: Prophecy?
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Is starting a novel with a prophecy a cliche? If not, what's the proper format for poetic prophecies?
Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it is quite common, specifically in epic fantasies. Whether that makes it a cliche or not, I don't know. If it makes your book better, include it.

As to how to format it, I'd just put the lines of it flush against the left margin (no paragraph indent, unless some of the lines are long enough to wrap around).

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver6
Member # 1415

- posted      Profile for Silver6   Email Silver6         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, prophecies are clichés, but that shouldn't stop you from using them unless you are really blatant about it (blind old soothsayer whom no-one will believe comes into the palace and speaks the prophecy...I would think that a bit too much).
Personnally, it all depends on what you do; I think that a certain element of cliché is necessary to hook the reader. Example: woman running at night from possible monster. Has the flavour of a cliché, but it works. In a novel, you're given more the benefit of the doubt, so you can afford that.
As to the proper format...It's your world, I think, so any format works. Personnally, I'd go for stilted verses with same number of syllables and a rigid rhyming pattern, but it's your call in the end.
As for placement inside the novel...Usually, it stands a good chance of being spoken or read by someone, so I'd place it the way you do dialogue (even if somebody else is remembering it). If it's a head-of-chapter quote, then right all the way, like any head-of-chapter quote.

[This message has been edited by Silver6 (edited July 09, 2004).]

Posts: 121 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I'm doing in my story, but, I still have to go a chapter or two before the character in question gets the idea.

But I think that prophecies aren't a bad idea. Most civilizations had them.

My thoughts.

-BHJr-

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I will say something I said in another discussion (the one about starting a story with a lady running away from a castle with her baby in her arms, or something like that). Aspects of real life are not cliche, no matter how often they may show up in a story. As writers, we all represent real life, albeit in many different ways.

Is somebody dying of cancer a cliche? It's been done in a whole lot of stories before. How about a girl and a boy falling love, getting married, and having children? It's certainly been done. A blue-collar father drinking too much and abusing his family? How many stories have you read/viewed with THAT theme? None of those things are cliche, though; they're aspects of real life.

A prophecy is not a cliche, even if it does appear in a million books already; it's life. As Monolith said, pretty much every civilization has their own prophecies in one form or another.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything can be done. Anything can sell.

IF it's handled well. IF it's given a flavor that is appealing and fresh and engages the reader.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
One important thing is that if nobody believes the prophet, then there should be some reason. Basically, there are two reasons to disregard a prophet. A) The prophet doesn't have the right credentials, either he's always been wrong before or he doesn't belong to the local prophet's union and have the right degrees in prophesying. B) You really, really don't like what the guy is saying.

Prophets that have impressive credentials and are saying things like "Suzie Que will indeed marry you" usually don't have much problems getting people to believe them.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
'k. I'll use it, but shift it to the halfway point so that its clichèness is blunted .

But what format should I have it in? Is there a standard?

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Alfred Prufrock
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for J. Alfred Prufrock   Email J. Alfred Prufrock         Edit/Delete Post 
pah! It's your book; set your own standard. =P As far as I know, there isn't a "The Essence of Prophecies" book out there. I would imagine that if you avoid the line of Oedipus-style blind men, you should be okay.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the fun things about using a cliche, is that you can have your characters react to it.

Exasperated character "Dammit! I'm not going to put up with this any longer!"

Grabs the blind prophet by the throat, "Tell me, RIGHT NOW, what that means or I'm going to make sure no one ever has to listen to more babbling from you, EVER!"

...and that leaves it open for all kinds of fun and/or bizarre responses.

"It means you're DEAD in three days, you horses ass!"

"Turn left at the fork! Turn left at the fork!"

etc

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.