Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Book Club News

Author Topic: Book Club News
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine's book club was such a great idea, I'd hate to see it die out. Might I suggest that everyone involved in this take a look at the Hooks and Books forum and read the most recent thread (it's not long) so that we can get some feedback as to how many people are willing to continue to participate?

Hardly anyone looked at it last month, and this month it appears that even the moderator has disappeared. But next month is Joe Haldeman's The Forever War, led by Lord Darkstorm. There's still time to read it.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up "The Forever War" on Saturday from our library. If I didn't have children, I'd probably be done. So far, a very fast, very enjoyable read! And one I had passed up before at one point, so I really thank LDS for selecting it for August.

One little note. There are three versions of the book out there. Parts of it were serialized in Analog in the early 70's. Certain stuff got rewritten, then the book happened. Then another publisher picked it up and allowed Haldeman to change stuff back to the way it was supposed to be, but not all the changes happened. So hopefully the copy people are reading is the more current edition, in which everything got fixed to the way Haldeman wanted it (except a few anachronism occurred with all the changes!). He explained this in the copy I have - so even the book has a story!

I too hope the club is continuing. I'm appreciating and enjoying my broadening horizons, especially with recommendations of new books to try.

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious about the Books and Hooks section.

Is it only for discussing book club books or is it for discussing anything we happen to read?

I've got a favourite e-zine that I always read and wouldn't mind discussing from time to time.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
It's for discussing published stories:

quote:
Topics here can start with a 13-line quote from the start of a published work and discuss what works and doesn't work about the opening. Or they can be for discussion of other aspects of published books.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds interesting. Count me in.
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.