Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Are ninjas making a comeback?

Author Topic: Are ninjas making a comeback?
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
In the eighties we had ninjas everywhere. Then, rather suddenly, they all disappeared (ninjas can do that ).

It seems that in the nineties the niche carved out by ninjas was dominated by Tong and Triad style Asian criminals, more closely based on contemporary reality. But there are important elements of the ninja mythos that are not fufilled by Tong style martial arts gangsters. Probably the most important is the concept of an abstract code of criminal honor, which is replaced in the Chinese system by a system of personal and familial honor. Closely connected is the idea of formal schooling in the art of being a ninja. While the guan ji connections in the Chinese underworld often involve the relationships between a master of martial arts and his students, it is not as though there is a material equivalence of knowing one of the various forms of wu shu and being professionally employed by a certain organization.

Also, aside from the failure of Chinese gangs to meet the romantic appetites of western literary archtypes, there is also the fact that Chinese gangs are a real and intransigent fact of life for too many people. The fact that these highly skilled killers with no legal documentation do actually exist and roam about our cities tends to reduce their appeal as subjects for light fiction. It makes them seem more like real life criminals, less like apt subjects for fantasy.

And let's face it, ninjas had more style. So, is Naruto the herald of a new era for ninjas in popular entertainment? Or is is just a great anime series with no other particular implications for our culture?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, but it's clear that I'm going to have to check out Naruto.

I suspect that some of the elements that you talk about are why things like Shaolin soccer got made. The Shaolin aspect provides the sence of honor, while also providing some explosive martial arts scenes. Very cartoony, I'll grant, but that style of almost superhero unarmed combat appeals to the same crowd that loves Spiderman. And Jackie Chan.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ambongan
Member # 2122

- posted      Profile for ambongan           Edit/Delete Post 
I think ninjas went out of fashion with the rise of political correctness.

Many people think ninja stories and many other types are insensitive or steriotypical or some such nonesense. I think it is too bad that many types of stories are avoided because of fear of not being published because of political correctness.

I know there are some subjects I would avoid for fear of the PC police. I think that most people who would tackle a ninja book are people that know a lot about them.

Posts: 79 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
For those who want more information about ninjas, you should go here: http://www.realultimatepower.net/

WARNING: Linked page has some crude language.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you who REALLY want to learn about ninjas, buy the realultimatepower book. Very informational.

It has long been one of my personal goals to write a book about ninjas, because they freaking rock. One of these days, the ninja story will fall into my brain, I know it.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Wetwilly

sounds like it already fell into your heart. isn't that enough?

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Shaolin Soccer...I hear it's coming out in the states soon. I hope they have the extra scenes (the one where everyone starts dancing in front of the bread shop is the best).
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. Yeah, I guess that was an advance copy. For some reason, I thought it had come out here. I loved the sheer exhuberant goofiness of it.
wetwilly
Member # 1818

mikemunsil, it has fallen into my heart. I love ninjas with every bone in my body. Now I just have to get my brain working on it. Stupid brain!
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
Slight tangent but - I've been trying to find a good way to incorporate martial arts into a story without it seeming totally contrived. I am often disgusted with the portrayal of martial arts in popular fiction and spy movies, etc. I am a black belt instructor in the Tang Soo Do discipline, so I have first hand experience and knowledge to bring to the story, but all of the methods I've tried so far seem silly. Has anyone seen this done well? If so, please suggest a few books for me to read to see how they did it and maybe get some ideas. I really want to focus more on the moral principles of martial arts and less on random fight scenes.
Actually, writing this reply just gave me an idea of a new angle to try, but still, if you've seen any good books that sound like what I'm talking about, I would love to read them. If they are really good some of my students might be interested as well. Also, has anyone seen a good example of martial arts in fantasy fiction?

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

I second that plea for samples of martial arts done well. The novel that I'm shopping around has a couple of fight scenes with Monkey King and it was really, really hard to write.

Oh. Actually. I can make a good recommendation. The original Monkey King novel, "Journey to the West," is full of fight scenes, and they are very evocatively told.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
NewsBys

Is it possible that there is a disjuncture between your level of sophistication as a martial artist and the level of sophistication appropriate for the story?

Maybe you would have to write at a level below your level of understanding? "Man!", Ralph said, "I don't know what happened, it was over so fast, but it seems like that guy, he just kinda twisted the other guy's wrist and the sumbitch just fell down!"

I have had only one occasion (thank god!) to use the martial arts training I received and I couldn't begin to tell you what I did, even though I was there. All I remember is some guy coming after me with a knife and then me picking him up off the ground, and nothing in between. So, even though I was somewhat trained (my master would probably disagree, "Mike, you so CLUMSY!"), I couldn't even begin to write about that episode in the manner in which it must have occurred. You might, but I couldn't.

So, what's the point? Uh, well I'm not actually sure, I got lost there somewhere <sheepish grin>. But, YOU know what I mean.

NewsBys
Member # 1950

Yeah, I think I know what you mean. You're right, a blow-by-blow fight scene is often not necessary.

What I am really finding hard to explain, in realistic terms, is how the character came by the martial arts training and then almost coincidentally gets into a situation where he\she needs to use it.

I keep thinking of the Power Rangers. Each episode had the Rangers fighting a monster or something, and they almost lose, then they pull out the Sword of Power, or whatever and win the day. "Gee, glad we had that Sword of Power or we would have lost."

I want to write about a believable character who has everyday problems and dilemmas. And although the character is just a normal person, they have also trained as a martial artist. I've tried several different motivations for the character to start and continue this training. That part usually comes out OK. Then (and this is where the contrived sounding part comes in) he finds himself in a situation where all the training pays off. "Gee, sure am glad I trained for this situation."

Every time I come to that part, it comes out sounding like another Jackie Chan "set-up" movie. - By the way, I'm not knocking Jackie, he is great. I suspend my belief a little to still enjoy his movies, but I'm aiming for something a bit more realistic and with a more emotional punch. I want to write something that martial arts practitioners could read and like enough to recommend to their friends as a good portrait of the martial arts culture and lifestyle.

I guess it is just the nature of the beast. As a writer, I am contriving to put characters into situations that look hopeless, but that they will overcome - hopefully. Maybe, no matter how I approach it, as soon as I mention that the person trains in martial arts, automatically the reader knows that at some point that training will come into practice. Like a guy that packs a gun in his briefcase, obviously, he is going to pull it out and use it at some point.

I remember in one of OSC's writing books he mentions that bringing a gun into the scene automatically triggers tension in the story. So maybe martial arts, which is a weapon, will always draw a lot of attention to itself.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Would it not be possible to just keep the protagonist ignorant of the situation that will require use of the art?

Look at what happened to me, it was a Friday afternoon, and I was in Chihuahua, Mexico. I had spent all week assessing a chemical process that a local chemical waste handling company was using. I finished early Friday afternoon, and took advantage of my spare time to see a little of the local scenery. I had just enough time before my flight to walk over to a local museum. On my way, I walked past several local bars.

What I did not know is that the Mexicans were mad at us yet again for something incredibly arrogant that our President had said that week. Further, all the factory workers had just gotten off shift and as it was the end of the month, they had a handful of pay. So, they all went to the bars to celebrate and watch their politicians expostulate about us gringos on TV. They were primed and ready by the time this fat, blond gringo walked by.

The doors to one bar opened up and a gang of scruffy guys came out. One walked up to me and grabbed my shirt with one hand and pushed a knife towards my belly with the other. After I picked him up from where I threw him, I saw that his gang was somewhat taken aback, and rather than yield the advantage, I pushed him as hard as I could ahead of me through them until we got past, then dumped him onto the pavement and went on my way to the museum. Hardest thing I ever did was to not look back. I was shaking so hard I almost couldn't walk and I didn't really enjoy the return trip.

I will always remember that little episode, and I enjoy re-telling it You'll notice that the most interesting parts (well, to me, anyway) have nothing to do with the actual use of the martial arts.

Could you have the tension OSC writes about simply because your character is armed (with himself) and is walking into a situation he doesn't understand at all? The reader, seeing both sides, would be suitably informed, and the tension would develop in the reader's mind rather than on paper.

Note that the tension would not have anything to do with the particular use of a martial arts technique, or series of techniques.

OK, I'm sure this overly simplistic, unsophisticated, etc, but I think that if you are having problems with setting up a situation so that is does not come across as "Jackie Chan-esque", then you should be asking yourself if you should even introduce the martial arts into that scene.

Having said that, let me note that after a period of training, the martial arts affected many aspects of my life, including day-to-day affairs and that even now I'd be hard put not to use somthing I learned several decades ago; in writing as well as in real life.

Survivor
Member # 213

I think that it was Chekhov who said that if there's a gun on the wall in the first act, before the play is over it must go off.

Of course, all experienced writers are fond of this truism. If you're character knows martial arts, then at some point that skill must enter play.

It doesn't always have to be in the typical manner. She could get in the situation, forget all her martial arts training, and just hit the guy with her handbag (I believe this story was told by Dr. Laura i'm-glad-she-doesn't-bother-with-her-insanely-hard-to-spell-last-name). Or he could experience an epiphany about how nice the man was to offer to only take his wallet, and hand it over without even trying to fight (Mark Salzman, a world famous martial artist and writer, may or may not have made this story up out of whole cloth).

If I have a story about a guy that stumbles across evidence of immortals living in society (ala Highlander, vampires, or what have you), then his background as a private investigator/handwriting expert/heredity researcher or whatever is going to be an important part of that plot structure. But at the same time, it could just as easily have been a minor element in the character development, like the fact that Jackie Chan is a celebrity chef in Mr. Nice Guy. It doesn't matter that he is a chef particularly, it matters that he has an entire life completely divorced from violence, so that he can be Mr. Nice Guy. He tries to solve things through negotiation and appeals to the police at first because he isn't The Punisher.

The fact that a character studies martial arts (even French arts like fencing) doesn't have to be a major element, but it does need to cause something in your story. Try writing a couple of stories where your martial arts training matters to the story in an atypical or merely tangential fashion.

Survivor
Member # 213

And now, we can get back to talking about ninjas.
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
If there is a ninja on the wall in the first act, by the end of the play he must flip out and kill people.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

Good suggestions Survivor and Mike! Maybe I'll just put it on the back-burner for a little while longer and let it stew a little.
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like we've forgotten about Japanese martial arts or something. Aside from The Last Samurai (which I have yet to see), most of the martial arts we see today seem to come from China or other parts of Asia. I'm not sure why. Perhaps Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles created a stigma or something.

I have to confess I don't know much about the differences between many of the martial arts but I looked into Ninjas specifically for the purpose of this thread. They sound interesting and they would make an excellent addition to many a story.

I especially like the emphasis on stealth. I'm even thinking of converting a character from a WIP to a ninja. She is an assasin so it might work. Don't know. Must read more

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited August 03, 2004).]

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
If your character is a ninja, then obviously you can show some really neat tricks when he is acting as a ninja. When he is just being a "normal" character, it could get really interesting! He may not wish to use his martial training to get himself out of a tight situation, since he doesn't wish anyone to know he is a martial artist, much less a ninja!

So he may either act weak or afraid, or perhaps he uses his superiour balance, agility and speed in a way that would seem plausible for a normal person. For instance, instead of throwing his attacker across the room or killing him outright with strategically placed hand, instead he simply sidesteps and sticks out his foot and trips the attacker!

It could actually be a fun exercise to see how a ninja "in disguise" would deal with an attacker without overt use of martial skills!

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't ninjas always in disguise? At least that is how I've read them. Even the word ninja is derived from a word meaning "with stealth", or some such thing.

Overall, I think a ninja would make a great charater. More writers should use them.

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

EricJamesStone!
quote:
If there is a ninja on the wall in the first act, by the end of the play he must flip out and kill people.

I just laughed out loud in the library and people are looking at me funny.

We to do a show (overt puppetry) where we were dressed in all black with hoods. We used to say, "You might be wondering why we're dressed like this." One of the team would strike an absurd karate kid move, with approriate vocals. The team leader would shoot them a scathing look and say, "We are not ninjas."

Its always gottn a big laugh and still does. Based on that brilliant anecdotal evidence, I'd say that people are still aware of the ninja mythos and ready for a new ninja story.

wetwilly
Member # 1818

"If your character is a ninja, then obviously you can show some really neat tricks when he is acting as a ninja."

Like ninja magic and flying. Sure, we see plenty of stabbing from ninjas, and that's certainly resectable, but one thing that we don't show enough in fiction is ninjas flying. I mean, aside from stabbing, that's pretty much their expertise. How sweet is that? When I write about ninjas, I promise you they will fly.

I hereby make a solemn vow to all of you, that one day I will publish a story with a ninja wailing on his guitar in it.

[This message has been edited by wetwilly (edited August 03, 2004).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
(Name dropping alert) Steve Barnes showed me a video several years ago (when I was at a worldcon, and he had a vcr set up in the SFWA suite) entitled HEROES OF THE EAST (aka SHAOLIN CHALLENGES NINJA).

From what I remember, it was about this Chinese martial artist who was a very quick study. He'd gotten into a contest with a bunch of Japanese martial artists to determine which country's martial arts were the best.

He was going to go up against a whole list of Japanese martial arts specialists, one by one, and some of the corresponding Chinese martial arts he knew and some he didn't know, so the movie is partly about how he learned (very quickly) the stuff he didn't know, and then about how he used it against the Japanese martial artists (the last one was a ninja) in the contest.

I'd recommend finding and viewing that movie if you want to see samples of several different forms of martial arts. (It was also quite funny.)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Aren't ninjas always in disguise? At least that is how I've read them. Even the word ninja is derived from a word meaning "with stealth", or some such thing.

I was picturing a modern day American ninja, let's say, that doesn't want anyone to know he is a ninja. So, in effect, he has a "secret identity".

BTW, I don't know how accurate it is as a depiction, but a neat (and very small) book to read is "Wisdom from the Ninja Village of the Cold Moon" by Stephen K. Hayes.

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I think that ninjas are more into jumping and climbing than actual flying. They're also heavily into assorted weapons.
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually one of the neatest ninja tricks is actually being able to dislocate various bones in their body to fit into a small space. Of course they also had an extensive knowledge of poison that people like the samurai would disdain.

Actually I'm sure a good samurai story would go down well after the film has reawakened interest.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

Yeah right, yanos, ninjas could totally beat up samurais.
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Ninjas did beat-up Samurais! That was one of their main functions as mercenary/assassins. O.K. "beat-up" is probably not the right word -- too overt. Ninjas were great at covert ops.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Weren't those ninjas who attacked the village and tried to kill the title character in THE LAST SAMURAI?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

I think by definition they would have to be. The honour code of Bushido would not allow samurais to be used as assassins in that way.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Ninja's are due for a resurgence.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
NewsBys - if you are looking for inspiration for a book, Bruce Lee's biography might be a good start. And actually, you can find Jackie Chan's biography, which might also provide ideas. I can't think of a book off the top of my head that had martial arts in it that wasn't focused on someone studying martial arts or teaching martial arts... it ends up being pretty central to their lives, then they are forced to use it for some reason. There are movies of course (gee, you don't want to use Jean Claude Van Damme as your role model???!!!). Maybe look at what you find wrong and cliche, and do the opposite!

As for ninjas... there is going to be a new TMNT movie coming out - so if they are being resurrected, then there must be a resurgence of interest in ninjas, yes? (or maybe just marketing stuff)

I don't know too much about them (seeing Bond in a ninja training school doesn't count, does it?) as my own background is Tien Shan Pai Kung Fu.

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

If you wish to have ninjas make a comeback on your own computer, then please visit Gamehippo.com to download N, a game that celebrates the way of the ninja.
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Oh no, no. I recognize the work of the Demon of Procrastination when I see it. No way you're going to get me to go there. Not a chance.

No.

yanos
Member # 1831

I wonder if it was TMNT that killed off interest in ninjas in the first place.
NewsBys
Member # 1950

Thanks puna,

Sorry I didn't see your response sooner. I've read Jackie's but not Bruce's. I'll pick it up.
I actually think I have a way to handle it that will fit into what I want to do. I am going to make the character a practitioner that reluctantly trains because his father is a high-ranking member of a martial arts association. He then comes to a point in his life (goes away to college) when he decides to stop training, but events occur that make that a bad idea and he finds that he needs to use the skills, not just fighting skills but also morals and honor to find his way back home, literally. Look for a fragment sometime in the future.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
(usless comment of the day/

Bruce Lee once punched Jackie Chan

\usless comment of the day)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Curse you, Survivor, for suggesting N! I downloaded it to while the time away at the airport and I'm hooked! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!
Survivor
Member # 213

Muhahahaha!

Ninjas everywhere! There is no escape!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.