Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Cambodian Temple Dancers... Bizare question, I know, but...

Author Topic: Cambodian Temple Dancers... Bizare question, I know, but...
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
...This might just be the place for it?

I was watching a documentary this morning on Angkor in Cambodia and the archeological digs there pre and post the Pol Pot era. One thing which came up (briefly) concerned the temple dancers, the way the artform was suppressed and its current resurgence.

This sparked off an idea for a short story - its fantasy, set in an existing world which has a certain amount of paralells with the above situation.

Does anyone know of any good resources to research this? (Other than Googling it, as I'm doing at the moment.)

Any help gratefully received.

R

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean, other than your library?!

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the Discovery Channel, the Learning Channel, A&E, or others of that ilk have done stories and could be websites with resources (not just what they did, but books to recommend, etc).

Even Sesame Street has done stuff (Grover travels the world - some very cool bits have been filmed!). Not that I'm saying you should watch Sesame Street...

Good luck - sounds like a wonderful starting point for a story.

(edited for typos - I am SO tired!)

[This message has been edited by punahougirl84 (edited August 05, 2004).]

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
What exactly are you looking for information on?
Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
RFlong

Are you looking for info on the temple dancers, or on the suppression and resurgence?

Mike

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
Both really.

As dance would play a major part of the story (the dance being so expressive) I'd need to find out something of the techiques etc. Of course I could just make them up but it would be infinitely better to take something grounded in reality. Plus the fact that I have the grace and elegence of the average brick.

In terms of the supression & resurgence I'm thinking of autobiographical accounts etc and what it means to the dancers and their families.

I've found some items online about the technical and historical aspects. I suppose now what I'm looking for is personal accounts - along the lines of Wild Swans for Maoist China (only shorter - I'm a working & writing mum so reading time is at a premium!)

I found a brief account of two students (aged 13 and 10) of classical dance in Phnom Penh which ended with these rather chilling statistics:

quote:

Sina and Sophal’s father, as well as their teachers, suffered enormously under the rule of the Khmer Rouge from 1975-1979. They saw the artistic and cultural heritage of Cambodia nearly wiped out during that time, when close to two million people out of a population of seven or eight million died from starvation, disease, forced labor, and execution. Surviving dancers estimated that perhaps ninety percent of their professional colleagues perished under the harsh conditions imposed by the Khmer Rouge, including Sina and Sophal’s grandfather. Cambodia’s artists have struggled hard to rebuild that heritage over the past twenty-two years. And now their children, and their students, are carrying the myths, stories, and movements on for yet another generation.

I guess this is the sort of thing I am looking for, but in more detail.

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I was (very briefly) part of a dance troupe in college, so I know some basics of Western dance and enough of the life of a dancer to be glad I don't have to make a living at it. You can ask me general questions if you like.

However, the kind of dance that inspired you is something I never studied. So, if you're wanting specific information, I can't help you.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I did an Altavista search and came up with a bunch of stuff.

The search page is referenced below followed by a few examples of pages it turned up.

Hope this helps and good luck

http://www.altavista.com/web/results?itag=wrx&q=%2B%22Khmer+Rouge%22+%2Bdance&kgs=1&kls=0

http://www.acfnewsource.org/art/cambodian_dance.html

http://www.enigmaterial.com/icsnap/asia-3b.html

http://www.buffalo.edu/reporter/vol32/vol32n8/n9.html

http://vimean-akas.apsara.org/thavro.html

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
When I'm looking for a broad search I use www.dogpile.com. They search Google, Yahoo, Ask Jeeves, About, Overture, and Teoma.

I found many links there, including some links to Cambodian dance organizations in the US. It might be worth it to try to contact one or two of those.

This page looked particularly interesting, with lots of ancillary links at the bottom of the page:

http://www.wisdomportal.com/Rodin-CambodianDancers.html

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...I had some Thailand Fingernail Dancers to my house once, but they had nothing to do with any temple.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.