Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » NaNoWriMo? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: NaNoWriMo?
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
10,250, and that with a Jackie Chan movie in the background, and now Heath Ledger (oh my) in A Knight's Tale.

Well, I knew what I was writing, so it was easy. I'm doing everything - the mc's internal issues, the problems that result from the adventure and will throw in antagonists that fit in with it (all of them).

Thank you Kathleen - you are wonderful, and appreciated.

NaNo site is down...

[This message has been edited by punahougirl84 (edited November 05, 2004).]

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Whew. Made my goal of 2000 a day again. Though I didn't technically do it on the fourth, since I started at about midnight. But I'm counting it! If I haven't gone to sleep yet, it isn't tomorrow. Or at least that's what it feels like, so it amounts to the same thing.
My daughter must be inhabited by gremlins lately. She was sleeping through the night consistently and going to bed at a decent hour. This week she has been up till at least eleven and sometimes wakes again every couple hours. I can't tell if she's teething or growing or what. Probably a little of both. But of course it coincides so nicely with the little writing time I have, making it darn near impossible to get anything done. But I WILL do this!

Word count: 8723 and on Chapter 3.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. I only wrote 1000 words last night, but I have an opportunity to name drop as a result of my distraction. Granted, only those of you with kids the right age will be impressed.Steve from Blue's Clues came to visit so a big group of us went out after we wrapped. He's as nice in person as you'd think from the show.

I just have to write an extra six hundred words today to get caught up. I can do that. Right?

(7907)

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Mary, you will write those 600 words. If you don't, I'll send waves of mental energy in your direction and make you do it ^^.

Good luck, ya'll!

*stands on sidelines editing already written novel*

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
RunningBish, welcome!! And... who cares? The challenge is simply to WRITE, not to create the next best seller! You're doing terrific! Keep it up!

MaryRobinette, of course you can make it up! You guys are doing GREAT! Keep up the good work!

Yes, I know, I used exclamation points for nearly every single sentence above. But doggone it, I'm excited by how well you are all doing!!!

Hopefully next year I'll be in a position to join you all! Umm.. you ARE all planning on doing it again, yes? No, wait. Don't even TRY to think that far ahead. One day at a time, loves, one day at a time! *G*

Keep up the *fabulous* work!

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBish
Member # 2210

- posted      Profile for RunningBish   Email RunningBish         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey MaryRobinette, did he come as Steve the guy from Blues Clues or as Steve Burns the musician. He's in a band now and has some pretty groovy music. I'm just curious if he still does blues clues related stuff. 9,000 words in my Nano by the way.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
yyyYYYAAAAAYYYyyy...yyyYYYAAAAAYYYyyy...yyyYYYAAAAAYYYyyy (My small attempt at starting "the wave"!).

Everyone is doing great. Thanks for all the updates.

If you reach 11,500 by tonight, you can safely take some time off on the weekend.

If you are below 8,500 though,it's time to catch up and kick it into high gear.

MaryRobinette: You got to meet Steve! Like in real person! Up close! Wow!!!!! (...and I don't even have kids ).

Don't worry too much about being below your daily goal. As long as you write a bit more on another, it will all shake out in the end. Besides, you got to meet Steve!

RunningBish: Welcome to Hatrack. Keep us posted. And, while I'd love to take credit for the report card, I believe it was MaryRobinette who originally posted it .

------

Alright, keep up the good work everyone. You're almost 25% done.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a slightly more accelerated goal, Robyn. I've actually got to write a novel in 3 weeks as opposed to a month so if I'm not at 15k by tonight I need to kick it this weekend. Good news is, I think I'm on track to that goal!
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go.
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

All right everyone. It's the weekend. An unending source of personal distractions are about to beset you, BUT you must persevere. Press on towards your goal and keep writing. By Monday you should have a bare minimum of 11,900 words. Christine, that number is closer to 17,500 for you.

I know you guys can do it, so no excuses. No hob-nobing in Iceland or dancing with ballerina bears in Maryland -- you know who I'm talking about.

Ahhhh, forget all that. Have a great weekend everyone and I hope you can stay on track for your goals. Keep us updated here when you take your breaks. I'll check in on Monday.

shadowynd
Member # 2077

Well, heck, I'll be here all weekend to harass... err... encourage you all and help you through it! I'll check back tomorrow in between stacking hay.

Have a wonderfully wordy weekend!

Susan

SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh... I am woefully behind. I'm about 5k words behind. In my defense, I was on vacation. But I sure have a lot to catch up on this weekend.

Sili

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanu
Member # 2195

- posted      Profile for Shanu   Email Shanu         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to do this last year, and failed miserably... I would've given it a proper go this year, but only became aware of it on the 1st of November... a little too late to plot anything, heh. Besides, I owe several writing groups short stories.

But next year... next year I shall participate... and then nonsensical, hurriedly-written tales of zombies and punks shall sweep the nation! [*]

Best of luck to all those brave and hardy souls giving NaNo a shot... you can do it!

[*] for "nation" read "an empty Word document".

Posts: 19 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

Good morning, all!

No hay here yet and I'm taking a break from my web work, so I thought I'd pop in and give you your morning dose of encouragement. Get your writing done early so you can get out and enjoy the rest of the day with your families and friends. Don't falter now, you've been doing so well, all of you!

I'll check back in later, and hope to see notes by then that you've all finished your word count for the day and are kicking back and relaxing.

Susan

Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
you guys are all doing so great! I just read the last week's worth of posts all at once and it's really encouraging to see everyone doing so well.

I am slightly behind, with about 7000 words today. I am planning on hitting 10k tonight to catch up.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo-hoo. I caught up and am still going at 11,039 words.
shadowynd
Member # 2077

WooHOO!! That's fabulous, MaryRobinette!! Keep up the good work! At this rate, you'll be able to take all day tomorrow off, if you wish. *g*

Well I am positively disgruntled. Not that I was gruntled earlier, but... My hay isn't coming until tomorrow. I called after they didn't show up for a few hours and the wife answered. She sounded annoyed, and verged on rude, and insisted that it was tomorrow. Now I am quite certain that when I spoke to her husband yesterday, he said the flatbed would arrive at ten tomorrow, which would make it today. Yes, indisputably today. Hmmph.

I shall simply be glad when the hay is delivered and I have no excuse to call and speak with that person again. Well now. I feel much better after having groused a bit. Okay, I don't, really, but this has to count as my writing for the day, so it shall have to do. *mischievous grin and wink*

Susan

autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a confession to make. I didn't write anything yesterday, and I am not sure how I will do today. We've been helping some friends move, and I'm bushed. Normally a couch potato, I've been busting my buns doing a lot of manual labor, and I obviously need to do that more often because it's really taken the mickey out of me. I have to wait for my daughter to go to sleep before really writing tonight; hopefully I won't fall asleep on the keyboard, though truthfully I was ready to crash for the night at about 5pm. I'll let you know how it goes!
Christine
Member # 1646

You may not need to, as long as you have time during the week to keep up those word counts. 12k per week, don't forget. Me, I arrange it so I can take weekends off. I didn't write yesterday, either. I spent the whole day hosue shopping. (At least now I can more realistically portray a character under a great deal of stress!) But my word count from the week was good enough to let me do that.
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't write much yesterday, since I had a day trip planned to the world's largest Christmas store open year round, and with checking out the other surrounding shops and driving, I was just glad I'd gotten that blurry-eyed 795 in first thing in the morning, 'cause I was out for the count when I got back.

But I'm back on track for today, quota already in. I'd try the take off weekends thing, but, in addition to not being able to commit to enough words during the week to keep up, I think I would loose too much momentum by taking a day off. Each day is getting a bit tougher just 'cause I'm wearing down a bit, and putting it off a day isn't going to help me with that tendency towards inertia.

(16426 Almost officially 1/3 done!)

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited November 07, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited November 07, 2004).]

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya'll can do it!
Keep going! Don't give in!
Onwards, to Glory!

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
End of first week: 14,788. Not brilliant, because there was one day I couldn't get any work done. Need to do more next week.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my frustration has nothing to do with my writing (was at 13,066 by yesterday afternoon - used some writing time to make goodie bags for the meet-up/write-in I set up in Maryland - uh, no dancing bears though... what are those, anyway?).

1) Comcast was down, so I couldn't get on-line at all.

2) I sign in at NaNo, and it says thanks for logging in punahougirl84, then takes me to the home page, but instead of saying "signed in as punahougirl84" it says the normal "user login" - I Can't Get Logged In On The NaNo Site - AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH!

I did e-mail tech support, and they did the auto-reply, I did what they said and nothing helped, so I replied, and am waiting for a reply... meanwhile I was supposed to be doing stuff and I can't let my regional forum know what is going on because I can't log in...

Did I mention AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH???

So, I'm going to go catch up on class work, and hope things get fixed, then do more NaNo tonight during the Ravens game.

Mutter, mutter...

Glad everyone else is working hard and doing so well :-)

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Oh Lee, that's awful. Well, you're doing a great job even without their stinky ole site.

I am at 15,066 and that's even with a day of sightseeing.

Beth
Member # 2192

There is something screwed up with the login - the trick is to use the "remember me" checkbox on the login screen. if you don't check that, you can't get logged in.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Rise and Shine everyone!! Sounds like y'all had a productive weekend. Word counts should be hovering around 12,000 (more if you need to finish earlier). Don't get too hard on yourself if you feel like it just won't come. If you need a personal sounding board to get through something, e-mail one of the Buddies from the Nano Buddies thread.

Just think, in three days you'll be at the 1/3rd mark for time. All you have to do is try to get to 17,000 or so words by then. From the posts over the weekend, it sounds like most of you aren't far off.

Keep the updates coming and don't forget to use your HUBs and if you need the Penmanship*, we're only a whistle away!

----

*The Penmanship is the Hatrack sloop, ready to sail to your rescue.

Christine
Member # 1646

phone
hook

GRRRRRRR can't write anything this morning!

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Deep breath in........Deep breath out.........Repeat!

Are you stuck on something particular, or is it just distractions?

p.s. Did your kitty come home last night?

Christine
Member # 1646

Yes, Robyn, we found our kitty this morning. Thanks for asking. I feel much better.
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

Well, our region had a meeting last night, which I attended. Everything was going well until my baby's stroller fell over and she hit the floor head first. No injuries, but it was pretty traumatic for both of us, especially in front of all those people.]

Anyways, I wrote a bit more yesterday, which put me at 11,503 for the first week. I'd have had more except for those couple of non-productive days.

Today my goal is 2,500 words, and will be until I am back on track to cross the finish line by the 24th. That way if my novel is longer than 50,000 (which I hope it will be) then I can still finish by the end of the month, even allowing for Thanksgiving.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Christine: I'm glad she's safe and sound.

How did writing go this morning? Were you able to get on track, or was the phone being a pain?

I know all about phones being pains. I sit at a switchboard all day and just when I get into the middle of something non-switchboard related, the phone staarts ringing off the hook. It's as though it were my job or something .

Autumnmuse: Thank goodness your baby is safe.

As for the writing, keep it up. Every little bit gets you closer to your goal. And there's no rule that says you can't write a longer novel. Go for it!

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited November 08, 2004).]

GZ
Member # 1374

Glad your kitty came back, Christine.

I had the same problem yesterday, punahougirl84. It seems to be working now, although I guess that doesn't help much with the ML stuff that was date sensitive.

[Edit because I misspelled a fellow Hatracker's name wrong, and it was bothering me every time I scrolled down.]

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited November 11, 2004).]

Beth
Member # 2192

I'm up to 14k words, which puts me very slightly ahead of schedule.

And I'm having fun - the words are coming easily, and I keep wanting to write way more than I have time to do. Usually it's a more painful process than this.

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Oh, missing kitty is plenty of distraction. It's great to see everyone doing so well. I'm at 17,859, but my distraction will arrive on Thursday. I doubt that I'll be able to maintain this pace then.
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

I'm at 14,066. I was grimly determined to break 14k no matter how late I had to stay up. Turns out it took me until 2:30 am, but once again I didn't really get started until about midnight. I've been very tired in the early evening lately, but if I push through I usually get my second wind about midnight, and can write for quite a while then.

I've had my character have a couple of really interesting dreams that I didn't know he was having until they started appearing on the page. So far I had enough planned ahead of time that there haven't been many surprises, so I was glad to see them.

shadowynd
Member # 2077

Good morning, all, and may I say you are all doing fantastic! Way to start off week 2!!

Christine, so glad your puss-cat is safe and back home again. I myself have three totally indoor, very sheltered cats, and I know I would be panicked if any of them escaped into the outside world!

Autumnmuse: Thank God your baby wasn't hurt!

All of you, keep up the great work on your word count! Try to get a bit ahead of your goal, if you can. That way you budget time for emergencies, or just plain old relaxation.

Susan

GZ
Member # 1374

Just passed the 20K mark at 21246. Looking forward to hitting the half way mark. I can almost smell it from here. I'm getting a bit punchy about the whole thing, hard to start in, somehow things get moving about 1500 words into a session. Then it gets easier to run the quota over a bit.

Maybe week two really is all they say it is in terms of being the hard week... I think I'm just still a bit off since I lost a bit of my word count pad over the weekend. The pad made me very happy!

punahougirl84
Member # 1731

I wonder if all our crises are a result of the stress pervading the air (Autumnmuse - I'm so relieved about your baby - and totally sympathize about the feelings you must have had in front of the others - when mine were younger my son had a PT who came to visit - I was carrying Gil down the stairs, and FELL, sliding down, and he did a somersault around my arm and hit the floor, all while the PT watched. I never fall down stairs - not since Senior Prom! My head was hurt, my pride was hurt, and Gil was just fine according to the PT.).

I hit 18,198 earlier today, but had to stop to do things like clean and go to a meeting.

I think I need to make my new goal to catch up with GZ, just once ;-)

Jules
Member # 1658

I'm lagging a little behind you folks at ~18,200 now.

But I've written the climax of Part 1, and am into the beginning of Part 2 which is flowing a little more quickly.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

33 1/3%! That's where you should be by the stroke of midnight tonight.

So what does that mean exactly? Well, 16,667 words will put you at the one third word count if your novel is going to 50,000 words.

There is no rule that you can't write more.

Congratulations to everyone who is ahead of schedule. If you have a different set of goals, I hope you're meeting them. And if your stuck, want help brainstorming, need encouragement (or a task master ), don't forget you can always ping someone from the NaNo buddies thread.

You're getting there!

franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say the Hatrackers thread on nanowrimo is one of the places I go when I need a humility booster, i.e. there's always several people ahead of me there.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

Well, I've broken 20,000. This means I'm now well and truly in the middle (I'm even in the middle of part 2 of my story by now, at 3,000 words of about 20,000 for that part).
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

Last night I stopped at 18,667. I am cruising along at 2000+ a night, and contrary to expectations, week 2 is going easier than week one for me. Let's see how I do tonight!
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Congratulations to everyone who is keeping up or ahead of schedule.
yyyYYYAAAAAYYYyyy...yyyYYYAAAAAYYYyyy...yyyYYYAAAAAYYYyyy...yyyYYYAAAAAYYYyyy
(I better stop with wave or I'll make myself seasick )!

Keep the updates coming. I was over at NaNo this morning and checked out the status of some of y'all. Keep up the effort.

If things are going slow, don't worry. Keep working at it. Writing a novel in one month is a daunting task but if it gets you writing, even a little bit, go with it. If the pressure to finish by the end of the month is too much, then forget about it and just keep writing until it's done (even if it takes a year or two or ten ). Do what you can through NaNo and then just keep writing.

Only 20 days left to go...

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited November 11, 2004).]

Beth
Member # 2192

I love having an official cheerleader!

I took last night off so I'm right at 15k - but I am planning on writing approximately one million words today, and getting ahead a little.

Jules
Member # 1658

Someone on another board I hang around on started off the month with a 20,000 word day.

Yes, you read that right.

GZ
Member # 1374

I saw that, Jules. Zette, right? From Forward Motion. Wow. Just Wow. How did she keep her fingers from falling off. And keep that up to write like 100k in 10 days!

I passed the half-way mark tonight (WC = 26059). Whoo-Hoo! And got a new idea that helped flesh out the middle that had been dragging the last couple of days! New energy. I love it!

Thanks, all you great cheerleaders out there, and fellow NaNo participants! I love the Yay waves!

shadowynd
Member # 2077

I'll even add a hearty CONGRATULATIONS to those who are behind, but still plugging gamely away. Even attempting this feat is an accomplishment to be highly lauded! Keep up the good work, try to slip in a few days with some extra writing so that you can try and catch up a little. Don't worry so much about competing with others; just give it your personal best!

To those of you that are up to snuff or ahead of the game, WOOHOO!!

We're proud of ALL of you that are attempting NaNo, no matter where you are with your word count!

Susan

[This message has been edited by shadowynd (edited November 11, 2004).]

Beth
Member # 2192

I think it was zette, yeah. I'm just amazed that anyone can write that much. I've had a few days where I did 7 or 8k (in previous years) but by the end I've been weird and shaky and wanted to curl up in a ball and cry. I can't even imagine 20k all at once.

I am just short of 20k total, myself.

Jules
Member # 1658

Of course that was zette. I seriously doubt anyone else did that.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.