Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » NaNoWriMo? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: NaNoWriMo?
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations GZ! You've done what I cannot. Excellent!

Well, actually, you've all done what I cannot. I hereby humbly bow in your general direction. Well, as humbly as I get, anyway.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited November 23, 2004).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm up to 45k. The finishing line is in sight.

Then I'll just have the other ~40k words to write.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

I've just downloaded my certificate.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Jules and GZ and anyone else who has crossed into the winners circle already!
yyyYYYAAAAAYYYyyy...yyyYYYAAAAAYYYyyy...yyyYYYAAAAAYYYyyy...yyyYYYAAAAAYYYyyy
This wave is for you!!!

For those of you not quite there, keep pushing forward. You're all very brave souls for attempting this, and you are now so close to the end. There will be plenty of time to procrastinate in December!

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I won! My story isn't finished, I don't think. But I have a moderate degree of closure.

P.S. And now that I'm done with the Nano contest, I don't have to follow rules like not using prior writing. (such as my landmarks on the BFFAC) Woot!

[This message has been edited by franc li (edited November 27, 2004).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
congratulations to jules and franc li! you two are ROCK STARS.

I am only 8,500 words away from the finish line. I'm going to try to polish it off by midnight Sunday.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Doing the happy dance and dripping tears of joy as I crossed the line this evening and got my BOOK, oh my, MY BOOK, validated!!!

I actually still have a few pages to finish in the last chapter, but I was so excited I went and got validated at 50,258.

Congrats GZ, Jules, MaryRobinette, and anyone else!!!

Lee

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I crossed the finish line last night around 10:00! 50,139 words at the end of Chapter Twenty-four. I think I have three-four chapters left to write. Woo-hoo!
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Now I'm all, like, dripping envy. In puddles. Gonna have to block out next November, and spend the time till then learning how to type faster!

Well done!

quote:
MaryRobinette
Member posted September 16, 2004 12:55 PM

I'm planning on doing the NaNoWriMo too, but I've had problems writing since I got out to Iceland so it's a little more frightening than before.

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself, of bugabears and things that go Bump! in the night: of the dreaded "No operating system found.", the endless whir of hard drives seeking, seeking, and the headlines "Multiple suicides sweep the Nation! NaNoWriMo site self-destructs under the onsluaght of purple prose! Reykjavik residents stunned as a lithe woman clad only in a strange-looking belt runs through the streets waving a hard drive in the air, screaming "It fried! It fried! It's not my fault!"!

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited November 29, 2004).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm back! I'm sorry but I don't have time to look back over the conversation I missed so you'll just have to hit the highlights for me if anything really interesting happened. In any case, I've got 14k more words to complete and I sure hope I can do it.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

14k in two days is by no means impossible! Just keep typing.

I'm at 46k. Almost done. I thought I was going to finish it off last night but I have a stupid cold and just want to go to bed.

autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Aargh! The fates have been conspiring against me. My parents didn't give me any free time to get typing done, so I started to get scared but thought, "No, no, I've still got time." I get home and get a whopper migraine that lasts from Friday to Sunday night, and in tandem with that, my baby has developed a habit of waking up every couple hours while at my parent's house.

So, the end result is I still need 9,000 words, I have no idea how to tie up all my plot points and make the end of the book work, I have things happening until 10pm tonight which I can't get out of, and basically that leaves me with a little time tonight and tomorrow to finish, assuming my little one and my head do not explode.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

But, I may yet make it!

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't feel like you need to tie up the loose ends! Just type, type, type. You can do it!

Go Christine! Go autumnmuse! Go Beth! The finish line awaits. And remember, you have till 4am PST on December 1 to get it validated. You can sleep after that.

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited November 29, 2004).]

GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Contgrats Jules, Mary, and punahougirl84!

autumnmuse, Beth, Christine...
You're almost there! Write, Write, Write!!!!!

Don't worry if everything doesn't tie up just so. Just type like there's no tomorrow!

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited November 29, 2004).]

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Warbric
Member # 2178

- posted      Profile for Warbric   Email Warbric         Edit/Delete Post 
I can empathize with the migraine woes, autumnmuse. Mine struck me yesterday and today, and here I'm already a day behind going into Sunday morning. A couple of sessions sandwiched between a couple of very long naps seemed to help some. I might even finish tonight, if I can hang in here and the meds can hold the banging in my head at bay.

Edit: Just staggered over the finish line and collapsed in joyous exhaustion. Congratulations to all who preceded me in crossing over that line and all who are right on my heels about to cross it yet.

Now to let it cool off for a little while and go on to outline the first and third novels that bookend this one before I tackle any rewriting chores (it needs much!) fleshing out a number of chapters I made an effort at before bypassing for the ones that were ready to be written first, and fix that shoddy, cliched working title.

[This message has been edited by Warbric (edited November 29, 2004).]

Posts: 151 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
bladeofwords
Member # 2132

- posted      Profile for bladeofwords   Email bladeofwords         Edit/Delete Post 
I did it! I haven't posted in so long because it feels like all I've been doing it writing. I just finished. I wrote 8k in two days. I reached 2k (my daily quota) and just thought, "what the hell" I'll go for it. I feel so relieved. I did it. That's all I can think right now. I did it. That's probably one of the hardest things I've done in...a really long time, maybe ever. I told people I was going to do it, they said I was crazy. but I DID IT! What now? I mean they'll still think I'm crazy, but hey...I pulled it off and now I'm like...more of a novelist than before.

Jon

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to all of you who have just crossed the 50,000 mark.

Only 15 Hours, 22 Minutes and 59...58...57...AHHHHHHH!!!!!

Get Writing!

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

50K, baby.

Nowhere near done with the story, and there's a staggering amount of rework that needs to be done once I do finish it.

But.

50k.

autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to concede defeat on this one. I'm still really proud, with about 41,000 words, but unfortunately didn't quite make it past the finish line. Being the mother of an infant was just a bit too much of a hurdle for me, she's been kinda sick the past couple days and waking up nearly hourly. So, knowing that circumstances beyond my control were the cause helps me feel a little better; at least I didn't slack off.

I fully intend to do it again, and keep writing in the meantime.

Hurrah to everyone who made it! And also to people who at least tried! I still ended up writing a ton more than I ever have before.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

Congrats Beth, bladeofwords, and Warbric on hitting the big 50K!!!!

And way to go autumnmuse! 41k isn't anything to laugh at!

It's been a very productive month here at Hatrack...

shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to all of you that made your goal on NaNo! Autumnmuse, you have EVERY right to be proud!! 41k is a phenomenal accomplishment in its own right!

Sorry I was unable to cheer you all to the finish line: my computer chose this rather inopportune time to die. Bleh!

Armed with a brand new laptop, I am back again and congratulating all that participated in NaNo this year, even if a bit late.

Cheers all, happy rewriting and editing, and here's to next year! *G*

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
And armed with that brand new lap top, you'll be able to join us, right???!!!

Lee

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, by next November, this laptop will be o-o-o-o-old!!!

But I *do* hope to participate next year! *G*

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I did finish my novel, like that actual story, Dec 1. But now I'm trying to decide whether to get rid of a few characters.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

My story still isn't finished, although I've written the climax to one of the major plotlines. Now I just have to get a couple of characters out of the fix that the climax has left them in, and then deal with the consequences of a few of them having disobeyed orders to help the MC. Discharge & exile, I think.

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

I just finished writing the last chapter of my NaNoWriMo effort! Hurrah! Dancing for everyone! 59,625 words. Thirty-one chapters. Yay, yay, yay!
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
My dear Mrs. Kowal,

It's about time.

Sincerely,
Mr. Fisher

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

Looks like I forgot to post when I finished mine, on dec 31, shortly before hitting the bubbly stuff.

It made it to about 65k words in the end. I'll probably start work on the second draft some time in the next few months.

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Yay Jules! Perfect timing on the finish line.
GZ
Member # 1374

Alas, I haven't written a single word more on mine. The end of Nov. and all of Dec. ended up being really busy for me. I have started reading back through what I wrote and making notes about what needs to be expanded and repaired.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.