Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » HUB Disbelief Suspenders (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: HUB Disbelief Suspenders
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
This topic is a segue from the Deus Ex Machina thread. What I'm hoping to learn and passionately discuss is the process of suspending disbelief. In other words, challenging our core beliefs about any given subject.

For example, we know that the Earth is round-ish, but it wasn't always round -- at least, it took a long time for people to believe it to be true -- and it used to be flat and maybe riding on the back of a giant turtle ... "It's turtles all the way down!"

But what if I were to write a story where people lived on a flat world? Such as Larry Niven's Ringworld (if memory serves). How would I go about creating believability of that world without resorting to hard science? How could I get my readers to suspend disbelief that such a world could exist?

Or, like in the DEM thread, how could I convince readers that aliens would want to inhabit a world that rained poison? Such as in the movie Signs. What would necessitate that motivation? How would you do it?

The above examples aren't important. What I believe does matter is the methodology to suspend disbelief properly. Not to force the reader to say, "Oh, yeah?" but to get them to say, "I wonder if such a thing could really happen--or has happened--in our universe?" We want them to believe in the fantastical worlds we create and we want them to invest in our characters; to understand their motivations fully. But when we miss the mark (and that seems incredibly easy to do), we've got the equivalent of "When Good Pets Go Bad" or worse.

One more example before I finish this lengthy piece: How do I convince my readers that 1+1 = 3? Because everyone believes it equals 2. But does it?

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
1+1=3 for sufficiently large values of 1. This is something we used to say at a school of engineers. I always thought about it this way.

1.4 gets rounded to 1, but 1.4+1.4 gets rounded to 3.

That's a bunch of silliness, and it really doesn't have to do with your question, but I thought I'd throw that out there. I also sa a complicated mathematical proof that arrived at the same conclusion, but I'm pretty sure it was flawed and I can't possibly remember it now.

Suspending disbelief is a difficult thing, and I'll expand upon what HSO is saying by adding the following: I've written Oh yeah? in response to things that the author later told me were absolutely true. I know for a fact that I've given them the benefit of the doubt on things that were not rue. The same thing has happened to me...I had a personal experience of mine ripped apart by the believability critics.

For one thing, and this is just terrible but it's true...I tend to suspend disbelief if it's published. Please don't shoot me I'm just being honest. Most of the examples of believability I can think of either come from amateur stories I've critiqued.

I also find more believability issues, in general, in a tv/movie medium than in book mediums. I don't know why this is. Maybe because more things can go wrong in a movie...bad acting, bad special effects, lousy cinematography...on top of the writing. Or maybe because seeing and hearing gives me a fuller picture. I'm not really sure, I just know I'm having trouble coming up with written published examples at the moment...maybe if I rea dmore short stories...

There are a million little things that can destroy the suspension of disbelief in the writing itself, which is what we carea about, so in all bad examples I use I will focus on that element, even if they are in movie form. First of all, there are unbelievable characters. This is the fundamental flaw with the television series "Charmed." The women behave in such a stupid manner that it is a miracle (not a deus ex machine...just a miracle) that they are alive. People, when faced with the threat of death, do not babble on about how they're missing their dates. I just don't believe it. I don't know if everyone can follow this example or not but the point is that characters need to behave in a manner that is both realistic as a person and for a situation. There may very well be a wicca barbie out there but she'll be killed by a demon her first time out so she's probably not going to live to be the hero of your story. A hero can't be too stupid to live, and in fantasy in particular I hate when magical powers are limitd only by the intelligence and imations of the person using them. If a person can teleport, then what the heck are they doing just standing there while someone's throwing magic at them? Don't tell me they didn't think about it!

The first thing that could go wrong was long. But I'm going to keep rambling on anyway and you can read or not.

I just read up to the top and it seemed like HSO was getting on about believable technology more than anything else. I'm going to tailor my points that way then. I'm sorry, I missed it. I think the thing is, though, that if I believe in your characters and situation then I will probably believe in your science. If your characters seem to be smart and know what they're talking about then I'll go with that. That's now always true. If you want an element of hard scifi in your stories (or even just firmness without the soft padding of my person brand of scifi) then you will have to do a little research as well.

Most importantly, RXPLAIN IT! I hope one of the hatrack writers doesn't mind me using their short story as an example...I won't mention your name. I recently critiqued a piece that had a girl who had mild allergies before she went away to college and when she came back she could die if she was in the same room with this cat. I didn't buy it. I wondered why her allergies weren't so bad before she left. As it happens, this is one of those times that the author came back and told me she'd just seen a special about this on the news...about kids going away to college and coming back with worse pet allergies than ever. There's a name for it. My suggestion to her and to any of you who run into this...meet it head-on! Have the characters notice this strangeness and comment on it. Giving something a NAME goes ana amazingly long way to making me believe it, as crazy as that sounds. Merely acknowledging it can work too. Hey, at least the characters aren't dummies, they saw what I saw.

I think that's why I started off on my tangent....because believability stars with characters. The right characters that I care about, sympathize with, and who are intelligent in just the right ways can make me believe almost anything. You could convince me that the moon was made of blue cheese if you set it up right, even though I know that's not true. I have no problem with Terry Pratchett's world riding on the back of a turtle supported by four elephants. Of course, in fantasy it is easier to make me believe because it's all supposed to be werid and magical but still...

I'm going to stpo this post now because I have some other things I had to do this morning, not particularly because I was done.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I also saw a complicated mathematical proof that arrived at the same conclusion, but I'm pretty sure it was flawed and I can't possibly remember it now.

I couldn't give you the proof now either, but somewhere around the middle, it divided by (x-y), which by previous steps the variables in question had been defined in such a way that (x-y) = 0. Dividing by zero is a big no-no.

But that might be a good analogy for what HSO is asking about. If you first saw the proof, and didn't work through it step by step, it looked okay. Everything up to and after that one step was valid mathmatical choices. Same thing applies to a story. Bury those oddities, the ones that are going to need suspension of disbelief, in flood of grounding reality. Character actions that read true, and have logical motivations. Other physical facts that are correct. Real science. Historical detail, if applicable. If everything else seems real, the reader is more likely to gloss over and accept what isn't.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the main thing that has to happen in order for people to suspend belief is for the author to make it believable. I know that's kind of a cheap answer, but it basically all comes down to consistency. A reader comes to a work of fiction with suspended disbelief as a default setting. If not, they either actually believe the world and characters in the book are real and need to reexamine their view of reality or would be better off picking up some nice nonfiction. The point is that I don't think the author has to force the reader to suspend his disbelief (ESPECIALLY with fantasy or scifi)...but the author can sure destroy it if he isn't careful.

I think what it comes down to is whether or not the author proposes a consistent set of rules for his world and his characters, and STICKS TO IT. Creating fantastical situations and worlds is touchy business. The author has to anticipate every instance in which a reader might say "That could never happen" and preempt it with an "Oh, yes it could! here's why and here's why that makes sense in the setting I've described."

If you're relying on science as it works in this world to drive some event that happens in your own, it has to conform pretty well to rules that your reader is familiar with. If it doesn't conform, you have to explain why it works differently in your world, and how it came to be that way. If you just show it happening differently and drop it, the reader will say "well, that could never happen, and here's why" and, having no answer from you, will continue to disbelieve.

The best way to deal with that, IMHO, is to think through your characters, settings, and ideas as thoroughly as possible so you can preempt disbelief. I've "believed" in everything from jubilee tides to telekenisis because the authors have done such a complete job explaining to me why they're possible.

My basic point: it's not up to the author to make the reader suspend disbelief. It's up to the author to make sure that the reader never finds occasion to UN-suspend it.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

INTERNAL CONSISTENCY
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

Aye.
GZ
Member # 1374

Yep.

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatracker Luc Reid has a story in Writers of the Future XIX set on a flat Earth, in which a character wants to make "A Ship That Bends" in order to sail around the edge of the world to the other side. I had no trouble suspending disbelief for the story. You are allowed one absolutely blatant contradiction of known fact, as long as you make everything else consistent with that contradiction.

[This message has been edited by EricJamesStone (edited September 11, 2004).]

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
cicerocat
Member # 2138

- posted      Profile for cicerocat   Email cicerocat         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For example, we know that the Earth is round-ish, but it wasn't always round -- at least, it took a long time for people to believe it to be true -- and it used to be flat and maybe riding on the back of a giant turtle ... "It's turtles all the way down!"

A by the way: from my history text book for college (I believe), it said that in Columbus's day they did know the world was round and that the misconception of people from around Columbus's age thought it was otherwise came from either the 1900s or the 1800s (I can't remember if it were 19th Century, or 1900s; I'll have to hunt down the book).

quote:
How would I go about creating believability of that world without resorting to hard science? How could I get my readers to suspend disbelief that such a world could exist?

Well, how does Niven do it? (For some reason, I thought it was Pratchett). There will be a little science in it that shows up. For instance, the way our moon shows phases was a clue to the people of the past that our world was round. So, how does a flat world show up on things around it, such as the moon? You could also find ways to slip it into the story, such as people looking at a map or you could even have a some character think back on how "ignorant" people were in the past, thinking that the world was round. Maybe there's even some kinda common spoken phrase that came out of it. It might affect their religion. Having a flat world would definitely affect life (days, seasons, etc), period. If details of it shows up enough and it shows that the populace believes this fact, it might not even matter if the readers don't believe the world is flat for this story--that is, if it isn't integral to the character's solving whatever problem they have.

The same with your other examples (though I'm not waxing longwinded any more ;-). If you include enough details, and have it pervade the character's actions and world, etc., it becomes more believable. If the characters believe it, readers are also more likely to believe it too--unless we're presented evidence to the otherwise.

Cya,
CC

[This message has been edited by cicerocat (edited September 11, 2004).]

Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps one way to get the reader to suspend disbelief is to work hard to have them buy into a story and character before reaching the point at which the willing suspension of disbelief is required. Sympathy for the character, rooting for the good guys, the rush to the climax, all these work to encourage the reader to suspend disbelief.

Well, most of the time, anyway.

I was having a good time watching Star Wars, with no problem suspending my disbelief, until the space battle scene at the Deathstar, at which point it all fell apart for me.

I was almost enraged that the producer felt that I was so stupid that I would swallow WWII era technology and dogfights, in space. And hearing the guns firing made it even worse. What a crock! I still get mad thinking about it.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited September 11, 2004).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
But that movie started with guns and explosions making noise in space....

Anyway, I'll go back to Christine's first point, which is that if the characters are idiots, then we tend to wonder whether the writer is an idiot.

Contemporary settings and mirthful fantasy can get away with this, on the one hand because there is nothing for most people to disbelieve in the first (I actually have enormous difficulty suspending disbelief with most contemporary literature) and because belief is not an integral part of enjoying the latter. In both, it is better for the author to seem witty than the characters to seem intelligent.

But in most non-satiric work, you must make the characters seem intelligent enough to be real people. There are several components of this intelligence. One key point is that intelligent characters notice things about the world around them (like a person with a mild allergy that morphs into a nigh fatal allergy). Intelligent characters also behave intelligently. They notice inobvious solutions to problems, they don't get stuck in stupid fake dicotomies and so forth, they just generally avoid acting like idiots (and notice when they do act like idiots). And intelligent characters are also "morally" intelligent, they can see when something is grossly wrong, even if it is a situation the author just thought up.

Of course, character intelligence is in the eye of the beholder, but also in the mind of the author. Take time to really think about what readers will expect the character to notice, avoid having the characters act like fools just because you want them to do something, and occasionally step back and see if they are moral imbeciles. When you're making a character less intelligent, make sure that you understand exactly what sort of stupidity they're showing and demonstrate to the reader that you, the author, are writing that character as being stupid in that way.

Once a reader believes in the characters, then believing in the world they inhabit is easy. The correlary is that if characters (including scary aliens) act too stupid to live, readers will not believe in the story.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished watching a movie that I found completely unbelievable because of something Survivor mentioned--moral unbelievability (disbelievability? nonbelievability? Whatever).

There's a spoiler coming, but don't sweat it too much; at worst I will make a pretty bad movie even less interesting for you.

The movie was "Out of Time" with Denzel Washington and Eva Mendez. The entire movie is about Denzel doing bad things, and he never has to pay any consequence for it. He cheats on his wife, who is a good woman (not that it would be excusable if she was bad). His mistress cons him into robbing the police station of a bunch of money from a drug bust (he's a cop). Mistress takes the money, stages the death of her and her husband, and frames him for their murders. In the course of trying to escape being caught, he kills a man and breaks all kinds of laws, including obstruction of justice, forging federal documents, etc. etc. etc. I'm sure you get the point.

The ending? He gets the money back, gets it into the right federal hands so they don't know he stole it, gets off completely clean for the people (yes, people, not person) he killed, and his wife even gets back with him even though he blatantly cheated on her. I found it completely unbelievable. If he had gotten some jail time, even just a little bit, I could have bought that. If his wife (who knew all about everything he had done) had sold him up the river because after all, he treated her like trash, I would have bought that. If his wife had at least demanded a divorce, I could have bought that.

A story needs to be believable as far as justice is concerned, as well as technology, character believability, and internal consistency. The Universe has to operate believably.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

Thanks for all the responses so far. Sorry for not coming back to this topic sooner, I was a bit busy yesterday... and will be for the next week, actually.

It's been a long time since I read Ringworld or whatever book it was I read -- I thought it might have been Niven. Apologies if my memory failed that.

About explosions in space not making sound. Anyone with any knowledge of space/physics, etc. would know that, but I think moviemakers gamble on the fact (or they are just ignorant of science) that the average movie-goer could care less. And, it would probably be pretty dull watching those scenes without sound. Still, you could use music effectively... but anyway.

Eric, thanks for your comment, that one is easily remembered.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Survivor, that's true, but the point I was tring to make (and not very well) was that I was willing to suspend for a while, but not when it became critical. During the Deathstar scene, the pilot actually 'reacts' to sounds of gunfire and explosions. As the probability of surviving and continuing his mission was low anyway, it really pissed me off that they cose to use such an unbelievable mechanism to help him get through the dogfights. In other combat situations (and I do not remember them all) there were other plausible means to detect weapons fire.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
HSO> Niven wrote Ringworld, but the world of the title was not flat. It was a giant ring in orbit around a star, and the population lived on its inner surface, kept pinned there by the rapid speed of the spinning world.

In a way, this is much more unlikely than a flat world, particularly if you start to work out just _how_ fast the world needs to be spinning. Niven did this, and came up with an explanation for it -- the world is made up of scrith, an impossibly strong material formed by matter transmutation.

On the subject of sound effects in space battle sequences, there are a few things that can work realistically; first, there's going to be constant radio chatter between the pilots. There will always be engine noise; the weapon of the ship the camera is "in" will make noises when it fires, so you won't end up with a silent sequence. If the ships have any kind of (probably impossible) shielding, then this can make noise when it is hit.

The question that remains is, can the audience tolerate silent explosions? I think so. I never heard any complaints about the silence of the explosion at the end of Alien. It's been a while since I watched any, but I think Babylon 5 took the right approach, too.

quote:
I was almost enraged that the producer felt that I was so stupid that I would swallow WWII era technology and dogfights, in space.

But not that he thought you would believe in people using an energy weapon as if it were a sword? I mean, the lightsaber is _clearly_ an inferior weapon when compared with most of the others available. Except those guns the stormtroopers use that seem to fire in an almost random direction...

[Edited to stop it from sounding like the people lived on the surface of ringworld's star. Ouch.]

[This message has been edited by Jules (edited September 12, 2004).]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

Right... Blast you, George Lucas, for making a mockery of SF (especially the last two!)

Did that cover it?

Okay, raise your hand if you remember the television show "Mork and Mindy". I was but a wee thing, but I recall a good portion of it -- it might have been my favourite show at the time (or it could have been "Busom Buddies" -- who can remember such things at the ripe ol' age of 33?).

Basically (and major spoilers if you haven't seen this late 70's/early 80's show), Mork was an alien; their species aged backwards: They started off old-looking, and got younger-looking as they aged, but still had the mentality of child at birth and so on. Not only that, but they sat on their heads and did other weird stuff, too, and Mork said things like "Nanu Nanu." I think he even developed some strange powers as time went on, but I digress.

But it's an interesting concept to draw from, this aging backwards thing. On Earth, nothing ages like that. All things start young and grow old, gaining experience as they do, and eventually withering and dying.

This is the concept of plausibility I'm after -- or maybe not this specific thing, but something that truly and utterly makes us think: "Uh-huh, like fer sure!"

Now I can think of a dozen ways to accomplish the above example that has nothing to do w/ Mork and Mindy. It could be a simple matter of creatures that do not follow the straight line of time like we do, for instance, and instead must go back in time to live their lives (or perhaps it's a second life given to relive their life backwards...)

It could be anything, really. This is the core at what I'd like to really learn and hone. Plausibility coupled with the fantastical implausibility. Something that is truly different than life on Earth.

And I say this because I'm quite tired of getting critiques that say, "Didn't believe it." And my first reaction is: What a BS thing to say, and later I realize it's true and I've failed at suspending disbelief -- at least for that reader anyway.

Of course, to go with that, just saying the above "Didn't believe it." and not offering up anything else as to why you didn't is actually a crap thing to say. Luckily, I've only had a few critiques that did that.

So, I'm here to learn from you guys what to avoid; how to tackle the unbelievable; how to get all, if not most, of my readers to buy what I'm selling them.

Internal Consistency... where to begin? Surely, this doesn't mean outlining and stuff, does it? I could die of boredom if I had to do that.

goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Pratchett has written several books about flat worlds. Some on the back of turtles (if I recall right) and at least one I am aware of in which the world is actually an artifact.

I think disbelief will only be suspended by a reader who cares to do so. If the reader is not connecting with the characters, (and ultimately with the writer's thoughts and ideas,) then it will be difficult for them to believe whatever fancy I'm pushing at the moment. So, the question for me is: How do you connect with a reader in such a fashion to make them want to suspend disbelief? This would appear to be a variant of the "hook".

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

Internal Consistency had nothing to do with outlining, unless that's the way you work. It has to do with setting up the rules of your world, and sticking to them, and employing a logical and developed flow of cause and effect/motivation and action so expectations are fulfilled (which is not to say it has to be predictable, but only that it could be in hindsight.) At what point that all gets settled (outline, second draft, etc.) is up to your style.

Trying to tie this to Mork and Mindy, a show I vaguely remember from childhood.

The potential improbables: Mork is an alien, Mork physically ages backwards.

How is this make more believable: Mork acts young the way viewers expect someone young to act despite his more humanly mature appearance, depending on and reporting to the egg in each episode. He also acts like someone that doesn't understand Earth customs, fulfilling another viewer expectation. I'm thinking a lot of the earthlings on the show didn't believe his origins either, echoing the viewer's disbelief. Plus, the whole thing had an aspect of slap-stick comedy, which I think takes the suspension factor up a notch from a more dramatic situation.

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited September 12, 2004).]

Survivor
Member # 213

quote:
the whole thing had an aspect of slap-stick comedy, which I think takes the suspension factor up a notch from a more dramatic situation.

It was more than just one aspect of slapstick, we are talking about Robin William's breakout role here. And for slapstick, you don't want the audiance to believe, if they believe, then they won't laugh when the characters get hurt. Since the whole point of slapstick is that you laugh at people that appear to be getting hurt (the term itself comes from a simple device used to accomplish this effect on stage, a stick with a hinged part that makes a loud clapping noise during a simulated hit), it doesn't work half so well if you believe it.

quote:
During the Deathstar scene, the pilot actually 'reacts' to sounds of gunfire and explosions. As the probability of surviving and continuing his mission was low anyway, it really pissed me off that they cose to use such an unbelievable mechanism to help him get through the dogfights.

EJS is the one that pointed out in another thread that this is actually something that makes a lot of sense. If you want to improve a fighter pilot's chances of survival in a complex environment, for heaven's sake turn as much of your sensor data as possible into intuitive feedback so that the pilot can dodge explosions and such without having to check his instruments.

I suppose that I could make the same argument about the visible beam weapons, eh?

No? Well, I stick with my previous argument, they give you plenty of time in the beginning to get used to lasers that travel slower than bullets (and a laser beam that apparently has mass) because it's the weapon of a guy that uses magic and noises in space and all that good stuff.

If you buy the characters, then you'll buy the rest. Of course, all the "rest" can help you buy the characters....

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I think all fiction needs you to suspend disbelief in some way. Lets face it, we're making this stuff up. Its a confidence trick where people know they're being hoodwinked but like the ride.

Maybe different genres come with differing preset thresholds.

I reckon its the little things, the details, that hook you in. Like a good con-man, the more details they know about you the more likely it is that you will believe their story.

Details, skillfully and purposefully included, can provide the foundation for the zinger, the really unbelievable bit, moving it from the ludicrous to plausible.

I guess what I mean is; understand what the genre naturally accepts, and also what is genuinely unlikely or unbelievable and build enough details into your story along the way to prove the 'zinger' when it happens.

Now my question is why can't I seem to believe or enjoy 'present tense" stories?

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited September 13, 2004).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

That's simple -- to suspend disbelief you have to accept the story without being conscious of the fact that it _is_ a story. This is an ability we normally build as children, but almost always with past tense stories. Anything different about the story calls attention to the fact that it is a story, just a collection of words, and interferes with your acceptance of it.

You'd probably have similar problems if you tried reading a story in a foreign language, even if you were good enough at reading it that you weren't constantly going for the dictionary. This would happen at least the first few times you tried it, possibly more, I think. I know it did for me.

Christine
Member # 1646

That's a good point, Jules. I forgot that I can't stand books written in present tense, especially first person present tense Unless I'm being asked to critique the latter, I won't read it (and I always tell them so) and I'm not wild about even third person present tense. Somehow, perhaps simply because we've been trained out entire life to read past tense stories, they don't seem real and they don't seem as in the moment, despite them reading as if the action is happening right now.

Some of the comments about Star Wars have caused me to think over some believability issues. The thing is, I know you can't hear lasers in space but I got to tell you, if they weren't there I'd believe it LESS, not MORE. Why? Because I've never been in a vacuum. I've never experienced the silent firefights egghead skeptics so disdain. In a book, where there are no sound effects, you can explain the way sound works in a vacuum and that will be fine but in a live action movie it doesn't work the same. The truth is, in order to disbelieve something that is true in your normal environment, something that you've lived your entire life, it takes a certain amount of intellectualizing, of pausing the movie in your head to bring the scientific rule into play. I *choose* not to do that when I watch Star Wars because I like the movies very much. (The real ones, not those prequels they made that as far as I'm concerned don't exist. )

Someone mentioned it, I'm not going back to look at who....I do feel as if some people are trying to look for errors in movies and books. I feel this way in critiques of my own works and reviews of other's work. When it comes across that way, I take neither seriously. People do have to have a willingness to suspend disbelief and one of the things that blocks us is when we hear some scientific tidbit somewhere and feel so special that we know about it that we then have to hate any movies that break this rule. Interestingly, most of the actual scientists I know can still suspend disbelief.

It's like when I was a kid and my family went to see a movie (I can't remember which) and my little brother was being a pain in the *#@ saying he'd hate it. During the movie (a comedy) he laughed uproriously with the rest of us but when we left the theatre he crossed his arms and announced that he'd hated the movie, just like he said! He probably even believed it.

As authors, what can we do about these people? Absolutely nothing. They exist and it is good for us to know in advance that they exist so we are prepared that there will always be some people who hate what we do for one reason or another, but that's about it.

goatboy
Member # 2062

Those noises were being made by the same band that was following everyone around playing the theme music. I was going to see if I could get them to follow me around and play my theme music, too, but it costs too much. So for now I have to hum-- while the voices in my head sing the words.
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
1+1 can equal 2,3 or 4 -- when counting on your fingers.

Hold up two fingers. There are two. Stare at them intently and you will probably see three or four. Really there are still only two, but the visual perception is more.

Enough of that

One of my WIPs had me stumped in the disbelief department for sometime. The concept: Robin Hood was not male but female. That was the easy part. The hard part: finding a way to tell the story that would be believable.

I didn't want to go back and re-write history, so I thought about setting it in the future on Earth, and that somehow society regressed and lost much of it's technology etc. This really didn't work because even I couldn't suspend my own belief long enough to write more than a few pages.

Then it hit me. If I set it on another planet, I can create whatever I want!

quote:
What I believe does matter is the methodology to suspend disbelief properly. Not to force the reader to say, "Oh, yeah?" but to get them to say, "I wonder if such a thing could really happen--or has happened--in our universe?"

I don't think readers have to be able to wonder whether something could be real as long as they don't believe it can't be real. Plausability vs Possibility.

A movie that comes to mind is Waterworld. Personally I liked this movie, it isn't one of my favourites, but I still think it's entertaining. The majority of people out there probably disagree me (at least if the box office is any measure).

Why? Is it so unbelievable that there could be a planet whose surface is almost entirely covered in water? That the inhabitants would live in floating cities and ride in boats? That part isn't too unbelievable. That this planet is Earth in the future? It's a bit of a stretch especially with the way society is portrayed.

I think part of belief suspension is tied to what people want to believe. If someone has a fundamental reason for not believing that a planet can be flat, then there is little you can do as a writer to convince them. You just hope there are enough readers out there willing to swallow it (handwavium pellets are really handy here ) and as long as everything remains consistent to the world you have created, you should be okay. In theory (and everything works in theory ).

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor said
quote:
Since the whole point of slapstick is that you laugh at people that appear to be getting hurt... it doesn't work half so well if you believe it.
and I want to say that I agree wholeheartedly. It's one of the reasons I don't like slapstick. (I guess I want to be able to suspend disbelief.)

I remember how shocked I was at the laughter at the end of IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD when all those people were flying off of that fire engine ladder. If it had really happened, it would absolutely not have been funny. And a story with humor that depends on you not believing it is just too wonky for me.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Remember the 'choose your own adventure' stories that always started; 'You are walking down the street when...' '

But I wasn't walking down a street I was sitting on a sofa.

With some kids you can say something like: 'What would happen if apples were blue?' and they answer,
'But apples are red.'
'Yeah I know, but let's say apples COULD be blue.'
'Did someone paint it?'
'No its just blue.'
'But apples are red.'

Maybe because you are challenging their bright, shiny new understanding of how the world works and you obviously don't understand how apples work.

I wonder if a reader sometimes echoes this process.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited September 13, 2004).]

Survivor
Member # 213

Why would you say "what if apples were blue?"
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The thing is, I know you can't hear lasers in space but I got to tell you, if they weren't there I'd believe it LESS, not MORE. Why? Because I've never been in a vacuum.

When I read that, I thought of these people and others like them.

The Apollo Hoax

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

What a great conspiracy! I've got to include that one in my story...
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I think blue apples would remind me of Smurfs.
Survivor
Member # 213

Okay, so we have a possible reason to say such a thing. It will make Robyn think of Smurfs.
Keeley
Member # 2088

I hope it does get included in a story simply because it would make great comedy. Go for it, Christine!

It all goes back to Robyn_Hood's answer.

And in case anyone here got thrown by the link I posted -- I seriously doubt it, but still -- I'll put up a couple more. The first presents both sides of the "argument" and the other definitely believes the landings took place.

Free Dictionary.com entry on Apollo hoax accusations

Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy

hoptoad
Member # 2145

I can't believe you guys haven't heard of blue apples, Anunnaki etc...Ancient Stargate Technology.
he he he

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

Hrm. Anyone want to get into a metaphysics discussion about whether or not the term "blue apple" has a referent?
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

quote:
Remember the 'choose your own adventure' stories that always started; 'You are walking down the street when...'
But I wasn't walking down a street I was sitting on a sofa.

I loved reading "Choose your own Adventure" stories! They were great; I got to be the hero, choose where the story would go and die a thousand deaths.

I've never had much use for reality and have always much preferred suspending my disbelief.

And I'm glad we've decided there can be blue apples (we did decide that, didn't we? ). I do have a question or two though: When we're told that Smurfs are 'three apples high', what colour are those apples? Would blue apples be 1/3 the size of a Smurf, or are blue apples and Smurfs the same size? Would blue apples be called Smapples?

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited September 15, 2004).]

goatboy
Member # 2062

I believe they would be called bapples. My question would be: "Are they blue because they are sad?" In which case, should they be named unhapples?
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I like reading "choose your own Adventure" books Cover to cover straight. It's odd and reads like a book about causality.

I seem to remember an RPG some time ago where this lady would let you through a door if you brought her a blue apple. (and hey if they can make a tobacco plant glow they can make a blue apple.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Smapples! Isn't that where blue Kool-aid comes from?
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
bladeofwords
Member # 2132

- posted      Profile for bladeofwords   Email bladeofwords         Edit/Delete Post 
This is acting like a bad acid trip or something, what with the multicolored fruit. It would probably end up being a purplish color too. As for slapstick, I totally agree. Whenever we are doing some sort of physical humor in theatre we have to make sure that there is some signal that it's a trick because people freak out otherwise. (unfortunately somebody still does.)

We did a night of "rough acting" skits and halfway through the third one someone told their friend to stop laughing because it wasn't very nice to the actors.

I think that pointing out how weird something is definitely helps (if it is appropriate to the situation). If the character don't believe it either but are somehow forced to accept it and the reader likes the character they too must accept it. I liked Waterworld too (Kevin Costner movies are my guilty pleasure) but the whole future-earth thing didn't really do it for me. (Same thing in the postman).

Jon

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

On the subject of the "Apollo mission hoax" theory, I have to say I love this page:

http://www.lunaranomalies.com/fake-moon.htm

The author thoroughly debunks the theory. Then presents his own conspiracy theory in its place. Utterly brilliant, if you ask me.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

quote:
(Same thing in the postman)

I liked The Postman a lot better than Waterworld because I think it did a better job of showing how the world came to be in its current state. I don't know as I liked the ending much, it just seemed like it moved too quickly. But I suppose since it took me more than two hours to lose my disbelief, and then for only five or so minutes, I can still say I like the movie

Keeley
Member # 2088

Thank you, Jules, for that link. Not only was their rebuttal informative, but their counter-conspiracy gave me a good laugh and made my day a bit brighter.

I haven't seen the Postman, but I have seen Waterworld. It was a good movie, but I thought the book was better. Just my opinion.

TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Any movie that puts Tom Petty as the mayor of a town is OK by me. I really liked the Postman. I can really see the U.S. being broken-up like that. Plus, it was filmed in Utah, practically in my backyard.

But waterworld wasn't really feaseable. No real way to make fresh water, other than rain. Humans couldn't survive, at least not for hundreds of years. The evolution thing didn't work for me either. And everybody knows that metal boats and jet-ski's wouldn't continue to operate for hundreds of years. I couldn't get past those things.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

It has been a long time since I saw Waterworld, but I never really understood how the Earth came to be in that state. Was it a neuclear war that ended up melting the ice-caps and causing the genetic mutations? Or was it the greenhouse effect which melted the caps and a lack of ozone which allowed solar radiation to cause the mutations?

As long as I don't think too much about it, I still enjoy the movie. What it really comes down to is, I just don't care about the how so much as I care about the now what.

Whitney
Member # 2176

- posted      Profile for Whitney   Email Whitney         Edit/Delete Post 
I may be re-iterating everything that everyone has previously said but briefly reading through most of the posts I think there's something I would like to point out.

Suspension of disbelief has two parts to it. The first - very simplistic - the reader is already coming to the table of your story with a mind that they are reading something that is not real, never happened and so the slate is clean to create whatever craziness comes into the authors head. If they don't, they are just as bad as those de-criers of Star Wars telling us that lazer and explosions blasts can't be heard in a vacuum. For all intents and purposes who care as long as it makes the story exciting??

Second, (and I hope I explain this coherently) your character and how he reacts to his world plays a large part in helping your reader suspend disbelief. If your character takes for granted that green horses flew over his head, then the reader in turn will make note in his head that in real life there are no real green horses and horses really don't fly but that doesn't matter here because the character doesn't seem to find it unusual. That to me is what suspension of disbelief is all about - what your character would consider everyday, ordinary things, the reader would consider fantastic and wonderful.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
bladeofwords
Member # 2132

- posted      Profile for bladeofwords   Email bladeofwords         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless of course green horses are unsusual, even for your character.

All those problems with waterworld bugged me too but it was just so cool and I really really wanted it to be real, dig it?

So do the disbelief suspenders attach to the HUB directly or are they merely included in the package?

Jon

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I have my Disbelief Suspenders rigged to support my BS Detector when it gets too heavy. It works great that way.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Birdie, birdie in the sky,
Dropping whitewash in my eye.
Boy I'm glad that cows (and green horses) can't fly!

That was a little poem my mom used to quote from time to time. I think it adequately illustrates the danger of any large, flying mammals.

quote:
So do the disbelief suspenders attach to the HUB directly or are they merely included in the package?

The disbelief suspenders come standard with the HUB 1.2, but are considered an upgrade from the HUB 1.1. You can use the two of them together, however, the HUB is more of a writer's tool, while the disbelief suspenders are more of a reader's tool.

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited September 17, 2004).]

Whitney
Member # 2176

- posted      Profile for Whitney   Email Whitney         Edit/Delete Post 
In regards to my flying green horse, I was going to say something about fish-out-of-water stories after I had posted my first comment, because then your reader is not the only one experiencing the wonder - your character is too but the same mechanics can apply to the other characters in your story as well when it comse to the strange normality of their world.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

By the way, while I'm confident that we really did go to the moon, I'm on the fence about the "anomalous lunar structures" coverup debate. On the issue of a deliberate effort to coverup the Cydonia "face" and other structures, I think that NASA has unambiguously convicted themselves by releasing heavily "enhanced" versions which disagree markedly with each other and mainly seem designed to obscure the very face-like struture of the actual surface feature.

It has been unambiguously admitted by NASA and a number of former astronauts that it was and remains common practice to cover up unusual/inexplicable phenomena observed during space missions. My favorite was when high altitude observations of thunderstorms revealed that spectacular lightning bolts shooting miles straight up from the top of thunderclouds are a regular feature of thunderstorms. When someone thought to ask NASA about them, their reaction was "Oh, we were wondering what those were." There wasn't even a hint of chagrin about not having reported it.

Obviously, when you go into space, you're going to see some strange things. And I can understand the argument that it is better to not admit to having seen anything until you're ready to explain it. But I disagree with that argument. I think that the best way to maintain scientific integrity is to admit you saw it, even if you can't explain it.

But me, impugn NASA? Let's just say I'm not really that good at suspending my disbelief.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.