Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Lovelock

Author Topic: Lovelock
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm not going to gripe about why there are no other books in the Mayflower Trilogy. Let's talk about witnesses (and professions).

If you were a character on the Mayflower, what kind of animal would you have as a witness, and why? What would his/her/its name be? Also, why would you have a witness?

I think that either I'd have a cat (Felis cattus) named Professor Moriarty or a python (of some sort) named Lucifer. Why? Well, cats and pythons are very clean, unobtrusive, reasonably intelligent, and capable of simply looking at things. Either could also be slightly useful in certain situations (I'd equip mine with wireless ports since neither has hands or anything like that).

The python has an edge in that it's likely to live much longer and eat less (though it will need to eat real meat). It would also be a bit more wearable and less likely to inspire an allergic reaction in others. And of course it's much better in a fight, an enhanced python could reasonably be expected to kill one or two bad guys if necessary.

Of course, since I would prefer to be on the extra-solar planetary astronomy team, I should hardly expect that to be necessary too often.

Of course, either would be quite stealthy, but a cat would have a slight advantage in the "hidden in plain sight" catagory. Humans tend to make a fuss if they notice a large snake wandering about, so a python would have to remain totally hidden to avoid being "spotted". A cat would only need to hide from a few particular humans in such a situation (if, indeed, even they would notice seeing a cat about).

The bad thing is that everyone would always think I was up to something...but they tend to think that anyway.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious about this topic, but I have yet to read Lovelock (or any of the Mayflower Trilogy). I did read the first chapter here on Hatrack and I think I'm going to have to hunt down a dead-tree version.

Based on the first chapter only, I would probably choose to have either a dwarf mongoose named Rikki-Tikki-Tavi (after Rudyard Kipling's character), or a Jack Russell Terrier named Jack (or J.R. for short).

I would choose the mongoose because it intrigues me and it can be useful (hunting all kinds of undesirable vermin). I would choose the terrier because they are extremely intelligent. Both are observant and quick to react.

I'm not sure why I would have a witness, but from the little bit I read, it sounds like they could be useful.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.