Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » 4th ReWrite Discussion Zone (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 4th ReWrite Discussion Zone
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Here it is! Just in case you're scratching your head because there's a Discussion Zone but no Challenge, stop scratching.

In an effort to gain more interest, I entitled the thread for the 4th Challenge "An Invitation to All". Check it out. There have been a few minor changes made--including an increase in word limit to 5000. You will also find some change in wording that will hopefully draw new participants and encourage just-readers to participate as well.

Please read it over carefully. Let me know if you see something that really gets on your nerves. The parameters for the Nov/Dec challenge are at the bottom of the post. Don't miss them.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
5000 huh? well, i think i'm gunna give this a try, me being new here and all... prepare for a christmas parody folks! hehe, i'm going to go through and make some serious fun of almost any christmas story i can think of... what's more! you are going to get a chance to meet my hallmark characters, Slicer Steele Vinesley and Viniece Cloud Vinesley... oh man, i'm going to have fun with this...

... i think i've been watching too much love hina... oh well, all it did was remove the little sanity i had left to leave me nice and open for this little bit of fun i'm going to have!

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

after thinking on this, and even more important, sleeping on it, i've decided to limit the number of christmas stories i parody... hehe, i'm thinking i'll do two main ones, and then toss in some tiny refences to a few more, so, prolly around five christmas stories are going to be getting made fun of ^^

i'm prolly going to write it as a fantasy... and i wouldn't be surprised if i push the envelope... it'll prolly come to around 4000 words at least, knowing me

EDIT: is anyone else going to do anything for this rewrite challenge? i'm feeling kinda lonely here

[This message has been edited by dpatridge (edited November 09, 2004).]

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't missed one yet and don't plan to start with this one.

I couldn't fall asleep last night because I was developing parts of the story, trying to get a clear picture of the main action, characters, etc.

Welcome to Hatreack and good luck. I hope we get a good sized group together on this one.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll join in, but you probably won't see anything more from me on this thread until closer to the deadline.
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

I'm in on this one. I've already written the first draft of the first scene.
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
No excuses for me this time. I've plenty of time to finish my current project and still have time to write for this one. And I've a tale that's been inside me for several years now that just begs to be told!

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like fun, but I have a novel to write.
Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Don't we all, Magic Beans.

But the rewrite challenge can do two things for you:

a)give you a diversion from the often stressful work of writing a novel (and if you're doing NaNoWriMo, the deadline extends almost to the end of December to give you the time to participate) and
b) maybe give you the framework of a short story worth selling. Can't ever have enough short story publishing credits to impress the book publisher and push your manuscript closer to the top of the pile.

yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say I am not much of a Xmas person. Hey ho... maybe I'll pass this time and wait for the next one.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

I think it is in keeping with the spirit of the challenge to accept tales that are focused around other cultural or religious holidays, if Christmas isn't one that is celebrated by a participant.

yanos:

Perhaps you could favour us with a tale that has a holiday theme that is representative of Thai culture instead? Is there a Thai holiday that focuses on giving?

I know very very little about Thai culture, but would love to learn more. I do love Thai cuisine, or at least what passes for it here in America. *g*

Susan

djvdakota
Member # 2002

Not the Christmas person, Yanos? OK. How about something having to do with the New Year, or the coming of the Solstice? You're in the Southern Hemisphere, aren't you? Is there nothing by way of celebrations or festivals during the Christian world's Christmas? If there is, we'd love to hear a story about one. Even if it doesn't exactly fit the challenge. This one is more open. So open it up!
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll think about it. It's not like I don't have ideas...
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm not much of a Christmas person, either. Next time!
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
Good...

Now I can get to work on my sinister little gift story. HAHAHAHAHA!

(Of course I don't have any idea what it will be yet.)

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

I might have found it easier if the task had been more specific. My creativity works best when I stick strict limits on it.

As for Thai folk tales, well I have been looking for tales to rewrite for a long time now and have yet to find anything that interests me. They also have no winter solstice holiday or the like. After all it is not like we have snow here, so no one really takes any notice.

But, I will see what I can come up with. After all I have a few weeks yet. And once an idea comes the story is never far behind

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in this time and I've been doing some thinking. Believe it or not, I think I may have just come up with a new twist on the age old "A Christmas Carol." I know, I know, it's been beaten to death. It's been done in black and white. It's been done in color. It's been done with singing and dancing. Mickey did it with his friends. Most sitcoms eventually have their version of it in a Christmas special. Bill Murray did it in a rather amusing fashion in Scrogged (a classic, in my opinion) but I honest to goodness think I thought of something that no one else has. (And I'm not going to tell you about it until after I write it because so many time when I think I came up with something new someone did it already and if someone did this already then drat and fuey but if I find out in advance I'll get discouraged and not write it.)

Have fun everyone! I look forward to seeing your drafts next month.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Cool! Christine makes 6 or 7 definites, and a few maybes lurking around out there.

I can't wait until the deadline!

yanos
Member # 1831

Well it is the Loi Krathong festival this week so I think I'll make the origins of the festival the focus of my rewrite. I am going to rewrite a story written in 1863 by the Thai king at the time. I may even try to experiment with omniscient... wish me luck.
shadowynd
Member # 2077

Luck!! We're delighted you'll be sharing a Thai holiday tale with us! Thanks for participating and giving us something just a wee bit different!

Susan

Magic Beans
Member # 2183

I'm definitely working on something: it's called "Pelzebock's Letter."
dpatridge
Member # 2208

haha, well, it's looking like my story is actually going to end up being short! that is completely unexpected for me, i haven't written something that stayed withing the limitations in eons, well, anyways, i said previously:
quote:
it'll prolly come to around 4000 words at least, knowing me
well, now that i've looked at it a bit, i've gotten about halfway through writing it, and i'm at about 1700 words, so double that, and i've got 3400 words are now my estimated story length... this definitely surprises me, well, we'll see, it might get longer, i might find some new twist or something else wierd to do.

another thing, the story is going to be more contemporary i think, i mean, it's set in the future, it's going to go further into the future yet in one of the plot twists (or at least the imagined future of my young dreamer) and yet it has a lot of historical jumble thrown in too (three wise men) but it's entirely from a contemporary standpoint... so i guess i'm just saying i'm writing something i haven't written in a long time, i haven't touched contemporary since i was forced to write it in junior high!

so anyways, i have no idea why i decided to tell you my progress on my story for the rewrite challenge, but i did... btw, does anyone know of any contemporary fiction magazines i could submit this story to once i finish it? i mean, not just after the challenge, because i'm sure it's going to need a lot of editing before it'll be ready to send off, but still, i don't know anything about contemporary fiction short stories, is there even a market for them?

djvdakota
Member # 2002

YAY!!!

Yanos, I'm very pleased to hear you'll be joining us, and look forward to reading. I'm also very happy to see so many participating this time.

Mine's at about 1300 words, with no CLUE how much longer it'll be. I guess that's the difference between a detailed-outline-writer and writers like me, with general outlines and vague ideas of how to connect Alpha and Omega. Eh, dpatridge?

djvdakota
Member # 2002

Had an idea for January's Challenge. Listen up and let me know what you think.

It came to me in a dream, actually.

One word: Laocoon.

I remember Loacoon from Art History in college, and have no clue why he came up in my dreams. But the name kept recurring, in three seperate dreams that night. So I'm following that lead.

Anyway, check out these links and give me your opinion. I like it because it's a fairly unfamiliar tale with great fictional possibilities, IMO.

Check out these links:

http://www.bulfinch.org/fables/bull28.html
http://homepage.mac.com/cparada/GML/Laocoon2.html
http://www.loggia.com/myth/laocoon.html

We're kind of taking a trip around the world with the Rewrite tales--Norse (Gruff), American (Sleepy Hollow), German (Pied Piper), Greek/Trojan for January. I'd love to include tales from ALL over the world. So anyone who has any ideas that have available weblinks to help familiarize our participants with the story, please bring them up. I'll log them in a file and save them for future ideas.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool idea, DJV.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

I'll look through some of the Asian ones for you. Obviously I'm keeping the best for myself... hahaha
yanos
Member # 1831

There are some cool ones here... http://www.e-borneo.com/insideborneo/legend.html

One of my favorites is The Crocodile's Revenge :
http://www.e-borneo.com/insideborneo/legend0004.html

yanos
Member # 1831

This is also a good one - a translation of Arabian Nights

http://mfx.dasburo.com/an/a_index.html

Keeley
Member # 2088

Ooooooooooo.

The fifth Challenge is going to be tough for me. I love that story as it stands. But I think it's a good idea. It'll be interesting to see what comes out of it.

As a side note, I was reading a book a few weeks ago, published in the 50s, that discussed how classical myths still show up in "modern" Greek folklore. Some of the examples used were fascinating, especially regarding Hades and Charon (by the 1950s Charon had replaced Hades as ruler of the dead). The transformation of Demeter to Saint Demetra was interesting as well.

Of course, this book was written in the 1950s. I have no idea if any changes have occured since then.

djvdakota
Member # 2002

Cool, Yanos!

Would you mind taking charge of choosing a story for the February challenge?

And Keeley, would you like to choose one of the Arabian Knight's tales for March?

I think it would be cool if others from, or with experience in, other parts of the world would make suggestions for challenges beyond that. I know hoptoad is in Australia, and Maryrobinette is in Iceland. And Mikemunsill lived in South America for some time. How about Africa?

yanos
Member # 1831

No problem Dakota. I will choose one for Feb. Just remind me if I forget.
dpatridge
Member # 2208

well, i've been out of commission for two days... our computer got hijacked, and we needed to get it taken care of asap!

well, i guess i might be able to do something with the January challenge... it'll be tough for me on the research element

quote:
Mine's at about 1300 words, with no CLUE how much longer it'll be. I guess that's the difference between a detailed-outline-writer and writers like me, with general outlines and vague ideas of how to connect Alpha and Omega. Eh, dpatridge?
detailed outliner? there are people who actually do those? i thought those things were only to make school-teachers and lit professors happy :P

hehe, actually i come up with an idea of what i want to do, toss it all together in my head with a couple of main events. the only things i actually flesh out ahead of time is when i have a particularly complex character that i've never used before. hehe, you should see some of the notes i've got scattered around my bedroom, scripture tote, and desktop for my mortvers! whereas Slicer and Viniece are already intimately known to me, and i don't have ANY notes on them except my mental ones...

so i guess i actually am a detailed outliner, only mentally for the most part

Keeley
Member # 2088

Arabian Nights, huh? Okay. I'll do it.

djvdakota
Member # 2002

Duh! Sorry, Keeley. I had it in my head that it was YOU who posted the link the Arabian Knights tales above.

It was Yanos.

You can still do it if you want to. If not we can wait to see who else responds to the idea suggestions and go from there.

Whatever. <shrug>

djvdakota
Member # 2002

dpatridge, I just don't understand how you can gauge how long your piece is going to be so soon. What goes through your head to determine your word count numbers? Or do you just pull them out of the air? Instinct? How often are your estimates accurate?

That could be some valuable information to have, if you can pass that wisdom on.

Keeley
Member # 2088

Yeah, I'll do it. Unless yanos wants to use Arabian Nights.

We can switch if you want, yanos.

yanos
Member # 1831

THat's ok Keeley. I need to read Arabian nights first...

I'll choose one of the ancient myths/legends ones...

dpatridge
Member # 2208

it's instinctual, i kind of balance my progress through the story, what events have occured, what still needs to occur, and my general amount of wordiness for particular elements...

as i said, in my head, the stories already paraphrased in it's entirety, it's just a matter of building it up to a point where others can understand it... i just write differently i guess djv

as for accuracy, it's usually pretty darn close, i usually try to approximate according to page rather than word, but i would think that'd only be a slight variation... i suppose i could end up as much as 1000 off, but i don't think that'd happen too often... but then again, it's been a while since i wrote anything, so it may quite a bit off *shrug*

[This message has been edited by dpatridge (edited November 25, 2004).]

dpatridge
Member # 2208

i've finished my christmas parody, it's title "A Vinesley Christmas Eve".

it comes to being VERY close to a nice round number of 3k words, or the not so nice, not so round number of 15 pages... i'm ready for readers to tear it up and help me get some tweaking done before the deadline over in Frags.

djvdakota
Member # 2002

I'll take a look dpatridge.

djvdakota
Member # 2002

Ho! Ho! Ho!

Times running out!

Only three more days?

How are they coming?

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, I'm beginning to think I'm going to miss this one. I started planning out one story and it wouldn't develop. I have another idea, but I'm really unsure about whether I can develop the characters and story within the next day or so.
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I had an idea for a Christmas story, but ever since the season kicked into high gear I've been searching longlingly for Christmas movies to watch on TV. It's the week before Christmas, there should be lots of Christmas movies. They're hardly even showing old reruns of A Christmas Carol in its dozen or so incarnations. They're hardly showing any at all. So, desperately wanting some of that Christmas spirit that I often gleam from the movies of the season, I watched the trash they do have on.

Ok
<rant>
What on earth is up with all these Christmas movies about Santa Claus as though he's some kind of miracle worker who makes Christmas come at all? The theme of something interfering with Santa and he has to be rescued in time for Christmas Eve or the holiday will be ruined is sinfully common and I'm about to go CRAZYYYYY!!!! I'm not sure if I'm an idealist or a pessimist, but I have a feeling that the major stores have all teamed up to send out that message: I see a swirl of color going round and round and a voice saying, "You must buy presents. You must buy presents!" As if in answer, some friends of mine came over this weekend laden with gifts more expensive than I would have expected; more than I had planned to spend on any individual member of my family let alone my friends. I hand out the $1 grab bag items my husband and I had chosen to get for everyone trying to decide if I should feel guilty or not. Of course, I shouldn't, but I can only suppose that the swirling colors and voice-overs have done their job that I would even wonder if I should. Since when did Christmas have to be about people going broke? Here's an idea: Why don't we all keep our money and maybe donate part of it to people who will have trouble getting more than toys this year? My father suggested it last year to my extended family, but they thought he was joking. I knew he wasn't and thought it was a fantastic idea. One of these days....

Where was I? Oh yeah, Christmas movies with cute seven-year-olds who are apparently WISER than adults (I always thought wisdom came with age) pleading to adults who have forgotten their youth and lost sight of the magic to please please please hepl put Christmas back to rights because what would happen if we didn't all get our toys?

The Grinch. I didn't actually like the movie with Jim Carrey so much but I loved the book and the cartoon. Talk about the one Christmas story that's gotten it right. And a Christmas Carol had a nice message too. Where are those movies this year? Where is the message that Christmas is about love and generosity and people and family and not about gifts at all? And since when was the only language we could use to demonstrate our love to one another during the holidays that of a gift?

I don't like Santa Claus. Or perhaps it would be better to say I don't like the tradition of Santa Claus we have formed in the United States. I think it would be better if Santa just gave presents to the kids whose parents couldn't afford to bring them anything nice. Wouldn't that be a nice Santa?

</rant>

I'm done now.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Christine, I do believe you just gave the inspiration I needed!
Keeley
Member # 2088

I'm mostly done with mine. There's a problem with tense that I tried to fix, but I'm not sure if I solved it. It intentionally shifts back and forth between present tense and past tense in first person. Hopefully, it's a smooth transition between the two.

Either way, I'm going to have to post it. I won't be able to work on it again before the deadline.

I know what you mean, Christine. It seemed, when I was growing up, like every night there was a Christmas movie on.

Now, nothing.

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited December 20, 2004).]

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of the Grinch, I'm going to suggest that there is a reason that he lives in a cave, hates anything to do with Christmas, and why it is the ultimate expression of his conversion that he, he himself, is willing to carve the "roast beast".

Take a look at the Grinch's lower body. Compare his anatomy to that of the Whos in whoville. Then compare his anatomy to the thing on the plate, the aforementioned "roast beef", and guess what that beast might have been called before it was roasted.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

You're gonna have to help me on this one, Survivor.

I haven't seen the Grinch in YEARS.

Which brings me to my comments for wonderful Christine!

I want you to have a Merry Christmas, Christine. So I'm going to make a suggestion: Turn off the stupid TV and plug in your CD player. Find a local station that's playing non-stop Christmas music, or go buy yourself a copy of The Messiah, or some Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas music, or some other kind of soothing Christmas music that speaks of the true meaning of the season, the spirit of the season, the reason for the season.

As far as giving at Christmas, hubby and I have always tried to do something for someone else, but this year we're the recipients. Hard times. We have little to give, but are receiving MUCH! It gives a whole new perspective to the spirit of Christmas. So give. It doesn't even have to cost money. I know you don't have a lot of time--we're only a few days away. But it doesn't have to be much--a bag of groceries left anonymously on the doorstep of someone you think might be in need of not just food, but of Christmas Spirit. Simply saying "Merry Christmas" to everyone you come in contact with. Simply walking around with a pleasant smile on your face, or dangling jingle bells from your earrings (I did that at the grocery store last week--I was amazed at how many people I encouraged to smile just with those silly bells!). Or you could go so far as to do a full-fledged sub-for-Santa. It's like this: I believe that God works miracles through people like you and me who get up off our rear ends and DO something for someone else. That's how he answers prayers, by sending someone to help us, by whispering in someone's ear, "You ought to call your friend so-and-so." Or, "That little old lady could use help crossing the street." And when we act upon these quiet promptings we not only bless the lives of others, we bless ourselves as well.

So forget about who's giving what to whom and how much it costs. Just give and receive gratefully. Otherwise you're buying right in to the gluttony of it.

Feel like you're in Religion 101 yet?

Anyway, even if you don't believe in God, it's been scientifically proven that doing good for others increases endorphins. So what do you have to lose?

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited December 21, 2004).]

dpatridge
Member # 2208

so the 5th one is going to be a grecian myth? hmm... how do the people here feel about epic poetry? it's been a few years since the first and last time i wrote one.
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Yup. Grecian myth it is.

I'll post the next challenge sometime next week, with links to the original story.

And a reminder to yanos who has volunteered to find a story for February, and Keeley who has volunteered for March. You guys can send me the weblinks to the stories you choose ANY TIME. Either by direct email or posting them in this thread. I already have a file for bookmarking Challenge links.

Oh, and by the way:

TIME IS ALMOST UP! ALL DECEMBER CHALLENGE ENTRIES DUE BY MIDNIGHT EST TONIGHT!!!

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh. Much Grecian myth is dark and horrible. I may have to try this one.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.