Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » I Need Help Finding a Type of Story...

Author Topic: I Need Help Finding a Type of Story...
AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm whipping together an article on writing, using the idea (as explained by John Vorhaus in his book, "The Comic Toolbox") that the main character has two goals in a story: his "outer need," which is his initial goal, and his "inner need," which is a more important/ethical goal he gains during the course of the story.

There are plenty of stories where the main character gets both his "outer" and "inner need." For instance, in the movie "Tootsie," Duston Hoffman gets the girl and revives/saves his acting career.

There are plenty of tragedies where the main character loses both his "outer" and "inner need," too. Mr. Smith in "Nineteen Eighty-Four" gets completely squashed by the State. Elric, in Moorcock's Elric Saga, gets devoured by his own evil sword.

I can even think of stories where the main character gets his "outer need" but not his "inner need." Paul Atriedes in "Dune" defeats Baron Harkonnen and takes over the entire galactic empire. But he is unable to prevent the galactic jihad he foresees in the future caused by his actions--at least for another two novels or so.

But I can't find any famous stories that illustrate the fourth possibility: where the main character gets his "inner need" but loses his "outer need," his initial goal in the story. I would think there are some romances that have this, where the guy gives up everything for the girl, but for the life of me, I can't think of one.

So, can anyone think of a story where the hero fails in his initial goal/quest/desire, but ends up with something else that the hero finds fully satisfying? Or does this type of story simply not exist?

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I understand this "inner need/outer" need exactly, but I'll give it a shot.

How about "The Headless Horseman of Sleepy Hollow."

The outer need is the girl, the inner need is his life. He keeps his life (inner need) by running away, but loses the girl (outer need).

Or is that backwards for some reason?

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if this works, but what about the movie Somersby. Richard Gere's character wants to start a new life for himself (outer goal) while learning to do the right thing (inner goal). But at the end of the movie he is faced with a choice: in order to do the right thing, he must give up his new life. He chooses to do the right thing.
Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
Where you looking specifically for a fiction story? If not, how about Apollo 13? They "lost the moon", but regained the country's attention to the space program through thier trevails and amazing tale of survival and teamwork. The movie was based on the book titled "Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13" by Jim Lovell (the commander for the mission)

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
For Whom the Bell Tolls
The Old Man and the Sea
Rocky I
The Replacements

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Meet me in Las Vegas starring Dan Dailey and Cyd Charisse.
Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
The Bad News Bears
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
"Crime and Punishment"

He ends up in prison, but finds redemption.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tess
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Tess   Email Tess         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have an example for you off the top of my head, but it's funny you should mention this. It's the topic of discussion I tried to get going in another online forum. The idea sprang from the use of the term "the greater good."

When talking about what drives a character, you can look at he inner motives, the ones based on the character's emotions and who he is as a person (character flaws), and the motives more dependent on his reaction to plot events. The inner motives are more personal. The character that satisfies only his inner need comes across as more selfish, which is where the concept of the greater good comes in. A character needs to accomplish more than solely personal, selfish goals in order to be likable. Is this partly the reason why you're having trouble finding examples?

I hope I'm not being to abstract. I'm not sure what John Vorhaus intended when he used the terms.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Tale of Two Cities. Sidney Carton attains his inner goal of redemption but loses the outer goal, his life. And I think Crime and Punishment, already mentioned, is a perfect example as well.

Ender's Game works too if you think about it. Ender defeats the Buggers but does the thing he most hates and fears about himself (acts like Peter).

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

Wouldn't Ender's Game be the reverse of what Andrew is looking for?
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah. Sorry.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
All goals are ultimately selfish. It is just that some are more accpetable than others.

Frodo in Lord of the Rings satisfied his outer need but failed to find resolution for his inner need. Aragorn satisifed both his inner and outer need - lucky man.

Shrek is an example of inner need winning. The princess gives up her dreams of marrying a handsome prince to marry someone she loves.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
"Hamlet" would be an example of the fourth type. Hamlet gains his inner need--revenge against his uncle to avenge his father--and loses ALL outer needs--his country, his love, his life.
Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

I would disagree about Shakespearean tragedy generally, and Hamlet in particular. I don't think they readily fit into this paradigm. What makes a story like Hamlet tragic is that the main character is confused or mistaken about his inner need.
AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the great suggestions. I knew I could count on you guys. Sommersby and The Old Man and the Sea would definitely fit, I think. Looks like most of the others would, too (although I have my doubts about Hamlet). And, come to think of it, Casablanca would be a good fit, too. If winning Ingrid Bergman ain't an "outer need," I don't know what is.

And it looks like I started a good discussion on "inner" and "outer" needs.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to get into a discussion on Shakespeare, but I must disagree with you, J. Hamlet is confused about nothing. He cannot commit himself to forthright, steely action.

However, after more consideration, Hamlet may not be a good example because his desire for vengeance isn't his own, but something impressed upon him by the ghost of his father, so maybe it doesn't really fit the example. The other inner desires he had, such as love for Ophelia, were all destroyed through his inaction to satisfy his father.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with Hamlet is that he can't just forgive his uncle and kill the man, he has to send everyone to hell over it.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

What about HAL 9000? He lost his inner desires in order to satisfy his outer and conflicting mission objectives.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.