Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » I don't really need to know.

Author Topic: I don't really need to know.
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no project involved that requires knowing this. But hey, I'm snoopy, and I figure we're all pretty much guinea pigs for each other anyway.

So, my question is: What single thing will most reliably cause you to feel nostalgic?

Is it perhaps a chocolate cake? An episode of I love Lucy? The smell of perfume or something cooking?

Mine is a horse drawn sleigh ride. What's yours?

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, it would depend on what it was making me nostalgic for.

Certain Christmas songs (there are three kinds, you know? 1--religious, 2--secular, and 3--winter songs that have nothing to do with Christmas but are only sung at Christmas time) make me nostalgic for my childhood.

Bagpipe music makes me nostalgic for my heritage.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think music in some form or another is what is most likely to make me nostalgic for any of the things I get nostalgic about.

Smells are supposed to trigger memories, but I can't think of any at the moment that make me nostalgic.

<shrug>

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
The screams of the dying...

Just kidding.

The scent of dill makes me nostalgic for my grandmother's house, actually.

Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
The smell of rain in summer, and the smell of the desert.
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
djv: You must be from the Middle East?

Myself, anything makes nostalgic. I'm nostalgic to a fault ^^.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
The heft of an eight pound sledgehammer

The smell of chorinated water

Bullfrog symphonies (anyone who has never experienced this should go hang out at night near a small freshwater lake).

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Hearing the song "self-esteem" by the Offspring. German Christmas songs and the smell of the Christmas Market in Germany. Hoagies from Wawa.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
The smell of old paperbook books. Reminds me of the days when books were really good.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tess
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Tess   Email Tess         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny you should post this. A wave of nostalgia caught me off guard just yesterday. For me, the thing that causes this feeling most reliably is an event that highlights how time has influenced the people I care most about. Seems you prompted me to write a piece of flash fiction.

Eric

Yesterday morning I was watching a high school football game, the last one of the season for the freshman team. Our team was undefeated for the season, and the game was close. My son, on the second string offensive line, spent the first three quarters on the sidelines.

You have to understand, I’m not a big football fan. If my son hadn’t been out there, I would rather have watched paint dry than stand outside for over an hour on a chilly New England November morning. After a bad call from the referee, in which our team was cheated out of a fourth down, and a few of the dads harassed the referees, the coach barked “blue line.” My son sprang onto the field.

He assumed the position he’s played for five years, all through his Pop Warner career, since he was 9. He sprinted out, yelled “huddle” in such an aggressive football voice it belonged in the movies, and his team mates closed around him. A tangle of white jerseys and gold helmets fluttered for a few tense seconds, and then broke. Eric jogged towards the opposing team with the ball. He assumed the three point stance that signaled the team’s readiness to start the next play.

And then it hit me, and it wasn’t overly sentimental. My husband felt it at the same time and commented. Five short years ago we laughed at him, the way he yelled “huddle” and tried with all his might to make his high pitched voice sound masculine. I found it both satisfying and a scary, to think of him as a young man.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
The smell of suntan lotion on warm skin.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I never need a cause to feel nostalgic. I constantly wish to return to my homeland, far away, long ago, and much happier than anything I've yet encountered here.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Certain songs will always do it, of course. But what really really does it for me is a cool afternoon when the sun gives everything that golden hue. On those days I long to be a kid again.
Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Overcast days when the clouds are particularly dark and menacing and the smell of rain is in the air.
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
What is patriotism but the love of the food one ate as a child?  ~Lin Yutang

Same with nostalgia for me.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Roy's Big Burger.
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Roy's and add the Plaza Drive-in. What could be better than bugs biting me, while I'm drinking Orange Crush and watching a movie outside?
Seriously - I really miss it.
I'd like to get a DVD of those old intermission commercials.

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Whitney
Member # 2176

- posted      Profile for Whitney   Email Whitney         Edit/Delete Post 
The movies Mame and Star Wars, and the recent rush of toys from the 80s flooding children's toy shelves this year (ie Cabbage Patch Kids, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turles, He-Man, Easy Bake Ovens) are the things that have been making me nostalgic lately.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
The legend of Zelda 2, the origins of my Video game obsession.

Also every time I burn myself it takes me back to my old boy scout days, when sitting too close to the campfire meant something.

But what really brings me back is reading the beginning of My current WIP, what was I thinking back then.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.