Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Meditation:

Author Topic: Meditation:
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the characters in a story of mine is a meditationist. Weird word, but I know not of a better. Anyway, she meditates. What physiological effects does that have on the body? What weird phenomena are possible because of it?

Thanks!

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
See the topic on brain activity.
Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MrClean
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for MrClean           Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of thoughts for you meditationist. Not knowing the genre she lives in some or all of this may be meaningless!
She 'allows' blind people to see through her eyes.
When she meditates, entities from an other universe can see into her universe.
She can heal people by entering their consciousness and assisting their brains to repair what ever is wrong.
She can send her consciousness into anyone anywhere to enable her to 'see' through their eyes. To experience things through them.

MC

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
The main aspect of meditation is relaxation, when your body is relaxed it heals faster. Some claim to have out of body experiences because of their meditation. Others Hallucinate. Sometimes when I meditate I hear things that have been said to me, sometimes in odd orders. Nothing metaphysical more like they do it in Simpsons.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It's "meditator" if you're simply referring to a person in the act of meditation. If you're talking about someone that regularly meditates, then you would specify the particular discipline, "Franciscan", "Zen Buddist", "Yogi" and so forth.

Since one reason to meditate to to achieve control over physiological effects, the effects can vary widely based on what type of meditation is used and for what purpose. You can do a lot of stuff. Some of it is pretty "weird".

Since you're apparently just doing this for flavor, try learning more about a particular meditative discipline (Yoga is always popular) from both skeptical and practicing viewpoints.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
A fairly broad, but interesting article (at least a place to start) on meditation. It lists related links and references.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meditation#Health_applications_and_clinical_studies _of_meditation

Also, I think your use of the word 'meditationist' is just fine if this is something this person does for living--an interesting idea if that's where you're going.

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited November 30, 2004).]

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.