Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Pseudonyms

Author Topic: Pseudonyms
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is the kind that forces people to smile. It doesn't seem to fit with the stories I enjoy writing.

But I'm not sure I want to have a pseudonym. Will I feel like the story is mine if my real name isn't below the title?

Everyone is invited to respond, but I'd especially like to hear from people who have used pseudonyms.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I use my maiden name as my pen name, but since I've used it for 26 of my 27 years of life it farnkly feels more like me than my married name at the moment. I also use it because unlike my married name, which starts with an 'M' and is smack in the middle of browsing whether you start at the front or the back of the alphabet, my maiden name starts with an 'A' and puts me right up front between Adams and Assimov.

There are lots of rationales for using pseudonyms. Mine works for me. I have a sense, though, that if you're not comfortable with a false name then you should not use it. The false name as selected by you should almost feel more like you than your real name, IMO. Take pride in your work and in your name. I don't think that people are going to pick up a book with a certain name and have predisposed expectations based on the name sounding amusing or morbid or antyhing else. The associations come after you're known and they've read enough of your books to see a pattern in the writing.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I have considered using a pseudonym in the past for a few different reasons.

1. I don't really like my name, but I was named for my Grandma and would never legally change my name. Using a pseudonym would be like changing my name without really changing it.

2. Some famous authors write under pseudonyms and well, I want to be famous!

3. There is a certain amount of annonymity in a pseudonym. Again, if I ever become famous, I need a way to hide in the phone book (but my last name is already Smith, so I can't get much more hidden than that now, can I? )

4. Again with the annonymity, I can feel a little freer to write things that I might not if my name appeared on it. Some of the stories I like to write are a little dark and might be thought of as a bit disturbing by members of my family and others who know me. Using a pseudonym means that they don't have to know about or be connected to my writing unless I choose to include them. It's kind of like having a fully cognisant multiple personality

While I haven't used a pseudonym to date, I have published without using my full name. Instead, I use my initials, T.J. Smith.

Historically, it has been difficult and even impossible for women to become published, so many female authors used pseudonyms to hide their sex. While this isn't reaaly a reason anymore, I have considered doing it almost as a way to pay hommage to the tradition of women in writing.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MrClean
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for MrClean           Edit/Delete Post 
We all use them. Take a look at everyones UserName! (Well almost everyone)

MC

[This message has been edited by MrClean (edited November 30, 2004).]

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not think that many readers' reaction to your name will carry over to their actual experince in your world.

But whateva . Feel free to go for the pseudo.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I use one! My real name is... well, never mind.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
If the problem is that you simply think your name's sound is distracting, what can you do to change the connotations without changing the name itself? I had a childhood friend named April May Snow. I think her parents were a bit cruel. Using that example, you could go by A.M. Snow or something that changes the feel of the name. Also if it is something you don't normally go by, people you know still may not recognize it even if it is your real name. I'm contemplating just going by my middle name and married last name, or maybe my first initial, then middle and last names.

(Or there is always that old gag about your prostitute name: if you were a prostitute your name would be your middle name plus the name of the street you grew up on, or the name of a favorite pet. Mine would be Ann Wesley. Since writing can be considered by some people to be a form of prostitution, maybe that is an appropriate choice for me? )

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Chun Ling Arnold
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

Thanks to everyone for all their comments.

quote:
I use my maiden name as my pen name

I really wish I could do that, Christine. My maiden name is the kind that crosses people's eyes. Only one person ever pronounced it right the first time and the only reason that occured was because he had an interest in odd names and he'd gone to school in an area relatively close to the region where my maiden name originated.

I disagree about the name connotation, though. When I see Lemony Snicket, I automatically expect something humorous. L. Snicket, of course, would be a different matter, but Snicket makes me think of snicker and...[shrugs]

quote:
Instead, I use my initials

Good points, RH and autumnmuse, but I especially like that one. I may use it.

Mr. C, Mike, Survivor... you made me smile.

Signed, Liz Fifth East

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
The prostitute comment made me think of something else.

You could try finding out what your name is in a different language and use the translation. For example, the street I grew up on was St. Andrew's Place.

Combined with the French for my first name, I could be Thérèse St. Andrews. Of course the pronounciation of Thérése has always reminded me of 13 in French so I could even be, Treize Ste. André.

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited December 01, 2004).]

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
> We all use them. Take a look at everyones
> UserName! (Well almost everyone)

Good thing you put the caveat in there.

Actually, even though Eric James Stone is my full name, in my non-writing life I generally just go by Eric Stone. Since my normal signature doesn't include the "James," before doing book signings I had to practice a signature with my full name.

So, if you're planning on becoming a famous author using a pseudonym, make sure it's something you can sign easily.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
following that prostitute naming thing, i would be Lehi Brock... now that just sounds weird...

haha, actually i was thinking of going by Oi Aitsu once, or a murdering thereof... hehe, if you know Japanese you'll get the joke contained there... if not, i'll tell you.

"Oi" is a sound, it has no meaning in and of itself, but it is used as a "hey wassup"

"Aitsu" is a slang term for a da**ed person... so we end up with "Hey you da**ed person!"

hehe, i have an odd sense of humor

[This message has been edited by dpatridge (edited December 01, 2004).]

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

Thanks RH and EJS. I hadn't thought of either of those. I especially hadn't considered signing my name over and over. I guess this shows how often I think about fortune and fame.

Funny, dpartridge. If I use a pseudonym, I'm going to try avoiding using anything unpronounceable or even confusing. I went through the first 21 years of my life with a name few could pronounce and I'm not going through it again.

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited December 01, 2004).]

Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a slightly modified version of my real name for my pseudonym. My real last name, Hanson, is a bit boring. Instead, I switched it with my middle name--lending a bit of cadence.

The only reason I could see for not using a pseudonym was vanity, and frankly, I'm kind of over it. Not saying I'm not vain, simply that I'm over it.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
Writers often use pseudonyms as a means to publish outside the genre for which they're well-known, and also as a way to start over from declining or faltering sales. New name, new chance to hit it big.
Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

Rahl22, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. It's not about vanity with me. It's about ownership v. connotation.

If I ever manage to get a book published, and I don't see my name on the cover, I'm not sure I'll feel like I wrote it. And if I don't feel like I wrote it, I'm afraid that I won't fight as hard to market it. After all, it's not really my book. It's written by this fictional person I made up, even though everyone (including myself) might associate my face with the name.

MB, thanks for the info. I seem to recall that Stephen King used the name Richard Bachman when he wasn't sure if people were buying the book for itself or because it was written by Stephen King (that's strictly memory so it's probably wrong). I guess that's another reason to use a pseudonym.

Rahl22
Member # 1411

Hey Keeley, I was really just personalizing on that. I wasn't saying anything about you.

I had the same instinct. Did I really write it if my name isn't on the cover? I think it's a matter of comfort. You'll probably either come to be ok with it, or you won't. That will be your answer.

Keeley
Member # 2088

I wasn't offended. Just confused. Thanks for clarifying, though. I'll keep your comments in mind, along with the others here, while I make my decision.
Rahl22
Member # 1411

I always laugh at myself when I worry about such silly things.

I haven't sold a story. Not one. Yet, I'm completely concerned about my book-signing signature, my pseudonym, which conferences I'll attend as an author, etc..

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
You are more than just a string of letters. When I see my Pseudonym on a book I will see myself. (Mine is a variation of my first name then my Pre-Ellis Island family name and the name of the first Race I created alone.)

Bob the 12th

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
I HAVE USED A PSEUDONUYM -- once. The very first article I had published years ago, I used a pen name. Joseph Anthony, it was. I used it for two reasons. First, because my last name is very, very odd. And second, I'm not fond of my first name.

(By the way, my name is Jeff Vehige.)

I have not used one since. At one time, I thought about using my UserName -- Balthasar -- as a one-name by-line (like Saki). Then I thought about using a name like Simon Balthasar. But when I came around to sending stuff out, I always put my real name on it.

Why? Because I never felt that first article was really mine. I'll never used a pen name again. I'm resolved that if I ever published a novel, on the blurb about me, I'll have, after my last name, in parentheses, how to pronounce it.

(And by the way, you pronounce it VAY-GEE.)

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited December 05, 2004).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Since writing can be considered by some people to be a form of prostitution, maybe that is an appropriate choice for me?

You're getting paid?!!!

I'm doing it for free.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
hey autumnmuse!
you've created a monster with you naming gag.

Look out for books by Buster Redwood.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

Well, I've decided to use my real name for now. I may change my mind later, but for now, my stuff will be published under my married name, with the first and middle name possibly turned into initials.
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
The ever famous Kerry Wayman, here. HMM. That's not bad...

I imagine the main reason I might hide under a pseudonym is the anonymity of which Robyn_Hood spoke.

I went to a conference not long ago. One of the writers there said he'd had to resort to an unlisted phone number. With today's easy access to phone directories around the world, you could be getting calls from crazy fans at all hours of the night and day.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
With today's easy access to phone directories around the world, you could be getting calls from crazy fans at all hours of the night and day.

Hmm, maybe one of those 50 cents to dial it numbers might pay off.

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.