Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Are writers insecure

Author Topic: Are writers insecure
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I have changed this post a little. It was initially a rant but now the question is: Why are writers so insecure?

Is it because writing is such a solitary pursuit?

Many writers that I know are also overweight.
Is there a link?

I am not trying to be impolite, but I am wondering about the whole self-image thing for writers.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited December 09, 2004).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Would you care to be more specific?
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Because what we produce is important to us emotionally. If it wasn't, why are we sweating hours of something which probably won't be published?
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe some coments are so exact that it resolves the issue. It can also be hard to follow them sometimes without restating the same thing in a lesser way.

Or...maybe no one can follow it with anything that would sound half as good, and are afraid to try...

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

I often wonder if people's self esteem naturally crashes by spending such a lot of time alone. Especially when your best friend is a packet of Oreos.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited December 09, 2004).]

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm totally insecure.

.....is that ok?.....

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't you delete the thread? I guess I would have to start a thread and delete it to see if it were possible. While this thread at present is somewhat pointless, I don't see anything that is mod-deletion worthy. To delete, I think you can edit the first post and click the "delete" box.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Writers tend to live a somewhat insecure life, finacially, emotionally, and personally. That doesn't mean that individual writers are "insecure", simply that most writers must deal with insecurity.

Most Americans I know are overweight. I haven't really noticed that being a writer makes any difference.

As for the "whole self-image thing", that is rather a complicated question. Aside from my determination to write, I don't believe there is any part of my "whole self image" that really translates to being something that all writers must believe about themselves (that includes my love of reading, by the way--I don't believe that all writers must love reading as much as I do, nor do I believe the converse).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
<Especially when your best friend is a packet of Oreos.>

I'll have you know my best friend is NOT a packet of Oreos. It a chicken strombolli.

Wait a minute! I ate my best friend!

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why are writers so insecure?

Is it because writing is such a solitary pursuit?

I'm not sure about that. Here's something to consider -- are writers insecure, or do a lot of insecure people like to write? Creating your own world where you can control exactly what happens seems to me a very good way of escaping from insecurity. There are two ways of doing this, and writing is the one that doesn't usually get you locked up in a mental institution.

quote:

Many writers that I know are also overweight.
Is there a link?

Writing is an non-physical activity. Many of us spend time writing that other people might spend jogging, cycling, visiting the gym, etc. It's probably a contributory factor.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Who says insecurity is bad? It could be a virtue. Frankly, I would much rather associate with the insecure then the self-assured.

Who says writers are overweight? Do you mean professional writers? Or amateur? Or both? Orson Scott Card looks skinny enough. Roger Zelanzy looked stick thin in every photo I have seen of him.

And who says being overweight is bad? Perhaps, healthwise. I think modern day culture puts too much emphasis of image. I say, relax, enjoy some food for change.

My wife gets up 5:30 everyday to exercise. She is skinny. Her BMI index is what it is supposed to be. She thinks she is overweight. Nobody can tell her otherwise. I've tried reasoning. I've tried playing with the alarm clock. Who's to blame?

I would think science fiction and fantasy readers and writers would be more adapt at challenging cultural norms.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
My best friend is neither Oreos or Chicken Stromboli. Mine is Hersey kisses and Cheetoes. They just seem to go together so well.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I refer to this book very often, because I find it so valuable. But in her book The Writer's Mentor, Cathleen Rountree says this:

quote:
According to many writers, loneliness was the only constant in their lives as children. For those who as children developed elaborate fantasy lives, it is a natrual extension as an adult to call the imagination home...Perhaps being an outsider is mandatory to the writing life. Lonely children develop powers of observation and an exceptional capacity for empathy that serve them well in later life. And learning to entertain yourself at a young age is a habit that dies hard.

So, taking Ms. Rountree's comments to heart, and reflecting on my own psyche, I would say that it is not that writers are insecure, so much as that there are a certain set of psychological criteria that lend themselves to a person becoming a writer.

I, for one, very much relate to the solitary childhood as the breeding ground for my desire to write.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Same for me. But I think the main motivation is that you want to share your stories, so it's no longer loneliness.
When I was a kid, I used to tell the stories to myself. I used to feel guilty about that. And then I found that you could actually share those stories and that it was called "writing". It was a liberation. I'm not sure whether the main motivation is that I can tell the stories to myself without guilt, or that I need to share them with others.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean insecure in general or just insecure about their writing?

I think anyone will be insecure about their writing because you draw on a lot of personal stuff to create and pour so much time and energy into that action.

Perhaps we're getting back to the adage that a writer believes they are the best and the worst writer at the same time.

(Not sure if this makes a lot of sense - need sleep!)

R

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm insecure but I'm secure in my insecurity. I think we're insecure because writing is a highly personal thing, and yet hopefully anyone can read it and judge you.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

I see Dakota's POV and it applies to me too.

And yes there is an emotional investment in writing unless you are a hack.

Writer's are preoccupied with image. Especially fictionalists.

So are a number of other professions, mostly in creative idustry

Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever another person produces creative work, they put themselves on the line and open themselves up for praise, ridicule, or worse: indifference. Feeling the weight of that risk isn't insecurity--it's bravery. Never submitting for publication--now that's insecurity.
Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
6'1 and 10 stone...Am I overweight? No! Is insecurity the desire to make your writing appeal to others?
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.