Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Computer vs Pen&Paper

Author Topic: Computer vs Pen&Paper
Axi
Member # 2247

- posted      Profile for Axi   Email Axi         Edit/Delete Post 
When I started to take seriously my intention to write (that was 7 or 8 years ago), using a computer and a word processor seemed to me the most apppropiate thing. After a while, I decided to go back to pen and paper, using one notebook for each new story I begin (shamefully I haven`t had to buy too many of them ). The thing that convinced me to change was the fact that in my word processor when I decided against a phrase or a paragraph I just deleted it, losing that forever. Now, in my notebook I keep everything I write, and I have found more than once that things I thought to be useless, after some time become interesting again.

I would like to know (if you feel like telling) what you think about it all and what method suits you best.

(First thread I open... I feel a little nervous )

[This message has been edited by Axi (edited December 14, 2004).]

Posts: 35 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
BOTH! i use both computer and pencil and paper. whatever i happen to have handy at a particular moment.

i usually end up using pencil and paper for random ideas that come to me in odd circumstances, and then i fill things out on a computer. but i ended up doing half my prologue to Searth on paper, and a third of my christmas parody was on paper before i typed it into the computer...

when i first started to write and enjoy doing so, it was always on paper... my teachers insisted that i have paper rough drafts rather than typing things all the time... so i guess old habits die hard, even when they were forced on you.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I like both, but writing on paper is an indulgence for me.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
I do both as well. I draft straight into the computer, because I type a heck of a lot faster than I write, not to mention more legibly. I always edit or revise on a printout, which I keep and label by draft number. Then I enter the changes and begin the cycle again, printing and revising from there (after a while of not looking at it and working on another story) That way, I always have the old version, should I wish to refer back to it or restore something.

Heresy

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I use both because they both have advantages.

Predominantly, I use a computer because writing things out by hand frustrates me. My hand moves too slow. Plus, it makes for easy re-writes and less wasted paper.

However, I've found that transferring a story from paper to fresh paper or a computer document forces me to see problems that I wouldn't have seen otherwise. I can get the equivalent by re-typing a story into a brand new document, but somehow it just isn't the same.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I type my stories on the computer. I print them out to read them. Most stories I critique get printed and the red pen comes along with it. Since spelling is not one of my stronger skills, it is nice to have something tell me that I didn't spell something correctly. I don't care much for the auto correct features, it doesn't help me learn to improve my spelling.

Besides, my handwriting is horrid.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to use paper for my initial thinking - ideas, notes, graphic organizers, research, outlines, character sketches (though I have organizers on the computer, so I can print them out and use them as I write out notes and ideas). I use both plain and lined paper, and am moving in to also using notebooks for this. I'm not sure how that will work, because with loose paper I can shuffle my work around, but I'd have to tear stuff out of a notebook to rearrange, or rewrite.

I rarely do actual story writing anywhere but the computer. My carpal tunnel makes handwriting very painful - I get numb quickly with consistent writing. I write, save, print, edit with a pen on paper (I copy my workshop's notes and edits onto one paper draft), then go back to the computer to rewrite - but save it as a new draft, so I can always go back and see a prior version. I had 11 versions of the first story I sent out - all saved!

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MrClean
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for MrClean           Edit/Delete Post 
I have used both but I prefere the computer just for the sake of speed and reason mentioned about spelling and editing. However when I do a re-write I use the 'track changes' mode in Word, then save that as a new file named (title rev 4) or something like that. I then have the original plus each successive revision with all the changes highlighted by Word. If I want to go back and 'get' something and use it again, it still exists.

One of my favoite things to do though is to set outside in fresh air with a pad of paper and a pen and just write by hand. Some of my best thoughts happen that way.

MC

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm mostly a computer person. I hate retyping from handwritten documents, and I'm in the habit of composing at the computer because it is faster and spell check is my friend. If I start making major revisions to something, I save and date as a new file so I still have the old version.

Sometimes I'll brainstorm a story on paper, or try some openings. Paper also works when I need something different to jar me out of a slump. But its never more than a page or two before I'm back at the keyboard.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Whitney
Member # 2176

- posted      Profile for Whitney   Email Whitney         Edit/Delete Post 
I rarely use pen and paper now-a-days unless it's to make some notes if I'm not at my computer. I just type and think too fast for me not to get frustrated with manual documetation.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Computer. I almost never take handwritten notes of any material that isn't being handwritten by someone else while I'm taking the notes.

I also find reading from a computer screen much easier and faster than reading from paper.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I still have the most written on paper, but that is mainly personal journal stuff.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I snip lots of things out of books and magazines, catalogues and newspapers and shove them into envelopes. An envelope might be named something like :
'The Village Fair' (that is one scene I am currently filling). It is funny, most of the images are oranges, reds and gold. I'm thinking of making it all happen at sunset.

They are mainly photos though.

Sometime I draw maps and diagrams on the envelopes or slip in doodles I have done while on the phone at work or in meetings etc.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited December 14, 2004).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I use both. Whatever is convenient at the time. Although, eventually it all makes it into the computer. Then sometimes I will print it out so I can read it out loud and do my editing on the pages. Then I go back and enter the changes into the computer.

That isn't how it happens all the time, but mostly. It works for me, and that is really what matters.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Computer. I only use a pen or pencil when I'm out somewhere and think of something I'm afraid I might forget. I started out writing on an actual typewriter (they didn't even have calculators then) rather than by hand.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
For me I write on anything I can get my hands on. Computer, P&P, Nail and a board, Stick in the mud (that one turned out great till the tide came in.) I prefer Computer, something about looking at all the available letters and the words just pop out.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
I have gone from computer to pen & paper and back again to computer. I wanted to immerse myself in the pure physicality of paper and pen and it indeed it had an almost magical quality to it. At first I thought perhaps the slowness of writing on paper forced me to more clearly think out what I wrote and that my writing was better for it, but it wasn't so. When I went back to writing on the screen, I was just as careful in choosing my words but could arrange with greater ease. It's not about writing faster, but better.
Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.