Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The best way to introduce characters

Author Topic: The best way to introduce characters
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a natural aversion to just naming my characters in the first opening lines. I like to introduce them thru dialog. But this never seems to work well. What are some really good ways of introducing charcters? Is there way to do so which is almost invisble to the reader?
Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Use the POV character's name in the first line, which should almost never be a line of dialogue. Use the name of any other character known to the POV character in the first line that mentiones that character. Use the name of any character not known to the POV character as soon as the POV character learns the name of that character.

Use...the...character's...name.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, rats. What if you are in first person? I just checked, and you get love interest's name on line 13 and the POV on line 14. I guess I can post it in F&F.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
What if you wanted to begin by viewing the whole scene from say a bird's eye view and then move into a character's point of view. Sort of like zooming on a camera.

Am I making sense?

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
The best way to introduce a character is clearly established in Aristotle's third treatise. It is obvious that unless you read that immediately, you will have no luck whatsoever in writing a good piece of fiction.

I'm sorry, but that is how the world is. After all, there is only one way to introduce characters that is any good -- and Artistole is the one who teaches it.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
phanto, i must admit i am completely lost on this, can you post me up a link to what you are talking about, or quote it for me?

and to survivor: in my short story for the christmas rewrite challenge i introduced my POV character and his brother both in the same line, the eighth, POV character first, brother the very next word. is this disobedient to your rather strict sounding rules?

in Searth's prologue, i introduce the POV character in the eleventh line, and never do bother naming his friend, or my narrator, my narrator for the inner story that is... hehe.
how's that for breaking the rules?

i'm sorry, but i just cannot see where naming is so important as to be done FIRST LINE! readers can be patient, i certainly am, just so i get the name for my main character by the second page, i consider it a success

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What if you wanted to begin by viewing the whole scene from say a bird's eye view and then move into a character's point of view. Sort of like zooming on a camera.

I did exactly this in a WIP (City of Silver) and it confused the h3ll out of everybody.

Maybe you can do it better.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Fine, fine. I'm not a patient reader, I suppose. But if you ask such a basic question, then expect a basic answer. If you know enough to be able to pull this off without following the rules, then you probably don't need to ask the question, do you?

If you have basic questions about writing, there are a number of excellent articles on writing at the SFWA.org site. When to withhold the character's name is one of those questions. I just posted the link on another thread, or you can read some of the articles and find the answer for yourself.

As for introducing the POV character's name and his brother's name without any intervening words, I would have to say that probably breaks a few rules of grammer at least. Even if you meant something other than what you actually ended up saying (probably because you don't pay enough attention to grammer), anyone that "just cannot see where naming is so important" needs to read a lot of articles written by accomplished writers who have taken the time to lend their guidance to relatively less accomplished writers.

Go, read, learn.

dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
oh, well, it was his brother talking to him, the only thing that goes in between the two names is a set of quotes basically, and probably some other mundane punctuation of some sort. i would have to look to be sure, but i think i posted it up on Frags
Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Do you mean something like:

quote:
"Hand me that rock, Karl." Gunter said with outstretched hand.

Or something like:

quote:
...looked over at Gunter.

"Karl, what are you looking at now?"

Just being curious. It doesn't really matter. If you waited till the eighth line to give anyone's name, then I probably either nitted you on it or I ignored your post.

Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it depends on which point of view you use. If you're using first person, you've already named your main character with the pronoun "I" unless you stray from that perspective in the first sentence.

It seems what most people are referring to here is third person, where you definitely want to name the POV character in the first sentence. That way, your audience has a chance to connect immediately with that character.

But I see no reason to name the POV character, even within the first few pages, if you're writing in first person.

Just my opinion.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't read all the posts. Apologies if I'm being redundant. You said:
quote:

That's fine, but you would likely want to be well above the scene, basically describing scenery at first. A more omniscient couple of paragraphs. Then you would zoom in on the POV character and take it from his POV from that point. BUT, you would still need to introduce him--and there isn't much better way to introduce a character and make the reader feel connected to him than to give the reader his name--as soon as you zoom in to his POV.

A very simplistic example:

The sky was blue but the wind biting cold. Snow clung to the far-off mountains, threatening the same for the valley before long.
JB pulled his cloak more tightly around his shoulders and ... blah,blah,blah.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read stories that start from a naration pov and moved into the character. I have even read that you can get away with this "introduction" concept as long as it doesn't go past a couple paragraphs.

I think that as long as what you are introducing is interesting enough it should work.

Any character should be introduced by name early on. Even in first person you can use "I, John Doe, walked down the street." this is acceptable since the reader has an interest in who they are reading about. In 3rd person just start with the name where you would have placed a he/she pronoun. If there is a definite reason for holding off on naming the character, you would just have to experiment. See what readers think of the delay. Mystery in the beginning isn't bad, but the reader needs to be comfortable with the purpose behind it. You don't want the reader to feel you are keeping it from them because you can.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Actually, with first person I usually go farther and suggest that the very first line explain who the narrator is and the motive for writing the narrative.

For a narrator who is not a participent in the story, the rules are somewhat different, more like the rules for being a stand-up comedian. You don't have to introduce yourself, you just have to convince the audience that you can make the story interesting, no matter what it's actually about. If you use a narrator, then you are judged almost entirely on your voice and the standard is very high.

Corpsegrinder
Member # 2251

- posted      Profile for Corpsegrinder   Email Corpsegrinder         Edit/Delete Post 
"After all, there is only one way to introduce characters that is any good -- and Artistole is the one who teaches it."

...and that would be what? I'm on the edge of my seat, and am too lazy to go find out for myself.

Posts: 104 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid you're just going to have to get over your aversion--Survivor's absolutely right.
Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Use the Character's Name. There's a reason that the first thing you do when you meet someone is introduce yourself. It gives them a hook to hang thier thoughts on. Your characters are no different. And it's simpler. When you have all male characters in a scene, the word 'he' doesn't mean anything, because the reader has no idea who you're talking about. For simplicity and clarity's sake, Use The Character's NAME.

I also get really annoyed with bird's eye veiw fly-overs. It's kind of a cheap way to Introduce a setting. It's always more interesting to travel wiht a character you know as he interacts with his surroundings than it is to fly over and look at it from above. I want to know who I'm dealing with, and what's going on and WHY I should care within a paragraph. After that, I'm gone.

Ni!

Posts: 177 | Registered: Mar 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
"It's always more interesting to travel with a character you know as he interacts with his surroundings than it is to fly over and look at it from above."

Let's hold off on the sweeping generalizations, shall we? Always is a pretty strong word. Let's say "often."

Whichever way you write in a more interesting way is more interesting. Go with whichever way suits your particular story when YOU write it.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, that's what narrators are for. Narrators never need a name, as long as you only use one per story.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.