Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Story Topics

Author Topic: Story Topics
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
So, do you think travel disasters are cliche as a source of writing info?

Since I am dealing with such (while, after numerous problems and only due to my initiative, Northwest Airlines did manage to fly us in the vicinity of my sister's place before Christmas, but causing the loss of two days and more issues that I can recount), I am wondering - I really need an outlet for my upset, but maybe this is too "done" to be useful.

Put it this way... it is 1:15am Christmas morning, and NWA has no update on our LOST LUGGAGE - which of course had ALL the gifts we bought for my toddler twins, my sister's four kids, my father who flew from Hawaii to Dubuque because I wanted my kids to play with their cousins and meet the newest one (only 4 mos old, and my sister's first boy!).

Not to mention having no clothes, no toiletries, no diapers... having to go buy stuff (the site does say they may authorize money for necessities, but does not say how, and of course no one is answering any phones). And shopping on Christmas Eve is just SO much fun! NOT!

Ok, had to vent, but I am devastated - all the stocking stuffers, the Santa gifts... all gone and they certainly won't be here before the kids awake. My dad did some stuff, and being with family is the best gift we could have, but I did some personal stuff that took work to get ready - I was so looking forward to it.

It sounds stupid, but my daughter asked for a jump rope, and I got her a really cool one, and could not replace it today. It would have gone in her stocking.

Anyway, I hope everyone is having a good holiday, whatever you celebrate, or are at least staying comfortable in the weather (I don't actually believe in temps that are in the negative numbers - why would anyone live anywhere so COLD???).

Fodder for a story, I hope...

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, I don't think the world needs more National Lampoons. But another Meet the Parents is ok.

What I mean is that travel problems are fine if they're only in a small portion of the story (Greg getting his luggage lost, and then the "bomb" scene) instead of the whole thing.

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you write a story about the traveler who had no difficulty whatsoever during his travel, but saw those who did, and was insanely jealous of them for their involvement in something larger than his humdrum life?

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything that actually happens to you personally is the best possible source of fresh story material, it doesn't matter how many other people have already written about having the same things happen to them.

I italicized "actually" for a reason, since things that you imagine happening to you do not count, and are almost always cliches.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like excellent story foder for me. Travel nightmares are, well, nightmares, and most people can relate very easily. And if you are worried that the travel story is to cliche, mix it up with something else so that's just part of the story.
Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the ideas... it is day 3 with no luggage, and the person who was supposed to call back between 2 and 3pm didn't.

I wanted to go while the twins were napping - given the lack of car seats. So now I'll run out for diapers and stuff, and hope the person calls the cell phone.

Hmm - shortness of time really IS good for tension-building.

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I do hope you get your stuff. I haven't experienced that problem, so I can't say I know how bad it is. Sounds horrid though.

I personally wouldn't write a story on that. I know it is a bad situation, but as a primary plot...anyways, I've tried some stories based on more or less real experiences. Never worked well for me. Remember that I'm talking about me, not you, so it maybe something that would be good for you to write about.

Now, I do think that the experience could be added to other stories. If it is warped and twisted into the context of another story, it could provide some added problems for characters. The experience would let you add that part with good believability...but your story would not relly on that as a foundation for the whole story. Any bad experience can be adapted and added to a story.

Just my thoughts.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second LDS on the contention that real-life events usually aren't dramatic enough to serve as the main source of your plot.

But this is a pretty dramatic event. You're all happily getting ready to spend an important holiday with your loved ones when suddenly the NWA takes your Christmas and basically throws it into the abyss.

Just don't let Jim Carrey star in the movie version, okay?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember that thread I started when I was trapped in Houston? I also wrote a story about a guy on an airplane who was abducted by a UFO during the same delay. There's plenty of fodder yet untapped. Write away--if nothing else, you'll fee better afterwards.

Has your stuff turned up yet?

(PS I had a fifteen hour delay on my return from Reykjavik. That seems like a breeze compared to what you must have gone through.)

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited December 28, 2004).]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.