Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Shifting from First to Third (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Shifting from First to Third
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I know, we've discussing this before. And the concensus was, it's OK.

I want to quote two who have read the first two chapters of my WIP, I don't think they frequent this site, and if they are I hope they don't mind me quoting them.

Person 1:
"Overall I'd say that your style of writing is good enough, but, for me, your method of development isn't that attractive, that is, shifting from the first person of chapter 1 to the third person of chapter 2. I know that some professional writers choose that route, but I've a feeling that a writer breaking in would be expected to be more conventional, either choosing the first or third person."

Person 2:
"The transition in points-of-view and tenses between chapters is quite jolting, I’m afraid. Okay, jolting for me, anyway. My mind has been conditioned against this sort of change. If things start out first person, they ought to stay first person, I’ve been led to believe. Going suddenly from first to third really tips the apple cart and sets fruit a rolling. Now, I’ve read books
where different chapters center on different characters’ first person points-of-view (“Brothers” by Ben Bova, for instance). Maybe you could do that. One chapter could be from the good guy’s eyes, the next from the bad guy’s, that sort of thing."

Both claim to have some publications under thier belt, and if so therefore would have the credentials.

So, is shifting back and forth between first and third, a bad idea?

Should I keep it all in third? First person really gets into the mind of the progagonist, the way that third person limited can't.

Should I keep it all in first, changing back and forth between POV characters? This sounds to confusing.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If you start in first person, then the shift to third person shouldn't "reject" the first person of the beginning.

Consider an old-fashioned narrator. In a prologue or something of that nature, the fictional author of the work gives an introduction and context for the telling of the story. Then the story itself is told in third person, since the narrator is never part of events, and thus is not present in the story proper.

Now consider a fundamentally different situation. You start with a first person character POV in your opening, then in later chapters this person is referred to in the third person. Can you see the difference? Experienced readers and most competent editors can, and from the comments of your critics I think that they do as well.

But I could be wrong. Even so, the fact that you didn't clarify which you were doing tends to indicate that you haven't thought enough about the critical difference between these two forms of "Shifting from First to Third."

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
The later, shifting back and forth.

The first person POV has been reserved for the protagonist, an average guy caught in the middle of forces beyond his control and knowledge.

Third person chapters were for the other POV characters, the antagonists and other movers of the story.

I had figured it was OK, as long as I didn't mix first and third in a single chapter.

First person has a certain closeness that even third person limited cannot have. I lose
his narritive voice if I go to third person for his character.

But if I stick to first person only, there are things the reader would never know. For instance, he's apprehended by two "policemen". Only they take him out far out into the countryside, through the woods, to a dilapidated building. They comment why there peer is nowhere to be found, who was left guarding it. The protagonist flees and they follow. In time, the two are killed, not by the protagonist, but by thier antagonists.
But behind the scenes there is much going on.
The protagonist unwittingly lead the antagonists back to the building, and the results are very disastrous.

The protagonist never knows or understands, and at the end up blames himself.

So it seems the choice is, either lose that closer narritive voice, or leave the readers in the same confused state the protagonist is in.

Survivor
Member # 213

Okay, see, that's your problem. A first person narrator can tell a part of the story in third person, but should not do so when he is one of the actors and cannot do so when it is action specifically unknown to his character.

I believe I made this distinction in the other thread, but problably I didn't make it very clear.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

So, it's not a good idea to have a first person narrator relate his own story, while interweaving it with chapters having a third person limited narration?
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, if you have several someones available to help out, try having them read what you've written, with each one taking a separate POV. Listen closely and see if it makes sense, keeping in mind that reading aloud is more like theatre than reading silently.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Mike,

My brain is on fry mode. Can you rephrase?

wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
First person really gets into the mind of the progagonist, the way that third person limited can't.

This a popular misconception in my opinion.

quote:
First person has a certain closeness that even third person limited cannot have. I lose his narritive voice if I go to third person for his character.

Why? In a 3rd person narrative, your narrative voice can have the same personality, and just as much of it, as in 1st person. Just because you're not saying "I", it doesn't mean the narrative isn't filtered through your character's consciousness. In fact, in 3rd-person limited done well, the narrative needs to be filtered through the character's consciousness. It's the whole point of 3PL. The narrator is not really some unnamed third person telling the story, but the character's mind, if that makes any sense. You're basically inside his head, telling what he thinks, feels, and perceives.

My question would be, why do you want to do the POV switch. I'm a big advocate of doing whatever you want with your story, and damn all rules that say you can't, but there needs to be a reason. The POV switch will cause some confusion. If you do it masterfully and artfully, you can minimize the confusion, but I don't think you will be able to eliminate it completely. I haven't really heard you say why you've decided to do this switch. Is your reason worth the confusion it will cause?

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
Problem with 1st person is that if it is a high-stakes situation, you lose some of the tension.
I mean, obviously if the character is telling thier story, in past tense, then they survived the whole ordeal.

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

<You're basically inside his head, telling what he thinks, feels, and perceives.>

I agree with that.

<In a 3rd person narrative, your narrative voice can have the same personality,
and just as much of it, as in 1st person.>

There's still a certain something that is lost. For instance here's the intro as it is now:

Once, in my know-it-all youth, I declared that individuals own their fate. Grandpa agreed up to a point. A few, he said, are marked from the very start. And for those, Murphy’s Law wears iron boots. I had no idea what he meant until the day of his funeral, when the boots came a kicking...

Then if I made it 3PL:
Once, in Scott's know-it-all youth, he declared that individuals own their fate.
His grandfather agreed up to a point. A few, Grandpa said, are marked from the very start. And for those, Murphy’s Law wears iron boots. Scott had no idea what Grandpa meant until the day of the funeral, when the boots came a kicking...

Replacing prounouns isn't enough. I know, probably some would think it sounded hokey before, but I'm sure many would agree it sounds even worse in 3PL.

<I haven't really heard you say why you've decided to do this switch.>

I wanted to have a 1P protagonist. I wanted other POV characters too, but in 3PL. I guess at the time I thought, why not?

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
> Why? In a 3rd person narrative, your
> narrative voice can have the same
> personality, and just as much of it, as in
> 1st person.

Yes, but it separates the character from the narrative voice to some extent. So, for example, you might use the humor of the first-person narrative voice to build sympathy for a character who is otherwise relatively unsympathetic.

Another reason for using a first person's voice is to allow exaggeration, distortion, or outright lying in the narration. A third person narrator must add caveats to such things (or else the reader will end up distrusting the author.)

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

Sounds like you're trying to have your cake and eat it too. When you choose 1st person POV, there are certain limitations. If you can't tell the story without the limitations, 1st person probably isn't the best choice.
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

<When you choose 1st person POV, there are certain limitations.>

Why should that be? What if there were two books, same basic timeline, one in 1st person, the other in 3rd? Why not interleave those stories together?

wetwilly
Member # 1818

The limitations of 1st-person stem from the nature of 1st person. For example, you can't report on what's happening in anybody else's head, only what the POV character thinks might be going on in another person's head. You can't report on anything happening somewhere where the POV character is not (unless he finds out about it indirectly). I can't say your story doesn't work because I've never read it, but I'm against the idea of mixing POVs like you're saying.
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read lots of books that do this shift and do it successfully. Is it possible that the problem with your book is with the shift itself?

All of the examples that I can think of which shift from 1st to 3rd do so with really obvious signposting. Chapter 1 might say, "From the diaries of..." Chapter 2 might say, "Taken from manuscript X" or something similar.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah...but that requires building a series of "frames" and hanging them all in a "gallery", meaning that you have an implied or explicit narrator/fictional author.

It's like ww says, there are limitations imposed by the very nature of what you're trying to do. Think of it as the line between comedy and tragedy. There are devices that you use in comedy that you simply cannot use effectively in tragedy, and vice versa. This isn't because some authority has made an arbitrary rule against it, it is because tragedy and comedy strive for fundamentally different reactions in the audience.

You can never get away from the fact that the evolution of first person fiction comes from an actual effort to delude the audience into believing that the story is true. Of course, in the modern form we put a note right at the front of the story saying that it isn't true and nobody is expected to actually believe it, yet the form is chosen for it's ability to convincingly create the illusion, and the reader will be affected by the depth and integrity of the illusion.

So any break in the illusion isn't just a departure from the form, it ruins the first person segments for the audience. Think for a moment about comedy that uses violation of the "fourth wall" to direct jokes at the audience in various ways. Now imagine trying to pull that narrative technique off in a serious drama. You see? It can be done, it has been done, and done very well. But it has to be done with great imagination and skill, or it simply fails.

If you do not understand the difficulties involved in what you're attempting, then you are not ready to overcome them.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Interesting points.

As what I have now (not including the first draft):

(Chapter 1) First Person. Protagonist. Main character: Scott Landon.

(Chapter 2) Third person limited. Antagonist Character: Pendaran (the one manipulating Scott Landon)

(Chapter 3) First person. Protagonist. Main character: Scott Landon. Immediate aftermatch of said manipulation.

(Chapter 4) Third person limited. Character: Abillus. Both acting as a protagonist and a Antagonist. Monitors Scott Landon and looks into what went on between Scott and Pendaran.

(Chapter 5) First person. Protagonist. Main character: Scott Landon. A week later. Pendaran abducts Scott.

(Chapter 6): Third person limited. Character: Abillus. On personal leave, buys gun to kill brother-in-law.

(Chapter 7): Third person limited. Character: Pendaran. Since Scott does not remember what happens during the course of the chapter, it is from Pendaran's POV.

I had planned to rework first draft chapters this way:

(Chapter 8) First person. Protagonist. Main character: Scott Landon.

(Chapter 9) First person. Protagonist. Main character: Scott Landon.

(Chapter 10) Third person limited. Abillus. Kills brother-in-law while his brother-in-law's partners are going to aprehend Scott.

(Chapter 11) First person. Protagonist. Main character: Scott Landon. Scott is aprehended.

(Chapter 12) First person. Protagonist. Main character: Scott Landon. Scott escapes.

(Chapter 13) Third person limited. Abillus. Has a chance to aprehended Scott, but not without revealing his crime, and so does not act.

(Chapter 14) First person. Protagonist. Main character: Scott Landon. Further adventures on the run.

For the second draft, I have not planned out past 14, though I except the story will follow the same plot as the first draft.

But now it looks like I either need to stick to first person, and lose what's happening with Pendaran and Abillus. Or do it all in third person limited and lose his direct voice.

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Before you lose the switching voices go read "The Falcon at the Portal: An Amelia Peabody Mystery" by Elizabeth Peters.

She uses the form you are talking about and the book could not exist if she did not.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Interesting thoughts from a third critique, which echos what the others said. But it echos also what I said about loosing something by switching to 3PL.

<I'm not so sure about mixing first and third person in a novel. Would the story work just as well if the whole thing was in third person? You might loose some of the "down home" feel of the first chapter if it was told in third person, but it would be a more straightforward read.>

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Marion Zimmer Bradley used an alternating 1st person POV and 3rd person POV approach in her Darkover novels about Regis Hastur and Lew Alton. (I can give you titles if you want, but I'll have to go look them up first.)

I don't really know why she did them that way, but I suspect is was because she felt closer to Lew Alton (who was the 1st person POV) than she did to Regis Hastur (whose chapters were told in 3rd person POV). Either that, or she wanted the reader to feel closer to Lew. <shrug>

It was interesting to read (as a writer) and it didn't bother me as a reader, and so far as I know, it worked just fine for her many fans.

The way she did it was to have separate chapters for Lew and Regis, and to alternate them. Also, most of the time in the novels, Lew and Regis were apart from each other and pursuing different, if simultaneous, goals.

If you carefully study examples of how other writers have successfully done this (or anything else you want to do), you should be able to learn the techniques and emulate them.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Let me get something straight here. Is this account written by Scott after he has learned the entire story behind what Pendaran and Abillus were doing and why?

And if so, is the third person narrator of the Abillus and Pendaran segments compatable with being Scott?

If the answer to these questions is yes, then you can do this. Then it resembles a detective story much more, where the detective ends up knowing everything that happened and can tell the whole story.

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Survivor, there can be an invisible 'compiler' who puts these accounts together. The first person narrator does not have to be the same person who writes the third person accounts.
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

<Is this account written by Scott after he has learned the entire story behind what Pendaran and Abillus were doing and why?>

No, he never learns everything they do. In the rough draft, Abillus takes his secret (killing his BIL) to the grave.

Also, Scott dies, but his memories are perfectly recorded in something called the Memory Tree. His memories can be accessed by one of the 'good' guys.

Too, I was thinking he might have an existance as a split personality in the mind of the Chief antagonist, and he'd 'haunt' the antagonist in his dreams.

But I don't think either scenerio would be addressed in the WIP.

<And if so, is the third person narrator of the Abillus and Pendaran segments compatable with being Scott?>

I pictured Pendaran and Abillus being thier own 3P narrator.

Survivor
Member # 213

The compiler can be invisible, but probably should not be. "You're just supposed to assume I went to the effort of putting that in the story" doesn't cut it as a defense of any text.

Anyway, as I already said in the Frag and Feed thread, the memory tree thing is an interesting conceit (though I think it needs a better name). I'm not sure why you bothered inventing it if it won't be part of your WIP, nor does the idea of Scott's POV being the guilty conscience of the bad guy make a lot of sense to me. On the other hand, Survivor has no idea what Chris means by Pendaran and Abillus being their own 3P narrators, but he's already cringing at the idea.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

<I'm not sure why you bothered inventing it if it won't be part of your WIP>
It will be, but not in reference to him.

<Pendaran and Abillus being their own 3P narrators, but he's already cringing at the idea>
Since it's 3PL, the stories stems from them, is told through thier actions, observations, and thoughts, and thus has thier internal voice.

Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to have been gone so long--I moved and didn't get my DSL going until today.

Chris, who's telling the entire story? Who assembled the alternating POV accounts, and for what purpose? In other words, what is the reason the story exists in the first place?

We can see that Scott may simply want to tell his fantastic tale, as would anyone who experiences the extraordinary, but who is the force behind the third person sections? And how does this person (or persons) relate to Scott's first person sections? If you cannot satisfactorily answer that, then you've got a problem.

If Scott has no knowledge of events told in the third person sections, then unless there's another person actually telling the tale, there's no believable reason behind why the third person parts are there. Who put them there, if not Scott?

Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

I would think an omniscient compiler, not to be confused with omniscient third person, could encompass both first and third person limited.

There are at least two superhuman beings, Hypersentients in the milieu. They are in the rough draft, but I'm editing out thier involvement because I think it was too akin to a Deus Ex Machina.

They could easliy be the compilers of the story, plucking the stories out the minds of the characters as they see fit.

I need to check out the Darkover novels. Evidently in them, more than one person tells thier tale.

HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
If you want a good example of shifting first person POV try "A Game of Thrones", "A Clash of Kings" and "A Storm of Swords" by George RR Martin. Each chapter is a different POV (he uses around 7-8 characters) and he shifts between the differing POV's at the chapter breaks. I did not find it confusing in the least.

One of the dangers of doing this though is that often a reader will become more attached to certain characters and find themselves trudging through a POV chapter of a character they don't care as much about.

Martin avoids this by having every character interesting enough that you enjoy reading there piece.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

You can have a narrator or compiler or whatever you want to call it, but this character should be apparent from your text.

Also, unless you mean that Pendaran and Abillus recorded their own stories in third person, don't call them their own 3P narrators. In a third person narrative, the characters referred to in third person are explicitly not the narrator. If it turns out that one of them is the narrator, then the narrator has been "shading the truth" during the entire story.

If you have a compiler, then that character need not be omniscient, the compiler need only have access to the primary accounts of the POV characters. Usually, each account would be in first person.

But let's get away from anything that stinks of being a rule. Ask yourself (if you haven't already, and if you have, then I'm the one asking this), "What is the point of using these different POV's in this fashion?"

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

<"What is the point of using these different POV's in this fashion?">

The protagonist has a more effective voice in first than in third, yet he is not omniscient.

cicerocat
Member # 2138

- posted      Profile for cicerocat   Email cicerocat         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I'm doing something similar in one of my nips (novels in progress). I suggest completing it as it is, and then see if you can't get some Wise Readers--people who read a lot of your genre but not write it--to read it. See if they are confused or put off by such pov changes. If it doesn't work out, you can always fix it in the revision.

Cya,
CC

Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

It's would be an interesting if such a site existed where Writers would post, pure readers would critique. But the problem is, what would motivate the readers to read and critique?

At least here for instance, we all try to do it out of a sense of being a good citizen. With Critters, one has to build up credits.

Survivor
Member # 213

quote:
The protagonist has a more effective voice in first than in third, yet he is not omniscient.

This sounds rather non-specific. Why is this character so much more impressive in first person than in third? Is it because he has an inflated opinion of himself or something?

If you think that people won't be eager to read it without some kind of "motivation", then that means that you know there is a serious problem. You want to write a story that people will pay to read, after all.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

This is kind of ironic.

One person said:
"I like the changing point of view as well. I’m assuming it will alternate between first person with Scott and third person the rest of the time. I’ve read a couple of books like set that way."

And no, I didn't prompt them to say it...

Survivor
Member # 213

If you're sure about doing it, then do it. Just don't ask for our input on the matter.
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

I almost don't want to resurrect this topic, knowing it rubbed people the wrong way perhaps...

It just occured to me yesterday and today I pulled it out the bookcase and checked: Illium.

One of the best science fiction books of the decade. Dan Simmons is just brillant. Of course, he hawks a cruel underlying philosophy underneath, but I'll let that slide.

Here is a good case of shifting first to third. The story interweaves three viewpoints:
(1) Hockenberry (told in first person)
(2) Daeman (told in third)
(3) Mahnmut (told in third)

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited January 25, 2005).]

Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
The same can be said for his Endymion books. He even switches from past to present tense.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, I think that pretty clearly falls into the catagory of stupid show-offs experiment. Gibson nearly ruined Pattern Recognition by writing it in present tense (either for no reason whatsoever or possibly to call attention to the fact that it was "gasp: set in the present rather than the future).

I've seen enough of Dan Simmons writing to suspect that I'm not in his audience, his prose is terrible. Whether that has anything to do with the way he switches POV and tense is being a deliberate attempt at something is beyond me. And his use of italics makes me want to join Christine's camp on the subject.

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of deep penetration (see the thread on this). I just don't see how 1st person can be closer than this, since everything's firmly from the POV character's perspective. I use first person sometimes anyway. I do it when it's supposed to be something like a journal or a diary, or once, when I wanted to use unreliable narrator, and it had more punch (to me) if it was in 1st person.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

<I've seen enough of Dan Simmons writing to suspect that I'm not in his audience, his prose is terrible.>

No offense, but not terrible enough to prevent him from being in print. Not terrible enough to pick up a Hugo and a bunch other awards to boot. He's really one of the giants in the field.

I loved the Hyperion series, was let down by the last novel a bit. I was awed by Ilium. I don't think it's showing off by have first person and third person viewpoint characters.

I'm not saying he doesn't show off in other places, like his knowledge over everything from hard science to obsure literary theory. But it doesn't harm the book any.

Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
You ought to read Endymion(I think that's how it's spelled.)which was a sequel series to Hyperion. Really awesome, thought I disagree with the belief systems.
Posts: 331 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

<Really awesome, thought I disagree with the belief systems.>

I did. I count it as part of the same series as Hyperion. I liked it, though the last book was anticlimatic.

Remember, it's fiction!

I remember one person (not here) gave me feedback saying: "many of your readers
will disagree with your character's point of view on things and, understanding that it is also the authors point of view, will be turned off."

Evidently he thought the character's beliefs were my own and that I was trying to convince the readers of some point.

Of course a few writers (Dan Simmons included) sometimes do put in thier belief systems. That sort of stuff comes out in interviews and other forums. But one should start with the assumption at least it's just fiction.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be nice if readers were knowledgeable enough about writing to understand that what the characters believe is not necessarily what the author believes, but that's not always the case.

In fact, the majority of readers are likely to assume that what most writers write is autobiographical in some way--probably because they can't imagine anyone actually being able to make such stuff up. (Why else is the most common question asked of writers, "Where do you get your ideas?")

If you write something that "obviously" couldn't be autobiographical (like science fiction or fantasy), then the number of readers who think it is autobiographical decreases, but there are still those who will infer things about the author from the characters.

When you hear authors talking about "educating the readers" this is one of the things they mean.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

quote:
"many of your readers
will disagree with your character's point of view on things and, understanding that it is also the authors point of view, will be turned off."

If you replace "understanding" with "believing" then this is an entirely valid criticism of a text. Heck, it's still valid if you just leave that middle phrase out altogether. I've never had a problem separating authors from their characters. But you can't separate the characters from the story. If I don't like the hero, then I'm not going to be interested in the story unless I know that the "hero" is actually going to get it in the end.

Really, I spend an enormous amount of time consuming a wide variety of fiction. But I still don't have time for crap that I'm not going to enjoy. It's that simple.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Thanks to one of OSC's writing books, I picked up Wild Seed by Octavia Bulter. I liked that and went on to the sequel, Mind of My Mind, which was actaully written before Wild Seed.

This book is another example of mixing first and third. Doro has his 3PL sections, and Mary's sections are in first person. Sometimes Doro's and Mary's sections are *gasp* in the same chapter.

But just so I don't stir this hornet's nest up too badly, I've been refashioning my WIP all in 3PL...

RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
Not to make things worse but Lian Herne's Ontori trilogy does the same thing mixing 1st and 3rd by alternate chapters

Across a Nightingale Floor
Grass for his pillow
Brilliance of the Moon

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1573223328/104-3341785-7837522

R

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

We've already established that this sort of thing can be done, the problem is that I don't think you've paid much attention to how it's done.
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Well, how's it done?
Survivor
Member # 213

Well you could try reading some of the earlier comments...but I recommend a different approach.

Get this question out of your head. Don't slap a simplistic label on what you've done (or are trying to do) and then look around for successful stories on which you could slap a similar label. That does nothing for your story.

You need your story to work on its own merits, not on the basis of what you can contrive to use as a comparison. Editors don't read the entire text of everything that's submitted, but they do usually read the entire text of anything they might buy before buying it. So it doesn't help your case to say "Butler/King/Mitchner" did what you're doing in this text. The publicist can worry about how to sell your story to people that don't read the entire thing before buying it, after the editor decides that your story is good enough, regardless of what it may superficially resemble.

There is no special "trick" to using multiple POVs with different relationships to an overall narrator of the entire text. You just make sure that it serves the needs of telling the story. That means actually paying attention to the effect that the actual text (rather than a theory about what the text is) has on actual readers that have read the text and are willing to let you know how it affected them.

This is called learning from critiques rather than arguing with them. Remember, the purpose of writing is communication. That means that there is a way to judge success or failure of a work, by whether the techniques used in the text have the desired effects on the reader. Now, I'm not speaking to what the content of your writing should be, that's up to you (and your audience). I'm speaking of things like tense, vocabulary, person, POV, grammer, spelling...all that stuff. In a critique, I may sometimes mention that I don't agree with the core idea communicated by the story or may note that it seems the core ideas are poorly communicated (or weren't there in the first place). That's to give the writer feedback on whether the core ideas that were supposed to be in the text got transmited successfully, if I think that the writer is saying something and it turns out that the writer didn't want to say anything of the sort, that's important. But once I'm clear on what the writer is trying to say in the story, I'll leave it at that. What you want to say as a writer and artist is up to you.

But saying it effectively depends on being willing to accept that your work has no value aside from other people's subjective reactions to the actual text. As a writer, you should always be thinking about how the audience will react to what you've written. And you need to pay attention to differences between the reactions you desired and the reactions your writing actually elicited.

Learning from your readers...that's how you accomplish anything as a writer. What you end up accomplishing is up to you, the means by which you accomplish it must be learned from them.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Ultimately, I think what I learned was the transitions between chapters and sections needed smoothing out.

The POV character can't be packing his car at the end of one chapter, and at work five days later next time we see him, without a jarring effect. A blip of narritive summary has to be employed. I can't take for granted the reader will fill in the blanks all the time.

Of course now, to smooth a transition, Chapter 2 begins with a re-hash of the end of Chapter 1 but from another POV. I was told that is fine for now, but I shouldn't do that too often or it get old.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.