Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Intimate fantasy? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Intimate fantasy?
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you think of any fantasy novels with an intimate plot? By that I mean, a plot that does not involve the fate of the world/kingdom/gods? I'm not coming up with a lot of examples of the sort of intimate plots that one finds in the more, er, literary genres. Think Jane Austen. Do you know what I mean? Can you come up with examples?
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a book called Agyar, by Stephen Brust. It is intimate, a beautiful and horrifying love story about a vampire, in which the word vampire never once, not one single time, appears.
It also has some beautiful poetry, written by the prot.
I highly recommend it as a book, and as an example of excellent building of suspense and mystery. The prose is outstanding as well.

[This message has been edited by Netstorm2k (edited January 03, 2005).]

Posts: 331 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't get the reference to work but I'm sure you're speaking of Agyar (I hope I'm spelling that right). It was an interesting book and I managed to like it even though it was about vampires (which I don't normally get into) and written in first person (which always makes a first strike against any book for me because it's a less comfortable POV). I was fascinated by the fact that it is about a vampire but not once does that word appear. In fact, no one told me that ahead of time and it took me severeal chapters to be sure he was a vampire.

HOWEVER....this is not an intimate book. At least, not in the spirit I believe Mary is speaking of. Vampire romance is, IMO, a sick and twisted subset of fantasy that does not constitute the same thing as true intimacy or real romance. I just found the word I was looking for in my last sentence...fetish. It's a fetish. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, I'm just saying that there are a great many of us out there, particularly women, who could get a lot out of true intimacy in fantasy.

Mary, my first recommendation for anyone looking for such in a fantasy is Mercedes Lackey...at least, most of her Valdemar books contain romance and intimacy as a major subplot often more interesting and certainly more memorable than the main plot. I sometimes wonder if the romance is supposed to be more powerful but often the fate of the world or at least the kingdom rides on the other half of the plot so...

I would like to see more romance like that. I attempted to write a short story in that vein recently myself but it needs a lot of work and maybe even a novel to fit it in.

Anyway....would love to hear other suggestions especially if they have nothing to do with vampirs.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Christine, when MaryRobinette said intimate, I didn't think of romance. I thought of mainstream, like Charles Dickens or Jack London or Mark Twain. Unfortunately no female writers came to mind.

I don't know the fantasy genre very well, but I would say that Twain's A Connecticuict Yankee in King Arthur's Court and The Mysterious Stranger are somewhat intimate fantasy novels. Although now that I think of it, Yankee does involve a kingdom and [/i]Stranger[/i] involves an angel names Satan, so perhaps they are not as intimate as you would like.

How about James Hilton's Lost Horizon? I find it a very intimate fantasy story, though others may not. Does Hilton's hint that Shangri-La might be the only civilization to survive the coming war of the 1940s disqualify it as intimate?

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
Oy Christine, the cut.. aarggh

Oh well, personally, I think some of the vampire romantic type novels, and I say romantic type because there's no romance per se, can be quite intimate. Anne Rice's Vampire chronicles, for example. (Of course, there is that whole homoeroticsm thing going on between creatures without sex drives.)

Of course, this is a personal opinion. Readers taste vary widely, which is why so many of us exist to cater to them.
But, after glancing at your post, you have forced me to do something which I, ahem, did not want to do. I'm getting up from the keyboard, and going into my my library to glance through my titles. I betcha money that I can find three titles, by three different authors, (none of them me) that will make you smile to read.)
Hah. Gauntlet is thrown down.

Okely dokely, neighboreenos...
Title 1: 'When We Were Real' by William Barton.
This is science fiction at it's best, and it is a story with pretty of conflict. But the main story isn't saving the world, or galaxy, etc. It's the relationship between the protagonist, Darius Murphy, who is born immortal, as is most of his priveleged class, and Violet, a genetically-engineered space-pilot.
This is one of the most beautiful, and unusual, love stories that I personally have ever read (even considering that as a kid, if I ran out of library books, I would sift through my mother's romances). The prose is utterly brilliant, making this title one of my most re-read books. (Somewhere around twenty or so) I finally had to put it down, as it was getting memorized, and that's just no fun. I highly recommend it.

Title 2: 'Wolf and Iron' by Gordon Dickson.
This is another at the top of my re-read list. I wore out the pages on my first copy, so when I saw a relatively fresh copy at a local used bookstore, my hand flew to it faster than a rattlesnake.
'Wolf and Iron' is the story of Jeebee Walther, who is making his way across the country after the Collapse of the world economy, his only companion a pure bred wolf, tamed at the hand of a man now dead. Along the way, he falls in with a band of peddlers, and falls in love with the head peddler's (that just sounds funny) daughter. But it is a dangerous world in the remnants of America, and each has to make their own way as best they can. A great read. One of Dickson's best.

Title 3: 'Jumper' by Steven Gould.
This one is more of a young adult, but if you can look past that, there is a great story about a teleport runaway coming to terms with his unusual gift, along with his painful past. While part of the story deals with his relationship with his abusive alcholic father, and the mother that ran off when he was young, (due to the father's penchant for knocking her senseless) there is a sweet romance here, with the interesting shift of the teleport date. (Where do you want to go? Where can we go? Anywhere you want.) It's a great book, and a fun read.

So, haha, there is the gauntlet. I dare thee to take it up, Sers!

Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

I better get some response on this. I had to go into the cold part of the house to look into my stacks to find one of those.

(I like these smilie thingies)

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I did mean intimate as in "small" or "personal" not necessarily romantic. Although, those are high on the list.

The only examples that I've come up with have been either SF or contemporary dark urban fantasy. I was thinking specifically of period fantasy. Doc Brown, you've hit upon my problem. I'll read Lost Horizon, although I suspect that it might be 'disqualified' based on the end of the world aspect.

Now I can come up with lots of SF novels with more intimate plots, but very, very few Fantasy novels. Why is that? What is it about Fantasy that compels writers to raise the stakes that high? Is it a demand of the readers?

(Oh--Netstorm, could I ask you to delete the amazon link? It's not wrapping in my webbrowser and is making the window really wide. While I grant that it's an issue with my browser, I'd still appreciate it. Besides I have a copy of Agyar)

Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

Well, I feel sheepish.

Baaa, Dangit!

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, although often classified as horror, ghost stories are a form of fantasy that tends to be small-scale. "Sell your soul to the devil" stories also tend to be personal. Same with the venerable "three wishes" or genie stories.

But epic fantasy tends to be, you know, epic.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

EricJamesStone I think you just gave me a different way to phrase this question. Why do period fantasy novels favor the epic plot? (For 'period' I'm meaning any period before guns.)

(PS Thanks Netstorm)

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited January 03, 2005).]

drosdelnoch
Member # 2281

- posted      Profile for drosdelnoch   Email drosdelnoch         Edit/Delete Post 
For me I find the whole thing a little weird. For example the Laurell K Hamilton tales started off with a damn fine plot, then the sex crept in. Now in the most recent novels it seems to have taken over and the plot seems to have gone by the wayside in favour of the sex.

For me I prefer that its hinted at such as was done in the Blood novels by Tanya Huff. That says more to me than it does with LKH.

As a reader thats what I prefer so as an attempting writer if it comes up (no pun intended) then thats what I'll do.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Just how epic are the plots?

I mean, LOTR as an over the top example, if you just cut it down to the bare bones of the story/plot, how epic would it be? So danged much of it is milieu, and that seems to be typical of most period fantasy. The writer needs (MOSTLY by definition of the genre) to build a world in which to set his story. Since there are no cut and dried systems of belief, you have to spend an awful lot of time telling the reader what they should believe.

Dragons, for instance. There are so many ways that dragons can be presented. Each writer has to spend time helping the reader believe that dragons are friendly/the enemy/extinct/rare/as common as cattle/as stupid as worms/as intelligent as humans/from another planet/living in the drain pipes of the federal prison system/etc,etc,etc,etc.

And this most often needs to be done with EVERYTHING of importance presented in the writer's particular world.

So, unless I'm completely missing your definition of 'epic', that's what I think.

Helpful? Or just the ravings of a lunatic?

Hmmmm....

Can I think of any novels that deviate from the epic form? Well, since that's the only kind of fantasy that I tolerate (that high fantasy rife with milieu tends to bore me)I thought Stardust by Neil Gaiman was pretty good. An excellent adult fairy tale! It's not exactly 'period'. It's set in the 1930's if I remember. But the technology is negligibly important. It really could have been written as a 'period' piece and still have been just as charming.

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited January 03, 2005).]

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. How about "SHEEPFARMERS DAUGHTER (Deed of Paksenarrion, Book 1) by Elizabeth Moon?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0671654160/102-4461180-3719315?v=glance

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I have read a few fantasy books that don't involve "the end of the world", but there aren't that many that I have read. I remember a fantasy book (which was ok) called "JerLayne" which was more individual. Ok, there was some parts that were more on the grand scale, but the majority of the book was concerned with the main character. The destruction of the world didn't rest on her shoulders.

The fantasy I'm working on has no world ending plot, but that's just me. If I were to do a second, well...then there would have to be a larger plot that would have more world effecting elements. I'm not real concerned at this point, since I have to get a first one written. Since the plot involves a definite ending that doesn't require anymore, a second might never happen.

Maybe fantasy lends itself to the "end of the world" concept more than scifi does. I could make a long list of scifi books I've read that were character stories where nothing that happened would end the world(s).

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rjzeller
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
maryRobinette:

This is an excellent question I was pondering just myself recently. Seems everything fantasy is always "save the world" plots. Nature of the beast, I guess.

however, there are some stories which seem to be more intimate, even if they take place on a larger/grander scale. Some Terry Pratchett books (most recently read MORT) are very personal in spite of the power or control some characters may have. And (and I KNOW I'm going to draw fire for this one, but) I think the HP books are relatively intimate. They really all relate to the fate of a single boy and his friends. That's it. Not the whole world, just Harry.

Sadly, everything I've read is actually, er...epic. So I cannot fairly reccomend anything, but I'm with MaryR...I'd love to hear of some...

Z

Posts: 207 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

Despite the romance stuff I misunderstood, read my previous post. Just scroll up.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Several months ago, someone posted information about a publishing house called Luna (I think ). It is a division of Harlequin or something and is geared toward publishing fantasy that has a focus on relationships instead of so much emphasis on world ending epics.

Personally, I have't read anything published by them - yet - but perhaps someone who has read some of their books could shed some light on the type of writing.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that my current WIP falls into this category. The main character does gain enough power to radically change the world, and she does so in the end. But the focus in the novel is more on her inner struggles, her desperate attempt to do what's right when everything is going wrong.

Oh and Christine: I'm just saying that there are a great many of us out there, particularly women, who could get a lot out of true intimacy in fantasy. [Emphasis mine.] *cough sterotyping cough*

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Okay--the word intimate is clearly throwing people. I don't mean romance--I mean small scale and personal. So I'm looking for novels that involve a small scale plot without the end of the world/kingdom making an appearance.

HP's conflict with He Who Must Not Be Named is an epic plot in my mind. LOTR's basic plot is "Ring must be destroyed or the world ends." The book might focus on the character and the milleau, but the plot is still, well, epic.

As I said before, the only ones that I can come up with are set in a more modern milleau like Stardust.

Thanks for the Sheepfarmer's Daughter reference mikemunsil. I'll check that out from the library.

rjzeller wrote:

quote:
Seems everything fantasy is always "save the world" plots. Nature of the beast, I guess.

But why? Any thoughts? Thanks for bringing up Pratchett's books, by the way, I forgot about them.

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Patricia McKillip has some, I think. Can't remember titles.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Winter Rose by Patricia McKillip seems like it would fit.

Beauty, Sunshine, and Deerskin by Robin McKinley come to mind as well. In some of her other titles, the safetly of a kingdom is at stake, but it seems a lesser focus than the protagonist's journey.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
Try Guy Gavriel Kay. His stand-alones have a very personal feel. Tigana moved me like no fantasy I'd read before, or since, for that matter. A Song For Arbonne is excellent as well. Kay's writing is very lyrical, sweeping even. Anyway, that's the best I can offer.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this applies, but take a look at Terry Brooks "Knight of the Word" series (Running with the Demon, is the first one).
I know, I know, the overlying theme has an "end end of the world" feel to it, but the character interaction and location are intimate (small). Most everything happens in one small steel town. And the characters are very "down home" type of people. The events as they happen in the first book really only affect the people of the town. It is of course a modern day fantasy, but it still may apply to what you are looking for.

I love Brooks' characterization in these books. The Female characters are very strong in Running with the Demon. Probably his best female characters I can think of, in any of his novels.

Another book comes to mind, The Last Dragonlord, by Joanne Bertin. It isn't a great literary example, but I don't remember it having an "end of the world" plot. I may have forgotten, but I think it is just a coming of age or discovery type of fantasy. And it isn't a modern or urban fantasy setting. It has been a few years since I read it, and there was a follow-up to that book, but I wasn't pleased enough with the first one to buy number two.

[This message has been edited by TruHero (edited January 03, 2005).]

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking more along the lines of Terry Pratchett. In most of his books it is more about the characters just trying to get by than save the world (though occasionally that happens along the way, in some cases by accident.

I guess that YA fantasy tends to be more intimate than adult epic fantasy. Other authors I thought of were Nancy Springer and Sheri Tepper. Springer in particular goes for the more intimate approach, although it can be a little melodramatic sometimes.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
What about The Princess Bride? I haven't read the book (yet), and I know that movies are often poor substitutes, but I like movie and the focus is on the relationships between the characters (and not just the romance between Buttercup and Wesley).

Perhaps a reason why there seems to be a limited selection of close, intimate fantasy, is because authors who write fantasy do so because they like creating grand, sweeping settings as opposed to characters. The character races are fairly established, so you take few elves, a couple of dwarves, several humans and perhaps a wizard or two, throw in a devil-type antagonist and write about the good guy's quest to save the world. With sci-fi, especially sci-fi involving aliens, the author has to put more effort into creating the character races because no one is going to know what a Saleinkrous Profigate is, unless they are told.

Or perhaps the answer is simply 42. (Sorry, I just got The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for Christmas )

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Several months ago, someone posted information about a publishing house called Luna (I think ). It is a division of Harlequin or something and is geared toward publishing fantasy that has a focus on relationships instead of so much emphasis on world ending epics.

I've never read anything published by them, but an author on another board I read sold a book to them last year.

The blurb on her web site begins:

"Joanne Walker has three days to learn to use her shamanic powers and save the world from the unleashed Wild Hunt."

Yep, it's another world saver.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Vehige
Member # 2284

- posted      Profile for Jeff Vehige           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've been asking myself the same question for a while, now. I'm sick of what we might call the "apocalyptic medieval fantasy." Whatever happened to the simple quest for fame, or riches, or the magic talisman? I suppose the problem with these kinds of stories is that, from a marketing perspective, they may not sell.

I haven't read anything by C. J. Cherryh. But from the little I know about her, I'm guessing you might find an "intimate" fantasy somehwere in her work.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Part of the reason this came up is a new story I'm working on. I was working merrily along on the plot, which was dealing with relationship and class structures, and suddenly I found myself trying to find ways in which it could affect the fate of the world. The story doesn't need that.

But then I could think of very few examples of fantasy literature which didn't involve the fate of the world/kingdom. Why is that? Do fantasies lend themselves to dramas of epic proportions? Is it the magic? When a writer looks at how they can raise the stakes for their characters, does the addition of magic automatically entail the fate of the world? Or is it just that this is the sort of book readers want?

I dunno. I'll write my book and the world will not end, or even be threatened, but it still got me thinking.

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
If you look at mystery novels, they almost always focus on murder. Why murder instead of fraud or burglary or assault or jaywalking? Because, at least in the world of crime, murder is the highest-stakes game there is.

Kingdom-or-world-threatening events in fantasy are a way of guaranteeing high stakes.

Jeff Vehige
Member # 2284

- posted      Profile for Jeff Vehige           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the idea of stakes is part of it--not entirely, though; high stakes can't replace bad writing, flat characters, and a banal plot. I don't think medieval fantasy lends itself to an end-of-the-world senerio, as if the that plot is essential to a medieval fantasy. But I think genres are self-defining, and the medieval fantasy had defined itself with that plot.
Posts: 25 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

Yeah, they do. Look at CSI. I've seen 'ONE' episode where there wasn't a murder involved.
The show's still good, but come on! Give us some wierd stuff once in a while, like a stolen prize burro.

djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Never mind.

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited January 04, 2005).]

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

You see how a question echoes... well I remembered lots more books that weren't world-ending plots. The classic one is the Wizard of Earthsea, but then there is the Liveship Traders series and any others I can't even remember. When I was younger there were more of these than there were of the epic fantasy. Mostly this tends to be classified as sword and sorcery, but there tends to be a whole lot more to them than just that.

As for why epic tales sell well... It may have something to do with the fact that most people need a large butt-kick before getting into gear. And what could motivate you more than the end of the world?

I mean would you carry a ring into enemy territory unless the stakes were high?

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

> I mean would you carry a ring into enemy
> territory unless the stakes were high?

Gandalf: The ring can only be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom, where it was forged. Taking it there will be a long and difficult task, with many dangers on the road.

Frodo: And if we don't succeed, then Sauron will rule Middle Earth?

Gandalf: Well, no. If the Elves and Mankind fight together, they can turn back Sauron.

Frodo: But if the ring isn't destroyed, then darkness will spread across the face of the land, turning people against each other?

Gandalf: No, the power of the ring is fading. It's rather old, you know. Its recent manifestations have been in the nature of a last gasp before dying.

Frodo: But the legend of the One Ring will continue, and many wars will be fought over it, even though it has no power left?

Gandalf: Not really. As its power fades, so will knowledge of its existence. As it was once forgotten, so it shall be again.

Frodo: So why does it need to be destroyed?

Gandalf: It reminds me of my ex-wife.

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

LOL

Um...doesn't Ged use a disasterous Spell of Summoning bring the shadow beast into Earthsea?

I just ran across this which is Le Guin talking about the SciFi channel miniseries. The title is "A Whitewashed Earthsea: How the Sci Fi Channel wrecked my books."
http://slate.msn.com/id/2111107/

Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

LOL at Eric.

[This message has been edited by Netstorm2k (edited January 05, 2005).]

yanos
Member # 1831

Yes he does, but the shadow isn't about to consume the earth or anything, just him. It is basically about his fight with the shadow, but really the fight is an internal one.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
But you'll notice that in the second book Ged is on a quest to bind together the Ring of Errek'Akeb, and in the third he's got to seal the hole between the world of the living and the land of the dead before all the magic in the world is lost. The stakes increased with each book.

Interestingly, this is all foreshadowed in the first book, where it is specifically mentioned that this is a tale of Ged before he did all his "great" deeds. LeGuin also explores Ged's life after his great deeds, though her later activist inclinations may have blinded her to the fact that all the later themes had already been effectively (perhaps more so) explored in that first book.

But Eric's earlier point remains valid. There is an entire world of stories about hauntings, deals with the devil, wishes granted by everything from aardvarks to zygotes, and even your good old Conan style quest for booty and...er, booty

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But then I could think of very few examples of fantasy literature which didn't involve the fate of the world/kingdom. Why is that? Do fantasies lend themselves to dramas of epic proportions? Is it the magic? When a writer looks at how they can raise the stakes for their characters, does the addition of magic automatically entail the fate of the world? Or is it just that this is the sort of book readers want?

Some people really like this kind of high-stakes drama. I'll admit to being one of them. And I think, as a group of people, we are attracted towards writing fantasy and SF, rather than something about F&SF provoking its writers to increase the stakes.

The point is, that to write something of this nature, you need freedom. I couldn't write a story set in a present day, realistic Earth where the stakes are that high. Finding a way of raising the stakes so high would be quite hard.

Some political thriller writers manage it, but other than those, speculative fiction is the only group of genres where you can do it effectively, I think.

I'm pretty close to convinced that the desire to write (or read) epics draws people to fantasy, rather than the other way around.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ergoface
Member # 1429

- posted      Profile for Ergoface   Email Ergoface         Edit/Delete Post 
My WIP started out as a story of how someone could go about learning magic, without the traditional handwaving (pun intended) where we skip from the person being clueless to able to being able to kill dragons with a look. The problem I ran into was that if my protagonist was only OK at magic then it would be pretty boring, so he had to be exceptional, and since he was exceptional, before you knew it he was attracting the attention of "greater powers" and soon the story had to involve an epic struggle.

So I guess this just means that since fantasy tends to revolve around exceptional characters, their conflicts tend to become exceptional as well. SF tends to go to the opposite, sometimes, where the situation is exceptional, and the person has to deal with it and getting out of the situation alive is more than enough excitement.

BTW Eric, I LOVED the spoof!

Posts: 77 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
The Godmother series by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough seemed "intimate" I think in the way you mean.

And funny enough, the first book issued by LUNA is "The Fairy Godmother" by Mercedes Lackey! I do plan to read it, after my current tome.

I just finished rereading "Perilous Dreams" by Andre Norton - that and some others she's written might fit the bill.

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished OSC's Enchantment this morning, and it had a strong subplot concerning Ivan's relationship with Katerina, though I'm not entirely sure this is what you are looking for or not. Thoroughly enjoyed the book, though. It had me sold on the first three words: "Orson Scott Card"
Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rjzeller
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I'm reading through all these posts and the thought occurs to me: Who cares?

Really? If other such books exist it doesn't matter because you're not telling THEIR story, you're telling YOUR story. Furthermore, if such books don't exist, then you have an opportunity to do something truly unique.

So do it. Do it in your own way, telling the story as only you can. IF the rudiments of good fiction are still present, it doens't have to be epic to be good. Does it?

I say not. A more intimate story about individuals instead of the fate of the world would actually be refreshing for a change.

I realize your original post had nothing to do with actually WRITING a book as such, but one assumes that is your ultimate aim.

And if it's not, well...you thought of it, so why not try? You seem to know more about writing than at least 1/2 the rest of us...so knock yourself out!!

my 2 pennies...

Posts: 207 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Thanks, rjzeller, you're a sweetheart. (My southern roots are showing. Must dye them again...) In truth, I don't care if such a book has been written before, though enough people have come up with things that are along the lines of what I'm interested in that I think there are some out there. It was more of a curiousity. It's hard for me to notice something and not poke at it till I understand it.
Whitney
Member # 2176

- posted      Profile for Whitney   Email Whitney         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you read any of Charles De Lint's work? It seems that in his longer fiction "balance of the world/magic" plays large part of his plots but in his shorter fiction, using the term intimate would apply. Especially in his Newford tales. My impression is that you can find most initmate fantasy in short stories because these allow for a more focused look at the relationship between protagonist & whoever.

Or what about Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series? I don't know if she considered fantasy or more mainstream romance, but her plots are intimate as well.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

I've read a lot of the books that people are suggesting but, the most are either are contemporary fantasies, like De Lint's Newfoundland stories, or a character-driven stories, but the fate of the kingdom is still a plot element, like Guy Gaveral Kay's work.
Survivor
Member # 213

Sure, but that's because in a fantasy world you need to establish whether the character is on the side of "Good" or "Evil", so you need to detail the larger conflict in a way that doesn't really come to the fore as much in a contemporary setting.
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but that's what's bothering me. Why does every fantasy need to establish lines between good and evil? Ok, Tolkien did it, but that doesn't mean we all have to.
By the by, with regard to the original question, "Winter Rose" by McKillip, which has already been mentioned, was the only thing that came to mind (with "Something rich and strange" by the same author, which sounds like the right thing--I haven't been able to track a copy yet, so I may be skating on thin ice here).

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
The Dragonlance short stories in the Tales books are intimate. And there are probably some dragonlance novels that arent saving the world.

My favorite one is 'The Storyteller' in Tales vol. 2 (titled Kender, Gully Dwarfs and Gnomes.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

It doesn't have to be good and evil in a cosmic sense, just enough context so that the character's actions have some kind of meaning.

Hi, I belong to the Imperial legions that go around stomping on babies to give our boots that nice cordovan polish we would otherwise have to buy better quality boots to get. Hi, I belong to the Imperial legions that protect all the roads so that the people can prosper in trade and free pilgramages without having to worry too much about getting chopped into mincemeat by bandits. Hi, I'm the local druid who takes care of the forest and all the cute animals. Hi, I'm the local druid who sacrifices virgins to the dark gods under the standing stones.

Because everything in the world is unfamiliar, you must describe enough of the context so that there is meaning.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.