Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Long-time lurker steps into the light…

Author Topic: Long-time lurker steps into the light…
WobblyG
Member # 2055

- posted      Profile for WobblyG   Email WobblyG         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve been lurking on this forum off and on for a couple of years now and have greatly enjoyed reading everyone’s posts. I’ve seen members come and go, but up until now I have merely watched from the shadows, a silent observer of all your discussions. (Sounds kind of creepy, huh?)

But now I have decided to step into the light, make myself known, and add whatever meager value I can to the discussions.

A little about me: I am 32, married, and a father of two cute little girls who keep me very busy. I live near Portland, OR and work in the corporate world in Organizational Development and Training where my writing skills have proven to be very useful.

I get my writing in between 5:30 a.m. and 6:30 a.m. and I am a firm proponent of the BIC method of writing. I like reading all kinds of genres, but find myself drawn to children’s and Young Adult Sci-fi and Fantasy, which is also what I tend to write.

(On a side note, one of my earliest on-line experiences was with OSC back in the late 80’s (‘88 or ‘89 maybe?) when he was a member of Prodigy on-line. He would post to a bulletin board that discussed him and his work. I thought that was the coolest thing I had ever seen, a chance to interact with one of my favorite authors! However, shortly after I discovered the board, they threatened to kick him off for promoting his own books and he was forced to refer to himself in the 3rd person in all his posts. My how things have changed in the past decade…)

Anyway, I am looking forward to finally joining in on the discussions.

Thanks!

WobblyG

Posts: 29 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, wobblyg
Look forward to reading your work.

It was a board discussing his work, and they threatened to kick him off? Man, talk about harsh feedback:
"So, what did you think of this?"
"Get outta here, you bum!"

Posts: 331 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Warbric
Member # 2178

- posted      Profile for Warbric   Email Warbric         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!

Prodigy-Online, huh? Wow, you must be old. Maybe even as old as me... or maybe even older than mikemunsil!

Posts: 151 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome WobblyG!
Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Welkommen!
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I felt I was being watched

Welcome to the light.

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome! I live in Portland, OR too. Or at least, that's where my house is.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
WobblyG
Member # 2055

- posted      Profile for WobblyG   Email WobblyG         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Talk about a quick response time. Thanks for the welcome everyone.

MaryR, you and I actually have exchanged a few emails a while back. I read your Three Little Pigs story on the online writing workshop shortly before you flew off to Iceland to work on Lazy Town. (My 3-year-old daughter really likes the show, by the way!) Last I heard, you had a story under consideration by Arthur Levine. Did anything ever happen with that?

WobblyG

Posts: 29 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, WobblyG!!

quote:
...or maybe even older than mikemunsil!

Yeah, right. Not likely. I remember dirt! Does anyone else remember when we got dirt? And just how, er... dirty it was at first?!!

Got between your toes and everything. Gross.

Prodigy? Hah! What about Delphi? What about Arpanet?! What about tin cans with cords strung tight between them??

Pupppies.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
What! No Pony Express?!
Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dspellweaver
Member # 2133

- posted      Profile for dspellweaver           Edit/Delete Post 
I like to lurk. Every once in awhile I am inspired to post a thought or two and then slink back into the shadows. Welcome and have fun!
Posts: 45 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
It's still under consideration, but it could take a year for them to get back to me. Meanwhile, I'm writing other things and doing the whole world traveller routine.

I'm glad to see you come out of the shadows here. You'll love the crits you get from these folks.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Love 'em or hate 'em... they are all useful. Welcome WobblyG. I hope to see you become more active. We need some fresh blood.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear your lurking days are over, WobblyG. Welcome.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.