Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Do non-likeable protagonists work? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Do non-likeable protagonists work?
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wish he'd said them a bit faster. That movie was a bit boring.

In any case, movies don't cut it in this discussion because movies have actors playing the protagonists. If you really don't like an actor, then you won't be likely to enjoy a movie which stars that actor anyway, and if you do like the actor, then there is something likeable about the protagonist, even if it is only the actor playing that character.

So with a movie this question is a Catch-22. If you liked the movie, then it is almost certain that you liked the performances of the actors playing the main characters. Therefore, the protagonist was likeable in some very important respects.

I might have mentioned this before, but that is one of the key differences between movies and books. In a movie, you can simply cast an attractive actor to play the character, and the audience will feel a great deal of personal connection to that character. Such is a matter of human instinct. In a book, you simply do not have this option, and attempting to do it by lame tricks like describing the physical attributes of a character will only make the reader sneer.

Note the recent hit movie Napoleon Dynamite. Even though the character is an unpopular...something or other; the actor playing the character is tall, physically coordinated, and has a good voice and a face without serious defects.

Could the movie have worked if the actor had been as unattractive as the character is supposed to be?

To be sure, part of the themeatic appeal of the movie is the idea of "a diamond in the rough", the hidden potential that nobody else is seeing. Casting a guy who is fairly attractive and having him act less attractive lets the audience "see through" the surface whateverness of the character to the underlying whateverness. It's an important part of the movie's appeal, that ordinary humans can sit there and see that there is more to this guy than the other characters are seeing in him.

So perhaps it isn't that important a factor generally, but I think it is.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you really don't like an actor, then you won't be likely to enjoy a movie which stars that actor anyway, and if you do like the actor, then there is something likeable about the protagonist, even if it is only the actor playing that character.

That's not always true. The best example for me would probably be Gangs of New York. Ever since Titanic I hated DiCaprio. I couldn't stand him. But he was great in Gangs, and the role was such that I got over the fact that I hated him. Then comes the Aviator to do it again. (maybe it's just Scorsese. I dunno.)

As for going the other way, Popeye is a horribly written character in the live action film, and no aspect of Robin Williams could ever make it work.

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
drosdelnoch
Member # 2281

- posted      Profile for drosdelnoch   Email drosdelnoch         Edit/Delete Post 
None likeable protagonists can work but in my opinion they often dont come out too well as the author can grow to hate them and thus not do the best job possible. That happened with Ironhands Daughter by David Gemmell, and that switched quite a lot of fans off his writing for a while until they learned to build up trust again.

For me I'd suggest that you write them as mean as you like but throw a redeeming feature in. IE, he'll kill people for looking at them the wrong way but he's a soft touch for kittens right down to rescueing them. Sounds weird but if any character has a soft spot for animals then people tend to like them no matter how bad they are to everyone else.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the last -- for me, if the protagonist has no redeeming features, I'm usually not interested in what happens to him. But he can be a real jerk and still have something good about him.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, it's possible to throw in a redeeming characteristic that isn't really a redeeming characteristic. My example of this comes from the Patriot. This guy, having been made into the devil by hollywood, has the only virtue of being a good commander. But when a man tries to speak for an injured British soldier, he asks him, "Were you there?" - no - "Then shut up." While he's still being a ass, he's being an ass in a good way. It's just that one part, but it's still something I like about him.
Posts: 341 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.