Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Good novel length

Author Topic: Good novel length
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Some reassurance, if anyone has any:

I saw in an agent's column that 80K was a standard length for a first novel. Since my WIP will be my first, I want to go as close to jumping through hoops as I can. I estimate mine to be about 117K.

How concerned should I be? Anybody here know? I'm going through it again, definitely cutting out fluff, but also expanding, so I probably won't change the length much by doing this.

Here's what I found online:

quote:
... Henceforth, books by midlist authors will not receive wide distribution [by a particular publisher?] if they cost too much -- that is, if they weigh in at more than about 110,000 words. ... So there you go, a cap of about 110K seems to be the 'industry hard cover standard' if you're interested in numbers.

and

quote:

he submission criterion has changed in many ways since the time I submitted my first novel. ... When I submitted my novel, length was an issue. In the intervening years, for a while, it was vastly less of an issue -- and now it's an issue again, with a vengeance.

... [Del Rey are] now actively looking for small books -- as in short -- from new authors. (Keeping in mind that my last book was over 400,000 words, short for me would be the 140K that is currently the high end of acceptable new-author word count for the largest of the SF/F publishing houses).

There are many reasons (given) for this change, one of the largest having to do with production costs, and the P&L statement. Profit and Loss statements are done for each book at each publisher; I would guess that some of the details differ from house to house, but regardless, there are some base expenses that will be added to the cost side of the ledger. Cover art. Type-setting. Copy-editing. Printing costs. House overhead ... In order to keep costs -down- (and cover prices), one of the things that has to go down is page count.

Realize of course, that if you are submitting to a paperback release first house it doesn't seem to matter as much.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as those are 117k good words in a good story, I'd say you have nothing to worry about.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
drosdelnoch
Member # 2281

- posted      Profile for drosdelnoch   Email drosdelnoch         Edit/Delete Post 
Im with Rahl on this, book length isnt too much of a worry providing that it has a cracking story. Plain and simple, publishers if they like the story would be able to say what needed cutting (if anything) and provide help where nessessary, just dont worry about it.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Things vary according to genre, too. 117K is pretty long for a mystery novel, but probably toward the short end of epic fantasy.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
A first novel that is a true mystery (ie not cross genre) should be 70-90k. This isn't a bad length for cross-genre, either.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that I'd be so dismissive over issues of length.

Editors and publishers under market pressures might be prone to simply ignore submissions that fall outside of their set criteria.

So if you know there is market pressure to keep novels under 110k, I would try to prune 7k words, so long as it doesn't affect the story adversely.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly, HuntGod.

Here is the terrible truth: There are many more novels written than are ever published. The depressing number I heard recently is something like 99.9% of novels are never published. That is, that's how many submissions the editors pass over.

Things about it. They have one hundred query packages sitting on their desk. These aren't for short stories, these are for novels, which take time to read. Not to mention that they have other duties. The editor will start narrowing them down by any means possible that doesn't include actually reading the submission. They will look at improper formatting, staples instead of paper clips, a cover letter with grammar errors or misspellings, and yet, a word count that is not in their ideal market target. They probably won't shoot it down for being within 5-10 percent (maybe, I don't know) but why take chances? If there is any way to trim, anything that could go. It's actually pretty easy to remove ten percent of your length from a story. If you reread with an eye for things that don't need to be there you can find all kinds of things.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with above. Furthermore, it is oft an extremely useful technique, to look at a "finished" manuscript and force yourself to say much more with much less. That is a problem where a background in poetry can especially help.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember who said it, but I recall the following formula:

Rewrite = Word Count (1st draft) - 10%...

I don't know if that's always true, but it seems like a good plan of attack.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that might have been Stephen King, among other folks.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.