Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » A thought and a question

Author Topic: A thought and a question
Axi
Member # 2247

- posted      Profile for Axi   Email Axi         Edit/Delete Post 

(It's been a while since I last visited Hatrack, so "nice to be here again")

In the last two weeks I've been re-reading some of Card's books (Ender's saga) and I have to say that, even though I know exactly what's going to happen I still get anxious with the conflicts and suffer when the characters do. I suppose that is what happens when the story you read is truly brilliant.

The first time I read Ender's game it was incredible. I thought that I could never read a book that kept me involved so intensely with the feelings of one character. Then came Speaker and the unbelievable happened. Here Card is capable of getting you involved with not one, but serveral characters (really a lot of people).

And here comes my question:

Do you know of any other book where tha author had to deal with so many different characters and their relationships? I'd be interested in them.

Thanks for your help.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
[I really should be packing; what am I doing still on the computer?]

Ender's game was great. The first time I read the book (I've read it a dozen times since), it took me less than a day to go through it. Somewhere near the end, tears came to my eyes -- not a good thing when you're surrounded by hard-charging US Marines, which I was at the time. (I feigned a cold, which didn't pass muster since we were in the hot California desert at that moment.)

Right. I have a particular fondness for Harry Turtledove's alternate realities. Most notably the "Worldwar Series." There must be about 8 or so protagonists and a few dozen antagonists to follow along in the four-book saga. Additionally, it's quite funny -- though I'm not sure if he intended it to be or not; I laughed anyway.

Good luck on your search...

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
xarius
Member # 2168

- posted      Profile for xarius   Email xarius         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if you wanted diffent authors or not, but how about Card's Homecoming books. He deals with several characters in each book, and it's very interesting to see how the relationships evolve over time. The last book is a lot like the difference between Ender's Game and Speaker in that you see the result of the earlier books.
Posts: 54 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Axi
Member # 2247

Thanks, HSO. I'll give it a try

Xarius, I've already read the Homecoming Saga. I was refering to(but didn't say --sorry for that--) other authors, to see how other people face the problems of handling so many characters and relationships. Thanks, anyway.

Axi
Member # 2247

Thanks, HSO. I'll give it a try

Xarius, I've already read the Homecoming Saga. I was refering to(but didn't say --sorry for that--) other authors, to see how other people face the problems of handling so many characters and relationships. Thanks, anyway.

Axi
Member # 2247

Sorry for that.

I'm stupid.

Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
George R. R. Martin's A Song Of Fire And Ice series. It is all about the characters, and there are lots of them. Be warned, though. It's slated to be a six book series and only the first three are out. Oh, and it's fantasy, not sci-fi.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that whether or not an author speaks clearly to you about how different people deal with the problems of being human depends on a couple of factors.

One factor is that Card has made a conscious effort to develop these themes in his own thought and in his writing. If you have any of his short story anthologies (which are collected systematically in Maps in a Mirror), you'll find that the little mini-essays he writes about each story, and the way that he's chosen to group them by what he considers their dramatic themes rather than by genre or milieu and so forth, speaks to this point. If you haven't seen them, the stories of The Worthing Saga, together with his meditations on how those stories came about, are a lesson in how Card develops his themes.

Now, that formal sort of development might be a disappointment to some romanticists, but I think that it is probably necessary for the author to consciously consider some theory of how humans find meaning in life and in fiction. Not every author has written extensive essays on the subject, but most should at least consider it.

Anyway, the other component is whether you as an indivitual are opwn to the ideas that Card uses in his work. Many people worry that this means "Mormonism", which is actually a pretty shallow notion. It is true that for many writers, the ethical system to which they owe formal alligience is the beginning and end of their sources for ideas about how humans deal with the existential problems of what is to be sought in life and how it is to be achieved. Certainly there are strong Christian elements in Card's writing and his philosophy. But if you regard Christianity with one means of answering the universal question, "Why do I exist?", it isn't so unusual for such a question to inspire somewhat Christian musings.

It isn't a matter of "doctrines" or such, after all, but a matter of whether certain portrayals of the teleological struggle of humanity makes sense to you personally. And that is a matter of your experience of what it means to be a sentient being searching for a reason to exist, and whether Card's representations echo your own experiences.

Which is to say, there are a lot of books where the various authors have had to deal with many different characters, and it isn't easy to say that you would enjoy any of them. It isn't just a matter of being a talented writer, there must be some affinity between the reader and author about what constitutes drama.

As for the double post, I like the way that you show a proper sense of humor about it by adding another successive post to apologize.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
"Mystic Warrior" by the Hickmans has three sets of chars, And the most interesting parts are where they interact.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post 
Axi - I read primarily Fantasy and know several authors that I feel accomplish the task of juggling a host of characters quite well but since I'm not sure if you're looking for Fantasy or just pure SciFi I'll hold off spewing out my list until you reply.

Though I have to say that Janny Wurts made me feel that exact same way. She is an acquired taste though. But she set up a situation that threatened the life of a major character and I KNEW it was not possible for him to die because there were several other books following this one with him in it but somehow she still had me holding my breath at the climax of that scene! It was incredible and I loved every moment of it.

Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Footfall, Niven & Pournelle. 4 pages of Dramatis Personae. It was NOT a plus.

Lucifer's Hammer, same authors. More manageable.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rjzeller
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
...maybe it's just that i'm reading this at 1:00 am in the morning, but Survivor's last sentence just cracked me up.

As for the rest of his statement, I agree 100%, and that's about all I have to add to this thread.

Posts: 207 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Axi
Member # 2247

To all of you, thanks for your posts. I've made a list of the books you suggest and I'll try to read at least some of them.

I understand that merely meeting the criteria of having to deal with several characters does not imply that the story is going to be a good reading to me. I just wanted to read how other authors dealt with the same problems Card faces in speaker. I completely agree with what Survivor said. I was just thinking more about the technique.

Thanks, again.

Note: About my triple-post. When I realized I had sent the same post two times and I wasn't able to delete one of them, I felt stupid. The third post tried to share that feeling. I see now it was unnecessary. I was going to say "sorry" again, but that would almost be quadruple-posting, so I'll refrain. I'll just promise not to double or triple post again, if I can help it.

[This message has been edited by Axi (edited February 24, 2005).]

Axi
Member # 2247

TaShaJaRo, fantasy or Sci-Fi, it does not matter to me. I like both genres.

(Technically this is double posting, isn't it? )

[This message has been edited by Axi (edited February 24, 2005).]

autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
There is one author whom I feel also does pretty well with making you really care about multiple characters.

Her name is Kage Baker, and after reading all her published work to date, she is officially on my "Favorite Authors-The Short List". She writes both fantasy and sci-fi.

Her novels of the Company are fascinating and combine science fiction with historical fiction in a way I've never seen done as well before. In the Garden of Iden is the first book in that series.

The Anvil of the World is a fantasy novel about a caravan of people, and also has some great character work.

Either one would be good to start with. Or if you aren't willing to commit to a whole series, or even a novel-length work, her novella Empress of Mars is hilarious and wry, and also has a bunch of well-painted characters.

Truly, guys, I highly recommend her to everyone who likes OSC.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jsteg1210
Member # 1993

- posted      Profile for Jsteg1210   Email Jsteg1210         Edit/Delete Post 
Stephan R Donaldson's Thomas Covenant Trilogy. They're some of my favorite books of all time, and will teach you alot about how to build convincing worlds and anti-heroes.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of my favorite large-cast Fantasy books/series are:

The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist
and
The Dragon Prince series by Melanie Rawn

Those are the two with the largests casts that I feel did an excellent job making me interested in many of the characters, not just a few.

Some others with smaller casts but still more than just one or two characters are:

The Mistwraith series by Janny Wurts
and
The Liveship Traiders Trilogy by Robin Hobb
and
The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind (though this one could almost go up in the large cast section simply because of the number of books and therefore characters but I leave it here in the smaller casts section because there is not an enormous amount of characters in any one book - just all of them as a whole - if that makes any sense.)

Hope that helps. Let me know what you think if you do try any of them.

Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Levin
Member # 2399

- posted      Profile for Levin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do you know of any other book where tha author had to deal with so many different characters and their relationships? I'd be interested in them.

Tolstoy's Anna Karenina

Posts: 7 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
catnep
Member # 2359

- posted      Profile for catnep   Email catnep         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Robert Jordan's series that I cannot think of the name of...heh. He juggles more than 6 characters throughout his series in what I thought was quite a unique way for a fantasy. Of course, I stopped reading them because I saw no end in sight, and was unhappy about several aspects of the characters and the story. but I think as a study on handling characters they might be worthwhile. I have a friend who dislikes most fiction who ate this series up because of the way the author handled characters.

I am having a terrible time typing the word "because" lately...it is driving me nuts.

Posts: 85 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.