Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Re-write Quandary

Author Topic: Re-write Quandary
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to post this in the new Re-write discussion zone, but figured Dakota might not like it so I created a special place all its own.

The first Hatrack Re-write Challenge was about the "Three Billy Goats Gruff". After several months of editing, re-writing and procrastination, I'm nearing the fateful day when I will finally put my little story in an envelope and send it off to the wolves.

Before I do that, I have a major issue. I've gotten a lot of feed-back regarding my opening, basically it could/should be removed entirely and the story should start with what is essentially part 2.

My quandary is this:
If this was just another story, it wouldn't really matter where I chose to start it. But this is a re-write and a big part of me wants to stay as close to the source story as possible.

The action of the "Three Billy Goats Gruff" begins with the dilema of the goats and then moves to the bridge and the individual confrontations with the troll.

Given my POV, I don't really need to include "the goats dilema", but I feel a sense of attachment to it.

So how important is it to stay true to the source material when doing a re-write?

At what point should you quit worrying about the source and just worry about the product? You know, "Suck it up princess..."

Any advice on looking at this sans emotion and with a modicum of objectivity?

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you met the requirements of the challenge to stay true to the original, when you submitted to the challenge. I see no reason to hold yourself to that when you submit to 3rd parties, unless you are prsenting it to THEM as a rewrite.

Don't hamstring yourself.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see a problem with detracting from the original. I see the rewrite as more inspirational than anything else. take it and run with it. Especially for third parties

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I like good stories and true advertising. If your story is "a retelling of the Billy Goats Gruff" and has a different plot line and no goats, I'll get cranky. If it's "based on the Billy Goats Gruff," I just want to see that it does have some connection. Go wild.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
ditto. If you really, really love it, you could try to rewrite to make the beginning essential, but I think you're probably better off forgetting your inspiration story and focussing on what makes this one rock.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
You could have posted this in the discussion zone! I would never get mad with you Robyn!

BUT, I do agree with the above. The purpose of the rewrite is to hopefully inspire folks to get writing.

Now that you're selling, keep a copy of the whole for yourself, but market the one that will succeed among the wolves.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm coming into this discussion late, but I wanted to say that I agree with what's been said so far.

As for objectivity, the only way I've done it with my re-writes is to put them in a drawer and ignore them for a month. Then, pull them out and read them like you would any story: edit, re-write, delete what doesn't work, add anything that helps build the story. It's what I did to my Headless Horseman story and by doing that I realized that it was a much bigger tale than I originally thought.

So after I finish my dragon novel, I'm going to work on the rough draft of my Headless Horseman novel.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.