Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Have you ever been startled?

Author Topic: Have you ever been startled?
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
An even happens in my story that if I use it as it occured, will somewhat confuse the story opening. My brother's mother in law was staying with us and one night I turned around and screamed because I thought she was a ghost. I'm looking for a similar incident that can maybe show that my conscience is unsettled.

I don't know, maybe the part about me carrying an unsheathed knife around campus can reflect the same lack of confidence.

P.S. Is it odd for a college freshman who has to walk home after dark (female) to carry a butterfly knife at the ready?

[This message has been edited by franc li (edited March 03, 2005).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post 
A butterfly knife? Um... being a female college freshman myself, I have to say that I've never heard of any of my peers carrying about butterfly knives. Pepper spray, yeah, I've got some of that, and a couple of girls actually carry mace. Rape whistle--check. I do carry a Swiss army knife, but I mostly carry it for the scissors and the tweezers, not for use as a weapon (though, if it came down to it, I suppose I could do some damage with it, if I needed to).
Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
What are you asking for, franc li? Some kind of personal experience, I understand, but what kind?
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alynia
Member # 2358

- posted      Profile for Alynia   Email Alynia         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here's an experiment:

1) Write the event as you saw it, with a beginning, a middle and an end.

2) Write the event as someone else in the room with you would have seen it.

3) Write the event through the eyes of the mother-in-law.

Can you start a story with an event? By all means.

Is it a story worth telling? You'll only know if you try if from every possible angle.

As for carrying open knives about campus, I have to say Nix. Get a taser. <grin> A person could use the open blade against you in an attack and that would be bad.

Very, very bad.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the incident on her live journal. Her journal actually is a compelling read.

I don't think it is too odd. I have known several women carry weapons for protection. ESPECIALLY on campuses. Although I think the Utah College campuses are pretty safe at least compared to what happens down in Florida and Lousianna.

As far as weapons of choice go a simple lock-back like a Gerber or Case are much safer and will take much more abuse than a butterfly knife (bali-song) and the police are much more likely to accept a lockback as a defense weapon rather than a balisong or a switchblade.

But if I felt I had to carry a weapon I would obtain my conceal and carry permit. The court systems have a much better understanding and acceptance of firearms vs any other type of weapon for defense. If you stab someone in self defense you can look towards a $10,000 to $20,000 legal bill in most states because most jurisdictions do not view knives (clubs, nunchaukas, swords, etc) as self defense weapons as they do firearms.

A more realistic solution would be to use the buddy system, and not go anywhere alone if your that nervous.

Im just rambling- btw the way I really like the way you present the dialogue and action in your journal.

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes, put that knife away. In a fight you could be the one that gets hurt. Also, what if you tripped whilst walking home?
Buddy system is best. But if you really feel you need a weapon, I suggest a nice umbrella. Kubaton is interesting if you can find someone to teach you. Cane defense is also an option, and can be used with a hooked handle umbrella.
Take a self defense or martial arts course if you feel intimidated. It will go a long way to promoting confidence in your ability to handle a situation and you will get some exercise.
If you don't feel like a class is for you, at least check out this website.
http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com
Marc McYoung's advice is the best I have found so far on the Internet.
If you want a good book on the topic, email me. One of our Masters just got a book published through our association that is really good and I could order you one.

In regards to the story, try reading some of Mary Stewart's or Victoria Holt's gothic/romance/mysteries. They both do a good job of putting thier heroines on edge. In House of a Thousand Lanterns (V. Holt) she does a great job of showing her heroine slowly going crazy, or at least that's what appears to happen.

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely don't carry the thing if you don't know how to use it naturally. It can be more of a danger to you than protection.

My favorite "concealed" weapon is the umbrella I learned how to use in Hapkido while doing cane defense. It can be really effective if used correctly. Fortunately, I've never had occasion to even think about using it. Also fortunately, I've always felt safe on my campus.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
She doesn't carry around a butterfly knife anymore, it's just something that she used to do.

I think the thing that she liked about it was that you can brandish a butterfly knife in a way that makes it clear to everyone whether or not you actually know how to use it. Also, she liked brandishing it.

I prefer weapons that can be almost completely concealed until a disabling blow has already been delivered, myself. I'm not interested in scaring off potential prey, after all. Threat displays are a way of avoiding a fight where you don't have clear superiority. Still, it is a bit atypical for female college students to become proficient in the use of a melee weapon. Especially those that don't have notable hand to hand training.

But FL has always been a terror with pretty much any kind of weapon. Even a spoon. If she tells you to stop doing something, and she's got a spoon, as you love your life, stop. Just because she doesn't have line of sight, don't think you're safe.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

You know their should be a class in high school called: Self Defense and the law. Right now their have been thousands of people who defended themselves justly and were incarcerated (irregardless of defense weapon) and of course there are thousands who have been hurt or killed by attackers.

But after teaching martial arts for 20 years I am saddened at the fact that if you don't know the self defense laws you may lose your life figuratively speaking in the courts. Most states have this idiotic law that states:

Once you have neutralized the threat (ie blocked the blow, broken the choke, or ran twelve feet from a knife, etc) that anything else can be considered assault or even murder or attempted murder. Here in Arkansas there is no justified self defense save for Pepper Spray (some cities here pepper spray is illegal) or a firearm. Anything else is considered becoming the aggressor. But here you can KILL a home intruder no questions asked, but on the street there in not much legal defense for a victim who fights back.

What's the saying Judged by 12 is better than carried by 6?

VirulentShadow
Member # 2409

- posted      Profile for VirulentShadow   Email VirulentShadow         Edit/Delete Post 
Being a black belt myself, and experienced in a few different kind of martial arts (kuk sool won, wushu, a little kendo and other sparring types), I have to agree with JBSkaggs. Carrying around knives isn't really going to help you. If you manage to get the knife out of your pocket, unfold it (or unsheath... or whatnot), are you going to have time to use it? Can you use it effectively? If you can are you ready for the consequences of the law? Suggestions: be loud, and run... and don't put yourself in the situation in the first place.

As for answering the thread's question, try Alynia's approach at writing for different perspectives to get the surprise written well. But ya, I don't think most people carry around knives (I may be to naive, but what the hey).

Peaceums

Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
When I'm walking alone at night, in a place I'm uncomfortable, I pull out my keys and put them between my fingers (I have four keys so it works out well).

I try not to advertise the fact that I'm feeling insecure. The keys aren't easily noticed and I try to walk with confidence.

Brandishing a weapon won't necessarily stop you from being attacked, if the attacker knows you are scared. And if you don't know how to use the weapon, you are just as likely to be hurt by it.

Something else to consider: would you actually use the weapon if provoked? If you don't really want to use it, don't carry it. I was watching a movie or T.V. show that said something to that effect and it struck me as being a good piece of advice. If you don't use it and don't stop your attacker, what's going to stop them from getting hold of it and using it on you.

As for the unsettled conscience bit, I'm really not sure what you're looking for.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

So what I'm getting is that just carrying the knife is enough to mark me as mentally unstable. Which is more what I'm going for in this story.

I've actually altered the start quite a bit from what is in my livejournal. I decided the mother in law story had to go, because explaining her living with us got too complicated, when my older brother and so forth moved a couple months later.

I've decided to go with a more measured build up, me suffering night terrors and moving into the living room to sleep, resulting in discussing the fear of ghosts etc. to Evan, who will be the one to suggest counseling. Then the professor's suicide.

My next question is whether I need to include the tale of my Nephew being born, or if I can just talk about him while he's a baby. I describe my own giving of birth later in the book, and I think that may be too much placenta for all but the most dedicated hen-lit readers.

[This message has been edited by franc li (edited March 03, 2005).]

ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's weird for a young woman to want to defend herself. There was a case recently around here where a man disguised as a police officer attacked (& killed, IIRC) a college student.

There are a lot of seriously whacked-out people out there.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

Franc,

I lived in oregon for a while and every Asian and Part Asian family I knew had in laws living with them. I understood not the specifics but the norm of the situation.
I had a great friend named Mr. Lee. He was 86 and every day he would come to my store and talk with me. He knew no english and I knew no chinese. But we would have coffee and just hang out together. He began bringing his family around to meet me and I met his family. The reason I mention this was that his nickname was the Troll. he liked to hide in closets or under stairs and startle his grandkids and kids. He moved to LA to china town and I do miss him.

Anyway, A really great movie was made about Chinese inlaws trying to live with their American kids homes and the resulting chaos. It's one of my all time favorite movies. It is called "Pushing Hands"

But I don't know if you realize that for many of us, the social dynamics of cultural complications and family stresses is what makes the story interesting.

I said in ealier thread I found child birth to have great potential for drama, tension, and interest. All depending on how you present it. Done right it can be nail biting drama- even a normal delivery.

Jb Skaggs

[This message has been edited by JBSkaggs (edited March 04, 2005).]

franc li
Member # 3850

The startlement was non-deliberate, which is what made it so funny. Though rampant deliberate startlement also sounds interesting.

We are only part Asian, so the in-laws living with was very temporary. I don't really have interest in her being an ongoing character. I mean, I haven't even managed to include my youngest sister in this story at all. I'm debating whether to actually reduce the family size to reflect that.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.