Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Word Count

Author Topic: Word Count
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I am about to send my Custer story in to a fellowship competition. The competition has a word limit, so, when posting my word limit on my piece, should I state the EXACT word count? Or the approximate?

The approximate would be 5000 (which is also the competition's limit--which I have not exceeded) and I'm afraid if I put 5000 they might think I've gone over. I don't want to disqualify myself. In competitions are they likely to be so picky? I know editors aren't (to a limit). Should I put something smart alecky like: "Close to, but not exceeding, 5000 words."?

Cross your fingers for me. If I win I can afford to apply for Boot Camp!

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see what's wrong with exact.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 

Approximately xxxx words is usually sufficient since there are so many ways to count words.

JB Skaggs

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Create a dummy, on-line e-mail account under a made up name and ask them how picky they are.

I just created such an e-mail acccount for a simillar purpose yesterday.

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited March 08, 2005).]

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I really think you should just say approx 5000. It looks unprofessional to put the exact worcount down, from what I've heard.

One thought...if rounding to the nearest 50 rather than the nearest 100 would put you at 4950, you could try that.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Christine! You AWE me with your brilliance! I hadn't even THOUGHT to round to 4950!

I think that HAS to be the perfect solution.

Thank you ever so very much!

djvdakota
Member # 2002

Dang! Editing left me at 5004 words. I had to go for the 'approx. 5000'. Hope those four little words don't screw it for me.
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have any ellipses? Each dot gets counted as a word. If you use the ellipsis character (something I would never ordinarily suggest) you could cut some words out. (Hats off to EricJamesStone for this maneuver).
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post 
If you go crusing around, SF/F editors now apparently also regard it as unprofessional to indicate anything like "approximately."

I don't know about the contest editors, but I'd just use the word count function in your WP program, then round it up or down to the nearest hundred.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
There aren't 4 adverbs in your story? Or an adjective + noun phrase that could be a different noun?
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

GAH! Franc li, do you KNOW how many times I've been over this thing cutting wherever I could?

It went. I opted to let them count pages and figure whether I was legal. No word count--the rules did not say it HAD to be on the document. They also had a 20 page limit, which was stupid because 5000 words of Courier 12 pt. won't FIT on 20 pages (it takes 23), so I had to use Times New to make it a slim 17. A hell. I hope it doesn't matter. I hope they're not as picky as my paranoid mind is imagining they will be.

Thanks everyone, but the point is moot. It's in the mail.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.