Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Ron Moore's blog and Harlan Ellison

Author Topic: Ron Moore's blog and Harlan Ellison
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked Ron Moore's latest blog entry and couldn't keep it to myself. It's called Thank you, Harlan Ellison and it really inspired me.

Now, back to writing.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
How cool.

quote:
"Think as I think'" said a man, "or you are abominable. You are a toad."

And after I had thought on it, I said, "I will then, be a toad."

Stephen Crane

Or, as I boil it down in my simple-minded way, "I will not live my life in fear."

Thanks for the link.

mm

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post 
What a cool story.

I have my own little Harlan Ellison story to tell. Nothing as impressive as that, but inspiring in its own odd way.

About four years ago I was a regular reader and occasional poster on the boards at www.harlanellison.com. One of the things that delighted me was that The Man himself would pop in from time to time and post a few thoughts (from someone else's computer). At the time I was still engaged in the youthful business of making an ass out of myself (I still do, but am not as industrious about it these days).

Myself and another person were engaged in a bunch of silly blather about the writing process one day. I'm not talking about the sort of shop talk you find here at Hatrack or elsewhere, but psycho-babbly stuff. Anyway, Harlan emerged on the board and verbally harangued us--in essence, he said that if we spent as much time actually writing and sending things out as we did spewing nonsense about it we might actually get published someday. (It was an exasperated rant, not one of his patented Total Destruction Rants, which is probably why I managed to survive the experience without burning to a cinder.)

From that moment on I've always tried to put my work first.

Because he's right.

Edit: Clarified a couple of things.

[This message has been edited by ScottMiller (edited March 09, 2005).]

Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.