Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Methane gas... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Methane gas...
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for RavenStarr   Email RavenStarr         Edit/Delete Post 
How many of you know anything about chemistry or maybe even biochemistry?
I need to figure out something in the body that can naturally ignite methane gas. Basically, I’m trying to come up with a scientifically possible explanation of how a dragon can breath fire... and I need something that makes more sense than Animal Planet's idea...

Posts: 183 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Josh Leone
Member # 2365

- posted      Profile for Josh Leone   Email Josh Leone         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a show on a channel called Animal Planet called "Dragons: A Fantasy Made Real." It is a documentary style feature based on the premise that modern scienists have found the remains of a fire breathing dragon in an arctic cave. They go through the whole process of scientific investigation and determine things like how the dragon flew, howit breathed fire, mating rituals, etc. It's real well done. I'm sure it would be available on video.

here's a link.
http://animal.discovery.com/convergence/dragons/dragons.html

Posts: 95 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for RavenStarr   Email RavenStarr         Edit/Delete Post 
Um... it's funny you should mention that... 'cause... well... I already mentioned it..

Thanks anyway...

djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Supposing dragons are related to dinosaurs, they could swallow a piece of flint and a piece of iron. It would stay in their gullet or in a specialized pouch, and they could contract a certain set of muscles to spark the methane?

Just an idea. Or is that what the AP film surmised? Haven't seen it.

You'd also have to explain why a dragon's upper digestive tract produces so much methane. Usually that kind of methane gas concentration isn't produced until the end of the process, in which case your dragon would have to shoot fire out of his...well...er...we won't go there.

[talk about hemmorhoids!]

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited April 05, 2005).]

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Biological entities are full of interesting machines that do all sorts of things. Surely an organ could produce a spark, or two chemicals in the body could be produces, so that when they come together it forms a reaction...
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

djvdakota:
"Supposing dragons are related to dinosaurs, they could swallow a piece of flint and a piece of iron. It would stay in their gullet or in a specialized pouch, and they could contract a certain set of muscles to spark the methane?
Just an idea. Or is that what the AP film surmised? Haven't seen it"

Yea... I'd say you could have actually written the program... they said it was platinum that sparked hydrogen... but otherwise... it was the same explanation. And I thought that was kinda dumb... so... I need something better...

"You'd also have to explain why a dragon's upper digestive tract produces so much methane. Usually that kind of methane gas concentration isn't produced until the end of the process"

I already have an explanation for that part. Don't worry, the character that actually needs to state all this is very logical minded, so I basically have to make myself think of everything detail to make sure the logic isn't lost somewhere...

ChrisOwens:
I've considered an organ, considering that many animals, including humans, have extra organs and all, it's not too hard to make that make sense... even for two chemicals to merge and be one... it'd need to be something that they could control and would make sense for it to be natural for any creature (or at least a large reptile) to posses that chemical in their bodies to begin with. I've considered trying to make it some sort of chemical reaction involving body acids... but that's just not working out right. I've asked this question on a science forum, and they're tossing it about with little results too...

HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I know very little about chem or biol, but building off Dakota's idea, what if a dragon had a special set of teeth to act as an ignitor, like flint?

Then, the gas could be naturally present, and the dragon could ingite by biting down a particular way -- scraping the teeth until a spark occurred. ?

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

HSO, your timing of saying that is amazing... I was actually just about to post that the problem has been solved, and the solution is very simular to what you have stated...
Doing some googling I came accross a chemistry site that explained the properties of methane, that kinda sparked an idea... if you'll excuse the pun...

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I am SO disappointed at the lack of risk-taking here that I might just insist that next week's flash challenge involve a nether-burner dragon!!! Think about it. It makes MUCH more sense to:

1) burn your behind than your mouth
2) get a bit of a boost during flight
3) use as a flame weapon on someone coming up behind you in a sneak attack in aerial combat
4) use to signal your presence to other dragons at night, "I ####, therefore I live!"

And what about mating season displays?

The possibilities are endless.

One thing we've never discussed here (that I know of) is risk-taking in writing. This is a great opportunity. Let's not lose it.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited April 05, 2005).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

Actually, the project I'm working on is more or less a hybrid of sci-fi and fantasy... trust me, there's still a large amount of risk taking involved... the dragon is actually one of the few things in the story that is actually going to be explainable for the "fantasy-half" of the world...
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if any of you have heard of the Bombardier Beetle. It has two separate chambers inside its body that contain chemicals. When apart, the chemicals are harmless, but when they contact each other, voila! instant barbecue. This bug does shoot out the rear end, though.

But do your dragons have to use methane? Why not something like the beetle uses, two compartments with stuff in them, and the dragon can shoot them both out its mouth at the same time, at which point they ignite?

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Josh Leone
Member # 2365

- posted      Profile for Josh Leone   Email Josh Leone         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. Kind of zoned out there I guess.

I don't know if this helps but I seem to recall there is a kind of ant that acts like a suicide bomber, exploding violently if overwhelmed in combat. Probably a similar process to that beetle.

I'm going back to sleep now.

Josh Leone

[This message has been edited by Josh Leone (edited April 05, 2005).]

Posts: 95 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny the bombardier beetle should be mentioned; I was going to bring that up. Its mechanism has the benefit of being absolutely plausible because it actually exists in nature. It sounds like you should take a quick gander at Heinlein's Glory Road -- he's got the firebreathing dragons in a quasi sci-fi/fantasy setting, and even mentions the afterburner possibility, along with his characters' method of dealing with said dragons.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

Wow, autumnmuse, you practically quoted a friend of mine that I asked about all this and mentioned the Beetle... which actually helped lead to my train of thought that lead to my conclusions...

To your question about the methane... basically, I chose methane because that seems to be the most likely combustible chemical to come from a reptilian creature, and it seems to be the easiest to figure out a way for the dragon to have voluntary control over it… even if it's not 100% voluntary…

In a short explanation (which will be among the explanation in my story, simply because I can’t resist a smart-ass line), the dragon farts out the north-end, and basically controls it in relatively the same manner that a person controls burping… in other words… don’t ask a dragon to try burping the alphabet…

RavenStarr
Member # 2327

I just researched "Glory Road", it looks interestig, I think I'll try looking more into it next time I get into a bookstore...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0671877046/104-2563258-6625508

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Dragons are the fantasy world equivalent of faster-than-light travel. (Impossible at best. But we are willing to ignore that unless you try to explain it.)

BTW, Terry Pratchett has flame farting firedrakes in Guards! Guards! Carrot (the main character) uses one as a kind of flamethrower to get out of a tight spot.

BTW2 did you read this bit from the consulting biologist on Animal Planet's Dragons?

quote:

Styx3: Did you have any other ideas on how dragons breathed fire besides the platinum theory?

Dr. Hogarth: It's the setting fire to the dragon that's the problem. I think our ideas were hydrogen and air mixing and exploding, and the only way we could think of it to work was the powdered platinum. We wondered if they could strike a spark against their teeth. Large dinosaurs did ingest stones to help digest their food, but the stones couldn't be large enough. There was the possibility of electricity. There are animals that create amounts of electricity — electric eels and electric rays — but they couldn't generate a spark, so the platinum theory seemed to be the best.

Edit: rant deleted...

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited April 05, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that chemical-combo-squirting idea was done in a movie that came out in the last couple of years...forget what it was called, though.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, are we disqualified from the flash challenge because we already know the topic?

This whole topic reminds me of the time my kids came home from their dad's and reported their stepbrother had used a lighter to light his... methane expulsions... and burned all the hair off his behind and left behind a ghastly smell that seared their nostrils and left them gagging for hours.

I'm sure dragon methane smells MUCH better.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
In the seventies there was a book and a cartoon about dragons. They naturally created hydrogen from water and this also caused them to float, they used fire as the means to control their hydrogen amounts. They ignited the hydrogen using a organ that combined two chemicals that when combined reached temperatures beyond the hydrogen flash point.

The dragons great size was due to their basically being blimps.

Of course if it's an ALIEN dragon it could just have undiscovered chemical that burns in the presence of oxygen.

I have seen a cow and a hay bail ignite on their own due to fermentation buildup. That's one reason why you can't bail wet hay- it can burn. As any farm kid tricked into putting their arm into a wet green bail can tell you.

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
holy smoking cow!
You weren't bailing wet heifers again were you MR SKAGGS?

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
My own preference is that dragons not breathe fire. From a metabolic standpoint, it's simply far too wasteful. JB's notion of certain intermediates of anareobic metabolism is interesting, but I would get away from the idea that it's just something that their bodies just do "naturally".

Dragons are smart. If there is magic in your milieu, then they can probably do fire magic pretty well. If not, then they probably do the juggler's trick or use a small (relatively speaking, of course) flame thrower. If you're doing dumb dragons, then I can't (or perhaps would rather not) help you.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the way they protrayed it in Reign of Fire (the movie Jeraliey referenced).
The idea allowed for some interesting variations, such as dragons drooling fiery chemical drool when they were not spraying it from their mouths in an "aerosol delivery". They also had an interesting take on why the dragons breathed fire. Their dragons had to burn their food first to consume the ash. Some of the mating habits of their dragons didn't make sense, but the fire-breathing process and the need for it seemed believable.

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, this idea was inspired by the flame-thrower bugs in the Starship Troopers movie. Those bugs sprayed a liquid that was ignited by a static charge (not sure where the charge came from exactly, but it looked cool ).

So, what if the dragons sprayed a flammable liquid (i.e. saliva laced with burped-up methane gas) and they can create a static charge with their nostril hairs by hyperventilating.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

Man… when a person gets you people started on brain-storming, there really is no way to turn you off, is there...
Anyways... I'll try to respond to things anyways, but I can't tell you anything that will reveal anything significant to the plot... I don't want to kill it for anyone who may become a reader...

hoptoad:
"Dragons are the fantasy world equivalent of faster-than-light travel. (Impossible at best. But we are willing to ignore that unless you try to explain it.)"

That's what separates fantasy from sci-fi... fantasy is just "magic", where as sci-fi is "science"... to say a creature that is not known to exist on this planet, especially an animal that is at least semi probable, is actually a falsie in logic... traveling faster that light is actually not *proven* impossible either, it's just presently impossible and mostly improbable... but for someone that can create a believable theory of it being possible, they can very easily make it possible in sci-fi.

To your "BTW2"
Actually the thing of the dragon blowing up from it is something that I've taken into consideration... also one of the reasons I've chosen methane over any of the other possible chemicals... granted, it's still possible for it to blow up his head, if it were possibly forced to close its mouth at the wrong time, but otherwise it would be harmless to the dragon... {Um… forget I said that... I might be able to make use of that idea...}

"Edit: rant deleted..."

Don't you rant at me, mister... go to your room!

JBSkaggs:
"Of course if it's an ALIEN dragon it could just have undiscovered chemical that burns in the presence of oxygen."

Actually... a lot of discovered chemicals happen to become highly combustible when mixed with air, so an undiscovered chemical would be unnecessary... like... methane (reference: Swamp Gas)... it only takes a slight spark to make it ignite enough to create a fire that can melt the flesh off a human (the flaw of doing research is having to actually see some of this stuff... fair to say, I have a clear image of what I'm working with now)... hence why I've chosen to go with a sort of flint in the dragon's mouth.

Survivor:
"My own preference is that dragons not breathe fire."

That would kill some key points in the story otherwise, the dragons and their evolution is significantly relevant (and you're not gonna get me to tell you any more).

"From a metabolic standpoint, it's simply far too wasteful."

I don't get why it's "wasteful"... it's about as wasteful as anybody's body already does... hence... it's natural... especially taking into consideration the extra size of the dragon, and its excessive eating, which creates larger amounts of methane (this occurs in real animals even).

"Dragons are smart."

That's a falsie of logic... you mean "Dragons could be smart," but they could just as easily be as stupid as the typical dinosaur (which, by the way, are theorized to have been pretty dumb).

"If there is magic in your milieu, then they can probably do fire magic pretty well."

If I have my character explain the breathing of fire or anything is "just magic", he'd have to pretty much kick his own ass (and I'm not going into anymore detail than that, so stop trying to make me).

"If you're doing dumb dragons, then I can't (or perhaps would rather not) help you."

Um... ok... taking dragons a wee personal on a somewhat creepy level now... but... ok...

Robyn_Hood:
"Okay, this idea was inspired by the flame-thrower bugs in the Starship Troopers movie. Those bugs sprayed a liquid that was ignited by a static charge (not sure where the charge came from exactly, but it looked cool)."

Yea... they were basically spraying Napalm... fun stuff...

HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Thinking about this. Does it have to be dragon? Why can't it be a large badger?

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Because badgers are too fuzzy. Their hair would catch on fire.

Obviously.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
That's not true Uncle Gerald's butt was hairy and he ignited farts all the time without setting them a fire.

but there was that whole backdraft problem that ended the fart burning...

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
keldon02
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for keldon02   Email keldon02         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been looking at this thread for a while and decided to confess that to me that the concept of methane gas has one basic irremedial flaw. Methane gas is the product of the anerobic digestion of...

plant material.

If dragons are really plant eaters like cows and termites, then ok. But that doesn't make much of a plot.

The only answer to the problem is that meat eating dragons must produce hydrogen gas, perhaps by a simple evolutionary modification of the proton pump cellular process by which we humans produce hydrogen chloride in our stomachs. The dragon would just have to have a way of releasing its hydrogen before it is caught by a chloride ion, perhaps by the use of excess sodium in the process at the cell membrane level. Perhaps this would explain the yellow color of their flame. Perhaps it is the result of contamination by sodium chloride?

This leads to some interesting possible plot twists, such as a method of capturing dragons by leaving out bait which contains a proton pump inhibitor such as Nexium.

[This message has been edited by keldon02 (edited April 07, 2005).]

Posts: 245 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Why can't dragons be omnivourous and still produce methane?
keldon02
Member # 2398

Their teeth appear to all be sharp and pointed. Admittedly there is a common theory that they grind their food in a gizzard like birds do, but if that were true then they would have to have a crop as well. I have never seen any pictures of dragons with crops hanging down.

If they were omnivores they would still have to produce hydrochloric acid lest they risk having the meat portion of their food putrify. The acidity produced might disrupt the methane fermentation process, producing more CO2.

I do seem to recall someone, I believe it was Tolkein, who suggested that dragons were omnivores and ate grain when they coudln't get humans or sheep. This leads to another possibility. What would happen if a dragon developed a taste for grain and his internal plumbing went haywire and produced CO2 and alcohol instead of methane?

RavenStarr
Member # 2327

Um… are you sure about that? From what I recall, methane (C2H4) is just Hydrogen mixed with Carbon… meat doesn’t produce carbon?

{I'm not arguing… I really want to know}

keldon02
Member # 2398

Except for the proton pump process all these are fermentation processes using bacteria, protozoa or yeast. If I recall the critters inside a cow are some of the most complex unicellular organisms in the world, perfectly adapted for the environement of the cow's stomach.

The proton pump is a natural modification of the sodium/potassium cell membrane pump which operates by recycling adenosine triphosphate, a complex energy producing chemical we all have abundance of. The ATP acts as a shuttle for hydrogen ions.

I think that one point here is that if the process were something intrinsic to the dragon such as the proton pump process it would be more robust but if it were fermentation to make methane it would be dependent upon some sort of unicellular critter which might be very finicky about its own environment. Both alcohol and methane fermentation need a relative poverty of available of oxygen for instance.

The trouble with meat if I recall is that it contains a lot of nitrogen, which is easily diverted by other bacteria to produce putrification.

RavenStarr
Member # 2327

wow... all the biochemistry words are hurting my brain... but... this is all very interesting... speak on...
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Likewise for me (just looking for info). [edited because this post was intended to appear a couple of posts earlier ]

I recently saw an episode of Mythbusters (my new favourite show ), that involved looking at the methane production of human waste. I can't remember exactly, but they mentioned something along the lines of only 40 (or was it 60?) percent of humans actually produce methane.

So if humans, which are omnivors, can produce methane as a bio bi-product, why couldn't dragons?

As for the teeth, bears have sharp pointy teeth, but they are omnivors.

Regarding the self-producing alcoholic dragon idea -- that could make for an interesting story. And if the alcohol was potent enough, it would also be flamable.

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited April 07, 2005).]

keldon02
Member # 2398

Sure, humans do produce methane, but we produce it at the other end of the process, leading back to the concept of a rocket-fart propelled dragon.

It gives me a headache thinking about the possibilities, as things get complex pretty fast. (My 30 year old microbiology, cell physiology and biochemistry textbooks contain a collective 3000 pages and these sciences were very primitive 30 years ago compared to our present knowledge.)

Contamination of fermentation process is a risk with any natural environment and could be catastrophic. For instance what would happen if dragons produced ammonia byproduct and the processs got contaminated and produced poisonous hydrazine? Sure his flames would still burn, but he'd poison the environment as well.

All the variabiliies and possibilities in fermentation (like what do the humans produce who don't make methane?) is one of the things which led me to try to identify a theoretically possible purely intrinsic process which would not rely on microbes.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay let's go for body heat, Let's say the dragons are so hot that when they breath out they ignite things. Or perhaps the dragons live in a volcano and keep an amount of molten rock in their gullets to light the flammable substance. Perhaps they have a pilot light that is lit by some outside source, (Perhaps a Human servant, forest fires, or the lava that I mentioned, Lightning is too unreliable but is still a possibility.) What if they don't breath fire but everyone thinks they do?
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Bears' back teeth are not sharp and pointy, any more than dogs' or cats' back teeth are. Dragons in pictures appear to have all sharp teeth, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the ones under discussion couldn't be different.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanius
Member # 2482

- posted      Profile for Lanius   Email Lanius         Edit/Delete Post 
Some critters can produce bioelectricity -- mostly fish, I think -- e.g. electric eels. So your dragon can ignite a flammable gas in the same way some lighters work. If methane is ruled out by dragons being primarily carnivorous, you might be able to incorporate geophagy (eating dirt). Tortoises eat dirt to get essential nutrients. Maybe your dragon can eat swamp mud (swamp gas = methane = produced by bacteria in mud) or have a special, methanogenic bacteria-filled, extra stomach for stashing an occasional vegetarian meal. Maybe the appendix is a vestigial gas bag inherited from a fire-breathing ancestor. Just some odd thoughts.

[This message has been edited by Lanius (edited April 08, 2005).]

Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
jimmyjazz951
Member # 2443

- posted      Profile for jimmyjazz951   Email jimmyjazz951         Edit/Delete Post 
I scanned the whole darn thing to see if anybody thought of it but Lanius beat me to it. Some kind of static charge created by a dragon specific organ in the mouth, throat or sinuses or something.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

They'd still need arc points in order to get a spark.

Well, this conversation has been fascinating but overall it tends to confirm my own opinion that dumb dragons are...well, dumb.

What the heck is the point of doing a dragon that is too dumb to figure out how to breathe fire the way God intended?

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Yeah! Like with fire magics spawned in the depths of hell and breathed into existence by the devil himself.
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was working on City of Silver, I had my dragons spit a stable but extremely flammable substance, kinda like an organic napalm. They were intelligent, and so would wait until night to attack, spitting a circle of mucous around a campsite first, then into the center, or wherever the firepit was. Then they would land outside the camp and wait in the dark for any fire-blind humans that survived to come blundering out to them, and their jaws. Some of the humans would even be pre-cooked!

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited April 08, 2005).]

RavenStarr
Member # 2327

Thank you everyone... I almost feel bad for attempting to shut down the brainstorming earlier... now if only keldon would have thought to speak up sooner

Survivor, you are a really bizarre person... but that's ok, some of the greatest writers were clinically insane...

keldon02
Member # 2398

Sorry Raven, I've been neglecting my writing and internet stuff recently. That is the problem with having too much day job, sometimes you have to unplug for a while. In fact, I'm working this weekend and don't get another reasonable break until next Thursday.

One last thought on the subject: Komodo dragons don't breath fire but they use bacteria as biological weapons. They eat putrid meat, pre-digested so to speak. So they keep a lot of really bad bacteria in their mouths. Their way of killing game is to bite it then let it crawl off into the jungle to die of wound sepsis. They will let it ripen a few days then eat it. Biologists who've had the misfortune of being bitten by a dragon have found that the wounds are incredibly hard to disinfect.

RavenStarr
Member # 2327

Hmmmm... that's an interesting bit of information... I can actually use that... I can actually use it for something that I originally wasn't really going to bother explaining in the story at all... but... I guess, now I will... sweet...
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
What about an electric eel type of deal? Sorry if I'm repeating, I had to skip the last 1/4 of the thread because I'm getting kicked off the computer. Also, you could posit that the dragons host some kind of microbe that creates an especially potent combustible. Like how the Komodo dragon has that bacteria in its mought that produces some kind of neurotoxin? Or Termites have the bacteria that lets them metabolize cellulose?

P.S. Okay, so I must have skipped like half the thread.

Maybe a dragon has to be old enough to eat things it doesn't like in order to make the flame. Like termite infested wood.

[This message has been edited by franc li (edited April 09, 2005).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Actually, my question was serious (if you have an answer, if not, then it was rhetorical). What is the point of having unintelligent dragons?
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

'Here there be Dragons."

To generate a sense of dread. Just like any other force of nature.

That said, I prefer them intelligent as well, as long as they're benevolent, that is.

mikemunsil

Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember an amusing animated film:

http://www.uk.imdb.com/title/tt0083951/

The Flight of Dragons. In this film, the dragons ate limestone which they reacted with acid in their stomach to produce hydrogen; this was then stored in an internal organ, which somehow presumably compressed the hydrogen. They then used this organ somewhat like a fish's swimbladder to control their flight, and expelled the hydrogen across a bioelectric organ in the roof of their mouths to ignite it. Oh, and they had to be careful not to touch it with their tongues, otherwise they got a shock...

Out of interest, you said you didn't like the idea of igniting the gas with platinum... why not?

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

Survivor:
"Actually, my question was serious (if you have an answer, if not, then it was rhetorical). What is the point of having unintelligent dragons?"

Actually, I thought that was supposed to be rhetorical... it seems more bizarre otherwise... but, ok.

That all depends on the level of "intelligence" in which you're referring… I personally don't care for the level of intelligence in a dragon where they're completely in everyway equal or greater than the intelligence of humans (at least not for this particular story), that works for stories such as "Dragon Heart", but not so much for mine... or quite a few other stories.
But then there are actually different levels of intelligence in animals where they actually can figure things out, even comprehend certain levels of speech (like dogs recognizing commands, an ape using sign-language, etc).

"What the heck is the point of doing a dragon that is too dumb to figure out how to breathe fire the way God intended?"

Basically, I took that question as not only completely rhetorical, but not even close to being serious because... um... it's just crazy. As if there's a fixed manner in which "God" intended for a mythical creature to conduct a mythical activity... not even to get religious about it, it's just silly. Does any creature just "figure out" how they do any defensive/offensive activity "the way God intended"? No… everything has a process... and the acknowledgement of that process is significant to my story for many reasons.
It'd be like Superman's heat-vision being explained as being "just magic"... but as any comic book geek can tell you, there's a scientific explanation to not only his heat-vision, but to every power and weakness he possesses (this is actually the case in pretty much all comic book characters).

[This message has been edited by RavenStarr (edited April 11, 2005).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.