Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Corpse Question

Author Topic: Corpse Question
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know just how long it would take a human body to get good and rotten and maggoty if it was laying outside, exposed to the weather? The weather would be spring-like, still chilly at night but full sun in the day.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
It takes 2-3 days for a dead bird to get maggoty.

I think that a human body would take a bit longer because they are bigger.

It would also depend on the wounds. If the body does not have large wounds, then the insects have to go in through the orifices. That would probably take longer.

There is a place outside Knoxville, associated with UT, that is some sort of "body farm". They put bodies out and measure how long it takes for them to rot, under different conditions.

Here's the website:
http://web.utk.edu/~anthrop/index.htm

[This message has been edited by NewsBys (edited May 09, 2005).]

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it would only be a matter of a few days. Temperature, humidity and other factors would affect exactly how many days.

I'm curious, though: What was the body laying? Eggs? Bricks? ;-)

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Three Minute Egg
Member # 2523

- posted      Profile for Three Minute Egg   Email Three Minute Egg         Edit/Delete Post 
I think rotten and maggotty are independent of each other, or loosely associated at best. The body will start to swell with gases and turn black before splitting open - of course, if the victim was slashed open to start with, this may not happen - Check out some of the Matthew Brady pix of the Civil War dead sometime - they are all black and swollen way up. All depends on the sun (temperature), really. Maggots result from fly activity, the warmer it is, the more flies you get. I would think (no expert at body disposal, BTW) that early spring might take longer since lower temps would keep flies down and not warm body as fast.

Just my $.02

Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Having skipped all the posts because I might want to eat again someday . . . I bet this question can be answered by searching Internet. One thing's for sure, given my weak stomach, I won't find out! Good luck!
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.deathonline.net/decomposition/
http://www.deathonline.net/decomposition/decomposition/
http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/forensics/bill_bass/
http://wired-vig.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,60403,00.html

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/crime_safety/deathrow/series/v-printer/story/1235416p-7342067c.html

quote:
The research has yielded a rough formula for determining the time of death that takes environmental variables into account.

They have found that one variable dominates all others -- temperature.

Roughly speaking, bodies decompose from two forces, bacteria from the inside out, and insects from the outside in. The process speeds up as temperatures rise, and slows as temperatures fall.

Marks and his colleagues have devised a unit of measurement they call a "degree day." Twenty-four hours at 80 degrees equals one degree day. The outer layer of skin peels off at two degree days. Internal organs are liquefied at seven degree days or more. Limbs turn black at 14 degree days....Marks also called the lawyers' attention to something else about the photos and autopsy report: the maggots. There was no evidence that any had matured to the next stage of the insect life cycle, the pupa. An insect expert, he told Cooney and Pollard, could provide additional insight into Jenkins' time of death.

"The insects will tell you everything," Marks said recently. "People lie, but insects don't lie."

The life cycles of insects are unvarying. Each species progresses from egg to larva to pupa to adult at a consistent and predictable rate....Blowflies have an extraordinary sense of smell. They locate dead animals within minutes and exploit their biological niche: helping reduce a carcass to a skeleton.

Blowflies wriggle through ripped screens, chinks in houses or doors that don't close snugly in their search for food.

Once they locate a body, blowflies land and immediately lay eggs. The larvae, commonly known as maggots, hatch within a day. After six days, the maggots crawl away to a dry place and turn into pupae. Their outer skin hardens to form a protective casing -- just as a caterpillar creates a cocoon before emerging as a butterfly or moth. The full cycle from egg to adult takes 11 to 14 days -- quicker in high temperatures, slower when it's cooler.

Just some stuff I found while Googling: decomposition "body farm".

You may also want to Google: "Forensic Anthropology".

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

I was rather trying to avoid searching on the internet for the same reason - I'm more interested in setting a length of time this body has been laying ON THE GROUND than I am in seeing the splendorous details of its decomposition. I forgot to mention, there is a massive chest wound which would make a nice breeding ground for maggots. I've got flies. I just needed the time. It sounds to me that a week would be a good length of time to come up with a ripe corpse. And thanks for all the helpful info, everyone! I knew I could count on you!
Three Minute Egg
Member # 2523

- posted      Profile for Three Minute Egg   Email Three Minute Egg         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not trying to send the Barfometer into overdrive, but don't forget about furry critters. Rover and Kitty are likely to come home with strange looks on their faces and full bellys if they find a dead body in the woods out back. A whole week is a long time for a corpse to stay intact without some hungry little beast wandering by.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for RavenStarr   Email RavenStarr         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok... I watch enough CSI and the like to find interest in this question, so I'll take a wack at it.

"I was rather trying to avoid searching on the internet for the same reason - I'm more interested in setting a length of time this body has been laying ON THE GROUND than I am in seeing the splendorous details of its decomposition. I forgot to mention, there is a massive chest wound which would make a nice breeding ground for maggots. I've got flies. I just needed the time. It sounds to me that a week would be a good length of time to come up with a ripe corpse. And thanks for all the helpful info, everyone! I knew I could count on you!"

You say you have flies, do you mean those are the flies that grew from the maggots, or the flies that layed the maggots (that makes major difference in time)? For the matter of both, you must take into consideration the basic life span of a fly (egg, larva, fly, to death), and depending of the type of fly it may be. I refer you to the greatest encyclopedia that the web has yet to concieve: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly

Here's one on Decomposition that should give you some ideas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decompose

Posts: 183 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Eric is the best. That is all.

-Oliver

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I meant to add that none of the pages I linked to have anything gross on them. Most are just articles with pictures of scientists. One has small pictures of decomposing pigs (the second link), but you can't see any detail unless you click on the picture.
Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for RavenStarr   Email RavenStarr         Edit/Delete Post 
mine has a close up shot of a maggot... it's kinda icky... but some say it tastes like chicken...
johnbrown
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for johnbrown   Email johnbrown         Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE this. In what other occupation will people ask these kinds of questions and lead you to such interesting articles?
Posts: 327 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

the Postal service... but for different reasons...
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just delighted to have a thread that's ickier than my tapeworm story.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE this stuff! Call me sick--which I probably would be if I were smelling it rather than just reading about it--but it's fascinating!

And you have to admit that every one of you are probably going to write a story with a dead body in it, and you'd want to be sure you could accurately describe the level of stink for it.

Great thread!

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

I can see I'll have to save all this information should I need it again later. This has been a fruitful discussion, if you consider the fruit to be in various stages of decomposition.

My character appreciates all the help. She has to report her discovery of a dead body, and I needed to know how long the person would have been missing for it to have achieved this particular stage of ripeness.

Thanks for all the useful URLs! I imagine they'll come in handy for other things later on!

JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Interestingly enough I once accurately decribed the swollen condition of the corpse in my story and rec'd several comments that I was racist.

I think funerals and TV have led many people to believe that corpses really dont bloat and rot.

I researched the subject for two years and found many good sites several listed above. But it really didn't sink in untill I saw actual photos. Then it shook not only my constitution but my religious convictions. The best (or worst) depending on your perspective was rotten.com. After seeing the images there I really had to come to terms with the fact that one day my body will decompose- until that point I had some how viewed death and blood as movie effects.

In the USA we have a anti-death culture. What I mean is we show hundreds of murders and deaths on TV. But we hide the fact of death and it's processes from ourselves, acting as though it will never happen to us. We even tell our kids it will never happen to them.

JB Skaggs

[This message has been edited by JBSkaggs (edited May 10, 2005).]

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Some good books on this:

DEATH'S ACRE by Dr. Bill Bass (the guy who started the "body farm") and Jon Jefferson

CORPSE by Jessica Snyder Sachs (about methods for determining the time of death)

DEAD MEN DO TELL TALES by William R. Maples and Michael C. Browning (about Maples experiences in forensics)

Another book that may be of interest, but isn't quite the same topic (it's about what can be determined from fossil hominid bones):

THE WISDOM OF THE BONES by Mark Walker and Pat Shipman

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
The question, as Eric pointed out is a bit ambiguous. But it seems that the answer is probably yes.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
another good book, but perhaps more of an enjoyable read than a reference book, is Stiff, The Curious Life of Human Cadavers, by Mary Roach.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

"Interestingly enough I once accurately decribed the swollen condition of the corpse in my story and rec'd several comments that I was racist."

Racist? That's confusing... how is a bloated corps racist? Maybe I have to read the scene or something... but it's just baffling me right now. Was the guy black? Did they think that you thought he should be bloated because of what color he is? (That confuses me too, but I can't think of anything else)

JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
The corpse was of a black man. I had said that the act of decomposition had swollen his lips into grotesque sausages and his eyes into yellowed eggs.

The commenter said I was using those terms because the corpse was a black man.

I am going by memory and these may not be the exact perfect quotes- but they should be close.

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

One of the topics I briefly explored in a story I'm writing is death rituals. I watched the foreign film "Himalaya" which was filmed entirely in the tibetan language. It hadn't occurred to me until I saw a funeral scene in that movie that all the basic elements have corresponding funeral rites.
EARTH - burial in the ground
FIRE - cremation
WATER - burial at sea
AIR - exposing the body to the elements and feeding it to the birds

I live along the Columbia River in the Pacific Northwest (USA). Here the Native American tribes used to take their dead to Houses of the Dead on the islands in the middle of the river. There the dead would be laid on platforms (AIR burial). The islands eventually became filled with the bones of generations of Indians.

Many of these ancient burial grounds were flooded by the backwaters when the dams were installed on the Columbia river. One of the only burial islands left is Memaloose Island. The word "memaloose" is Chinook for "dead", and Memaloose Island is the only location where a white man was buried with the indians. In the 1800's a local politician who respected the native tribes, Victor Trevitt, asked to be buried with the indians because he said that when the Judgement Day came, he wanted to hide among them so he could sneak into heaven with the honest people. The Indian bones were removed and relocated, but Vic Trevitt's grave marker is still visible.

here's a link to a historic recounting
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~westklic/city.html

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...but that's just because those four elements cover almost the physical world as far as pretechnical societies are concerned. That's why they're called the "basic elements". Even at that, there are a number of funery customs that don't readily conform to the four elements. Cannibalism, for one. Mummification.

Besides, the various funary rites aren't chosen out of a cultural affinity for whatever "element" is used. They're just the most practical way each society could invent to avoid having a lot of dead bodies lying about.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.