Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Flash Challenge #11

Author Topic: Flash Challenge #11
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to Kathleen for allowing us to post these notices on Hatrack.

Flash Challenge #11 is now Open for submissions. You must be registered at Liberty Hall to participate, view the rules, and receive your trigger.

If you are registered, go here: Flash #11 Rules and Trigger

To register, start here: http://www.munsil.net/phpBB2/index.php
then, click on "register" in the upper right corner.

How Liberty Hall’s Flash Challenges Work:

To participate, registration at Liberty Hall is required. If you cannot see the Flash Challenge forums, either you are not registered or you have not logged in. Please register or log in.

Challenges start on Friday mornings and end on Monday mornings. Actual start and finish times might vary each weekend, depending on the Moderator. There will be an announcement made on Liberty Hall when the Flash Challenge is OPEN. You are free to start once we post the announcement.

How to take up the challenge:

1. Ensure you have at least 1.5 hours to do the challenge.
2. Read these rules and the formatting guidelines.
3. Send a request for your Flash Trigger to the given email address.
4. Check your email immediately for the trigger. (see Troubleshooting if you have problems)
5. Begin writing your original story inspired by the trigger. Flash is usually 1000 words or less. You may write more than 1000 words, but others may hold this against you during voting. We will accept any length story. Please write a brand new story, do not edit or rework a story you’ve already written.
6. Email your titled story back to the “reply-to” email address before time runs out. The time limit is noted in your trigger email. It is usually 1.5 hours, but it may be less.

What happens next?

We post all stories anonymously on Monday morning. Your story will be in one of several groups.

On Monday and Tuesday, each group critiques and votes on the stories. We also open up the Guessing Frenzy. You are encouraged to comment in the group(s) that DO NOT contain your entry. However, you may comment in any group. Critiques and comments are open through Friday.

Best of the Best Flash voting starts and ends Wednesday! The Overall Winner of Best Flash chooses the next trigger. This is your chance to get even with all those evil people who forced you to stretch your mind in earlier Flash Challenges. Please begin to consider your trigger if you are a finalist in the Vote Off.

Thursday, we open the “Reveal Thyself” board, and you may optionally reveal which story you wrote.

Friday, all topics are locked and the next Flash Challenge Begins.

Troubleshooting

If you do not receive your flash trigger within 5-10 minutes of request:

1. Check your email; you may need to manually force a send/receive.
2. If you manually forced a send/receive and you still do not have your trigger, contact a moderator or administrator immediately.

Good luck to you all! Please be offended by MaryRobinette (instead of HSO for a change) if things screw up. If it is a wonderful and liberating experience please thank your fellow Hatrackers for providing it. The Challenges would be fairly boring if just a few people joined in!

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I've already flashed and am still hurting from it. Christine...what have you done to us? Have fun, guys.

It's challenging, but I have two other stories that I want to write later from this trigger.

Void
Member # 2567

- posted      Profile for Void           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Please be offended by MaryRobinette (instead of HSO for a change) if things screw up. If it is a wonderful and liberating experience please thank your fellow Hatrackers for providing it.

Hmm...this puts an odd new perspective on being offended.

Posts: 150 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

We have 9 submissions. 2 dropouts.

I may have offended them.

Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Dropouts? You mean, people who requested the trigger and then didn't respond?

Or do you mean people who have sworn off the flash challenge entirely?

At any rate, I submitted. It was a good experience, I'd say. Thanks Christine.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

2 people who requested the trigger and then didn't submit a story. It happens.
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

C'mon people. Flash! We have twelve entries and this time last week we had eighteen. At this rate I'm going to believe that I really am more offensive than HSO.
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
At this rate I'm going to believe that I really am more offensive than HSO.

Impossible. The only reason I'm not more offensive than I am is because of you, O wise voice of conscience.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
MR, be sure and let the "dropouts" know that they can still submit a DQ story to you.

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely. If you wrote it, please submit it. There's more to this than just winning a challenge.

Mary, it's just the summer doldrums.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Void
Member # 2567

I plan to do mine today. I just wanted to wait for a time that would truly be uninterrupted. Not like the last few weeks--yeesh!
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys. It's worth going to look at the Flash #11 instructions just to see MR in her new skin-tight FlashPrime suit.
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just amazed that we have Mary to moderate a challenge that finishes a few short days before she arrives at Boot Camp. Wow, you are a glutton!
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Most of the work is across the weekend, and I or another flashmod can take over while she gets ready to go to bootcamp. That said, it's a lot of work, and MaryRobinette and HSO and Tashajaro and MCameron and Rickfisher and Lord Darkstorm (and any other flashmods whose names I have misplaced) have been very gracious about doing it.

So, we're going to give everyone a break on the 4th of July weekend. There'll still be a challenge, but it will be quite different, and I'll mod it to give everyone else time off.

mike

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Plus I'm wearing the latest SlimLine edition of the HUB with the compact Hatrack Raygun.

Susan, I emailed all of the dropouts--alas.

Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
You planning to wear that to boot camp?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

I wouldn't want to have an unfair advantage on the non-Hatrackers. Wouldn't be sporting.
Void
Member # 2567

Okay done! You officially have another entry.
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

We have eighteen entries.

I'll just mention that if the entries stay this low it will dramatically improve one's chances of winning...

HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I scared a few people off last week with my "critique or die" comments.
Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
That may be possible. I spoke to one person who had time to flash but made the decision not to because she won't have time to critique any stories next week.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

The reading/commenting/voting period is now open.

We have 27 entries this time. The boys outnumber the girls, so there's no excuse this time.

Ahavah
Member # 2599

- posted      Profile for Ahavah   Email Ahavah         Edit/Delete Post 
I meant to flash, but I got called away for a birth over the wkd. (I'm a doula). I WILL make it next wkd, one way or the other.
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Great. We'll see you then. (I trust the birth went well.)

Meanwhile, the Final Voting period is open. Congrats to all the winners.

Ahavah
Member # 2599

- posted      Profile for Ahavah   Email Ahavah         Edit/Delete Post 
It was absolutely fabulous! A very spiritual couple who particularly wanted to use my Reiki & Chaplaincy support. It added a whole 'nother level to the miracle, and Mom & I shared a lovely prayer afterwards. Definitely one I will cherish.

I'm wondering, if I didn't participate in the stories, is it still ok to comment & vote? Or should I just wait for the next round? (Probably too late now, but for future reference). Thanks!

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm pretty sure no one will turn down your comments and votes! Feel free to jump right in.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Absolutely.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.