Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Do you research to see if an idea's been done?

Author Topic: Do you research to see if an idea's been done?
Void
Member # 2567

- posted      Profile for Void           Edit/Delete Post 
I have an idea for a sci-fi story, but I think there's a good chance that it may have been done before. Should I find out if it's already been done? I'd like to submit it somewhere, and I don't want it rejected on the basis that it's been done. I'm not very well read in sci-fi, just Asimov mostly.
Posts: 150 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
What is it? People here are reasonably well-read. We could probably help you out with that if you're comfortable with sharing your idea.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
why don't you post an outline here (somewhere, F&F?) and ask? i wouldn't count myself as an 'expert', but I've been reading scifi/fantasy for 40 years, and might be able to answer. i bet there are others here who have read even more than i.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
We were talking about this over in the "quote from OSC" thread by meenie. I lean to the side of just writing it. I'm not aware of a reference guide that would tell you where to find different themes in sci fi books. There is such a thing for movies, I think it is called the movie hound guide. There is a section on movies about trains, movies about whales, stuff like that.

Or you could give us a general picture and some of the well read people here could let you know.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
Void
Member # 2567

Okay, thanks. It's only an idea, as yet no plot, really. Basically, sometime in the future psychology will be advanced enough to "cure" people of their personality flaws merely by hooking them up to a virtual reality machine that takes them through a special personality altering program.

I thought I could have a couple who had previously agreed that after a year of marriage each one would "change" something in his/her personality for the other's benefit. The procedure is expensive so they can only afford to change one of them (Oo! I just thought of that just now while I was typing. Cool.)

Anyhoo, that's it.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a tv show (Night Gallery?) that had an elderly couple who had pooled their life savings to put one of them through a rejuvenation machine, only to find that if they both couldn't go through it, that they preferred to end their lives together as an old couple.

that's as close as i can remember to this.

mikemunsil

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Void
Member # 2567

Yeah, I remember that. But I think it was the Twilight Zone.
Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing as how it's VR related, I'm sure it's been done to some degree. However, if the focus of the story is on the couple, rather than the technology, I wouldn't worry about it.
Also, I'm imagining some great backfire potential following the procedure. Sounds like a fun idea. I'd just go with it.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Void
Member # 2567

It couldn't be on the technology because I don't know enough to make it sound real if I really had to explain it. Is that what you call soft sci-fi? So yes, it would be focused on the couple.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a few outer limits like this. One was a VR machine that rehabilitated prison inmates. (I think it accidently fried the guy so he was trapped in the VR and he turned it into a criminal maker.) The other one had a psychiatrist that went into the patient's mind (I think it was through VR) and actually fought their deamons. (they did a pretty good job with the deamons.)
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually assume everything has been done. Whether this has or not, it sounds like fun.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Void
Member # 2567

Thank you everyone, you have been most helpful. Where do I go to nominate this board for an award?
Ahavah
Member # 2599

- posted      Profile for Ahavah   Email Ahavah         Edit/Delete Post 
Writer's Digest's annual 101 Best Websites for Writers.

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the important thing is not to copy ideas. You have come up with this idea on your own, so whether or not it has been done before you are likely to have a different perspective on it. And remember, if it's interesting to you, it should be interesting to others.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
There's actually a Victorian story, which I've forgotten the name of, with a similar plot except that it's mesmerism that changes the personalities.

My point being that there are no new ideas under the sun. What's new is the way you tell it.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen similar concepts used, usually a prisoner who has to get a mind wipe, etc. I don't think it has been overdone though, so you should be good.

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
The idea sounds good to me. Can't wait to see it.
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Void
Member # 2567

I better get to work, then!
SteeleGregory
Member # 2049

- posted      Profile for SteeleGregory   Email SteeleGregory         Edit/Delete Post 
Your idea reminds me of "A Clockwork Orange." I wouldn't let that worry you though, there's an infinite number of possible stories in a single idea.
Posts: 103 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Void
Member # 2567

You know, I never did see that movie since the subject matter repulsed me. However, I do remember reading a MAD Magazine parody of it way back when.
bladeofwords
Member # 2132

- posted      Profile for bladeofwords   Email bladeofwords         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the book and I must admit, when people started talking about prisoner rehabilitation that was my first thought. I wouldn't worry about your story following those lines. I say go for it.

By the way, that is one hard read, I struggled through the entire thing, but I think it was worth it in the end.

Jon

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Void
Member # 2567

Didn't they use negative reinforcement to change the prisoners behavior, though? My method would be quite different, having more to do with rewriting brain patterns (and don't ask me to explain that, it just sounded good). Using the virtually reality program would be like experiencing an intense dream. The client or patient would have the choice of being able to remember the dream or not.
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
this idea sounds quite intriguing, and i'd say it sounds about as original as they get.
Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
The key-word is probably "psychotronics". It had some popularity in a number of stories written in the seventies, I think. As MR mentions, "mesmerism" has been around since the dawn of SF.

The concept of a synthesized experience that alters the subject's subsequent behavior has more recently been done horribly in Total Recall and pathetically in The Bumblebee Flys Anyway. Having it implanted as a suppressed memory which the subject doesn't consciously remember has been done too, but almost always as a secondary device, almost a throwaway. I think that's because usually by the time writers get to that point in evolving the idea they look around and realize just how much it's been done before.

That doesn't mean that you can't do it. But if you're thinking that this "hot new concept" is going to sell the story, think again. I'm a little worried that you haven't read Asimov long enough if you haven't seen this in one of their stories yet. Still, it's a perfectly good concept. That's why it keeps getting used.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Void
Member # 2567

Thanks for the word. Now I know what to call it, and how to search for it.

My experience with Asimov has been the singular Isaac, and most of that was the Foundation series, first 3 books. I've read some short stories from various authors, but they have mostly been few and far between. Oh, and I read Ender's Game and most of the related novels. I've lately dipped into War of the Worlds by grandpappy Wells.

The aim is not to sell a hot new concept, but to not beat an old dead one. I don't see any point in writing something so hashed and rehashed that an editor gets nauseated by looking at it.

[This message has been edited by Void (edited June 17, 2005).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.