Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Question about two stories in WoTF vol. XX

Author Topic: Question about two stories in WoTF vol. XX
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

- posted      Profile for cklabyrinth           Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone read the Writers of the Future anthology, volume XX?

I've read two stories so far, Monkey See, Monkey Deduce and the Plastic Soul of the note. I'm having a hard time determining which MICE quotient part each of these stories falls under.

It seems to me as though they are each character stories, but I have a hard time diagnosing idea stories, so they may be that as well. I'm reading Bottomless at the moment, and it seems much like a character story as well.

-ck

Posts: 179 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
rustafarianblackpolarbear
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for rustafarianblackpolarbear   Email rustafarianblackpolarbear         Edit/Delete Post 
if it's an idea story, it's as simple as there being a mystery in the precipitating incident that the protagonist is either forced or compelled to figure out. In a character story on the other hand, the protagonist(s) is actually trying to correct their own place in life. This can happen in an idea story too but it usually comes before of after the big climax at or near the end of the story.
I no expert on the matter but I hope that helps.

Posts: 136 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
rustafarianblackpolarbear
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for rustafarianblackpolarbear   Email rustafarianblackpolarbear         Edit/Delete Post 
in my novel, which i'm just starting, OSC has recoomended having two connecting story plots. When I added the second I noticed it's an idea story sort of thread, but I'm not sure that counts. The original one on the other hand is definitely character. I have only worked this out after coming up with the second so I'm not sure what type of story mine is.

If, within a week, I can finish my first chapter, and anyone would like to read it please email me.

My name is mitch and email is:
mighty_mitch8@hotmail.com

Posts: 136 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a while since I read those stories, but here are my thoughts on their MICE quotient.

First of all, it's important to remember that OSC's MICE framework is intended to help writers figure out where to begin and end the story so it leaves the reader satisfied. That doesn't mean every story will begin and end the way the MICE formula recommends.

So when analyzing a story using MICE, rather than writing one, often there won't be a clear-cut answer. Most stories have elements of all four kinds of stories within them, and so it may be possible to force a particular story into more than one category.

Therefore, I think the value of MICE in analyzing a story is not to figure out which one category to put it in. Rather, you should look at what the author did, if anything, within the four categories, and decide whether it was effective or not. Also, look at the beginning and ending and see if they fit together. Decide if the ending was satisfying -- and if not, why not.

That said, I'd say "Monkey See, Monkey Deduce" has strong elements of both character and idea stories. "The Plastic Soul of a Note" I think was mainly a character story. "Bottomless" I see as a milieu story.

(By the way, you can see a clearer, full-color version of the illustration for "Monkey See, Monkey Deduce" here.)

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

Thanks for the advice, both of you. Eric, I have yet to get around to reading your story, but I'm sure it's great. It would have to be to be a finalist. I read the Plastic Soul of a Note after Monkey See, Monkey Deduce, and I thought it was a really, really good story.

Bottomless, though, is quite confusing. I'm having a hard time visualizing and figuring out just what the Sun Thread is.

And using your method, Eric, I think I see now how the MICE quotient fits in with each story I've read so far. Thanks.

-ck

cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

Also, thanks for the link to the illustration of Monkey See, Monkey Deduce. The print in the mass market paperback is dismal.

I checked your website, also, and any site with a Sports Night quote deserves to be bookmarked in my book. And so it is. :>

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.