Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Remember me as a writer who...

Author Topic: Remember me as a writer who...
Void
Member # 2567

- posted      Profile for Void           Edit/Delete Post 
How would you like to be remembered as a writer? Inventor of a new genre? Character king? Master of mystery?

I'm still finding out what I do best, as far as genre. I'm better at dialogue than anything else in writing. (It's not easy to write a story with dialogue only, but I have done it.) I hope, though, to be remembered as a writer who enlightened while she entertained.

[This message has been edited by Void (edited June 21, 2005).]

Posts: 150 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to be remembered as a writer who made you think. I think this one of the key differences between a good book and a great book. I want to write great books.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gingivere
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Gingivere   Email Gingivere         Edit/Delete Post 
As someone who wrote some really good (and hopefully memorable) stories/books.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to be remembered as a Storyteller. When I say that, I mean that I want to reach a point where when a person picks up my story, it feels like I'm talking to them rather than just reading my words. I've read all my life (learned at age two, no joke) and come across many great authors, but I've only had the feeling like I'm actually listening to them a handful of times. If I can do that, I'll die happy.
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
...was inordinately, nay exceptionally, rich?

I'd like to be remembered as someone whose prose conveyed a real sense of place, someone whose milieux were absorbing, as real as the everyday world in which we spend our days. And who still managed to write exciting stories, that touched on serious points of politics, religion, philosophy and morality without being heavy, or preachy, or tedious.

I have a suspicion this may be a touch over-optimistic.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
memorable twists and endings

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
A writer that makes her characters, the world they inhabit, and the emotions of the tale linger in the mind of the reader. I want to haunt people. Like I was, and still am at times, haunted by my favorite writers.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
I want every single reader of my writing to never forget the story, to have it permanently change their perception forever.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
I just want my stuff to be engaging. I wouldn't mind if my readers remembered nothing about my stories other than that they enjoyed them.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to be in print after I die. I want people to read my books, and say of things they read in them, I want *that* in my life. I want to lead people to question themselves. And I want people to let down their barriers against Christ, because of something I said, and let Him in.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Will, I'd be very interested in hearing more about how you see the intersection between fiction and faith, if you'd like to talk about that further.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Me? I'd like to be remembered as having a sense of humour.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited June 22, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue_Rabbit
Member # 2634

- posted      Profile for Blue_Rabbit   Email Blue_Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to be in print. Dot.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
RaymondJohn34
Member # 2595

- posted      Profile for RaymondJohn34   Email RaymondJohn34         Edit/Delete Post 
....Just a writer that makes the reader say:
"...wow.."
Breathe a little.
Says "...wow," again..
Smiles to themselves.
Says "...wow," again...
Says:
"That was coolest story..."

Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
I want to be slightly overshadowed by my loved and realistic characters.
Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, Beth. I don't think I have anything really deep to say, but here it is: people have barriers to things they don't want to think about. If we encounter people who violate these barriers -- say, someone who belongs to a group we dislike but doesn't have the awful attributes we like to attribute to them -- we may not notice, if we don't get to know them well, or if we block off that part of them -- something like, "Yes, I like him, but we don't talk about ____."

A liberal friend of mine (I'm libertarian), well, we can't talk politics, because he tells me I ask him questions to make him look stupid. We don't talk religion, because he's got this defense that everything depends on interpretation, so it's all too slippery to talk about. OTOH, his beliefs about Bush are not subject to interpretation, they're just right. Obviously I'm showing my own biases here --!

Fiction, however, is in one way a more intimate experience. It's less intimate because the characters aren't real and anyway are just on a page, but it's more because you can really get into the thoughts of the other. I want to show my readers that being Christian is not synonymous with being despicable, idiotic, eager to re-enact the Inquisition, etc. I also write about people in other religions or groups, and I also want to show that _their_ POV's are not (usually) despicable, idiotic, etc. If these barriers come down and minds are open, I believe that the truth will often out -- and since I believe in Christ, I think that means people will come face to face with Him, and make a decision rather than avoiding one. May the best belief win!

Obviously this is not the main thing I think about when I'm writing; I think about what would be fun, or exciting, or scary, and what characters would be likeable or interesting. My WIP has 1 Christian among 6 major characters, and she doesn't think about God much when she's on-screen. Maybe I'm being a coward. But in this case I was trying for openness not toward Christians but toward American Indians -- people don't hate them much, I think, but they think of their beliefs as quaint and outdated and not worth considering -- and you can't do everything at once.

I do note that I haven't said a thing about presenting God himself in fiction. I think showing God can be too much for a nonbeliever, and anyway, it's hard to write for someone who already knows the ending. I put a smiley, but it's a real difficulty. I've put him in 1 story, and God had to be coy to keep from spoiling it.

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited June 22, 2005).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to be remembered as the man who changed the entire face of the english language by inventing 63 more letters.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Whitney
Member # 2176

- posted      Profile for Whitney   Email Whitney         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to be remembered as a writer who wrote stories that people enjoyed reading and couldn't wait for the next one to read.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
You know...this is a really hard question for me.

I'm not sure that I want to be remembered as a writer. I mean, I want to be a writer now, of course. And I don't want to be remembered as anything else. I guess the problem is that I would prefer to not be remembered. It always...I always feel uncomfortable when people remember me.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Thieftess
Member # 1683

- posted      Profile for Thieftess   Email Thieftess         Edit/Delete Post 
I want people to constantly wonder what I'm going to do next.
(Neil Gaiman is my hero...)

~Alethea

Posts: 280 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Void
Member # 2567

- posted      Profile for Void           Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor--would it make a difference if the question was rephrased as: What would you like to be known for as a writer?

Posts: 150 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I wish to be known as a writer who was published and sold lots of books so she could retire comfortably on the income they brought in...
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always said that I don't want to be the guy that wrote Carrie. I want to be the guy that wrote Robin Hood, The Three Musketeers or Don Quixote. I want to be remembered for the work that I've left behind.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike C
Member # 2363

- posted      Profile for Mike C   Email Mike C         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather be paid now than remembered later.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shendülféa
Member # 2408

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
You know those books you had to read in high school? And do you remember having to analyze the living daylights out of them just to figure out what the theme was? Well, those are the types of books I want to write and be remembered for--but not just that. I want to write books that will be a part of the high school curriculum (in the very far and distant future) but also will be entertaining to read, unlike the countless books we had to read that were just exceedingly dull. That's not to say they were all boring. By no means! But we can't keep analyzing the same classics forever, you know. Change is good!

If not that, I wish to be remembered for writing stories that made people thing after they read them.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, to put it simply: I'd like to write the kind of stories that made me want to become a writer in the first place. I don't care if people remember my name, just the impact that my words had on their imagination.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's more along what I'd have to say. I rather like the idea of being the secret identity of an otherwise famous person. Or better yet, the secret identity of a person already known only to a select group, mainly selected by their common bond to my other--also secret--identity.

You know, like a super villian. Only not one that gets defeated by the hero because of some stupid egomania thing. The one that the hero never finds out about, ever, even after he loses everything and gets run over by a milk truck on his way home from the local whorehouse. Never.

No specific hero was killed in the ignominious manner described above. At least, not by me

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.