Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Writers of the Future contest: How Important?

Author Topic: Writers of the Future contest: How Important?
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Important enough to cease submitting to top markets because one might become ineligible for WotF?

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
For the uninformed among us, of which I am certainly not one, would you be so kind as to provide an explanation for your undefined term, particularly because you're starting the thread :P?
Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
> Important enough to cease submitting to
> top markets because one might become
> ineligible for WotF?

No. Since there's no guarantee that you'll ever win WOTF, to put your writing career on hold trying to win it does not make sense. If you sell enough to become ineligible for WOTF, you'll have a good start on your career anyway.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
WOTF = Writers of the Future contest. See http://www.writersofthefuture.com/.

[This message has been edited by EricJamesStone (edited June 27, 2005).]

shadowynd
Member # 2077

Phanto, you could have done just what EJS did, if you felt my post was insufficient. Next time try remedying rather than just criticizing.

Thanks, Eric!

Susan

AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
Always remember the story of Robert Heinlein. He wrote his first story for a SF writing contest. But instead of entering, he submitted it directly to a professional magazine. The rest is history.

WotF is a great contest, and will pay more than just about any anthology. Anyone who can enter it should. But as Eric pointed out, there is no guarantee of winning, and it is not the only way to start a career. In the end, it is only a first step among many paths.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I could edit the topic title so that it says Writer of the Future instead of WotF, if you like.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

Thank you, Kathleen, that would be wonderful! I'm still only working on half a brain these days and never stopped to think that some of our newer members might not know what WotF is.

Susan

abby
Member # 2681

- posted      Profile for abby   Email abby         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a short story I should polish up and send in. Thanks for the link. Right now, I am stuck on my novel, and need a break while waiting for the response from the quesry to the publisher.

Have a great day

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Just don't edit the title to "WtF." That would be another subject entirely.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a couple of years old, but still has some good info in it, I think.

http://www.hauntedcomputer.com/ghostwr13.htm

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Dave Wolverton, a.k.a. David Farland if I am not mistaken.
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Dave writes under both names (or rather, he did). But Dave isn't the slush reader over there anymore. Now it's KD Wentworth.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
shadowynd, I doubt Phanto was critizing you with a request for greater clarity. I know the feeling. Not only am I fairly new to the board, I'm very new to the publishing game. I've been writing for years, but have never before explored submitting my stuff for publication in the book or magazine market. All the acronyms and abbreviations are confusing to those of us unfamiliar with the industry. I had to read between the lines to figure out what POV meant, what WoTF meant, and all the rest of the jargon that is tossed around so effortlessly.

Just remember that some of have to ask questions like this simply because we are confused.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I just submitted my first story to WotF. Actually, it is technically my first submission ever, since my first sale happened when I hadn't intentionally subbed the story to a market. Whoo. I'm nervous but excited, and am already glad it is out of the way so I can keep working on other stuff.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
autumnmuse, which one did you send?
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I ended up going with a new-and-improved (I hope) version of Starbursts. Here goes nothing!
Shendülféa
Member # 2408

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
I was planning to send one of my stories to WotF...once I get it all polished.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Polish away, Shendi! Be sure not to futz with it too much, though. And then get it out and something new started!!
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 2444

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
I've thought about submitting to this contest myself, but man I cannot stand L. Ron Hubbard or the Church of Scamentology.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

Luckily, from what I've heard, no one even mentions Scientology and though L. Ron Hubbard is of course talked about, he isn't the only focus. The famous authors who judge the finalists include people like Anne McCaffrey and Orson Scott Card, so I wouldn't worry too much about the wierdness factor. If I thought it was a big issue I wouldn't submit either.
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

Autumnmuse is correct. If you manage to win and go to the workshop, they will not try to convert you to Scientology. I left the workshop as ignorant about Scientology doctrine as I was going in.

As for L. Ron Hubbard, you'll read some of the advice he wrote about writing, and it seemed like very good advice to me. You'll also spend maybe an hour hearing about his life, and it was quite an interesting life even if you don't have a taste for his fiction or his religion.

But if you can't stand that in exchange for a cash prize, publication of your story in a widely read anthology, payment for your story in addition to the prize, and being flown out to Hollywood and put up in a hotel for a week while attending a workshop taught by some big names in science fiction and fantasy, it's your decision.

shadowynd
Member # 2077

EJS has such a way with words. *G*

Best of luck to all of you that have entered this quarter! I hope to number among the entrants for next quarter, myself.

Susan

Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Eric: My wife was worried that I'd come back from Boot Camp as a mormon. I told her that she's been dragging me to Catholic mass for twelve years and I haven't converted. I have no worries even if they DID try to brainwash the winners. Winners of that contest are not likely to be weak-willed.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that there's any correlation between the ability to write a good story and the ability to resist being brainwashed. For all I know, everyone that's ever been associated with the Writers of the Future contest is secretly a Scientologist. As long as it's a secret from them too, I don't have a problem with that
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Other than Hubbard founding WOTF and Scientology, what are exactly the connections of WOTF to Scientology? Are the awards or writing seminars held at Scientology facilities?

Personally, after reading a few Hubbard novels, I decided not to read them anymore. He was just too sexually explicit for my tastes. Thus I was amazed to later learn he founded a religion.

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

Last year, the writing workshop was conducted mostly at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, which is, as far as I know, not connected with the Church of Scientology. It is, however, located only a short walk from the offices of Author Services, Inc., the company that runs the contest and represents the literary, theatrical and musical works of L. Ron Hubbard. While I believe that many (maybe even most or all) on the staff of Author Services are Scientologists, there is no reference to Scientology on the company website and during the tour of the offices and library Scientology was not mentioned.

The awards ceremony was held at the Beverly Hills Hotel, which is not, as far as I know, connected to the Church of Scientology.

We did have a catered dinner one evening on the roof of the Manor Hotel, which is owned by the Church of Scientology. John Travolta stopped by and congratulated us.

As far as I can tell, the organizers of the contest and workshop are genuinely trying to fulfill the purpose of the contest: to find new authors and help them. I think they work hard to keep that separate from the Church of Scientology, so as to not impair that purpose with the controversy surrounding their religion.

Survivor
Member # 213

By the way, in case you didn't get that already, Scientology was an early leader among the "New Age" religions. Thus, traditional values such as chastity and such aren't actually part of the religion.

Besides, have you ever read the Bible?

On a completely unrelated topic, why don't we have a "so gross I'm puking my guts out" smilely?

My own thought is that Scientology is probably no more harmful than people worshipping crystals or butterflies or whatever. It's probably not even any more expensive, necessarily. I don't know why it's so contraversial, other than it's higher profile and the fact that it doesn't claim any forebears the way most later "New Age" religions did.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

<Besides, have you ever read the Bible?>

Three times from cover to cover, I would say four of five but I don't count those times as my ADD mind kept drifting off.

While the Bible is frank and unprudish, it is not always the same as explicit or gratuitous.

But that is an interesting insight of Hubbard that I didn't think of. I'm not passing a judgement, for I know next to nothing about it, just an observation, from what I saw on a segment on TV, the philosophy is that people value what they pay for, and the more a person pays, the more they benefit from thier pratices. This struck me as the opposite of "take life's waters free".

Survivor
Member # 213

I don't know, the theme of sacrifice and consecration and so forth is a lot more prevalent in the Bible than anything about getting stuff free.

Hubbard's philosophy isn't necessarily opposite, it's simply more crass and materialistic. That may be why it's so well suited to Hollywood

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.