Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Pen Names (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pen Names
Alexis
Member # 2687

- posted      Profile for Alexis           Edit/Delete Post 
Pseudonyms, nom de plumes...what do you all think of them? When is it appropriate (if ever) to use one - if you have a boring or difficult name? Is it ever appropriate to assume another gender through your pen name? How effective are pen names at actually hiding a writer's identity?
Have any of you used pen names to publish work? What were your experiences?
Is there a really cool name you've always wanted to use? (or if you had to use a pen name, what would it be?)

Edit: Just realized that this has been brought up before, but that was more than a year ago and I post this in the hopes of fresh input.

[This message has been edited by Alexis (edited June 29, 2005).]

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see anything wrong with them, for any reason except hiding from the law! I use a pen name because I don't think "Briggs" sounds very poetic. But I don't want a secret identity.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
My real last name puts me comfortably close to Niven and Norton, so why use anything else?

I love Harlan Ellison's pen name Cordwainer Bird, which he uses only when somebody pisses him off, thereby flipping them the bird. Only from Ellison, that.

Edited to correct spelling.

[This message has been edited by Spaceman (edited July 07, 2005).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Thieftess
Member # 1683

- posted      Profile for Thieftess   Email Thieftess         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've thought about it...based on the fact that my first contract was for an alphabet book.

Assuming someday I want to write horror or romance with any explicit scenes (which is not entirely out of the question...it was more out of the question for a dark fantacist to write an ABC book!) then I might consider a pseudonym.

However, I'm also hoping that I just get SO much stuff out there that I can be like Neil Gaiman and do whatever I want.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Alethea

Posts: 280 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm considering a pen name because my last name begins with V, which would put my books WAY at the end and the bottom of the genre section.
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
You will be right before me! I'm a W.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but think of all those future authors with end-of-the-alphabet names who will have your big names to piggy-back off of!

"Whoa, Dakota's at the end here! I'm glad my name starts with a V so I'll get some of the attention she draws!"

[This message has been edited by Jeraliey (edited June 30, 2005).]

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Thieftess
Member # 1683

- posted      Profile for Thieftess   Email Thieftess         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't consider where you'll be...consider who you'll be next to.

Vivian van Velde...Vernor & Joan D. Vinge...Kurt Vonnegut (depending on how things are shelved) -- the V's ain't so shabby.

Posts: 280 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I read it is advantagous for the writer's name to be at either end of the alphabet. That's where readers would browse first. In that case with a name like "Owens" that unfortuntely puts me smack dab in the middle...
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
When I went to a writer's workshop in April, Dennis Danvers had this to say:

quote:
On pen names:
Mr. Danvers pointed out a less obvious advantage to pen names.
He is publishing his next novel under the name Robert Sydney. He said that some large chain bookstores stock new authors at a greater volume then authors whose last book only made a small number of sales.
He was advised by his agent that the chain store’s computer system tries to estimate the number of books to order, by the number the author last sold.
His first few novels had a smaller reader base. This caused his last book to not be adequately stocked in Richmond bookstores, despite his last book being about Richmond, by a Richmonder and had large demand from Richmond readers.
FYI - I can attest to the fact that his latest book was hard to find, I bought it from Amazon.

Now, after Mr. Danvers pointed it out, I can see what he meant.
I have run into this in trying to find Autumn Bridge by TAKASHI MATSUOKA. I liked his first book (Cloud of Sparrows) a lot. Barnes and Nobles overstocked it and had to put the extras on clearance. But now I can't find his second book at any bookstore. I had to order it from Amazon.

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I originally developed my pen name as my character name in a work of autobiographical fiction. But then I changed the name of the character, and I like the pen name. Also, I want to make it semi-difficult for people to stalk me. So my book is about Florence written by Franc (short for Frances), which isn't my real name either.

Something I realized after choosing my pen name: my real middle name is generally considered to be unpronounceable, so for years when giving my name to clerks I would say my middle initial was "F, as in Frank".

My last name- I wanted to have a chinese last name because I think my ethnicity will always be a selling point (if I ever get around to submitting something.) Li is a translation of my real last name. My married name, though, and not my born name. It was also my Grandmother's surname.

So, that's probably why they grew on me. I mean, I toyed with Leigh Yuan for a while, but that one didn't stick.

As for my real name- it is one that fell out of favor due to the misfortunes of some very famous people. And my born surname was mocked mercilessly by my Latin teacher whenever I was absent in 8th grade. And people pronounce it wrong a lot.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexis
Member # 2687

- posted      Profile for Alexis           Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting. I'd never considered using a pen name for shelf-location purposes. It would be funny if every writer used a pen name that began with A -- we might see a bunch of names like "Abel Aaronson" or something. My name is hyphonated, and I fear that readers, like my teachers and peers, might assume my mother (or me when I'm older, if I'm unmarried) combined names. The hyphon is in fact the result long story involving two guys and an Indian princess that dates back to the civil war. So yeah, I might use a pen name eventually.

[This message has been edited by Alexis (edited June 30, 2005).]

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
I've considered trying to make up a pen name for myself for two reasons: First, alphabetical order. My last name is Patridge, that's just about as middle of the shelf as you can get. Second, the name itself. Patridge and Partridge are too much alike, and I don't want a reader to go looking for a book written by Partridge, when I'm actually Patridge.

The problem is that I still want to keep my initials the same in my pen name as they are in my real name. A L P. I like those initials

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

You could always pen under the name Partridge.
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
My real name lands me just a bit before Grisham, so I think I'll stick with it (though I suppose it depends what I publish first... If it's a work that will permanently park me in the sf/fantasy section, then goodye, John G. I write a fairly broad spectrum of genres, though, including non fiction)
Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
That's one thing I love about my married name. My last name growing up was a rare Italian name, Marmaro, which would put me in the middle of the alphabet and everyone would pronounce it wrong. Although I have to say quite a few of my favorite authors have 'M' names, so that didn't bother me too much. But my married name is Dryden, and of course John Dryden was a famous author and poet, so it seems apropos. I love the way Dryden sounds. It reminds me of 'dryad'--a wood nymph.

So I'm not going to use a pen name, but I will use my first initial instead of the whole name, then my real middle and last name.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
cicero
Member # 1602

- posted      Profile for cicero           Edit/Delete Post 
I've often been told that my real name would be well-suited to science fiction writing (my middle name is Orion, and last name places me nearly adjacent to Arthur C. Clarke), but don't feel particularly comfortable using an extended name.

As an alternative, I've considered S. A. Wright (Sophie Arete Wright), which is a combination of the alternate name my parents chose (were I female) and my grandmother's last name.

Time will tell, I suppose . . .

[This message has been edited by cicero (edited July 05, 2005).]

Posts: 26 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
KatFeete
Member # 2161

- posted      Profile for KatFeete   Email KatFeete         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a couple of reasons to publish under a pen name:

1) Being nice to your readers. Wen Spencer, for example, publishes under her maiden name because she married a Pole and would like us all to be able to spell and pronounce her name.

2) Writing in more than one genre. Agents and publishers often want a writer to do different genres under different names to avoid confusion and problems (an sf writer trying to publish as mainstream may face the "he writes that stuff with spaceships, I don't read that" problem, for example, and big stores like Barnes and Noble will frequently file books where they've decided that author belongs regardless of the book.) Some writers are more transparent than others. Iain Banks writes mainstream as Iain M. Banks, which fools the B&N computers and no one else.

3) Restarting a "dead" career. A writer whose books haven't sold well gets blacklisted from the big stores' computers and thus from the publishers. Changing the name fixes this and gets rid of what a writer I know calls the "eau de failure". Publishers are, incidentally, usually a willing partner to such deceptions.

4) Freedom. Though this is less a problem now, getting published freely was the reason many 19th century women published as "anonymous" or, like George Eliot, under a male psuedonym. It's probably the reason Andre Norton published under an androgenous psuedonym (her real name was Alice) and the reason another Alice not only published under the name James Tiptree Jr. but deliberately concealed her identity for many years. Many people have speculated that Paul Linebarger, who published under several psuedonyms (most notably Cordwainer Smith) was afraid that the government would interfere with his writing if they knew about it; his "real" job was as a US diplomat. Tiptree, who held a job at the Pentagon, may have had similar fears.

More importantly, both of those writers were deeply private people; I've seen it suggested that the creation of a public persona was important to them for psychological reasons, that another's name gave them the freedom to write inside. Neither ever published any stories under their real names. This is perhaps the hardest to explain and easiest to accept reason for a pen name.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

I was talking to someone about my name and it's hapless position in alphabetical order and (as far as I was aware) lack of existing famous authors within the genre of Science Fiction who I would be close to on the bookshelf, and they told me that there ARE many famous "P" names in Science Fiction... They offered one name, but I can't remember what it was... Any of you guys know any famous "P" names in SF?
Spaceman
Member # 9240

Frederick Pohl and Jerry Pournell to name two.
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I'm kind of surprised that having a Polish last name is considered being unkind to your readers.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC picked mine because I though my last name "Hanson" was too dull and too close to the middle of the alphabet. My first name is Oliver and I like it just fine. He asked me what my middle name was and I responded, "Dale" and he smiled and said, that's it.

So, I've been "Oliver Dale" ever since. Has much more cadence, I think, the last name is short enough that it would be large on the front cover such that you could see it in the bookstore at a distance, and it's near the top shelf.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahavah
Member # 2599

- posted      Profile for Ahavah   Email Ahavah         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad someone started this thread!

I've contemplated creating a pen name, but I don't really know how to go about doing it well. My last name seems difficult for most people, plus I'm one of those folks who eventually hopes to genre-cross. I'm also looking into doing magazine articles, and I think I'd like a different name for that than for my fiction, but I'd probably use my real name for the mags.

I did used to write severely stoopid parodies, etc., back in high school under the name of my alter-ego, Guiseppe D. Turtle. I don't think that's a good professional name, though. I've been stuck on how to pick a good one that flows properly.

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
My current plan is to use all three of my names, the same way I do for stage. Mary Robinette Kowal. I might hyphenate Mary-Robinette because I get tired of people thinking it's my maiden name. I might also respell the last name to "Cowall" in an effort get people to pronounce it correctly. (Think Kowalski, without the ski)

I came up with a pen name based on my maiden name, Harrison, way back in high school. I say I came up with it, but somehow people seemed to mishear Mary Harrison as Marian Harris. I sort of like Marian Harris and if I ever have a publisher suggest that I need to use a psuedonym for some reason, that's the one I'll pick first. But until I have an agent or publisher who suggests that, and gives me reasons why, I'll stick with my own name.

Oh, Avahah? Guiseppe D. Turtle isn't any less professional than "Lemony Snicket."

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited July 07, 2005).]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

I have a short name and good neighbors on the bookshelf. The only thing I might do is immitate Harlan Ellison and use a pen name if somebody gets me upset. So, if you ever see Lester Flippit, that'll be me.
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I was mulling the pen name issue over and thought it would be fun to have something that looks normal when you read it, but when you say it aloud you pick up the joke... like Bette Onnett.

I don't MIND my real surname of BUCE and since I do genealogy it would be sorta fun to troll for relatives if I ever make it to the big time. But I get sooo annoyed that people just can't seem to understand that yes, I DO know how to spell my own last name. It is NOT "Bruce" with an "R" in it. It's like people think I surely must have been mistaken when I wrote my name out for them.

Ahh well. I had the same problems when I was married and had the more common last name of Elwood. THAT threw people off, too.

Since my WIP is co-authored with a friend, we may choose to pick a single pen name. Or we could both take pen names. Hmm... I dunno. I wasn't going to worry about it until I am ready to submit the WIP to a publisher.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

I might just keep the "P" then. Oh, and Spaceman, the name "Pohl" was the one she gave me... Once I saw it, I remembered it. Heh.

Still need to come up with a pen name though that I could agree with... I don't want to be publishing as Andrew L. Patridge or Andrew Lehi Patridge or Al Partridge or anything else that is really long like that...

Hmm... now that I think about it, I use the name "Drew Lee" on the Undernet IRC network... Maybe I could see myself publishing under that. What do the "L" names look like in SF?

autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Le Guin, L'Engle. Don't forget you'll be next to M as well, which means you've got McCaffrey, McKillip, McKinley. Interestingly, those are all women. Huh.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
There is someone out there named Katherine Woodbury who has been published a few times in small press publications.

And it drives me a little crazy when someone congratulates me on one of her publications.

I'd actually rather not use a pen name, but I may have to.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL. I actually came across that name (in the Leading Edge, I think) and wondered if it was you.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I rest my case.
dpatridge
Member # 2208

Heh. Poor KDW. I guess having names close to other people might not always be all that great XD

I guess the "best" would be to be close to someone famous, but not so close as to make it hard to tell the difference.

In KDW's case, this other person isn't famous, but she has been getting published, and people have been getting her confused with KDW...

Ick. I just realized there's an actor that uses the screen name Drew Lee... Back to the drawing board for me.

Spaceman
Member # 9240

Woodbury Dalton sounds like a great pen name.
Shendülféa
Member # 2408

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd use a penname because my real name doesn't sound like a fantasy author's name. :/ My problem is that I can't think of a good name. :?
Posts: 202 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

quote:
Woodbury Dalton sounds like a great pen name.

Hmm.

dpatridge
Member # 2208

I'm having the same problem Shen. Maybe I could try to help you and you could try to help me.

If your screen name here wasn't a tongue twister I would think it'd sound pretty neat as a pen name, personally.

Anyways... I don't know you very well in order to come up with your pen name!

Well, at least you aren't alone with wanting a pen name but not being able to come up with one.

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
I figure I'll just go with the classic female-scifi-writers thing: My first two initials with my last name. It's not the most poetic name, but I like it.

Although the first name/middle name idea is kinda cool. I love my middle name.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
How about "Dalton Woodbury" for Kathleen?

I'd suggest a nickname version of Kathleen, like Katie... but if you feel the same way about being called Katie that I feel about being called Susie, it wouldn't work.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shendülféa
Member # 2408

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm having the same problem Shen. Maybe I could try to help you and you could try to help me.
If your screen name here wasn't a tongue twister I would think it'd sound pretty neat as a pen name, personally.

Anyways... I don't know you very well in order to come up with your pen name!

Well, at least you aren't alone with wanting a pen name but not being able to come up with one.

Hmm...I never thought to use my screen name. Then again, it's the name of one of the characters in one of my novels--a minor character, though, who dies within a few paragraphs. I just like the name, so that's why I use it.

When I was trying to come up with some pen names, I decided that perhaps it should be something that relates to the major themes that are usually present in most of my stories. What I mean is: you know how names usually have meanings? I was trying to find a name I liked who's meaning reflected the theme or themes of my stories. I still haven't found a name I like yet. But then perhaps I'm not looking hard enough. :/

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Elan, I like Kat or Kate as a nickname, but not Kathy or Katie.

(My favorite Shakespeare play is TAMING OF THE SHREW because I think Kate is way cool.)

dpatridge
Member # 2208

Well, looking at it that way, probably my biggest theme right now is the corruptibility of societies. But I hardly consider that something to name myself for.

I tend towards writing rather dark fiction, insofar as its interpretation of the human condition is concerned. In other words, my stories are pessimistic.

SO... I guess that I'm looking for a name that people would equate with pessimism, nay?

Ahavah
Member # 2599

D-
How about N. Ornery Brooder?

Or Anri, if you don't want to be so obvious

pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
This is fun. I'm going to be watching for all these names now.

KDW-I like the Woodbury Dalton. It's actually very poetic. Very writer-ly.

I'm boring. I actually love my name, but I've decided to go with the first two initials and then the last name because I don't want to be automatically known as a woman. A little obvious, but it's short and easy to remember. R.A. Marks. Maybe someday I might actually get to see it in print.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

How about R.E.Marks?
Shendülféa
Member # 2408

Yeah, I was thinking about just using my first two initials and then my last name, but if I can find a good pen name, I'll use that.
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Very funny Spaceman... Now I'm always gonna think that when I type my name.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

quote:
D-
How about N. Ornery Brooder?

Or Anri, if you don't want to be so obvious

Very cute, Ahavah, but not really my cup o'tea.

The Anri is cool though. Anri L. Pessum maybe?

Woot! I think I like that one. Hehe.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
"Anri", that reminds me of the Osly Debootitec thing
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
On the line of funny pen names:
Sue Dinumb

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahavah
Member # 2599

Rider S. Block

Yeah, this is about the only thing I'm good for.

I'll keep a look out for Anri L. Pessum. You just watch for G. Della Tartaruga :P

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.