Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Children and guns (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Children and guns
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
This is not about writing, but I have to say something.

One of the kids from my fifth grade class showed up on my hospital ward today with a gunshot wound to the abdomen. His cousin shot him accidentally, while he was showing my student his father's gun.

This scenario is responsible for the vast majority of the gunshot trauma patients I see in my pediatric ward. It enrages me every time it happens, because there is no reason why it should.

If you have children, or if children are ever in your house, and you own a firearm, PLEASE keep it locked and unloaded. It doesn't matter if you've hidden it; kids are good at finding stuff, and kids think guns are toys.

Please tell everyone you know. This is more common than most people like to think, and it's completely and utterly preventable. I think that's one of the things that makes it so tragic.

My student will be fine, by the way. He's been pretty chill about it the entire time; he was telling his mother not to cry as they were wheeling him into the emergency room yesterday morning. The bullet just tore up his intestines a little, and it was easily fixed. But it could have been a lot worse, and it often is.

Do whatever you can, to prevent stuff like this from happening. Please. This guy is only eleven years old, he's a wonderful kid and a fantastic student, and he'll carry a bullet in his abdomen for the rest of his life because his uncle left a firearm around the house.

For more information about ensuring your kids' safety: http://rileychildrenshospital.com/caringforkids/firearmsafety.html

[This message has been edited by Jeraliey (edited July 09, 2005).]

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
hopekeeper
Member # 2701

- posted      Profile for hopekeeper   Email hopekeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't agree more--plus, if a child just HAS to have a gun (for whatever reason they think they want one...) buy them (or make them buy their own) an airsoft gun! Plastic BBs, plastic guns, and many of them look real! (which surprisingly appeals to people my age... I don't know).
Yeah, this is one of the major problems I have with todays society... one of many...

Posts: 73 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I favor simply teaching the kids to use the actual firearm.

Of course, I'm terrible about this because I don't even bother to have any personal firearms at all. But I promise that, before my kids get old enough to be curious about guns, I will have some around the house to use in teaching them.

They'll probably be black powder weapons, though...I'm such a geek. That's almost as bad as those toy guns.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you completely. It takes 6 pounds of pressure to fire a trigger. That's about the same amount of pressure used when an infant squeezes your finger. Having guns in the house directly impacts the statistics for suicide. Many more people follow through with suicide because the gun is available than would if they had to choose an alternative method. And when my best friend's son was 5, he shot his brother in the leg. The boy had climbed to the top of the shelving unit that held the unloaded gun, found the bullets in his uncle's bedroom, loaded the gun, and was demonstrating it's use to his 3 year old brother when it went off accidentally. It's insane to keep guns in the same house as kids - loaded OR unloaded. On the other hand, I think it's insane to have guns anyhow. But that's just me.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is stupid to have a weapon in the home for the purpose of self defense if you keep the ammunition locked away. It will be of absolutely no value in the event of an actual emergency. You won't have time to get the gun out, get the ammo out, put it together, then shoot the bad guy who is raping your wife. Sorry.

My father kept guns in the house during our entire childhood. I was never once tempted to play with them. Beginning at about age 4 my father taught each of his children gun safety over and over. To prove how dangerous guns were, he took us out to the woods, pointed out a cute squirrel or chipmunk, then blew it away. The incident was memorable and taught us to respect the weapons. It's not like the guns were laying around, my father kept them somewhere high up and out of sight, but the ammunition was in the same location. To this day I feel respect bordering on awe whenever I hold a gun, and am extremely careful to obey safety precautions.

I have five brothers and two sisters, and not once did any of us ever do something stupid with a gun, though we have all shot them often at ranges and in wilderness areas with my father's supervision, to learn how to use them.

In my opinion, the problem with guns is that parents don't take the time to properly train their children in the usage and care. I don't believe anyone should own a gun who does not practice with it to the point of confidence, so that in the event they had to use it they would know what to do.

My 2 cents. Oh, and Survivor, I like black powder rifles as well. They're fun.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, Jeraily -- that stuff doesn't have to happen. I plan to do with my children precisely what my father did to me.

Step one: Teach the kids to use the guns.

Honestly, I don't know why this isn't in the public service messages more often. Even if they're like me and not interested in actually going to the shooting range and firing the thing, my father insisted that I know how they worked (he had hunting rifles), he taught me basic gun safety (like don't point it at a person even if you don't think its loaded), and he showed me how to load it and fire it. This made two things true: first, I knew better than to play with the thing and second if I wanted to play with the thing I didn't have to sneak it ouf of my dad's sock drawer (he didn't keep it there, but it's one of the myriad of silly places I've heard of them being) ... all I had to do was ask my father to take me to the shooting range.

Step two: Lock it up anyway.

This one's obvious.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ken_hawk
Member # 2647

- posted      Profile for ken_hawk   Email ken_hawk         Edit/Delete Post 
when i was little my dad would go out deer hunting with his rifles, and when he came home he always had a deer that he had shot and he showed us just what they were capable of. it didnt make us scared of them but it did make us respect the power they have. and my siblings and i have been shooting with my dad since we were five years old, so we never really felt like it was a big deal to shoot one, so we never got them out at home or anything if my dad wasnt there. its kinda like germany having no drinking age, the kids dont go out and get drunk every night(sure some do) but most dont because it isnt forbidden. not that playing with guns shouldnt be forbidden, but if parents taught their kids how to use them and let them use them often under adult supervision then it wouldnt be as big a deal to the kids.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a shotgun, two deer rifles, a .22 target rifle and a pistol in the house. All are made safe by using bar lock ties to prevent ammo being loaded, and/or have the bolt removed, and/or have a trigger lock on them, are in a gun safe, and the ammo is in a separate safe in my bedroom.

Still, I have taught my kids gun safety and will continue to do so and we are going to start shooting at the range this summer. At some point I will slaughter some poor innocent animal in front of them to teach them what it means to point a gun and shoot it. And as per family rules, if we kill it, we eat it, so I'm going to make sure it is something I want to eat!

A few months ago, number 2 son was demonstrating an unpleasant propensity for killing geckos. So, according to the family rules, I took one of them and cleaned it and cooked the tail up in front of him. Then made him go sit down at the table so I could serve him (at which time I switched the lizard tail for the green-food-dyed chicken sliver) the lizard. The poor kid cried up a storm, but ate it and the gecko killing stopped. He tells all the other kids in the neighborhood about it once a month or so and says "and it tasted just like chicken!" And I just grin. Score one for Dad.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
abby
Member # 2681

- posted      Profile for abby   Email abby         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, that sounds like something my dad would have done. My dad had shotguns when we were kids; they hung on the wall racks, probably fully loaded. We never touched them. Watching dad target practice, hanging the paper targets, and seeing them blown away as a toddler taught you the value of a gun quick. He also taught me to never get in the line of a gun while playing.

There is a tiny part of me that would like to know how to shoot, if I ever needed to know how to catch my own food. However, I am not sure I am strong enough now. If I ever needed to, though, I would learn with what I had available, which is likely to be vastly different than what is readily available to target practice with today.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome Mike. "It tasted just like chicken." LOL.

Well, my husband is a cop. There's just no avoiding having guns in the house. Our theory is the same as autumnmuse's dad. We show them the power of the gun, and they have NO desire to touch it. My husband took me shooting on our honnymoon (he's usually very romantic). He wanted to be sure that if I lived with the gun, I would know how to use it. I only go often enough to make sure I can blow somebody away if they're trying to hurt my kids (my husband works nights and people around here get their houses broken into a lot).

I agree there needs to be more education about this stuff. Just saying no to guns isn't the answer. The nuts will still have them. No matter how many laws you make it won't matter either. You just make it harder for the guy who's just trying to protect his family. The criminals don't obey the laws, so it won't keep them from getting the guns, will it?

My 2 cents...

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

quote:
To prove how dangerous guns were, he took us out to the woods, pointed out a cute squirrel or chipmunk, then blew it away.

I have to admit something horrible, I couldn't help laughing at that one. I think that I'll probably use the old shotgunning a watermelon trick, myself. It's okay with me if my kids think I hate watermelons

Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
"If you kill it, you eat it." My dad had that policy too.

Some years ago, this policy was the end of my live target practice at groundhogs with my new longbow.

I think Mike and my dad would get along very well.

Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband killed a rabbit, but not in front of the kids. That would have been much more effective (I have to admit that I laughed out loud at the squirrel thing too... ) My father-in-law ate the poor beast. After I'd skinned it and gutting it I had no desire to become any more intimate with it (My husband couldn't do it. I guess all those biology/anatomy classes in college finally paid off). You know it's not the blood, it's the smell. Blah!
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for this inspiring discussion! We have the "you kill it, you eat it" policy in our home. Last summer, my nine year old son shot a groundsquirrel with his BB gun while we were camping, and we lugged the carcass home in our cooler. Unfortunately, it went bad, and so we did not make our son eat it. I guess we should have roasted it over the campfire!

I think that if guns are some big, mysterious thing in a household, the fascination for them is much greater. When they are a part of life, and used responsibly, the appeal to kids lessens significantly.

I am so grateful for the right we still have to bear arms! (Though those rights tend to become more eroded every year... )

In order to add the subject of writing to this thread, how many of you who write about gun use, have actually fired one? Just curious...

~LL

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Me. But only at targets. I never got into hunting like I did fishing, and I've never had the need to shoot at a person (and Lord willing, I never will).
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ransom
Member # 2712

- posted      Profile for Ransom   Email Ransom         Edit/Delete Post 
I shot rifles back when I was in Boy Scouts, but was a lot better with the compound bow. I remember that archery had a significant fascination among all the kids, and the archery merit badge was one of the most popular at camp that summer, but only a few kids got it, and of that number, I may have been the only one who got himself his own bow when I got home. I don't fire it anymore.

I think that kids' fascination with guns is the same as with cigarettes and alcohol and the family car: they're viewed as adult things, and kids spend every minute of their lives striving, consciously or subconsciously, to become adults. This holds a kind of aura around them, and kids want to experiment to prove that they're old enough or mature enough. Take that fascination away, and kids don't want it as much.

That's why I'm glad I shot guns and drank beer and such before I got to high school. Just like my compound bow, as soon as it became a normal part of life, the fascination it held for me died down, till I was even surprised to find it when cleaning out my closet yesterday. I'll be starting a family soon, and I don't know if I'll keep a handgun around for protection and such, but if I do, I'm glad I read this thread, because I've gotten some great ideas as to how I can teach my kids about gun safety.

While I have to admit I didn't really laugh at the squirrel thing, you can be sure that I will copy it when necessary.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
The squirrel thing reminds me of a Harlan Ellison (true) story where he shot a gopher and mailed it to a publisher as part of a battle over rights to a book.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
The really sick and twisted part of it is that I WANTED to eat the squirrel afterwards, and cried when my mom threw out the tail (it was pretty smelly) that I was going to keep. Didn't get to eat the squirrel either.

Another time, when I was only about three, I was down at a creek exploring for critters with my dad, and actually caught a very small frog. Small enough to fit through the opening of a soda can. I know this because that's how I took it home; my thumb over the hole and shaking it vigorously every few seconds to see if the frog was still there. I had heard that people ate frog legs and I could just imagine how they tasted; very tender meat. I wanted so badly to eat frog legs and my dad had me all excited that I would get to eat my frog when I got home. My mom of course burst that bubble and I had to watch the corpse of my poor tortured frog go flying through the air into the weeds behind the back yard. Sigh. I have still never had frog legs, and I still want to.

Though I have had dog from a street vendor in Thailand, and it was mighty tasty. Yum.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

quote:
I only go (target shooting) often enough to make sure I can blow somebody away if they're trying to hurt my kids...

Just wondering - does the "if you kill it you have to eat it" rule apply?

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I am 35 and I've never seen, touched nor heard a gun. (only those in policemen's holsters).
But then, I'm Australian, we have a different bunch of laws here. (No conspiracy theorists, please).

By the way, I'm serious, never ever ever ever.

I did know a guy when I was young who used to shoot kangaroos, his son shot him in the back accidentally. They were American

I hope this is not too incendiary a comment: I don't understand gun-fetishism, whether it is in the USA or Arabia or where ever.

:rant deleted:

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited July 10, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Neither do I. I don't understand why people have fetishes about any kinds of powered tools, be they chainsaws or trucks or even motorcycles.

Of course, I was in the Boy Scouts and later the Army, so it isn't like firearms weren't basically a normal part of my life. Like computers are now...I don't get people who get all fetishy about computers either, by the way.

Elan
Member # 2442

hoptoad, I'm on your band-wagon. My dad was a hunter, my brother hunts. I was raised with guns in the house, but they were never used except during hunting season (for you Aussies, deer are hunted in early fall, elk are hunted in late fall.) I've handled a gun before. I was even forced into taking a hunter safety class because my brother wanted to take my (then) 12 year old son out hunting in the typical male-bonding ritual and the class required a parent to attend with him. Since I was a single mom, I got stuck with the duty.

But I have never understood why people think having a gun in the house makes them safer. I won't have one in mine.

Statistically, more people die due to being shot by someone they know than live because they had a gun and successfully defended themselves against strangers. The numbers don't support the public's misperception of owning guns for safety reasons.

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

Ransom said: "I'll be starting a family soon, and I don't know if I'll keep a handgun around for protection and such, but if I do, I'm glad I read this thread, because I've gotten some great ideas as to how I can teach my kids about gun safety."

Wow. I totally needed to hear that. Thanks, Ransom

Ransom
Member # 2712

Hey, s'truth. If/when I live in a neighborhood with high crime rates, I'm going to want to make sure my wife and children are protected, and I'll just feel that much better with a St. Bernard and a Glocke nearby. But if my interest is protecting my family, I'd be shooting myself in the foot (pardon the cliche) if I didn't teach my kids how to act around guns. I hadn't really given the idea that much consideration before, but now I do, and it's giving me good insights into how I can keep my family safe. We need more threads like this one around here.

And by the way, frog-legs are excellent. They are very tender, with a taste and texture somewhere between chicken and fish. They're pretty boney, and wonderful when fried. Roger Ebert gives them two thumbs up.

(I almost wrote "Siskel and Ebert." How's that for force of habit?)

Survivor
Member # 213

I've always been suspicious of the claim that some number which is actually tracked is necessarilly higher than some number which is not tracked. I mean, nobody knows what the second number is, so how can you make a valid claim that it is higher or lower than another number which is known?

Now, the truth is that there are people that don't need any kind of weapon (or dog) for self defense. But just because I don't need a handgun, that doesn't mean that I'm going to forbid my kids to learn about them. Kids should learn about firearms and firearm safety, just the way they need to learn about electricity and bathtubs. Is there a significant chance that having electricity and bathtubs in my house will end up killing one of my kids? Well...yeah, but....

Crap, I can't think of a justification for having electricity and bathtubs now. But I'm going to have them anyway.

Maybe.

goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
We were raised in the woods, and there were always guns around. They resided in the back of my parent's closet. This was as good as being locked in a vault in Fort Knox. Nobody went into our parent's bedroom except our parents. Ever.

I have hunted, although not in a number of years, and I still maintain a small number of firearms. With farm critters, there is always the possibility of needing to put one down. You can't always call the vet, and there are really very few who make farm calls anyway. The non-firearm possibilties don't appeal to me.

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

From a 2004 report with data compiled from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
2911 American children and teens were killed by gunfire
--1771 were murdered by gunfire
--928 committed suicide with a firearm
--182 died in accidental shootings
Gun violence has taken the lives of 93,000 children in America since 1979.
http://www.childrensdefense.org/education/gunviolence/gunreport_2004.pdf

cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

- posted      Profile for cklabyrinth           Edit/Delete Post 
I once saw on an episode of the West Wing (one of the episodes with Ted McGinley--Jefferson Darcy from Married, With Children), where they were having a debate and one of the President's aides had some statistics from gun deaths in countries with gun control laws in place. They were staggeringly low, compared to those in America.

That is, if the statistics were accurate (which I have no reason to believe they aren't; Aaron Sorkin writes some nice dialogue and normally has all of his stuff in order), and if I'm remembering the example right, which I tend not to do sometimes.

For all I know it could have been abortion or something. I suppose I'll have to re-watch the first three seasons to find out. :>

Posts: 179 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
The most compelling reasons for the free exercise of the Second Amendment, IMHO, are included in the following quotes:

[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.
---James Madison,The Federalist Papers, No. 46.

Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States. A military force, at the command of Congress, can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealousy will instantly inspire the inclination, to resist the execution of a law which appears to them unjust and oppressive.
---Noah Webster, An Examination of the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution (Philadelphia 1787).

Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American...[T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people.
---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

AND, last, but not least, my favorite quote by the Founding Fathers (Really makes me ponder the ridiculous legislation that has been pushed through in the recent past-- especially those instituted post 9-11...)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

(Okay, this is conducive to the subject of writing because I hope to use that quote in a story someday! )

Oh, by the by, I wonder what the statistics for gun accidents in the home were in the US during the 1800's. I'll take a wild guess and say that more gun control does not guarantee the safety of any-- children or otherwise.

~LL

Ransom
Member # 2712

Those are some awesome quotes from our founding fathers. I've heard the one from Benny Franklin a number of times referring to 9-11, but that's a whole 'nother thread topic!

Not to mention, the right to bear arms is also certainly in the nation's best interests. Supposing a foreign enemy invades America from either coast, putting troops on our soil: They'll do battle with the best of our military for a couple hundred miles, and if they get past that, what do they encounter?

The Heartland.

Any enemy would find four shotguns and seven deer rifles for every shrub in the Appalachian mountians, and if they made it past the Mississippi I can tell you personally that there'd be bloody battle for every city block that the trenches of WWI were poor preparation for.

Now if only we could expand on the right to "bear arms" and allow a right to "arm bears." I hear nothing can be more intimidating than a grizzly with an uzi!

But the fact of the matter is, nothing the government can do will impact a child's life as much as the parents and the education systems. No amount of gun control can compensate for neglect, and that is why it is crucial that, while adults retain their Constitutional hold on firearms, they also educate their children about the power of these weapons. A kid will pick it up because he's seen Arnold Schwarzenegger, or Uncle Joe, do the same thing a hundred times, but if he's as ignorant/culturally-minded as most other children in this country, he will not know what he's doing.

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
The report Elan linked to does show accidental gun deaths among those under 20 declining steadily from 726 in 1979 to only 182 in 2001.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
For some international stats, here are some from Canada.
http://www.guncontrol.ca/Content/TheCaseForGunControl.html [WARNING: This is a propaganda site pushing for tougher gun control in Canada, but some of the information may still be of interest.]

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Its a shame that a gun wont protect your family from a bomb on a bus or a biological agent in a train.

Those founding fathers...

Perhaps the "owning a gun = self defense" is a relic of a bygone age.

I totally believe in using guns if you need them for work, ie on a farm. But don't think they should be propagated as items to be used for fun. Just like you wouldn't propagate the idea of a recreational chainsawing or post-hole-augering as a cool pasttime.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited July 11, 2005).]

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

Dysanalogy; you've obviously never done any chainsaw-sculpting
hoptoad
Member # 2145

DYSANALOGY, cool word. May I stand near it?
Yes I have done chainsaw sculpting, twice in a sulky.
I have also sculpted with a post-hole auger AND a bren gun, AT THE SAME TIME!

You forgot chainsaw juggling, I've done that too.

I also have a bridge for sale...

Anyway sculptures not fun... its art!

Ransom
Member # 2712

In the movie The Great Outdoors, with John Candy and Dan Akroyd, there is a lamp that was made from a shotgun. That was pretty artistic.

But the point is, there have been people whose lives were saved because they owned a gun and kept it nearby. Breakins are common almost anywhere, and in Oklahoma, my homestate and one with very many gun owners, they are resisted. The question is whether the benefits of having these guns around outweighs the costs, most notably the danger of a child getting their hands on one and misusing it. In my opinion, if you're really deadset on owning a gun, it is your responsibility to teach your children how to respect it. I don't advocate that everybody own one - the beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that possession is only optional. But Stan Lee taught us that with great power comes great responsibility, and firearms are certainly a great power.

And if you teach your kids how to respect your gun, you are left with the benefits of being able to protect yourself.

hoptoad
Member # 2145

'struth Ransom, you sound like a dead-set Aussie.
Where are you coming up with this Strine?

Your not hiding your little aussie light under your massive oklahoma bushel are you?

PS: People have been saved by leaving ten minutes late for work too. We are riding the ragged rim of a vicious circle here.

Survivor
Member # 213

We're getting off the subject, aren't we?

I have to say, in a gun-free society, persons of my physical class enjoy a lot of advantages, some of which I'll pass on to my children. So I'm not really personally vested in the right to bear arms. I just happen to think that it's a good idea.

How good an idea? Let's just say that I'm a lot less comfortable with the risk/cost/benefit curve of having cars, toilets, electricity, etc. That's just me. We do an awful lot of things merely for the sake of convenience which are horribly dangerous (even to children), or have a lot of undesirable side effects, or are just dumb.

I don't think that it's worth getting hysterical over this one. I used firearms when I was a kid, and I got into plenty of accidents involving some level of bodily damage. The two were never connected in my own case, so that might have something to do with my perspective. Under "things that can hurt me a lot", I have such things as cars, washing machines, furnaces, house wiring, brothers , and so on and so forth. Firearms are listed under "things that theoretically could hurt me, but never have".

Frankly, the vast majority of parents who own firearms manage to avoid tragedy. So do the vast majority of children raised around firearms. So it isn't like owning a handgun is passing a death sentance on your kids or anything. It's a risk, one that a parent should acknowledge and manage appropriately. Like having a car (if you choose to do that, not everyone does), or a house, or trees.

Ransom
Member # 2712

Aussie? Hm, Aussie... let me think.

Born in Oklahoma, raised in Oklahoma, mother from Oklahoma, father from Michigan...

Part-Dutch, part-Danish, part-German, part-English, part-Irish, part-Scottish, part-French...

No Aussie blood, but I did love Crocodile Dundee! Does that count?

And don't worry, I wasn't getting off topic. In fact, I think everyone here has reached a consensus: people have the right to own handguns (unless they live somewhere where they don't) and some people make the choice, and some people don't. Those who choose to own one have a responsibility to make sure that their children or other children, and society in general, aren't threatened by the danger they can pose. Those who don't own one are exempt from the responsibility, at least concerning handguns. Most of us still have to teach our children about the dangers of washing machines, etc.

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

quote:
DYSANALOGY, cool word. May I stand near it?

I'm a neologificationist

We need a "-fix Affixer" on the HUB, to let us use prefixes and suffixes as we wish in order to create words that say exactly what we want them to.

hoptoad
Member # 2145

I was definitely off-topic.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited July 12, 2005).]

Survivor
Member # 213

Somebody coin me a word for shotgunning a watermelon for educational purposes, while you're at it.
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here is a list of all kind of "kill" related words.

http://phrontistery.info/kill.html

You could use a general term like herbicide, or just adapt thte "~cide" suffix. Perhaps "Melonicide" - killing of a melon; or "Cucurbiticide" - Killing of a gourd (watermelons belong to the gourd family). Or perhaps a latin style creation such as "Cucurbitaperdo" - Destruction of a melon or gourd; or "Citullus lanatus pessum do" - Destruction of a Watermelon.

Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

Ooo... Robyn, you're good!
MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Cucurbiticide...it reminds me of utricide. And since Survivor plans to shoot the melon instead of a small, furry animal...it works so well!

Cucurbiticide: one who shoots a melon instead of an animal, for educational purposes.

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

I like your definition!
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States.

On the topic of writing, I'd love to see someone make a credible story out of this. I don't think it could be done, at least not set any time after about 1957. Today the United States Air Force alone could wipe out every civilian in America without taking a single casualty (unless it was friendly fire). There just wouldn't be a story.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, given that credibility is relative, it's been done.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
I own firearms, and have been familiar with them since a very young age (9 or 10, I think). As others have mentioned, it was the serious respect for all weapons instilled in me by my father that kept me safe. In fact, he now he claims I'm safer around firearms than he is, and I plan to pass on that particular trait to my children.

I genuinely believe that more kids will attempt to play with, and be killed by, guns if they think there is something curious or mysterious about them. If curiosity can kill a cat (and those buggers seem to be pretty good at avoiding trouble), it can probably kill a child. Knowledge of how a gun works, why it is dangerous in the wrong hands, and whose hands it should never be in are three effective deterrents of the mishandling of firearms, IMO. A video clip of someone getting injured by being stupid with a gun might not hurt, either, though something tells me that's a bit extreme (not to mention potentially traumatizing for a young person). In the end, knowledge is power (thank you Schoolhouse Rock).

Another issue with firearms involves the use of them by persons trying to defend their own homes. A lot of people think that simply having a gun under their pillow (metaphorically speaking) makes their house secure. Considering that virtually anyone can go out to a gun shop and (assuming they have a clean record and the necessary funds) purchase a firearm. The problem with firearms and, more specifically, handguns is that it does take a measure of skill to use them effectively. For example, if I went out and bought a Glock 17 semi-automatic pistol and did not have practical knowledge on how to use it, I might seriously bungle any attempt to halt an intruder. 'Bungle' might be too nice a word.

I wouldn't know that you have to pull back the slide to chamber the first round after ramming the clip home, or that the iron sights on the thing are actually a bit off (since I've never fired it at the range before). I wouldn't know that the pistol is so light that its recoil might kick it upward in my inexperienced/incorrect grasp, throwing off the next shot(s). And finally, I wouldn't have the proper practice or training to to fire the weapon accurately. Inside a house you have to be very careful how you handle any firearm...especially if you have family members in there with you. A high-powered round from virtually any weapon can easily punch through drywall or plaster and kill someone on the other side. Certain ammunition will not penetrate interior walls (yet still hit the intruder as hard as ever)...but I, Ignorant Owner, wouldn't know any of that.

And what if the other guy has a gun too? What if I just shoot him in the leg (probably a lucky shot in the first place), and he in turn shoots me in the chest from the floor. That would end my attempt to stop him really quick. These are all just possible scenarios. If you do own a gun, but aren't very familiar with it...please learn as soon as possible. It's almost as bad as driving around a battle tank without the proper training. That big red button might discharge the main cannon and take out that shiny new BMW in the neighbor's driveway. You just have to hope the guy's kids weren't in it at the time.

Inkwell
--------------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hope this is not too incendiary a comment: I don't understand gun-fetishism, whether it is in the USA or Arabia or where ever

Interesting that in places like Washington D.C. and New York City, with very strict gun laws, they have very high crime rates. Places like Texas or Arizona, where I've seen people golfing whle armed, those rates are far lower.
There's a military-issue weapon in pretty much every home in Switzerland. Not much crime there.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.